Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My first attempt at "blogging" 15:25 - Mar 2 with 3568 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Please have at it.

http://www.swansonline.co.uk/article/121/how-to-love-ugly-football-swansea-city/

POTY 2015
Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

My first attempt at "blogging" on 15:51 - Mar 7 with 961 viewsairedale

My first attempt at "blogging" on 01:42 - Mar 7 by nyc_swans

yes. but do you have any idea how expensive it is to travel to the UK from america?

Be interesting to know how much it would cost, if there were enough of you and internal travel costs were cheap, to charter your own flight.
My first attempt at "blogging" on 16:36 - Mar 7 with 951 views1973scott

Nice blog when did you start blogging
My first attempt at "blogging" on 17:03 - Mar 7 with 947 viewsstAteSwan

My first attempt at "blogging" on 21:08 - Mar 6 by airedale

How about coming over and catching a match guys; do you have any plans to do that?

It's a Bucket list item...but the costs for American Traveling internationally are very high. My goal is to do it within the next 5 years though.
My first attempt at on 21:39 - Mar 7 with 916 viewsGixerJack

My first attempt at on 15:47 - Mar 6 by londonlisa2001

as well as meaning fake, the term plastic also started being used for those fans that had only ever seen their team play through a TV screen (i.e. on a plastic box making them a plastic supporter).

By definition, back in the day (and to a large extent now), the only teams that anyone could regularly see on the TV were the big teams (since there was hardly any live football) and so the 'plastics' or 'armchair supporters' (which means much the same thing) always chose a team that was on TV more often than the others.

So teams such as Liverpool, Man Utd etc had a lot of 'plastic' supporters - supporters that had never visited the ground, had no real reason to support the team (they didn't come from that area for example) but just decided they were the team they supported (on the TV).

By definition, our supporters from the US etc , much as they (in my view) are very welcome, are plastics. They have chosen a team that they can watch and support on the TV and who are, therefore, a 'big' team (the Swans may seem like a 'small' team in PL terms, but they are a big team in reality, just not as big as the top 6 or 7 - I bet there are not many in the US who have decided for no apparent reason to support say, Bury or Hartlepool).

It is likely that if the Swans were ever to go back down through the leagues, those supporters (or most of them) would support someone else instead (some may truly get hooked and continue their support and become 'real' fans of course - Dav is an example of a 'real' fan from the US).

These days, plastic will also be used to mean people that only support a team if it is good (even if they watch the team live) - but it's a hangover in usage from the TV supporters.

Ironically, a lot of the people that are most vociferous about our style of play, are the very definition of 'non plastic' -they are people that have supported the team for years and from when we were in the bottom leagues, playing pretty badly most weeks.

Sorry if that's a bit dull !!

Plastic!!!

My first attempt at "blogging" on 05:36 - Mar 8 with 897 viewsphact0rri

My first attempt at "blogging" on 17:03 - Mar 7 by stAteSwan

It's a Bucket list item...but the costs for American Traveling internationally are very high. My goal is to do it within the next 5 years though.

Its not THAT bad. I try to visit home every other year. and last time I went planning ahead and that I got a good deal. Think it was around 350 USD round trip. Though I flew into London and then just took the rails to Wales.

BTW... dumb question but I saw use of a 'BPL' on this thread.. why are people talking about the Belgian Pro League?

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

My first attempt at on 07:20 - Mar 8 with 891 viewsMrSwerve

My first attempt at "blogging" on 05:36 - Mar 8 by phact0rri

Its not THAT bad. I try to visit home every other year. and last time I went planning ahead and that I got a good deal. Think it was around 350 USD round trip. Though I flew into London and then just took the rails to Wales.

BTW... dumb question but I saw use of a 'BPL' on this thread.. why are people talking about the Belgian Pro League?

British premier league...I know it's officially the English premier league though.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2015 7:21]

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024