Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open 22:24 - Sep 4 with 2547 viewshubble

Feels like this came almost out of nowhere, but apparently he's been hotly tipped to break through. Now he has. Amazing tennis, powerful and graceful. The girls are gonna go wild for him.... and all other denominations, of course.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:57 - Sep 4 with 2428 viewsnix

The internet gremlins deleted my post.

Anyhow in short he's had massive potential for a while - final of junior Wimbledon at age of only 16, beat top ten players in men's game etc. But had niggling injuries which hampered him from reaching the top in the last couple of years although he did reach top 30 last year.

Should be top 20 in the world after this tournament.

Seems like a very nice lad - loves his grandad etc.

Likely to play Sinner - world number 1 - in the semis which I can't see him winning but it's been a fabulous tournament for him - hasn't dropped a set yet.
[Post edited 4 Sep 23:04]
Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 23:03 - Sep 4 with 2394 viewsrbee

Well done Jack. This will be huge for him like it has been for Emma Raducanu.

I read this on the BBC website last week.

Raducanu’s registered company, Harbour 6, posted profits of just under £10 million in 2023. Her prize money for that season was less than £200,000 due to lengthy injury lay-offs, so most of that income is likely to have come from her nine major sponsorship deals with British Airways, Vodafone, Tiffany, Dior, Porsche, Evian, Wilson, Nike and HSBC.
Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 23:08 - Sep 4 with 2354 viewsbosh67

He's playing like a man possessed. As people say, like Raducanu did when she won.

Raducanu will always earn $$$. She's made of glass, but 'well fit' glass!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 23:12 - Sep 4 with 2322 viewsnumptydumpty

Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 23:08 - Sep 4 by bosh67

He's playing like a man possessed. As people say, like Raducanu did when she won.

Raducanu will always earn $$$. She's made of glass, but 'well fit' glass!

Radacanu going down the similar Anna Kournikova route of tennis and glamour Bosh then

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 23:14 - Sep 4 with 2317 viewsbosh67

Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 23:12 - Sep 4 by numptydumpty

Radacanu going down the similar Anna Kournikova route of tennis and glamour Bosh then

I wouldn't kick her off the court.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 23:15 - Sep 4 with 2313 viewsChrisNW6

Anna Kournikova.....mmmmmm❤️❤️❤️
Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 00:47 - Sep 5 with 2170 viewsBoston

Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 23:14 - Sep 4 by bosh67

I wouldn't kick her off the court.

Good, she's on the look out for a ball boy.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 01:00 - Sep 5 with 2162 viewsSydneyRs

Kournikova never won a slam though. I still think Raducanu will come good again, just needs a solid injury free run.
Login to get fewer ads

Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 06:07 - Sep 5 with 1967 viewsnumptydumpty

Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 01:00 - Sep 5 by SydneyRs

Kournikova never won a slam though. I still think Raducanu will come good again, just needs a solid injury free run.

Possibly she could but I think like Kournikova because of her looks and general friendly manner, in these times she is consistently going to make much much more dosh from sponsorships from brand names etc that it could deflect from her focus on her tennis career going forwards.

Which I would have presumed happened with Kournikova.
[Post edited 5 Sep 7:02]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 08:06 - Sep 5 with 1795 viewsstevec

Like Draper, seems to have the work ethic.

Radacanu winning the US was an absolute one off, she’ll never win another major or get near one. Not that she needs to.
Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 08:32 - Sep 5 with 1727 viewsGaryBannister86

Love Jack. He'll win a major. Excellent player.

I do wonder if he ever smashes a racket on court or does a modelling contract for Vogue he will get the same criticism as Murray and Radacanu did?

Oh, hang on...he's already done both. But.....no-one seems bothered?

Imagine if Emma did an after match interview from the quarter final of a slam, plugging Nike? People would be all over it.

Strange, eh?

Still I am sure if he wins the US Open people will rush to point out that it was a fluke, he will never do it again, Alcaraz and Djokovic went out early, all his opponents have been injured or ill.

Or maybe they won't?
Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 08:58 - Sep 5 with 1662 viewsnix

Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 06:07 - Sep 5 by numptydumpty

Possibly she could but I think like Kournikova because of her looks and general friendly manner, in these times she is consistently going to make much much more dosh from sponsorships from brand names etc that it could deflect from her focus on her tennis career going forwards.

Which I would have presumed happened with Kournikova.
[Post edited 5 Sep 7:02]

You would have presumed wrong.

Kournikova had to retire because of a back injury (herniated disk). She still plays in charity matches but couldn't manage the rigours of the tour.

Emma hasn't been able to reach earlier heights because she had three surgeries last year. From what the press writes about her she'd been sitting in a chair eating grapes and dangling her promotional jewellery off her wrist. In reality she's been building herself up to start playing again. I actually saw her myself at the National Tennis Centre last year having to play with children's balls to protect her wrists.

She only does 20 days promotion work a year which is easily fitted in around her tennis commitments. All tennis players do promotion work - as do footballers.

Her injuries are hard to come back from (two wrist injuries and an ankle injury) so she has to manage them carefully, hence not playing every possible tournament. She got it wrong this summer by not playing before the US Open (which she admits) but it's a balancing act with these injuries.
[Post edited 5 Sep 9:02]
Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 09:11 - Sep 5 with 1584 viewsstevec

Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 08:58 - Sep 5 by nix

Kournikova had to retire because of a back injury (herniated disk). She still plays in charity matches but couldn't manage the rigours of the tour.

Emma hasn't been able to reach earlier heights because she had three surgeries last year. From what the press writes about her she'd been sitting in a chair eating grapes and dangling her promotional jewellery off her wrist. In reality she's been building herself up to start playing again. I actually saw her myself at the National Tennis Centre last year having to play with children's balls to protect her wrists.

She only does 20 days promotion work a year which is easily fitted in around her tennis commitments. All tennis players do promotion work - as do footballers.

Her injuries are hard to come back from (two wrist injuries and an ankle injury) so she has to manage them carefully, hence not playing every possible tournament. She got it wrong this summer by not playing before the US Open (which she admits) but it's a balancing act with these injuries.

Do you think she gets her wrist injuries from the way she plays, or more importantly, the way she’s forced to play to compete with the top players?

Some of her matches are like punishment beatings. She did return well in that golden spell but wonder how long her wrists can stand up to being forced to play on the back foot, relentlessly in some matches.
Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 09:16 - Sep 5 with 1571 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

A thread about Jack Draper reaching the US Open semi finals descends into thinly veiled criticism of a young slam-winning female tennis player for doing too much 'promotional activity' in about 15 posts.

I thought we'd be past this by now.
Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 09:41 - Sep 5 with 1494 viewsnix

Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 09:11 - Sep 5 by stevec

Do you think she gets her wrist injuries from the way she plays, or more importantly, the way she’s forced to play to compete with the top players?

Some of her matches are like punishment beatings. She did return well in that golden spell but wonder how long her wrists can stand up to being forced to play on the back foot, relentlessly in some matches.

I'm not an expert but there have been some complaints about how they change the balls from tournament to tournament making it difficult to adjust. Also the timing of the Grand Slams means you're adjusting from clay to grass to hard court in a short space of time without really a chance to properly aclimatise and I'm guessing the ball reacts differently across different tournaments.

Emma was also a precocious talent, playing junior GSs at the age of 15, so playing against 18 year olds who whacked the ball.

I think she's trying to manage her injuries by not playing so much. Her power is one of her big strengths so she can't really dial it down too much but maybe she needs to learn to get more cheap points, get to the net more and finish it off earlier. As I say I don't know enough about it to really say more.
Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 10:14 - Sep 5 with 1428 viewsChrisNW6

Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 08:06 - Sep 5 by stevec

Radacanu winning the US was an absolute one off, she’ll never win another major or get near one. Not that she needs to.

Harsh to write her off at 21, she's reached the 4th round at Wimbledon twice and has the tools to be a top 16 player.
Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 11:19 - Sep 5 with 1327 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 08:06 - Sep 5 by stevec

That is a bold statement.

We might need to revisit that.
Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 11:34 - Sep 5 with 1259 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Very happy for Draper. Think Sinner will be the ultimate winner though, but you never know. Alcaraz and Djokovic both out...
Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 13:27 - Sep 5 with 1089 viewsSnipper

Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 08:58 - Sep 5 by nix

“I actually saw her myself at the National Tennis Centre last year having to play with children's balls to protect her wrists.”

Lucky them. 🤦‍♂️😂
Jack Draper storms into semi-final of US Open on 20:13 - Sep 6 with 755 viewsChrisNW6

Come on Jack!!

He needs to come out strong and try to win points early in the rallies. If he gets drawn into long games, Sinner will pick him off.

Should be a great match and Jack is 1-0 against Sinner head to heads.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024