Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ki 11:13 - Apr 6 with 7828 viewsDarran

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Garry-Monk-Ki-Sung-Yueng-big-role-Swanse

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Ki on 12:49 - Apr 9 with 1099 viewstylagarwjack

Ki on 08:41 - Apr 9 by Dr_Winston

Name recognition is a factor, but not the only one. Players will come to the PL because of the league itself, and wages that are higher than they'll find in most other leagues. Having a boss players will have heard of is a bonus, but not vital.

What we need to do is improve the way we go about looking for players, but that's easier said than done given the shambles that is our scouting dept at present. We may have to bite the bullet and work with agents more.

Name recognition is not the only factor, but it's a considerable one, as, unless we are going for players that have yet to come to the attention of other Prem clubs (and how are we going to do that with the scouting department we have?) then we are not likely to be able to outbid other Prem clubs, so I would say it's a key factor for a club like us (along with our style of play and perception as being a good club as a place for players to improve their game), probably more so than for most if not all other Prem clubs.

Of course, as you say, we need to improve the scouting department, but to get it to the stage where it's good enough to identify players that are good enough, before they come to the attention of other Prem clubs, is going to require a significant investment.

On the agent point, don't they just tend to hawk their players around so that they end up going to the highest bidder?
Ki on 14:27 - Apr 9 with 1038 viewsDr_Winston

Ki on 12:49 - Apr 9 by tylagarwjack

Name recognition is not the only factor, but it's a considerable one, as, unless we are going for players that have yet to come to the attention of other Prem clubs (and how are we going to do that with the scouting department we have?) then we are not likely to be able to outbid other Prem clubs, so I would say it's a key factor for a club like us (along with our style of play and perception as being a good club as a place for players to improve their game), probably more so than for most if not all other Prem clubs.

Of course, as you say, we need to improve the scouting department, but to get it to the stage where it's good enough to identify players that are good enough, before they come to the attention of other Prem clubs, is going to require a significant investment.

On the agent point, don't they just tend to hawk their players around so that they end up going to the highest bidder?

Clubs like us will always be attractive to up and coming players who want to move to the PL but haven't quite proven themselves enough for one of the giants to want them. That won't change no matter who is in charge.

Agents can be instructed to find players. For example, Huw could go to someone like Barry Silkman and tell him that we're in the market for a right back. He will do the work of finding some prospective candidates in return for a nice juicy fee. Or we could put it about on the football grapevine that we're in the market for a certain type of player and the agents will come to us, again in return for a fee.

It's an expensive way of doing it, but it takes the legwork out of the equation. Judging by the amount we pay on agents fees it's not something we seem to do a lot of, but given how shite our scouting is it's a bullet we may have to bite in the short term.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Ki on 14:41 - Apr 9 with 1019 viewsUxbridge

Ki on 14:27 - Apr 9 by Dr_Winston

Clubs like us will always be attractive to up and coming players who want to move to the PL but haven't quite proven themselves enough for one of the giants to want them. That won't change no matter who is in charge.

Agents can be instructed to find players. For example, Huw could go to someone like Barry Silkman and tell him that we're in the market for a right back. He will do the work of finding some prospective candidates in return for a nice juicy fee. Or we could put it about on the football grapevine that we're in the market for a certain type of player and the agents will come to us, again in return for a fee.

It's an expensive way of doing it, but it takes the legwork out of the equation. Judging by the amount we pay on agents fees it's not something we seem to do a lot of, but given how shite our scouting is it's a bullet we may have to bite in the short term.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Isn't that what our scouting network is supposed to be doing? I'd worry if an agency had a better idea of what we wanted than our own setup.

Wouldn't necessarily equate agents fees to our reliance on agents. Would assume we have to pay them regardless.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Ki on 14:49 - Apr 9 with 1006 viewsDr_Winston

Ki on 14:41 - Apr 9 by Uxbridge

Isn't that what our scouting network is supposed to be doing? I'd worry if an agency had a better idea of what we wanted than our own setup.

Wouldn't necessarily equate agents fees to our reliance on agents. Would assume we have to pay them regardless.

It is what our network is supposed to be doing. No argument there.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Ki on 14:51 - Apr 9 with 1003 viewsUxbridge

Ki on 14:49 - Apr 9 by Dr_Winston

It is what our network is supposed to be doing. No argument there.

Our scouting system has plenty of knowledge. Mainly of pubs in the Middlesbrough area, but still

Ki on 15:38 - Apr 9 with 981 viewsclement

my gut feeling is that ki demanded 1st team football in his contract when we signed him (x games per season), because of the world cup.

would explain his appearances in defense...

think he was asked to waive the clause, refused, and was then shipped out on loan....

just guess work though.

if we had him back now, where would he play? who do you drop?

leon - canas - holding
jdg - shelvey - box to box
pablo - michu - poz(?) - attacking

if we don't get jdg, is ki a decent replacement?

has he got the legs for it?

i'd rather holtby from fulham (23yr old - bags of talent) or seb larsson (sunderland's only decent player imho)

Poll: who will be our manager next season?

Ki on 07:11 - Apr 10 with 921 viewsYoungGun

Ki on 09:08 - Apr 9 by Uxbridge

You daft racist.

I was hardly putting words in your mouth. You were saying that Ki is better because he's playing in the world cup. Now let's ignore the fact that Korea aren't very good, but De Guzman has a few rather decent players in his way for the Netherlands. It's like comparing apples and aeroplanes.

You are pathetic ! How does calling de Guzman a "Canadian Hispanic" a racist?

Ok he is half Filipino and I neglected to mention his Asian background so that makes me a racist?

The bottom line is de Guzman was born and grew up in Canada, a great hockey nation. (now I am gonna rub it in a 'lil )

And when I made a remark about de Guzman playing (being able to play) just 1 game in World Cup, it had absolutely nothing to do with Ki or Ki playing in WC, go back and see what I typed.

Now that Hiddink will be in charge of Holland this summer and he emphasizes on teamwork rather than depending on an individual clown that is de Guzman, I doubt de Guzman will play a full match.
Ki on 13:50 - Apr 10 with 856 viewsNeiltheTaylor

Oh god. The homesick Korean is back.

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Login to get fewer ads

Ki on 13:51 - Apr 10 with 852 viewslovejuicejack

Another desperate attempt by Monk to cling onto the job Im afraid
Ki on 13:59 - Apr 10 with 837 viewsDarran

Ki on 13:50 - Apr 10 by NeiltheTaylor

Oh god. The homesick Korean is back.

It's not her.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Ki on 14:18 - Apr 10 with 822 viewsUxbridge

Ki on 07:11 - Apr 10 by YoungGun

You are pathetic ! How does calling de Guzman a "Canadian Hispanic" a racist?

Ok he is half Filipino and I neglected to mention his Asian background so that makes me a racist?

The bottom line is de Guzman was born and grew up in Canada, a great hockey nation. (now I am gonna rub it in a 'lil )

And when I made a remark about de Guzman playing (being able to play) just 1 game in World Cup, it had absolutely nothing to do with Ki or Ki playing in WC, go back and see what I typed.

Now that Hiddink will be in charge of Holland this summer and he emphasizes on teamwork rather than depending on an individual clown that is de Guzman, I doubt de Guzman will play a full match.

Aw bless. Stick to writing Ki's name in little hearts on your schoolbooks.

Ki on 19:51 - Apr 10 with 760 viewsicecoldjack

Ki on 15:38 - Apr 9 by clement

my gut feeling is that ki demanded 1st team football in his contract when we signed him (x games per season), because of the world cup.

would explain his appearances in defense...

think he was asked to waive the clause, refused, and was then shipped out on loan....

just guess work though.

if we had him back now, where would he play? who do you drop?

leon - canas - holding
jdg - shelvey - box to box
pablo - michu - poz(?) - attacking

if we don't get jdg, is ki a decent replacement?

has he got the legs for it?

i'd rather holtby from fulham (23yr old - bags of talent) or seb larsson (sunderland's only decent player imho)

That is far too a logical comment for this thread !
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024