Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The death of possession football 07:47 - Apr 30 with 3020 viewsQuakerJack

Given the high profile examples in the last week where two teams (Liverpool and Bayern) dominated possession but were ultimately defeated, does this prove that the Rodgers/Guardiola plan A only tactics of death by passing will ultimately get you nowhere?

One thing we have to credit Laudrup with is his ability to set us up to have a plan B. Chelsea over two legs and arsenal away were the best examples of this. Our best performances last season were without the ball.

By contrast, until two weeks ago we were in a relegation scrap, yet we've had more possession than anyone in the league, imagine we'd gone down with that stat.

I don't want us abandoning that style, but whoever comes in as manager needs to be able to get the team to set up to shut teams out in the way we've seen Chelsea and Real do this week.

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

The death of possession football on 08:04 - Apr 30 with 2539 viewsmonmouth

Bayern did nothing with the ball and showed no intent....side to side and hopeless crosses unless Robben came inside to shoot. That's where Laudrup was spot on when he came here and made immediate improvements from where we hadstagnated under Brenno. You have to do something more with the possession.

Having said that I believe that the Scouse had an off day against Chelski....or maybe the pressure got to them, and it wasn't Chelsea 'brilliance'. It was Real brilliance though. They were just a better team than Bayern, although Bayern really didn't help themselves with their appallingly pedestrian approach.

So no, I don't think we need to change, rather revert to the initial Laudrup mantra of intent, and play the game with pace. I'm more worried that our passing has gone AWOL lately.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The death of possession football on 08:31 - Apr 30 with 2458 viewsquiff

I can see what you mean, but would you really want to watch the Chelsea performance in the first leg of the CL every week?

Poll: Is now the time for a Coordinated Fan protest?

The death of possession football on 08:35 - Apr 30 with 2446 viewsDarran

The death of possession football on 08:31 - Apr 30 by quiff

I can see what you mean, but would you really want to watch the Chelsea performance in the first leg of the CL every week?

No I wouldn't but nobody complained when we did it.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The death of possession football on 08:35 - Apr 30 with 2443 viewsDewi1jack

Bayern knowing at half time that they needed 5 goals as a bare minimum to go through, were very pedestrian.
They looked that they were the team defending a 4 goal lead.
I expected them to come out all guns blazing for the 2nd half. Maybe even chucking the keeper forward as early as the 70th minute for corners etc
Tiredness couldn't be used as an excuse, as it was reported when they wrapped the Bundesliga title up in record time, that they would be resting players to ensure their freshness for the CL.
Maybe Guardiola isn't as good a manager as we all think he is

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

The death of possession football on 08:58 - Apr 30 with 2393 viewstomdickharry

Barcelona had Messi,possibly his presence covered up some of the faults in the team.
The death of possession football on 09:13 - Apr 30 with 2361 viewsDrizzy

Death by passing will get you nowhere?

Got Guardiola two Champions League medals.

I wouldn't lump Liverpool and Bayern together either. They've been the most exciting team to watch this season and the likes of Gerrard and Coutinho play long through balls all the time. They only looked like Barcelona on Sunday because Chelsea sat so deep there was no space in behind.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

The death of possession football on 09:17 - Apr 30 with 2354 viewsBrockley_Jack

Stick Suarez in a white shirt and our possession football would see us 15 points higher up the table. Add Europa football to liver pools calendar and we'd end up in roughly the same league position.
The death of possession football on 09:58 - Apr 30 with 2312 viewssmellyjack

Strangely enough, villa had more of the ball than us on Saturday...
Login to get fewer ads

The death of possession football on 10:02 - Apr 30 with 2299 viewsJackSomething

The death of possession football on 09:58 - Apr 30 by smellyjack

We're no longer top of the possession charts for the season either, Southampton overtook us after Saturday.

Forget three points, we're fighting to win the possession table!

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

The death of possession football on 10:23 - Apr 30 with 2245 viewsSwansNZ

Arsenal away without the ball?

Is that the game we won 0-2, had more shots on goal than them and had 56% possession?

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

The death of possession football on 11:55 - Apr 30 with 2129 viewsCatullus

It's as it has always been, possession by itself won't win you anything. You will eventually need another plan or approach to the game, depending on the opposition.
Mourinho is very good tactically, he can set Chelsea up in a number of different ways.
We need to be similar, keeping the ball is all very well but it will eventually be found out and with no other options losing will become the norm.
Under Monk we have been more aggressive in attack, lets hope it lasts!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The death of possession football on 11:56 - Apr 30 with 2127 viewsSpratty

The death of possession football on 09:58 - Apr 30 by smellyjack

Yep that was pretty evident from watching

Although Villa even said Villa were poor, I thought they had some nice play and were generally out passing us for good periods.

I was interested how many started turning on Bren - run out of ideas etc. when he has done so well, of course Suarez is a massive factor.
The death of possession football on 13:04 - Apr 30 with 2035 viewsvetchfan

Whenever this style of football loses a game, everybody questions the whole tactic. If hoffball loses a game it takes months of bad form for somebody to question the style as the main fault. The fact is that Liverpool and Bayern didn't play the style well enough and lost.
The death of possession football on 13:24 - Apr 30 with 2007 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Possession is vital for us ,this subject is brought up every season.
Keep the ball & the other team can't score ,the key is taking your chances with possession .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

The death of possession football on 13:30 - Apr 30 with 1994 viewssomersetsimon

The death of possession football on 08:35 - Apr 30 by Darran

No I wouldn't but nobody complained when we did it.

A "small" team setting up defensively against a big team full of more talented players in a one off match is understandable.
Choosing to do this when you have plenty of good attacking players and limitless resources isn't so great for football.
The death of possession football on 13:50 - Apr 30 with 1940 viewsJethroJack

The death of possession football on 10:23 - Apr 30 by SwansNZ

Arsenal away without the ball?

Is that the game we won 0-2, had more shots on goal than them and had 56% possession?

No...he must mean this season's 2-2...we defended brilliantly after Wilf's 16th minute opener....and Routs was probably our best defender.
The death of possession football on 13:56 - Apr 30 with 1920 viewsJackSomething

The death of possession football on 11:56 - Apr 30 by Spratty

Yep that was pretty evident from watching

Although Villa even said Villa were poor, I thought they had some nice play and were generally out passing us for good periods.

I was interested how many started turning on Bren - run out of ideas etc. when he has done so well, of course Suarez is a massive factor.

Quite a contrast to the away game wasn't it?

Up there we had 73% possession and 17 shots on goal, but only 3 on target and could only draw 1-1.

Last Saturday, we had only 48% possession and dropped to 11 shots, but had 8 on target and scored 4.

We probably played better overall at Villa Park, but couldn't convert our dominance into goals and a win.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

The death of possession football on 14:01 - Apr 30 with 1913 viewsApeShit

The death of possession football on 13:30 - Apr 30 by somersetsimon

A "small" team setting up defensively against a big team full of more talented players in a one off match is understandable.
Choosing to do this when you have plenty of good attacking players and limitless resources isn't so great for football.

At the end of the day it comes down whether you want to win the game or play pretty.

Obviously the best outcome would be to get a combination of both, which is rare.
The death of possession football on 16:07 - Apr 30 with 1819 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The "Possession" as an asset depends on what kind of possession it is.
1. Slow defensive sideways and backwards possession is just asking for trouble from interceptions and passing mistakes.
2. Very slow build up possession allows the opposition more time to prepare and makes them harder to break down, but is preferable to 1.
3. Fast attacking possession, getting in to the penalty area or around behind the defense is best.
But in all cases accurate shots on goal are still required because that is what wins games.
Unexpected shots like Shelvey's also makes the opposition wary of allowing too much possession by us in their half and is very demoralising for them.
The death of possession football on 17:02 - Apr 30 with 1763 viewsoldcob

You do what you need to do to get a result. If you do it by playing pretty football so be it. I'd rather win ugly that lose pretty. Its a competitive game after all. Peoples livings depend on the results.
The death of possession football on 13:54 - May 1 with 1571 viewsDarran

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/may/01/the-question-is-this-the-en

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The death of possession football on 14:31 - May 1 with 1546 viewsC_jack

There is no perfect formation or style, it is what makes the game so great.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

The death of possession football on 15:01 - May 1 with 1519 viewsCooperman

The death of possession football on 13:54 - May 1 by Darran

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/may/01/the-question-is-this-the-en

Good article that. And it could well be the end, for now. These things move in cycles as teams constantly try to get one over each other. At a Euro level at least Munchen might have to re engineer.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

The death of possession football on 15:20 - May 1 with 1506 viewsSpratty

The death of possession football on 13:56 - Apr 30 by JackSomething

Quite a contrast to the away game wasn't it?

Up there we had 73% possession and 17 shots on goal, but only 3 on target and could only draw 1-1.

Last Saturday, we had only 48% possession and dropped to 11 shots, but had 8 on target and scored 4.

We probably played better overall at Villa Park, but couldn't convert our dominance into goals and a win.

Agree. Our delightfully! mysterious team. Ever was it thus, but thank goodness for the win and some lovely goals.

Forgotten the Villa away possession was so high.

Paul was just reminding us of how we played Southampton off the park and lost 2-0.

Hey ho - beautiful to watch, but ineffectual at the end of the day. Same for Man City away, lost but were awesome. Sigh.
The death of possession football on 16:51 - May 1 with 1453 viewswaynekerr55

For me Pep's biggest downfall is his insistence on a suicidal high line, bloody hell even Wellbeck gave them problems in the space behind them.

What this week has proved is the importance of being able to adapt and play in a different style - both in and out of possession

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024