Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it 18:51 - Sep 10 with 4966 viewsJackSwanTV

Poll: Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it
Blog: Interview with Freestone, Alsop plus Phil Sumbler in the New Jack Swan. Issue #21.

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 21:28 - Sep 10 with 1175 viewsThursday

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 20:09 - Sep 10 by exiledclaseboy

Which one? There are two. Three if you want to be really pedantic about it.

There are three without being pedantic.

To answer the OP, yes it should be proofread. Before that, though, it also needs some substantive and copy editing.
Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 21:37 - Sep 10 with 1167 viewsloughor_jack

I won't be pedantic. Two will do.

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 13:44 - Sep 11 with 1091 viewsJackSwanTV

An interesting debate :)

Poll: Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it
Blog: Interview with Freestone, Alsop plus Phil Sumbler in the New Jack Swan. Issue #21.

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 14:00 - Sep 11 with 1085 viewsStarsky

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 13:44 - Sep 11 by JackSwanTV

An interesting debate :)

I can't believe you have to even ask the question!
As a publication that incorporates adverts, you have a duty to your sponsors use grammar to a higher standard.
5000 copies going out with the Manager's name spelt wrong several times... Shudders.
Your magazine has grown & developed. You unfortunately haven't kept up with its development.
How many did you produce for issue 1?
[Post edited 11 Sep 2014 14:16]

It's just the internet, init.

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 14:20 - Sep 11 with 1072 viewsJackSwanTV

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 14:00 - Sep 11 by Starsky

I can't believe you have to even ask the question!
As a publication that incorporates adverts, you have a duty to your sponsors use grammar to a higher standard.
5000 copies going out with the Manager's name spelt wrong several times... Shudders.
Your magazine has grown & developed. You unfortunately haven't kept up with its development.
How many did you produce for issue 1?
[Post edited 11 Sep 2014 14:16]

The distribution has stayed the same but the size of the magazine has doubled.

The poll isn't clear cut as yet! worth asking the question!!

It looks like you may be right though

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 14:56 - Sep 11 with 1049 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

I'd be willing to proof read it for a small fee. (This is a serious offer).

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 15:50 - Sep 11 with 1028 viewsJackSwanTV

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 14:56 - Sep 11 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

I'd be willing to proof read it for a small fee. (This is a serious offer).

I shall (seriously) decline your offer :)

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 15:58 - Sep 11 with 1024 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 15:50 - Sep 11 by JackSwanTV

I shall (seriously) decline your offer :)

Your loss.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Login to get fewer ads

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 16:05 - Sep 11 with 1018 viewsTheArtChappy

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 21:28 - Sep 10 by Thursday

There are three without being pedantic.

To answer the OP, yes it should be proofread. Before that, though, it also needs some substantive and copy editing.

What are the 3? I'm useless at grammar

The Art Chappy A.K.A Chris Chapman
Poll: should 3pm kick offs be allowed to be brocasted live

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 16:59 - Sep 11 with 968 viewsThursday

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 16:05 - Sep 11 by TheArtChappy

What are the 3? I'm useless at grammar

They're not all grammatical, and I'm probably going to fall on some swords here.

There's no question mark at the end,
"is the spelling mistakes" should be "are the spelling mistakes,"
I'm skeptical on "proof read" over "proofread" or even "proof-read," depending on style guide,
"Jack Swan" should be italicized, depending on style guide.

Two with pedantry equals one without.
Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 17:09 - Sep 11 with 957 viewsGlossolalia

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 16:59 - Sep 11 by Thursday

They're not all grammatical, and I'm probably going to fall on some swords here.

I'm skeptical on "proof read" over "proofread" or even "proof-read," depending on style guide,

I agree with all of that, and would write proof-read. Titles of books, films and magazines should be italicized.

For the OP, the error 'is the spelling mistakes' can be easily rectified. I make this error from time to time when my essays get particularly complex. Simply find the head noun - in this case, 'mistakes'. If it is a plural, the 'to be' verb should be 'are'. A singular noun, like 'mistake', would take the 'to be' verb 'is'.

And yes, proof reading is a must; this is amply shown by the replies to your OP. Nobody is perfect, but many people will question the integrity of your magazine when they read 'Gary Monk'.
Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 17:22 - Sep 11 with 948 viewsGorslasJack

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 20:39 - Sep 10 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Arguably the best fanzine in the Premier League has to be United We Stand.

http://www.uwsonline.com/

Of course it is
Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 20:08 - Sep 11 with 900 viewsexiledclaseboy

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 16:59 - Sep 11 by Thursday

The three I'd seen were the question mark, "...are the spelling mistakes..." and proof-read should be hyphenated. I don't do italics.

Poll: Tory leader

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 20:39 - Sep 11 with 886 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 20:08 - Sep 11 by exiledclaseboy

The three I'd seen were the question mark, "...are the spelling mistakes..." and proof-read should be hyphenated. I don't do italics.

This forum is just getting better and better

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 20:50 - Sep 11 with 878 viewsmonmouth

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 20:08 - Sep 11 by exiledclaseboy

I'm as good at English as you are at economics, or indeed as I am at economics, but would proof read be hyphenated? Thought that was just when words were used as nouns?

If we're really going for the jugular, I would have said there needs to be a comma between 'read' and 'or' and that the second clause makes no sense as a question as stated, even if 'are' replaces 'is'. Of course the spelling mistakes are part of it, that's just a fact. Perhaps 'should the spelling mistakes be part of it?' is the real point.

Cue Warwick to destroy me.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 20:54 - Sep 11 with 842 viewsexiledclaseboy

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 20:50 - Sep 11 by monmouth

I'm as good at English as you are at economics, or indeed as I am at economics, but would proof read be hyphenated? Thought that was just when words were used as nouns?

If we're really going for the jugular, I would have said there needs to be a comma between 'read' and 'or' and that the second clause makes no sense as a question as stated, even if 'are' replaces 'is'. Of course the spelling mistakes are part of it, that's just a fact. Perhaps 'should the spelling mistakes be part of it?' is the real point.

Cue Warwick to destroy me.

As Thursday as pointed out, there are a few ways for proof-read. With our without a hyphen or even one word. You pays your money you takes your choice.

An how dare you impugn my knowledge of economics.

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 20:58 - Sep 11 with 840 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 20:54 - Sep 11 by exiledclaseboy

As Thursday as pointed out, there are a few ways for proof-read. With our without a hyphen or even one word. You pays your money you takes your choice.

An how dare you impugn my knowledge of economics.

It's "pay" and "take".

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 21:01 - Sep 11 with 836 viewsexiledclaseboy

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 20:58 - Sep 11 by Brynmill_Jack

It's "pay" and "take".

Your right of course.

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 21:51 - Sep 11 with 805 viewsStarsky

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 21:01 - Sep 11 by exiledclaseboy

Your right of course.

"You're"

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 21:54 - Sep 11 with 801 viewsThursday

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 21:51 - Sep 11 by Starsky

"You're"

*Whoush*
Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it (n/t) on 22:01 - Sep 11 with 794 viewsStarsky

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 21:54 - Sep 11 by Thursday

*Whoush*

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 22:02 - Sep 11 with 793 viewsjacksinceever

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 19:12 - Sep 10 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

The type of people who read it likely struggle with spelling themselves so it's not really a big problem.

Whatya meen?
Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 22:02 - Sep 11 with 793 viewsStarsky

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it (n/t) on 22:01 - Sep 11 by Starsky

Double whoush...

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 22:06 - Sep 11 with 789 viewsjacksinceever

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 20:06 - Sep 10 by loughor_jack

Hasn't anybody noticed the grammatical error in the title of this thread?

Yes we noticed it should be "is the spelling mistake" or "are the spelling mistakes" ......
Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 22:19 - Sep 11 with 774 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Should Jack Swan magazine be proof read or is the spelling mistakes a part of it on 21:01 - Sep 11 by exiledclaseboy

Your right of course.

I now I am

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024