Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone else miss the lower league's. 02:52 - Jan 17 with 8965 viewsClydachjack

Yes it's been fun up here in the premier league, but it gets a bit boring, same teams every year.

At least when we were lower league you had a chance of going up or down, to be honest we are never going to be a top team so midtable is all we can aim for.

At the vetch it was always us against the world, signing player's on a shoestring budget.

Yes football has moved on, but there's no excitement anymore. Year's ago if we drew Liverpool or arsenal in the fa cup it was great, now it's just blah.
Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 10:21 - Jan 17 with 2203 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 09:49 - Jan 17 by ItchySphincter

The atmosphere at the Vetch was better. Anyone who disagrees wasn't there.

Yes and no. I's say the forest home play off semi was better than anything I'd experienced at the Vetch but on its day the Vetch atmosphere could be as intimidating as anywhere.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 10:39 - Jan 17 with 2183 viewsjackrabbit

Miss the lower league's what'?

Rationalisation and delusion taken to the extreme limit. The premise is that Swans v Arsenal is too samey and predictable. Oh for the excitement and glamour of Swans v Walsall.
Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 10:41 - Jan 17 with 2179 viewsPrivate_Partz

2.52 a m? I guess you have been on the sauce ;-) if not then it is completely wrong and this sort of small time defeatist attitude will be our undoing.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 10:47 - Jan 17 with 2167 viewsPrivate_Partz

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 09:49 - Jan 17 by ItchySphincter

The atmosphere at the Vetch was better. Anyone who disagrees wasn't there.

Only at times mate. Some of the best I have been in have been at the Liberty. I am not a new supoorter. Three generations have supported the Swans since the club was formed. True it started for me late 60s so you may have a point when 30k were packed in there but at them end of the day it is what rests on the match. We have been lucky to have been almost safe by Xmas as which affects the armosphere.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2016 11:19]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 11:04 - Jan 17 with 2151 viewsLoyal

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 10:01 - Jan 17 by Jackfath

Sounds like people are already giving up.

Dear God.

It's hard to have hope when the club seem to have given up too.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2016 11:05]

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 11:11 - Jan 17 with 2135 viewsVetchitBack

Let's be honest the Liberty atmosphere was only comparable to the Vetch when the Vetch-lot frequented the Liberty.

The Premier League/Liverpool/Man Utd/Leeds/Egg fans have diluted it.

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 11:19 - Jan 17 with 2127 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 08:56 - Jan 17 by Darran

Away games were much more fun in the lower leagues and anyone that says they weren't are either lying or they weren't there.

Do you know what, it sounds just like you guys have got OLD and the love of Football has gone a bit stale.
Everything is more fun when you are young (except getting a decent night's sleep).
You are the same fans with mostly the same friends as fans and yet it is not as enjoyable, isn't that down to you?
I thought that was a natural progression for everything.
Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 11:28 - Jan 17 with 2120 viewsPacemaker

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 10:47 - Jan 17 by Private_Partz

Only at times mate. Some of the best I have been in have been at the Liberty. I am not a new supoorter. Three generations have supported the Swans since the club was formed. True it started for me late 60s so you may have a point when 30k were packed in there but at them end of the day it is what rests on the match. We have been lucky to have been almost safe by Xmas as which affects the armosphere.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2016 11:19]

This.

The Leeds game, Forestvplay off and the Carling cup game against Cardiff were all at least as good or better atmosphere than the majority of games in the vetch. I am old but I just don't get the rose tinted view of the Vetch. Perhaps it seemed better with 3k spread around.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 11:35 - Jan 17 with 2108 viewsDr_Winston

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 11:28 - Jan 17 by Pacemaker

This.

The Leeds game, Forestvplay off and the Carling cup game against Cardiff were all at least as good or better atmosphere than the majority of games in the vetch. I am old but I just don't get the rose tinted view of the Vetch. Perhaps it seemed better with 3k spread around.

Cardiff in the FA cup in 1991, West Ham in the FA cup in 1999, and the Hull game. They're the only three truly memorable atmospheres I can remember from The Vetch, and the Hull game was more one of pants shitting terror until Thommo's third went in.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 11:36 - Jan 17 with 2103 viewsFlashberryjack

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 10:20 - Jan 17 by Bloodyhills

I did like the pasties in the North Bank. LoL

If we do go down it's not the end of the world but would prefer to stay in the prem.

Dear God.....I hope to f*ck other fans don't read this thread......truly embarrassing.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 11:39 - Jan 17 with 2094 viewsJackanapes

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 11:35 - Jan 17 by Dr_Winston

Cardiff in the FA cup in 1991, West Ham in the FA cup in 1999, and the Hull game. They're the only three truly memorable atmospheres I can remember from The Vetch, and the Hull game was more one of pants shitting terror until Thommo's third went in.

New Years Day 1988. Joe Allons overhead kicked. Best.Atmosphere.Ever.

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 11:40 - Jan 17 with 2090 viewsPacemaker

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 11:35 - Jan 17 by Dr_Winston

Ha ha too true, shall I burst into tears after I have vomited or just clean myself up after its gone from the other end as well.

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 11:41 - Jan 17 with 2082 viewsawayjack

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 08:56 - Jan 17 by Darran

Away games were much more fun in the lower leagues and anyone that says they weren't are either lying or they weren't there.

Agree away trips were more fun then but away days have generally become more sterile across all divisions. Our 1st season in prem atmosphere at away matches was terrific compared to few hundred that make a noise now.
Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 11:49 - Jan 17 with 2075 viewsFlashberryjack

Forrest play off semi, Scum in the PL, Chelsea LC semi, Reading Wembley, League Cup Final.
All absolute shyte atmosphere.
I remember 8 of us going to Port Vale on a wet Wednesday evening, lost 3-0 Transit broke down on the way home, f*cking fantastic times.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 11:50 - Jan 17 with 2069 viewsDewi1jack

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 10:39 - Jan 17 by jackrabbit

Miss the lower league's what'?

Rationalisation and delusion taken to the extreme limit. The premise is that Swans v Arsenal is too samey and predictable. Oh for the excitement and glamour of Swans v Walsall.

Miss some decent burgers/ pies/ bacon rolls we used to get at places like Cheltenham, Kiddy etc
Miss the away days ( I was younger, much younger!!)

Miss the lower league football?
No.
Quite happy to watch us beat the likes of Arsenal, Utd, Citey regularly.
If we go down, We'll still be there.
If we go straight through (my main worry if we do go down,) we'll still be there.
But pining for Prem football again

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 13:08 - Jan 17 with 1938 viewsPacemaker

In our second year in the championship the first game was away against Hull who had just been relegated, I was in a pub up there talking to one of their supporters, who said he was happy to be out of the PL as he spent his time hoping they could hang on for a point in every game.

At the time I thought he was just trying to justify their relegation and his belief they were a better team than people give them credit for ( they later beat as 2-0 I think even though they weren't that great) but I still thought he was absolutely gutted they were now out of the big time.

That's the position many supporters are now in, I genuinely think we have the quality and belief to stay up (just) but we do seem to have all the bad luck so far this season, hope we stay up but I won't be devastated if we go down.

The board will have to reflect and learn from the number of errors they have made over the last year or so no matter what happens.lf MTJ can tweet that Eder is crap and always has been on the day we sign him it's not a good sign that our scouts have picked him out, as a target.

I am hoping all the investment will result in a steady stream of young players and if we do get relegated we get back up even if we go through a period of up and down like WBA for a few years.

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 13:43 - Jan 17 with 1904 viewsImAlrightJack

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 08:04 - Jan 17 by hobo

I think it's must be their way of coping with the threat of relegation. If they make themselves believe that they preferred the lower leagues then relegation won't hit them so hard

I still see it EXACLTLY like this, as well as being reminded how good away games were like back then.

Am in Japan now and enjoying my holiday is even more the reason. Just seen Leicester's goal against Villa on Japanese TV and an interview with their goalscorer seeing he's Japanese himself.

All this worrying over no more "strutting our stuff" against big four's, no more MOTD (although we are always or nearly "graveyard" slot), this worry about Wales losing a huge financial hull.. it's to be honest doing my head in.

If we go down, be lucky we are still Swansea City, we are still here with a club to support and are not in the same mess Parma ended up in.
Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 15:00 - Jan 17 with 1825 views3swan

Miss the lower leagues - no

Miss some of the things in the lower leagues - Yes

As others have pointed out away games had something a 'bit special' in the lower leagues. The thing is though our first season the away games were all special.

Things have become a bit samey, but that's because we are up against the big boys and not as in the lower leagues where we were looking for promotion etc.

You could say that the glamour of bigger games lower down got the atmosphere going, but we have glamour games all the time, it's all about generating the atmosphere
Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 01:03 - Dec 3 with 1364 viewsClydachjack

And le bump.

After 31 years unless jenkins goes I'm not renewing my season ticket.

People laughed when I made this post but it seems more agree with me than ever.

I've felt like this for a while, now its more to do with meeting mates for a few pints, the football is just second thought.

I marched down oxford street to get petty out, I was there in the pati for the first ever trust meeting, I even worked at the vetch. Some might say well goodbye etc I don't care, I might come back when we are back in the lower divisions but I think it's best to leave while I still remember those cold winter nights on the north bank.
Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 05:53 - Dec 3 with 1311 viewsSTID2017

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 01:03 - Dec 3 by Clydachjack

And le bump.

I've felt like this for a while, now its more to do with meeting mates for a few pints, the football is just second thought.

I marched down oxford street to get petty out, I was there in the pati for the first ever trust meeting, I even worked at the vetch. Some might say well goodbye etc I don't care, I might come back when we are back in the lower divisions but I think it's best to leave while I still remember those cold winter nights on the north bank.

Firstly it's sad that anyone should be driven not to renew by any reason other than the fact that the football is dire and the manager is clueless.
Sadly, I do not feel that even if several thousand failed to renew it would make Jenkins position untenable.
If you are not enjoying don't renew, but please don't believe it'll hurt HJ, the other sellouts or the Americans.
16k ST's at say £430 each is just £7 million.
In footballing terms it's a drop in the ocean.
In answer to your original OP, like many on here I have seen us go through the lowest the club has been (at least twice) reach the pinnacle of English club football (on two different occasions) and personally I've no desire to go back to return to watching the dregs of our professional game in the lower league in a stadium with a few thousand others.
The current football is dire by the standards we've come to expect but please remove the rose tinted glasses about "the good old days" off the lower leagues

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 10:37 - Dec 3 with 1241 viewsKilkennyjack

Having £1m income whilst at the vetch was almost unthinkabke. Our club would be ‘safe’ forever. And thats all we wanted - a club to follow.

Now some people have got rich, millions are spent on players who can’t get in the team, and millions on an academy that ranked 91st out of 92 in a recent post by Dazza for players produced.

Thats the shame of it all.
We got the millions and now our club is very very far from being ‘safe’.

Mismanaged on a scale that previously was unimaginable.
Our poor team is the direct result of decisions being taken for non-footballing reasons.

First and foremost we are a football club.

Beware of the Risen People

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 10:57 - Dec 3 with 1224 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 01:03 - Dec 3 by Clydachjack

And le bump.

Regarding your original Post, at this rate you will get your wish.
So if I was you I would renew to enjoy the Championship Football that the Club will be playing and the following year you will probably be able to enjoy League 1 even more.
The only time you will see top class players play live will be in the odd cup match if you are lucky.
Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 10:58 - Dec 3 with 1223 viewsyescomeon

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 10:37 - Dec 3 by Kilkennyjack

Having £1m income whilst at the vetch was almost unthinkabke. Our club would be ‘safe’ forever. And thats all we wanted - a club to follow.

Now some people have got rich, millions are spent on players who can’t get in the team, and millions on an academy that ranked 91st out of 92 in a recent post by Dazza for players produced.

Thats the shame of it all.
We got the millions and now our club is very very far from being ‘safe’.

Mismanaged on a scale that previously was unimaginable.
Our poor team is the direct result of decisions being taken for non-footballing reasons.

First and foremost we are a football club.

91st out of 92 for producing English players wasn't it. The kid coming through our system will be Welsh I bet we're 1st for producing Welsh players.

Upthecity!

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 11:01 - Dec 3 with 1220 viewsBloodyhills

I miss the atmosphere of the Vetch but would rather us be in the Prem than anywhere else.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2017 11:02]

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 11:04 - Dec 3 with 1217 viewsawayjack

Anyone else miss the lower league's. on 10:57 - Dec 3 by A_Fans_Dad

Regarding your original Post, at this rate you will get your wish.
So if I was you I would renew to enjoy the Championship Football that the Club will be playing and the following year you will probably be able to enjoy League 1 even more.
The only time you will see top class players play live will be in the odd cup match if you are lucky.

Why bother renewing. There'll be seats in abundance as the new premier league supporters go and watch thier PL opposition heroes up the road.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024