Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Usa Pre season Tour 13:11 - Jun 3 with 8077 viewsgazza_1234

16th July : Game against Richmond Kickers in Virginia. Not that far from Washington DC.

http://www.richmond.com/sports/richmond-kickers/article_e1de4255-8823-58e2-863b-
[Post edited 3 Jun 2016 14:11]
Usa Pre season Tour on 16:21 - Jun 6 with 2055 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Usa Pre season Tour on 05:00 - Jun 5 by JoeSoccerFan

I'm definitely going to be at the Richmond match - rugged 2 hour drive. It would seem that the midweek match would be against DCU since they have relatively close matches at Philly (2 hours away) and Columbus (7 hours drive - 1 hour flight) on the Saturdays on either side.

But Fedex and RFK could be expensive. Germantown might be too small (5K). College Park would only be (8-9K) - but the far bleachers get removed in the spring - I don't think they get replaced until later in August. I could be wrong about that.

Loyola MD might be a candidate because of the facility. Ravens stadium could be too expensive.

Tickets are $30/45 at Richmond seem high for a preseason match against 3rd level Richmond - but a lot cheaper than a flight to Swansea or a taxi from NYC! :)

Man I wish I could go. Unfortunately my sister will be out of town with the Democratic convention, and it's a busy time at work (end of quarter reporting), so it's too hard to justify a trip to DC that week.

POTY 2015
Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Usa Pre season Tour on 17:34 - Jun 6 with 2025 viewstrampie

Are NY Cosmos and Tampa Bay Rowdies still going ?

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Usa Pre season Tour on 17:51 - Jun 6 with 2020 viewsnyc_swans

Usa Pre season Tour on 17:34 - Jun 6 by trampie

Are NY Cosmos and Tampa Bay Rowdies still going ?

yes.

Joe Cole (yep) currently running the show for the Rowdies.

NY Cosmos would be a great friendly. Niko kranjcar (yep) is on NY cosmos.
Usa Pre season Tour on 18:07 - Jun 6 with 2005 viewstrampie

Usa Pre season Tour on 17:51 - Jun 6 by nyc_swans

yes.

Joe Cole (yep) currently running the show for the Rowdies.

NY Cosmos would be a great friendly. Niko kranjcar (yep) is on NY cosmos.

Are both teams still in the top tier of US football ?

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Usa Pre season Tour on 18:22 - Jun 6 with 1986 viewsnyc_swans

Usa Pre season Tour on 18:07 - Jun 6 by trampie

Are both teams still in the top tier of US football ?

They are in NASL, which is below MLS.

"Tiers" isn't a concept that resonates in America, without promotion/relegation, but NASL is the 2nd biggest league.
Usa Pre season Tour on 18:31 - Jun 6 with 1973 viewstrampie

Usa Pre season Tour on 18:22 - Jun 6 by nyc_swans

They are in NASL, which is below MLS.

"Tiers" isn't a concept that resonates in America, without promotion/relegation, but NASL is the 2nd biggest league.

Thanks nyc_swan, I said tiers for Americans, that's how much I know, lol

How come Cosmos ended up in the 2nd Division [that is what I would call it] ?, didn't they have Best, Beckenbauer and Pele ?, I think the Rowdies used to have Rodney Marsh.

Usa Pre season Tour on 19:25 - Jun 6 with 1958 viewsnyc_swans

Usa Pre season Tour on 18:31 - Jun 6 by trampie

Thanks nyc_swan, I said tiers for Americans, that's how much I know, lol

How come Cosmos ended up in the 2nd Division [that is what I would call it] ?, didn't they have Best, Beckenbauer and Pele ?, I think the Rowdies used to have Rodney Marsh.

this isn't the original cosmos. it's a re-boot of that franchise. for a long time NyC cosmos didn't exist, but about 3 years ago they came back. so they couldn't just put them back at the top, I guess
Usa Pre season Tour on 19:52 - Jun 6 with 1942 viewsgazza_1234

charlotte independence Whoever they are will be the other game on tour.
Login to get fewer ads

Usa Pre season Tour on 20:34 - Jun 6 with 1905 viewsairedale

Usa Pre season Tour on 17:08 - Jun 4 by controversial_jack

Why travel all that way? What's wrong with Holland?

Or Portalbutt.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2016 20:38]
Usa Pre season Tour on 20:51 - Jun 6 with 1882 viewstrampie

Usa Pre season Tour on 19:25 - Jun 6 by nyc_swans

this isn't the original cosmos. it's a re-boot of that franchise. for a long time NyC cosmos didn't exist, but about 3 years ago they came back. so they couldn't just put them back at the top, I guess

Thanks for the update, I would guess that the Cosmos were the most well known team from America over here at one time, another team I have just remembered is Vancouver Whitecaps are they still going ?

Usa Pre season Tour on 21:28 - Jun 6 with 1860 viewsairedale

Another game arranged, against Charlotte Independence.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/Premier+League/Swansea+City
Usa Pre season Tour on 21:40 - Jun 6 with 1839 viewstrampie

I've been to North Carolina, not sure if I flew to Charlotte or Raleigh, think it was Raleigh to be honest, quite a nice enough state though.

Usa Pre season Tour on 21:48 - Jun 6 with 1830 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Usa Pre season Tour on 21:28 - Jun 6 by airedale

Another game arranged, against Charlotte Independence.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/Premier+League/Swansea+City

4,300 capacity. Jeez, hope it's a sellout at least.

POTY 2015
Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Usa Pre season Tour on 21:57 - Jun 6 with 1805 viewsLoyal

Usa Pre season Tour on 21:40 - Jun 6 by trampie

I've been to North Carolina, not sure if I flew to Charlotte or Raleigh, think it was Raleigh to be honest, quite a nice enough state though.

No doubt you had an upgrade, was it Super Tramp ?

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Usa Pre season Tour on 22:07 - Jun 6 with 1790 viewsThursday

What's the link for the complete list of games?
Usa Pre season Tour on 22:41 - Jun 6 with 1692 viewsnyc_swans

Usa Pre season Tour on 20:51 - Jun 6 by trampie

Thanks for the update, I would guess that the Cosmos were the most well known team from America over here at one time, another team I have just remembered is Vancouver Whitecaps are they still going ?

yes, the cosmos were an interesting idea that never really took off. but there's a certain style/aesthetic/sense of history and even a hint of glamour to the brand that made it appealing to bring the team back.

vancouver whitecaps (they are now in MLS) is another club that attempted to capitalize on the soccer "boom" of the 1970s. Ft Lauderdale Kickers might also sound familiar. many of these clubs disappeared for a time because the North American Soccer League folded in the mid 80s. so for many years these clubs didn't really have a home until MLS started to grow in the last 10 years.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2016 22:44]
Usa Pre season Tour on 22:46 - Jun 6 with 1684 viewsnyc_swans

also, Giorgio Chinaglia was one of the greatest players to ever play in the united states. he was a legend for NY Cosmos.

everyone knows him, right?

sorry, im going way off topic here.
Usa Pre season Tour on 22:46 - Jun 6 with 1684 viewsSwansNZ

Usa Pre season Tour on 21:57 - Jun 6 by Loyal

No doubt you had an upgrade, was it Super Tramp ?

Did he have breakfast in America?

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Usa Pre season Tour on 22:50 - Jun 6 with 1673 viewsSwansNZ

I know it’s only pre-season, but if we go to the US, why don’t we play any MLS teams, instead of just these “small” teams?

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Usa Pre season Tour on 22:57 - Jun 6 with 1658 viewstrampie

Usa Pre season Tour on 22:46 - Jun 6 by nyc_swans

also, Giorgio Chinaglia was one of the greatest players to ever play in the united states. he was a legend for NY Cosmos.

everyone knows him, right?

sorry, im going way off topic here.

Yes 'Long John' started his career with the Swans, he was a Cosmos legend in their heyday, breaking all sorts of records over there, a top class player and international in his day.

Usa Pre season Tour on 23:00 - Jun 6 with 1651 viewsnyc_swans

Usa Pre season Tour on 22:50 - Jun 6 by SwansNZ

I know it’s only pre-season, but if we go to the US, why don’t we play any MLS teams, instead of just these “small” teams?

i wonder the same thing, but it could be a strategic way to win over new fans in areas without a top level team. charlotte and richmond are the centers of large metropolitan areas.

just a thought
Usa Pre season Tour on 23:52 - Jun 6 with 1607 viewsphact0rri

Usa Pre season Tour on 05:00 - Jun 5 by JoeSoccerFan

I'm definitely going to be at the Richmond match - rugged 2 hour drive. It would seem that the midweek match would be against DCU since they have relatively close matches at Philly (2 hours away) and Columbus (7 hours drive - 1 hour flight) on the Saturdays on either side.

But Fedex and RFK could be expensive. Germantown might be too small (5K). College Park would only be (8-9K) - but the far bleachers get removed in the spring - I don't think they get replaced until later in August. I could be wrong about that.

Loyola MD might be a candidate because of the facility. Ravens stadium could be too expensive.

Tickets are $30/45 at Richmond seem high for a preseason match against 3rd level Richmond - but a lot cheaper than a flight to Swansea or a taxi from NYC! :)

that is 30-45 dollars, is kind of expensive. thats like £20-30 or there abouts, which isn't to much of a difference from seeing a league game which is probably around $45.00 USD on the bottom tier of seating.

I did live in Virginia for a bit, and I recall everything being sort of expensive.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Usa Pre season Tour on 08:20 - Jun 7 with 1544 viewsdougie

Usa Pre season Tour on 22:41 - Jun 6 by nyc_swans

yes, the cosmos were an interesting idea that never really took off. but there's a certain style/aesthetic/sense of history and even a hint of glamour to the brand that made it appealing to bring the team back.

vancouver whitecaps (they are now in MLS) is another club that attempted to capitalize on the soccer "boom" of the 1970s. Ft Lauderdale Kickers might also sound familiar. many of these clubs disappeared for a time because the North American Soccer League folded in the mid 80s. so for many years these clubs didn't really have a home until MLS started to grow in the last 10 years.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2016 22:44]

Saverase manages the cosmos doesn't he ? I would think he would be up for a game against a club he played for.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024