Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Meeting with the directors 11:29 - Jan 14 with 40135 viewsColDale

In case you missed it, this was announced a few days ago
http://www.daletrust.co.uk/2018/01/meeting-with-the-directors-january-2018/

Meeting with the directors on 15:47 - Jan 28 with 3672 viewsTVOS1907

Meeting with the directors on 15:46 - Jan 28 by roccydaleian

I was. we got shafted, we got over it. It wasn't me who was kicking up a fuss. I totally get the points btw. Now, is it a bad thing some good came out of a bad situation?

You're still missing the point and posting like a Trust board member instead of a fan.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Meeting with the directors on 15:52 - Jan 28 with 3648 viewspioneer

Meeting with the directors on 14:19 - Jan 28 by Dalenet

I appreciate the Trust taking time to write part 2. I remain saddened that the Directors don't understand the impact on the fans of not them being able to communicate effectively. There are maybe 100 or so fans that travel quite long distances to home games. I would expect the club to be making update announcements at 10am on match days should there be a potential issue. That way we have choices. They used to do that and I cant help but believe that the lack of a customer focussed person on the board now doesn't help. At least Mr Kelly made his business through being close to customers and we seem to miss him enormously.

I don't trust my club anymore. I have travelled several times in recent seasons, and not only spent a small fortune on petrol, I lost the cost of my hotel booking at the Norton Grange. I simply don't book my weekends in January or February anymore as we cant be confident in anything. Great to hear that club looked after the sponsors and the Southend media though. I feel special too. :(

I accept the pitch is disgraceful and the Directors cant snap their fingers to fix it. But they can get the club staff to communicate. I genuinely believe that they were told not to communicate in case the pitch became playable and we lost some travelling support. Just how I feel. I have always been taught to behave with integrity in business.

One thought. About 6 years ago during the cold months I seem to recall the Trust texting fans about potential pitch inspections and postponements. Don't want to put undue pressure on the volunteers but wonder whether that would be possible again?

It might be worth you, or perhaps the trust, without wishing to dump on them, to forward your carefully worded letter of concern to the board.

They do tend to provide ‘politicians’ answers to most of the concerns presented by the trust, sort of answering questions they wish had been asked as oposed to the ones that were asked.

I have felt the same way as you Dalenet for many years, to theextent of arranging my attendence at Dale games around the rest of my life as opposed to vice versa many years ago.
Meeting with the directors on 17:18 - Jan 28 with 3494 viewsroccydaleian

Meeting with the directors on 15:47 - Jan 28 by TVOS1907

You're still missing the point and posting like a Trust board member instead of a fan.

I try to think as both. I realise something has happened and the board seems to have lost touch with the average fan and seem to think the corporate way is the future. This to me is a dangerous way to go as our average fan (for want of a better word) is the bread and butter and lifeblood of the club we all love. This is now made worse by a bad season on the pitch, and obviously the pitch itself. The board now need to have a look and start rebuilding bridges imo, and try to get back team Rochdale. However I still think some good things that happen do go unappreciated. Up The Dale.
Meeting with the directors on 20:32 - Jan 28 with 3312 viewsRAFCBLUE

Meeting with the directors on 14:19 - Jan 28 by Dalenet

I appreciate the Trust taking time to write part 2. I remain saddened that the Directors don't understand the impact on the fans of not them being able to communicate effectively. There are maybe 100 or so fans that travel quite long distances to home games. I would expect the club to be making update announcements at 10am on match days should there be a potential issue. That way we have choices. They used to do that and I cant help but believe that the lack of a customer focussed person on the board now doesn't help. At least Mr Kelly made his business through being close to customers and we seem to miss him enormously.

I don't trust my club anymore. I have travelled several times in recent seasons, and not only spent a small fortune on petrol, I lost the cost of my hotel booking at the Norton Grange. I simply don't book my weekends in January or February anymore as we cant be confident in anything. Great to hear that club looked after the sponsors and the Southend media though. I feel special too. :(

I accept the pitch is disgraceful and the Directors cant snap their fingers to fix it. But they can get the club staff to communicate. I genuinely believe that they were told not to communicate in case the pitch became playable and we lost some travelling support. Just how I feel. I have always been taught to behave with integrity in business.

One thought. About 6 years ago during the cold months I seem to recall the Trust texting fans about potential pitch inspections and postponements. Don't want to put undue pressure on the volunteers but wonder whether that would be possible again?

I'm an exiled supporter Dalenet and I agree with you.

Some clubs have a standard way of confirming that a game is on, without saying it's on by posting a picture of the pitch, weather etc early on a Saturday.

It's a standard post/tweet that makes it easy to make an initial decision as to set off or wait.

If a game is in doubt they can say that as early as 9 am on the day of a game that might be the case. I'm not holding them responsible if I set off and it's called off (it happens) but it allows me to educate my decision.

The latest I'd need to set off is Noon. At that point you can give me at least an indication that a game might be on.

It's basic communication skills.

There was also a point in the Trust answers about fans buying tickets for away games from the club and the club getting 5% of that profit.

If you're an exile this is the state of play for Northampton (a) next weekend.

Option 1 - Buy a ticket from the club in advance.

Cost to me: £26; (Ticket £22 + £1 admin fee + £3 postage)
Club gets revenue of £5.10 (£1.10 ticket commision + £1 admin fee + £3 towards postage)

Option 2 - I buy a ticket at Northampton

Cost to me: £24
Club gets revenue of zero.

I'm £2 (7%) better off not using the club!

Until you solve that problem of the basic economics of the cost to me, where is the incentive for me to purchase an away ticket as an exile from Rochdale unless it is an all ticket scenario (i.e. Barrow or Slough (a) )

I admire the tenacity of the Trust in these matters but there is something fundamental in being able to see that pricing issue before making that point that it would be good for fans to buy tickets in advance!

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Meeting with the directors on 20:37 - Jan 28 with 3300 viewsTVOS1907

Meeting with the directors on 20:32 - Jan 28 by RAFCBLUE

Some clubs have a standard way of confirming that a game is on, without saying it's on by posting a picture of the pitch, weather etc early on a Saturday.

It's a standard post/tweet that makes it easy to make an initial decision as to set off or wait.

If a game is in doubt they can say that as early as 9 am on the day of a game that might be the case. I'm not holding them responsible if I set off and it's called off (it happens) but it allows me to educate my decision.

The latest I'd need to set off is Noon. At that point you can give me at least an indication that a game might be on.

There was also a point in the Trust answers about fans buying tickets for away games from the club and the club getting 5% of that profit.

Club gets revenue of £5.10 (£1.10 ticket commision + £1 admin fee + £3 towards postage)

Until you solve that problem of the basic economics of the cost to me, where is the incentive for me to purchase an away ticket as an exile from Rochdale unless it is an all ticket scenario (i.e. Barrow or Slough (a) )

I admire the tenacity of the Trust in these matters but there is something fundamental in being able to see that pricing issue before making that point that it would be good for fans to buy tickets in advance!

There is an Option 3 if you know someone who could get one for you and (a) bring it to Northampton or (b) stick it in the post.

But I get your point (if not your ticket).
[Post edited 28 Jan 2018 20:37]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Meeting with the directors on 20:48 - Jan 28 with 3269 viewsRAFCBLUE

Meeting with the directors on 20:37 - Jan 28 by TVOS1907

There is an Option 3 if you know someone who could get one for you and (a) bring it to Northampton or (b) stick it in the post.

But I get your point (if not your ticket).
[Post edited 28 Jan 2018 20:37]

True TVOS.

But it shouldn't need to introduce a middleman (or woman), particularly when the club can do that economics without me, you or someone else noting the point.

The way to do it would be:

* Sell the ticket at the advance rate (£22)
* Scrap the admin fee (because the club makes a commission that covers their cost)
* Charge the actual, rather than marked up postage (£1.66)

Cost to me £23.66
Club takes revenue of £2.76 (£1.10 commission plus the postage)

Never understood it.

If you wanted to be super slick you could say the club gave some of the commission as a further discount to anyone purchasing at the ticket office.

That would encourage fans to visit and use the Spotland ticket office for away tickets as it would be the cheapest possible way to get an away ticket, effectively slightly subsidised by the club.

Add in previous suggestions to track customer purchases and you have a really good way of encouraging participation, judging coach needs and attracting a loyalty that doesn't exist currently in using that facility.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/

Meeting with the directors on 20:50 - Jan 28 with 3266 viewspioneer

Meeting with the directors on 20:32 - Jan 28 by RAFCBLUE

even accepting your valid point,how can they justify 3 quid for postage? What is the price of a stamp and an envelope? Surely the labour is what the admin fee is for.

A proper business would recognise that they are making money out of this so incur the costs of postage and labour, modest as they are, out of this additional revenue. That way everybody wins. Instead it seems to be used as another way of extracting money out of the fans.
Meeting with the directors on 21:19 - Jan 28 with 3200 viewsnordenblue

Meeting with the directors on 20:50 - Jan 28 by pioneer

even accepting your valid point,how can they justify 3 quid for postage? What is the price of a stamp and an envelope? Surely the labour is what the admin fee is for.

A proper business would recognise that they are making money out of this so incur the costs of postage and labour, modest as they are, out of this additional revenue. That way everybody wins. Instead it seems to be used as another way of extracting money out of the fans.

Do the tickets get sent special delivery though or is it just simply lobbed in an envelope with a 1st class stamp on,I don't know but may explain the rather high charge if so
Login to get fewer ads

Meeting with the directors on 22:11 - Jan 28 with 3123 viewsRAFCBLUE

Meeting with the directors on 21:19 - Jan 28 by nordenblue

Do the tickets get sent special delivery though or is it just simply lobbed in an envelope with a 1st class stamp on,I don't know but may explain the rather high charge if so

In my experiences, they are sent via signed for post either first or second class.

First class signed for costs £1.75 and second class signed for costs £1.66.

At £3, that is a £1.25 or £1.34 profit or a 71.4% or 80.7% mark up respectively and on top of the £1 PER TICKET admin fee.

Thing is, I don't mind the concept of the fee - it's the complaining that I don't buy my away tickets when it's uneconomic to do so that gets me.

Meeting with the directors on 22:28 - Jan 28 with 3086 viewsRAFCBLUE

Meeting with the directors on 20:50 - Jan 28 by pioneer

No idea of what the justification of £3 is. There is a cost, it's not £3.

Thing is, if the club saw the bigger picture and thought about this then it could work as follows:

23 away games - average away following 400 (balancing out games like bury and Oldham with Gillingham and Plymouth). Most of those 500 are the same people. Average ticket price is £20. 5% commission.

The season's commission revenue potential is £9,200 (400*23). That's a significant percentage of the cost of the person who does the admin paid for.

In that case why not:

1) Scrap the admin fee completely and charge postage at cost.
2) Try to upsell additional services to the 400 - ask every single one of them who buys if they would like to book on the coach, are they coming to the next home game, promote the shop etc.
3) Single the 400 out for special promotions, targetted rewards and positive reinforcement that encourages supporters to use the ticket office.

Simple things sell product.

Meeting with the directors on 22:43 - Jan 28 with 3048 views442Dale

Going totally off-topic: watching Trump on tv now tell the world all the great things he's done when faced with questions that might require some sort of self-reflection.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Meeting with the directors on 22:45 - Jan 28 with 3038 viewsDaleiLama

Meeting with the directors on 22:28 - Jan 28 by RAFCBLUE

No idea of what the justification of £3 is. There is a cost, it's not £3.

Thing is, if the club saw the bigger picture and thought about this then it could work as follows:

23 away games - average away following 400 (balancing out games like bury and Oldham with Gillingham and Plymouth). Most of those 500 are the same people. Average ticket price is £20. 5% commission.

The season's commission revenue potential is £9,200 (400*23). That's a significant percentage of the cost of the person who does the admin paid for.

In that case why not:

1) Scrap the admin fee completely and charge postage at cost.
2) Try to upsell additional services to the 400 - ask every single one of them who buys if they would like to book on the coach, are they coming to the next home game, promote the shop etc.
3) Single the 400 out for special promotions, targetted rewards and positive reinforcement that encourages supporters to use the ticket office.

Simple things sell product.

If memory serves, internet sales incur an admin fee cos the 'service' is carried out by a third party. Consequently, (so the argument went) in order not to undercut internet sales, telephone sales and ticket office sales have to charge the admin fee too. Totally backward logic. Why can't we take internet sales in house and scrap the admin fee? Is the software really that prohibitive?
[Post edited 28 Jan 2018 22:47]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Meeting with the directors on 17:31 - Jan 29 with 2667 viewsnordenblue

I'm surprised more hasn't been made or questioned with regard to the "wrong mix" surely someone's accountable for that major fook up, also after the pitch being deemed "playable" during the first pitch inspection around 11am from memory wasn't in then dry right up to kick off,again totally going against what was mentioned in these notes?
Meeting with the directors on 17:41 - Jan 29 with 2629 views442Dale

Meeting with the directors on 17:31 - Jan 29 by nordenblue

I'm surprised more hasn't been made or questioned with regard to the "wrong mix" surely someone's accountable for that major fook up, also after the pitch being deemed "playable" during the first pitch inspection around 11am from memory wasn't in then dry right up to kick off,again totally going against what was mentioned in these notes?

The minute you start to pick apart answers to questions, both parts, it starts to make the head hurt. It’s why I’ve refused to so far.

The only good thing is that we now know where we stand.

Meeting with the directors on 17:55 - Jan 29 with 2600 viewsEllDale

In the Sandy?

In fact, has Sandy Lane ever been more apt?
Meeting with the directors on 19:47 - Jan 29 with 2481 viewsRAFCBLUE

Meeting with the directors on 22:45 - Jan 28 by DaleiLama

If memory serves, internet sales incur an admin fee cos the 'service' is carried out by a third party. Consequently, (so the argument went) in order not to undercut internet sales, telephone sales and ticket office sales have to charge the admin fee too. Totally backward logic. Why can't we take internet sales in house and scrap the admin fee? Is the software really that prohibitive?
[Post edited 28 Jan 2018 22:47]

At the end of the day, a football club only sells three things:

1) Matchday tickets. In our case 23 home league games a year; 23 away league games a year and a small (say 5) number of cup games. With the exception of the cup which can throw the odd curveball, it's not difficult skill to work out how to sell your home tickets easily and have a facility to sell away ones too.

2) Merchandise. Ties into 1). Select a small range of good quality reasonably priced things that people might want to buy. Promote them and make life really easy for them to buy it (e.g. like Amazon do).

3) Players. Happens twice a season in the months of August and then January. You can predict with a reasonable level of skill who might be the players concerned.

I don't see what is prohibitive about selling in any way when it comes to be a football club other than stimulating the demand and making sure that that service is so top notch that where the economics work you're served so well that it's a pleasure buying.

The service at the club is great - the people really care. It's the economics that is out at the moment - only very slightly but fine margins do make a big difference in the eyes of the customer.

Meeting with the directors on 21:38 - Jan 29 with 2300 viewsboromat

My experience of buying over the phone is that postage is free if you pick up at the away ground. Your tickets are sent down with the supporters coach.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Meeting with the directors on 14:49 - Jan 31 with 2052 views442Dale

Meeting with the directors on 18:58 - Jan 25 by 442Dale

Will point out that the question around the fixture board has been asked and noted by the club in the past and leave it there for now.

That tells a clear story about this process and Team Rochdale.

As of ten minutes ago, six days ahead of the Cup replay, the fixture board is advertising the Wigan game last night which was postponed two days ago.

Meeting with the directors on 15:27 - Jan 31 with 1968 viewsShun

Meeting with the directors on 14:49 - Jan 31 by 442Dale

As of ten minutes ago, six days ahead of the Cup replay, the fixture board is advertising the Wigan game last night which was postponed two days ago.

To be fair, they'd have to get their life jackets on if they wanted to venture to the other side of the ground.
Meeting with the directors on 15:33 - Jan 31 with 1950 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Only at TinSpotty!
Meeting with the directors on 15:45 - Jan 31 with 1915 viewsDaleiLama

I suppose the post-match "what-can-we-do-better" review meeting never took place as a result of the postponement, so we're just going to continue to do it as it's always been done - advertise the next fixture on the day of the fixture if we're lucky?
[Post edited 31 Jan 2018 15:47]

Meeting with the directors on 15:59 - Jan 31 with 1866 views442Dale

Meeting with the directors on 15:45 - Jan 31 by DaleiLama

I suppose the post-match "what-can-we-do-better" review meeting never took place as a result of the postponement, so we're just going to continue to do it as it's always been done - advertise the next fixture on the day of the fixture if we're lucky?

As noted previously, this subject illustrates perfectly the relative importance of this process and Team Rochdale to some.

Meeting with the directors on 16:00 - Jan 31 with 1857 viewsShun

Meeting with the directors on 15:45 - Jan 31 by DaleiLama

Ha! Good point!
Meeting with the directors on 16:02 - Jan 31 with 1851 viewsDaleiLama

Meeting with the directors on 15:59 - Jan 31 by 442Dale

As noted previously, this subject illustrates perfectly the relative importance of this process and Team Rochdale to some.

Indeed. It's unprofessional. Even if we weren't a professional club, it still wouldn't be ok.

Meeting with the directors on 16:22 - Jan 31 with 1793 views49thseason

We would be better off if they just took the bloody thing down. It's like a clock that never tells the right time, useless.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024