Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some Smoke but No Fire 17:41 - Apr 10 with 6973 viewsCaliforniaJack

After reading targeted posts on Jason Levien yesterday and the subsequent concern it has caused I took some time to find out what was going on at DC United. It would seem that DC United Supporters group are disgruntled due to a fan being banned for one year for setting off a smoke device at their stadium, stating that the previous front office club staff would not have been "fan unfriendly" ...

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/dc-united-fans-club-tension-fan-banned-ye

While I understand concern over the possible shareholder buy out and the need for all key stakeholders involved to proceed cautiously (the goal should be that the deal suits the club) - I believe this has been blown out of all proportion by certain individuals.

We all recognize that for the club to grow and thrive in the EPL legitimate and appropriate investment is essential. I would urge that we not lose sight of this fact and show that we have shaken off the "graveyard of ambition" tag.
Some Smoke but No Fire on 12:45 - Apr 11 with 1662 viewsDafyddHuw

Some Smoke but No Fire on 11:17 - Apr 11 by Dewi1jack

Add over the top H & S and political correctness and we've got no requirements for any more bird killers, sorry, windfarms.

DafyddHuw.
Forgotten about JCC the punk poet.
Still have some of his stuff on vinyl. Will have to dig it out and have a listen
Thank you. excellent call

He's on in Cardiff in a fortnight - Tramshed. See you there.
Some Smoke but No Fire on 12:52 - Apr 11 with 1649 viewsDafyddHuw

Some Smoke but No Fire on 12:28 - Apr 11 by jasper_T

With the works on facilities wrapping up, and the tv money increasing again, the club is going to be more profitable than ever.

Investment is only essential if you regard the stadium purchase and expansion as essential. Which it isn't. The deal we have in place is extremely cheap and the limited capacity doesn't harm the club's bottom line at all. Gate receipts are a small fraction of turnover, and the largest audience for new generations of fans is reached through tv/internet coverage. 5-6k new seats that won't always be filled isn't worth £30-40m of new debt.

Of course we don't need investment. But the directors want to sell and cash in. They put the money up when their return on that money looked poor-to-bleak, so you can't blame them. And now is the ideal time to sell- mega TV deal, no relegation.
Our only hope as ordinary fans is that they aren't so blinded by £ signs that they do proper investigations on potential buyers, and not just take the 1st tempting offer and run.
Some Smoke but No Fire on 13:49 - Apr 11 with 1616 viewsjasper_T

Some Smoke but No Fire on 12:52 - Apr 11 by DafyddHuw

Of course we don't need investment. But the directors want to sell and cash in. They put the money up when their return on that money looked poor-to-bleak, so you can't blame them. And now is the ideal time to sell- mega TV deal, no relegation.
Our only hope as ordinary fans is that they aren't so blinded by £ signs that they do proper investigations on potential buyers, and not just take the 1st tempting offer and run.

Well yes, of course the shareholders can cash in, and given the scare they've had this season they're likely keen to do it.

That has no bearing on whether a deal is good for the club, though, which is what these articles try to claim.
Some Smoke but No Fire on 13:54 - Apr 11 with 1608 viewsOldjack

Some Smoke but No Fire on 12:52 - Apr 11 by DafyddHuw

Spot on, and it seems they haven't or totally ignoring what they've read or heard about the buyers ,I've yet to read anything positive about them ,this is not looking good

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Some Smoke but No Fire on 14:31 - Apr 11 with 1584 viewsDr_Winston

Some Smoke but No Fire on 12:28 - Apr 11 by jasper_T

With the works on facilities wrapping up, and the tv money increasing again, the club is going to be more profitable than ever.

Investment is only essential if you regard the stadium purchase and expansion as essential. Which it isn't. The deal we have in place is extremely cheap and the limited capacity doesn't harm the club's bottom line at all. Gate receipts are a small fraction of turnover, and the largest audience for new generations of fans is reached through tv/internet coverage. 5-6k new seats that won't always be filled isn't worth £30-40m of new debt.

I see expansion as essential, but ownership as way lower down on the list of things we need to be thinking about. I'd be surprised if expansion costs were anything like £30-40m.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Some Smoke but No Fire on 14:36 - Apr 11 with 1563 viewsjasper_T

Some Smoke but No Fire on 14:31 - Apr 11 by Dr_Winston

I see expansion as essential, but ownership as way lower down on the list of things we need to be thinking about. I'd be surprised if expansion costs were anything like £30-40m.

I expect expansion to be a non-starter without purchase of the stadium (been the case so far) so purchase price + expansion costs + hyperbole is £50m easy.
Some Smoke but No Fire on 14:52 - Apr 11 with 1549 viewsDr_Winston

Some Smoke but No Fire on 14:36 - Apr 11 by jasper_T

I expect expansion to be a non-starter without purchase of the stadium (been the case so far) so purchase price + expansion costs + hyperbole is £50m easy.

Why is it the case though? That's what I'd like to know. Wasn't even remotely an issue when the club first started talking about it.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Some Smoke but No Fire on 14:57 - Apr 11 with 1542 viewsjasper_T

Why would the club pay millions to improve an asset they don't even own? It doesn't make financial sense.

None of the other parties need the extra capacity so they're not going to pitch in towards costs (and if it makes maintenance etc. any more expensive might theoretically object to the works).
Login to get fewer ads

Some Smoke but No Fire on 15:00 - Apr 11 with 1538 viewsjacabertawe

Some Smoke but No Fire on 12:39 - Apr 11 by DafyddHuw

Yes, you're right on both counts. Not Dylan Thomas & meant positively - i.e. once you've lived here you don't wanna leave.

Yes, I know a few people (my wife included) who came to Swansea Uni and never left because they loved the place.
By the way, will people please stop referring to "The EPL (English Premier League)". It is just "The Premier League" (teams from Wales and England). There is no such organisation and no other "Premier League" that I know of, if intended to differentiate.

Britishness...is a political synonym for Englishness which extends English culture over the Scots, the Welsh, and the Irish. - Gwynfor Evans

Some Smoke but No Fire on 15:09 - Apr 11 with 1526 viewsDr_Winston

Some Smoke but No Fire on 14:57 - Apr 11 by jasper_T

Why would the club pay millions to improve an asset they don't even own? It doesn't make financial sense.

None of the other parties need the extra capacity so they're not going to pitch in towards costs (and if it makes maintenance etc. any more expensive might theoretically object to the works).

Because they'll gain increased revenue from it regardless. They'll grow the fanbase regardless.

As you say, it's not as if anyone else is going to take the place from them. Don't much see the point of paying to buy somewhere that you're never going to get evicted from as long as you keep paying the rent.

Some Smoke but No Fire on 16:33 - Apr 11 with 1491 viewsjasper_T

Some Smoke but No Fire on 15:09 - Apr 11 by Dr_Winston

Because they'll gain increased revenue from it regardless. They'll grow the fanbase regardless.

As you say, it's not as if anyone else is going to take the place from them. Don't much see the point of paying to buy somewhere that you're never going to get evicted from as long as you keep paying the rent.

The revenue increase gets less and less significant every year (relative to turnover), and I don't buy the idea that attendance needs to increase to "grow the fanbase" for Wales only Premier League club.

10 years ago the glory supporters of South Wales flocked to United because they were successful and on TV. Well now we're on TV too and beat United more often than not.

There are kids out wearing Swans tops that have never been to a game (but they could get tickets on general sale for a few matches a year no problem if they wanted). They're growing up with a connection to the club either way.
Some Smoke but No Fire on 17:55 - Apr 11 with 1427 viewslondonlisa2001

Some Smoke but No Fire on 16:33 - Apr 11 by jasper_T

The revenue increase gets less and less significant every year (relative to turnover), and I don't buy the idea that attendance needs to increase to "grow the fanbase" for Wales only Premier League club.

10 years ago the glory supporters of South Wales flocked to United because they were successful and on TV. Well now we're on TV too and beat United more often than not.

There are kids out wearing Swans tops that have never been to a game (but they could get tickets on general sale for a few matches a year no problem if they wanted). They're growing up with a connection to the club either way.

The thing which separates us for local kids though compared to Man Utd is being able to see us in the flesh. Always a stronger tie when that happens.

One point that hasn't yet been mentioned of course when these numpties are talking about buying expensive players is FFP rules.

I remember last time round banging on about this. Unless changes have been made which I've missed, there are still issues around how much our salary bill can increase each year (wasn't it £4m from memory)? The only allowed increase on that is increased commercial revenue. No injection from new owners can get round this. So increasing commercial revenue from things like sponsorship, hospitality from new extension and so on will have to be done before we can suddenly start buying more expensive players. Any new owners can't put in £20 or £30m for new players unless we can cover their salaries within the cap. Of course, the figs may change next year with the new deal but extending the stadium may be a crucial part of building our squad.
Some Smoke but No Fire on 17:57 - Apr 11 with 1412 viewsblueytheblue

There are always ways and means around FFP. Plenty of teams in Europe have taken the p***. Man City's naming rights? Serious allegations about Leicester too.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Some Smoke but No Fire on 18:00 - Apr 11 with 1408 viewslondonlisa2001

Some Smoke but No Fire on 17:57 - Apr 11 by blueytheblue

There are always ways and means around FFP. Plenty of teams in Europe have taken the p***. Man City's naming rights? Serious allegations about Leicester too.

Yes I realise that - I was making the link to why the stadium may be so important even though revenue from attendance is dwarfed by TV.
Some Smoke but No Fire on 18:02 - Apr 11 with 1401 viewsblueytheblue

Some Smoke but No Fire on 18:00 - Apr 11 by londonlisa2001

Yes I realise that - I was making the link to why the stadium may be so important even though revenue from attendance is dwarfed by TV.

The stadium could be a good income stream in it's own right if managed well - ie not entirely dependent upon matches.

Licence for weddings, corporate junkets et al. Entertainment licence for concerts et al.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Some Smoke but No Fire on 18:07 - Apr 11 with 1323 viewslondonlisa2001

Some Smoke but No Fire on 18:02 - Apr 11 by blueytheblue

The stadium could be a good income stream in it's own right if managed well - ie not entirely dependent upon matches.

Licence for weddings, corporate junkets et al. Entertainment licence for concerts et al.

It's full pretty much all the time I believe for things such as you mention. But that money would then go to the club rather than stadco is it was bought.

The main benefit of the stadium is it's easy to manipulate money into the club via sponsorship rather than any other means as that allows FFP governed spending and neither equity nor debt does.

Note I am not suggesting that we should do that, simply saying why it could be attractive.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024