Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Space Travel. 10:12 - Jul 16 with 9720 viewsperchrockjack

Here we go so look away now humpty...

Why are the Americans and others obsessed with this grotesque waste of money.

Ive been alive and seen Yuri be the first man in space, Armstrong and his chums get to moon first and now Pluto photographed in detail.

Ive heard the argument as to how it helps us broaden our understanding of the universe and, frankly,believe it utterly irrelevant for most people as they traverse their lives on this planet.

The billions spent, has always been grotesque, now more so .

It beggars belief as to what better uses the money effort and time could be spent on.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Space Travel. on 10:33 - Jul 16 with 4072 viewsBatterseajack

Without space travel, we wouldn't have satellites orbiting the earth allowing us to read planet swans or watch the swans on TV.
Space Travel. on 10:35 - Jul 16 with 4070 viewsApeShit

There's been many spin-offs of the technology that has been designed for space travel:

Improvement in Prosthetic Limbs
LED therapy for tumours etc.
Heart pumps
Space blankets found in First Aid Kits
Aircraft anti-icing systems
chemical detection systems
Fire retardent paints, foams, steel
Improved fire fighting equipment
memory foam matresses
enhanced baby food
water purification techniques which are now used in 3rd world countries
Structural analysis software used to analyze stress, vibrations on buildings

And a load more!
Space Travel. on 10:36 - Jul 16 with 4067 viewsHighjack

We don't spend enough on it.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Space Travel. on 10:45 - Jul 16 with 4054 viewsTheFranchise

We should do more exploration. So much of today's tech and medical knowledge has come from space programmes.
Space Travel. on 10:53 - Jul 16 with 4024 viewsApeShit

Space Travel. on 10:45 - Jul 16 by TheFranchise

We should do more exploration. So much of today's tech and medical knowledge has come from space programmes.

Pretty much, bit of an ignorant original post really.
Space Travel. on 11:00 - Jul 16 with 4015 viewsPegojack

I agree that there is a lot of beneficial technological spin off.

On a more philosophical front, if the human race is to live long and prosper (see what I did there?), we need to explore outwards. The long term prospect for Planet Earth is to be swallowed up by the Sun. I know we are talking unimaginable timescales, but if our species is to have a future, we will eventually have to move out to other solar systems.
Space Travel. on 11:05 - Jul 16 with 4006 viewsTheFranchise

Space Travel. on 10:53 - Jul 16 by ApeShit

Pretty much, bit of an ignorant original post really.

Does it surprise you?
Space Travel. on 11:06 - Jul 16 with 4006 viewsItchySphincter

Third World countries with space programs should face economic sanctions.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Login to get fewer ads

Space Travel. on 11:10 - Jul 16 with 3986 viewslifelong

Space Travel. on 11:00 - Jul 16 by Pegojack

I agree that there is a lot of beneficial technological spin off.

On a more philosophical front, if the human race is to live long and prosper (see what I did there?), we need to explore outwards. The long term prospect for Planet Earth is to be swallowed up by the Sun. I know we are talking unimaginable timescales, but if our species is to have a future, we will eventually have to move out to other solar systems.

I was just about to post similar.

Will we find one in time is the question?
Space Travel. on 11:24 - Jul 16 with 3971 viewsCurcubita_Ultra

Wow....

I think you must have a window into my mind Perch as I was thinking the same this morning and was going to post about how I spent 20 Billion designing a miniture probe to travel from my lounge, through the kitchen keyhole into the garage and then into the freezer to take some pictures of the ice cube tray and beam a pic and a text message back to my HTC to tell me that my freezer is full of feckin ice !

While billions of humans don't have access to clean drinking water etc...

...and don't get me started on Trident!
[Post edited 16 Jul 2015 11:26]
Space Travel. on 11:28 - Jul 16 with 3967 viewshobo

War is a waste of money, not space travel
Space Travel. on 12:05 - Jul 16 with 3943 viewsApeShit

Space Travel. on 11:05 - Jul 16 by TheFranchise

Does it surprise you?

Space Travel. on 13:17 - Jul 16 with 3884 viewsperchrockjack

Ignorant eh.

Tell you what, that s pretty illuminating as true are shown.

Franchise? Sad to see it

Apes hip, yet another

That list is fine for the developed west.but we talking of billions spent over decades over what was and is an ego issue for USA Russia and China, which is why it was called a space race.

Most of Africa is still bereft of the most basic substance of all..clean drinking water...we still have cancer causing premature death to millions worldwide.

There are so many medical issues still a mystery and yet we still look for sponsorships and charitable contributions as a means of funding research.

India joined in the space race, India ffs.

Looking at the list of positives is actually pretty sickening

It's called debate gentlemen.debate.

Space Travel. on 13:27 - Jul 16 with 3874 viewsLord_Bony

The two biggest technological and scientific drivers for mankind in recent years has been WAR huh what it it good for?

and SPACE EXPLORATION.

L.E.Ds,water purification and de iceing systems all came from Nasa.

Without it we would be set back 40 years or so.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Space Travel. on 13:33 - Jul 16 with 3867 viewsperchrockjack

And enhanced baby food.

It's perfectly possible to have invented these ancillary benefits without going to probe space.

It's pretty certain we can't live on another planet and I'm struggling to find justification for photographing Pluto.

Still, ps luminaries know best.

At least you stick to topic bony so fair play.

Space Travel. on 13:41 - Jul 16 with 3852 viewsPegojack

Space Travel. on 13:33 - Jul 16 by perchrockjack

And enhanced baby food.

It's perfectly possible to have invented these ancillary benefits without going to probe space.

It's pretty certain we can't live on another planet and I'm struggling to find justification for photographing Pluto.

I understand your point, Perchie, but surely your target should be money spent on weapons and warfare before attacking the costs of space exploration?
Space Travel. on 13:42 - Jul 16 with 3849 viewsCurcubita_Ultra

When I was a kid everyone wanted to be either a footballer or an astronaut so while I'd agree that space exploration is necessary (especially regarding Mars which should have been the next logical step after Apollo/Gemini/Viking missions) and has speeded up scientific advancements I think in this particular case that the money could have been better spent elsewhere on terra firma rather than spending billions of dollars to photograph a giant ice cube on the edge of our solar system...
Space Travel. on 13:45 - Jul 16 with 3839 viewsApeShit

Space Travel. on 13:33 - Jul 16 by perchrockjack

And enhanced baby food.

You probably wouldn't have an iPad to type all this nonsense on if it wasn't for technology developed for space exploration, so swings and roundabouts
Space Travel. on 13:54 - Jul 16 with 3828 viewsTheFranchise

Space Travel. on 13:17 - Jul 16 by perchrockjack

Ignorant eh.

Tell you what, that s pretty illuminating as true are shown.

Franchise? Sad to see it

Apes hip, yet another

That list is fine for the developed west.but we talking of billions spent over decades over what was and is an ego issue for USA Russia and China, which is why it was called a space race.

Most of Africa is still bereft of the most basic substance of all..clean drinking water...we still have cancer causing premature death to millions worldwide.

There are so many medical issues still a mystery and yet we still look for sponsorships and charitable contributions as a means of funding research.

India joined in the space race, India ffs.

Looking at the list of positives is actually pretty sickening

It's called debate gentlemen.debate.

We provide financial aid to india and they have a space programme right? That should stop obviously.

You bring up Africa like it's something we can help. African nations are more corrupt than fifa, any more we send them is spent on guns which are used to oppress their population. Until there is continental regime change then people will always starve. It doesn't that these developing countries are normally very religious and believe that conception is a sin and spread disease which adds to the problem.

If we stopped supporting countries that either don't need it or use it appropriately then we could have less poverty in our own country and have a space programme.

How's that for debate? I'll never call you a c*nt :)
Space Travel. on 13:57 - Jul 16 with 3822 viewsscottishjack

Space Travel. on 14:11 - Jul 16 with 3805 viewsperchrockjack

Not very good franchise is my reply.

Africa corrupt? Yep, but that s not the primary reason IMO.

India nuclear stop? Agreed.

China too ,loads in poverty, real poverty .

Millions of man hours have been spent on seeking out other systems that cannot sustain human life.

Back on earth, we cannot cure cancer for all, Alzheimer's, motor neurone, Parkinson's, the list is endless.
Why, answer me, is America spending money of this nature when it's own people suffer
Thermal blankets, enhanced baby food, we can do without much of that apeshit list

Kennedy s main motivation for initial space travel was to counter and beat the soviet efforts whose people were also destitute in many cities.

Space Travel. on 14:21 - Jul 16 with 3793 viewsTheFranchise

Space Travel. on 14:11 - Jul 16 by perchrockjack

Millions of man hours have been spent on seeking out other systems that cannot sustain human life.

Back on earth, we cannot cure cancer for all, Alzheimer's, motor neurone, Parkinson's, the list is endless.
Why, answer me, is America spending money of this nature when it's own people suffer
Thermal blankets, enhanced baby food, we can do without much of that apeshit list

Kennedy s main motivation for initial space travel was to counter and beat the soviet efforts whose people were also destitute in many cities.

Pharmaceutical companies are profit driven machines, there is more money in treatment than in a cure. You really think that something as common as a simple cold can't be cured? Selling medicines to ease a cold generates more revenue than curing it. The same can be said about most killer diseases. HIV treatment is unbelievably expensive to buy and yet sufferers are now living nearly full lives, that's quite a cash cow you wouldn't want to lose.

Someone mentioned trident, that's all smoke and mirrors in my opinion.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2015 14:22]
Space Travel. on 14:25 - Jul 16 with 3787 viewsscottishjack

Space Travel. on 14:11 - Jul 16 by perchrockjack

Myself, I am fascinated by space exploration and have been since a very young age. I think it is amazing that we can reach Pluto in just 9 nears since launch, but I have been thinking about the costs and whether it is really worth it... "Couldn't Hubble do much the same thing?" Was one of my idle thoughts.

Anyway, this thread got me thinking, so I looked...the cost of the space missions listed on the graph in Forbes are in MILLIONS...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2015/07/14/how-do-new-horizons-costs-compa

Whereas...here we are talking BILLIONS...

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2015/07/08/spac-j08.html

"Federal spending on nuclear weapons upgrades will surpass $350 billion in the next decade alone"

So, that's 700 MILLION to send a probe to the outer reaches of our Solar System which is an amazing human achievement, or 350 BILLION to upgrade weapons which could wipe our planet out in a matter of minutes! Where is the money being wasted?
Space Travel. on 14:46 - Jul 16 with 3759 viewsperchrockjack

Comparisons with WAR are analgous.

Im not justifying man s grotesque obsession with weapons of war .

I think ve made my point ; its one held by many and not held in equal measures but thanks for a good reply scottish jack.

Finally, every time I see /hear/read about people suffering from illnesses that are terminal I ask myself why ,with all the intelligence Man has, we are pretty much futile beings.

Hope this post not too incoherent

Space Travel. on 14:58 - Jul 16 with 3738 viewsJackSomething

Space Travel. on 14:46 - Jul 16 by perchrockjack

Comparisons with WAR are analgous.

Im not justifying man s grotesque obsession with weapons of war .

I think ve made my point ; its one held by many and not held in equal measures but thanks for a good reply scottish jack.

Finally, every time I see /hear/read about people suffering from illnesses that are terminal I ask myself why ,with all the intelligence Man has, we are pretty much futile beings.

Hope this post not too incoherent

You can say your point is one held by many if you like, but it's meaningless as you have provided nothing to justify that statement. Using the responses to this thread as a sample, the overwhelming majority disagree with you.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024