Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brighton Reflection 17:43 - Aug 3 with 9774 viewsbluenwhite10

Strange game really not much atmosphere with the ground which I guess was due 1/3 being closed

Marti has drilled them to play out of the back and it will work against lesser players within the championship but we nearly got caught out 2/3 times in the 1st half.but like I said I think it will work.

Brighton are a average premier league club but a very well run club and with a couple of 20 million players that alone equals more than the total cost of our squad but even though they had lots of possession we weren’t really outclassed.

I heard a few moans of that is 0 goals in the last 3 Saturday but being honest 2 of those games where against premiership opponents so I am not sure what peoples expectations are.

The new forward…was not going to get much of a look in today so let’s judge him after a few games in the championship.

I thought Field looked good today and Anderson was looking fitter and the keeper is good.

I am sure it has given Marti something to think about for next week when the real business starts but the spine of the team is starting to look strong in Paul, Steve , Jake, Sam and Jake.

No negatives from today Come On you R’s
Brighton Reflection on 18:35 - Aug 3 with 7528 viewsqpr_1968

i'm hoping and praying that all you've said has a lot of hope, and made sense of our last 4 games.
tottenham 0-2
fulham 0-4
reading 0-1
brighton 0-1

all friendlies, and all teams using it as a get fit, see how the team gells, etc.
but surely the law of averages would have seen at least one goal in them four games.
your right, a lot of positives and no negatives from today, and i'm sure marti will sort it.
i really want him to do well, but as others have said, our squad looks worryingly thin, and even more worrying is lack of goals.

next saturday is a different day.....we could wallop wba 3 or 4 nil......on the other hand....

is a week in football long enough to get someone in.....

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Brighton Reflection on 19:01 - Aug 3 with 7322 viewsNortholt_Rs

Brighton Reflection on 18:35 - Aug 3 by qpr_1968

i'm hoping and praying that all you've said has a lot of hope, and made sense of our last 4 games.
tottenham 0-2
fulham 0-4
reading 0-1
brighton 0-1

all friendlies, and all teams using it as a get fit, see how the team gells, etc.
but surely the law of averages would have seen at least one goal in them four games.
your right, a lot of positives and no negatives from today, and i'm sure marti will sort it.
i really want him to do well, but as others have said, our squad looks worryingly thin, and even more worrying is lack of goals.

next saturday is a different day.....we could wallop wba 3 or 4 nil......on the other hand....

This. We are toothless just like last season. We create next to zero goal scoring opportunities. I truly hope I’m wrong but this could be another long season ….

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Brighton Reflection on 19:03 - Aug 3 with 7293 viewsstevec

tottenham 0-2
fulham 0-4
reading 0-1
brighton 0-1

My reflection, never ever go to watch friendlies.
Brighton Reflection on 19:10 - Aug 3 with 7263 viewslassel

Impossible to read too much into things right now, Chair and Cannon will go and there will be a new LB, a couple of new CMs and a Chair replacement.

The most important thing is that the team look structured and disciplined, just lacking in pace and individual creativity - Compare and contrast to this time last year with Ainsworth where the players had no idea what the plan was other than smashing it long up the field.
Brighton Reflection on 19:25 - Aug 3 with 7108 viewsmart_Goblin

Brighton Reflection on 19:10 - Aug 3 by lassel

Impossible to read too much into things right now, Chair and Cannon will go and there will be a new LB, a couple of new CMs and a Chair replacement.

The most important thing is that the team look structured and disciplined, just lacking in pace and individual creativity - Compare and contrast to this time last year with Ainsworth where the players had no idea what the plan was other than smashing it long up the field.

We are set up well and look a solid unit it for the most part, but if you can tell me what the attacking plan is at the moment then that would be great?
There is no cohesion between any of the front players and I think it stems from the 2 in the middle of the park. But essentially they will start next Saturday and for the immediate future so I’m not sure it’s drastically different as regards to patten of play to this time last year .
Of course we are in a much better place …but goal scoring and chances created isn’t that different at all .
Brighton Reflection on 19:31 - Aug 3 with 7022 viewslassel

Brighton Reflection on 19:25 - Aug 3 by mart_Goblin

We are set up well and look a solid unit it for the most part, but if you can tell me what the attacking plan is at the moment then that would be great?
There is no cohesion between any of the front players and I think it stems from the 2 in the middle of the park. But essentially they will start next Saturday and for the immediate future so I’m not sure it’s drastically different as regards to patten of play to this time last year .
Of course we are in a much better place …but goal scoring and chances created isn’t that different at all .

It’s pointless reading into the attacking side as it’s not the side we will be putting out come September - Smyth & Kolli are not going to be starting on the outside and we won’t be starting with Colback - Field as the two in the middle.

We need Chair and Cannon (and ideally Eze) to go to fund the rest of the team makeover but that might well end up being Deadline day stuff so we will just have to muddle through until it’s sorted.

I’d be shocked if at least 1x new CM isn’t in the squad for WBA
Brighton Reflection on 19:40 - Aug 3 with 6913 viewsrbee

tottenham 0-2
fulham 0-4
reading 0-1
brighton 0-1

Against Fulham we played our kids in the main.

The only disappointing result was Reading but as I said at the time it's a pre season friendly in an empty, souless stadium.

Although fun it's pointless to speculate on the match next Saturday but the thought of no Willock and Chair isn't nice.
Brighton Reflection on 19:41 - Aug 3 with 6904 viewsLblock

Really sorry but, based on what I’ve seen last couple of games, Jesus Anderson looks shot.
Real shame as I was hoping he’d get fit over summer and step up to replace Willockas that creative spark but looks miles off.

QPR need a striker
As it was so will it ever be.
Must be into a decade now that we’ve been saying this.

Still think we’ll be okay, especially if we can do better from attack based set pieces

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Login to get fewer ads

Brighton Reflection on 19:51 - Aug 3 with 6784 viewsCiderwithRsie

Brighton Reflection on 19:01 - Aug 3 by Northolt_Rs

This. We are toothless just like last season. We create next to zero goal scoring opportunities. I truly hope I’m wrong but this could be another long season ….

If we are "toothless just like last season" then a few people ought to remember that for the last third of that season we were 4th for points accrued. I'd take that again.

Since then the goalkeeper is a big upgrade, we've lost Willock (but he hadn't contributed much for ages) and we've acquired Celar, who it's too early to say much about.

It's all a bit wait-and-see, but if we're defensively sound that is the foundation that we can build on.
Brighton Reflection on 19:53 - Aug 3 with 6761 viewsBklynRanger

I don't care too much about today. Lost 0-1 to a penalty scored by underachieving multi millionaire Danny Wellbeck.

Would have loved to have been able to give shit to Brighton about their big day out, but Marti seemed pretty clear that he wanted to use today to work on two things - build up and dealing with a high press. You could see certain passes back into our own box that I don't think would have happened in a normal match against difficult opposition.

If they got a good amount of info from that, against a large, relatively expensive squad then fair enough. There were certainly players who looked a bit off but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

I know that will be viewed as a load of rose tinted nonsense by some, but a friendly, against Brighton? Who gives a fcuk.
Brighton Reflection on 20:08 - Aug 3 with 6616 viewsBenny_the_Ball

I normally don't read too much into pre-season friendlies but after failing to score in 4 games, your reflection is rather clutching at straws. Clearly, more additions are required, particularly in midfield, and Chair is an obvious miss.
[Post edited 3 Aug 20:09]
Brighton Reflection on 20:32 - Aug 3 with 6449 viewsLazyFan

Nardi is a very good keeper, a great improvement over Asmir. He will be sold in 2 years for good money.

Colback is in his last season; that's why we have brought in Varane. His legs are starting to go all Cameron. He left JCS exposed a lot and did not protect him enough. Field was on his own in the middle. Paal was better today but still exposed for Pace. Cook was usual solid self.
Dunne has now faced two Prem wingers and coped well. So, last season at RB was not a one-off, he can do it all the time.

Andersen was on his own and just does not have the energy to run all day like Chair. It also shows he cannot do it on his own. He has the skill but cannot last more than 70 mins.

Smyth needs someone to pass him the ball in the last third as he cannot bring it up their himself. Hence in the first-half he was invisible as Celar was.

Kohli was decent and is slowly getting better. I would like to see him against a Champ team as we shall see soon.

Frey, LLoyd and EDB were useful impact subs.

Marti is forcing them to play it out from the back ALL THE TIME, I suspect it is only for the friendlies to put em under pressure and improve this against real oppo. I think in the real games we shall mix it up more.

What our real problem is lack of creativity and passing under pressure as soon as we win it back. Both of these can be fixed with creative players who can also hold onto the ball. We only have Andersen to do this as Chair is out and Willock is gone.

Marti has already said we need to bring in some creative players. So, they are aware of it.

zzzzzzzzzz

Brighton Reflection on 22:55 - Aug 3 with 5794 viewsqueensparker

It’s rather concerning but we did beat Leeds 4-0 at end of last season with basically the same players

As others have said Chair is the key to all this. Either we have a plan to keep him or replace him with someone equally as good as he is the heartbeat of our team and has been for years now.
Brighton Reflection on 23:23 - Aug 3 with 5626 viewsnumptydumpty

It was a dreadful performance and concerning that four friendlies in England are all defeats and zero goals and very few chances.

Appreciate its not a time to be questioning signings of course - Nardi looks a decent proposition.

I would love some top signings in midfield and attack and think am expecting a few top loans from prem sides.

We seem to be extremely,poor in friendlies.

Our best player today was Paal who is meant to be leaving us...
[Post edited 3 Aug 23:25]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Brighton Reflection on 23:56 - Aug 3 with 5473 viewstimcocking

There’s playing out from the back, and there’s being fcuking stupid.

I hope we learn to play out of the back when possible and fcuking clear the ball rather than conceding a stupid goal when it isn’t possible!!!
Brighton Reflection on 23:59 - Aug 3 with 5468 viewscaliforniahoop

Brighton Reflection on 19:41 - Aug 3 by Lblock

Really sorry but, based on what I’ve seen last couple of games, Jesus Anderson looks shot.
Real shame as I was hoping he’d get fit over summer and step up to replace Willockas that creative spark but looks miles off.

QPR need a striker
As it was so will it ever be.
Must be into a decade now that we’ve been saying this.

Still think we’ll be okay, especially if we can do better from attack based set pieces

Anderson shouldn’t be first choice and hopefully isn’t come the end of the window.
Brighton Reflection on 09:16 - Aug 4 with 4593 viewsgazza1

Not been to any PSF's.......

What sticks out like a sore thumb, though, is the lack of goals.......it is my only worry actually and I am sure our Manager is dealing with the situation.
Brighton Reflection on 10:24 - Aug 4 with 4264 viewsDWQPR

This match was not about the result at all. For me MC was much more interested about two things:

How the team copes with building out from the back with a high press.

How we deploy and cope with our own high press.

There isn’t much better opposition to test ourselves in these two areas than Brighton. A highly technical side with the capabilities to pass through most sides in this country and a very energetic forward line that presses well.

We made one mistake and lost the game, other than that I thought we did pretty damn well in both the building and pressing. Sure Brighton were a better side but we will not face anything of that quality or near that quality in the Championship. The big plus for me over these few games other than the playing style has been Kolli. He looks more than ready for the rigours of the season ahead and giving his physical development I think he could eventually lead the attack.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Brighton Reflection on 10:49 - Aug 4 with 4127 viewsdannyblue

This is the first pre-season game I've seen. My reflections:

Impressed with Nardi.

Dunne did well against Mitoma. And good to see he can be effective for the deep floated freekick routine even against prem defenders. I know think he's made that position his own.

Andersen's form is worrying - last few games of last season, and in this...lots of underhit asses.

Movement from front four was still poor from restarts, especially compared to Brighton who were excellent at it (especially first time lay offs and third man runs).

Alfie Lloyd looks the part physically, good size and moved very freely. Hopefull he can play too. I thought he tried a little hard to impress in his cameo while also somehow choosing the safe backwards pass a couple times too.

I think through pre-season we've been hoping that one of Kolli / Bennie / Lloyd will show that they can replace Willock without a new signing. I think we do need a first team attacker for the right hand side, and also potentially to start centrally - and if we start too many games with one of them or Paul Smyth we won't go too far. Hopefully one of them has a breakout season though.

We didn't yet have much of a plan for throw ins, and Zelar did not seem to know that we might expect him to come closer so we could do the percentage game of working it up the line.
Brighton Reflection on 11:22 - Aug 4 with 3909 viewsHoopsie

I think one reflection will be that if we have had 2 or 3 Brighton forwards, we will be a force to be reckoned with.

Still feeling upbeat we haven’t seen the last of our summer acquisition

Poll: Isaac Hayden - Yes or No?

Brighton Reflection on 11:40 - Aug 4 with 3764 viewsLblock

Brighton Reflection on 10:49 - Aug 4 by dannyblue

This is the first pre-season game I've seen. My reflections:

Impressed with Nardi.

Dunne did well against Mitoma. And good to see he can be effective for the deep floated freekick routine even against prem defenders. I know think he's made that position his own.

Andersen's form is worrying - last few games of last season, and in this...lots of underhit asses.

Movement from front four was still poor from restarts, especially compared to Brighton who were excellent at it (especially first time lay offs and third man runs).

Alfie Lloyd looks the part physically, good size and moved very freely. Hopefull he can play too. I thought he tried a little hard to impress in his cameo while also somehow choosing the safe backwards pass a couple times too.

I think through pre-season we've been hoping that one of Kolli / Bennie / Lloyd will show that they can replace Willock without a new signing. I think we do need a first team attacker for the right hand side, and also potentially to start centrally - and if we start too many games with one of them or Paul Smyth we won't go too far. Hopefully one of them has a breakout season though.

We didn't yet have much of a plan for throw ins, and Zelar did not seem to know that we might expect him to come closer so we could do the percentage game of working it up the line.

Under hit asses can be a problem and one we’ll be smarting from for a while.

Hopefully we start the season proper better and give WBA a spanking

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Brighton Reflection on 12:59 - Aug 4 with 3450 viewsrichpr

No goals in 3 friendlies is very worrying. I wouldn't necessarily blame the forwards as it is hard to imagine a team giving less service to the front players. Our only attacking source is through Smyth and his final ball and finishing is pretty poor. We need young, enthusiastic midfielders / inside forwards to make runs into the box - this gives more space to the front men. It is too easy to mark the lone forward in the box. We should learn from how Brighton played it right through the middle of our static defence in the first half. Collback and Field play it too safe. Very disappointed with Andersen so far - just hoping he is saving himself for next Saturday. From what I've seen of Varane, he looks good on the ball but maybe a little lightweight. Definitely not the type of player busting a gut to get into the box. Hopefully, with a full house at LR, we'll turn things around.
Brighton Reflection on 17:05 - Aug 4 with 2874 viewsE17hoop

Brighton Reflection on 10:24 - Aug 4 by DWQPR

This match was not about the result at all. For me MC was much more interested about two things:

How the team copes with building out from the back with a high press.

How we deploy and cope with our own high press.

There isn’t much better opposition to test ourselves in these two areas than Brighton. A highly technical side with the capabilities to pass through most sides in this country and a very energetic forward line that presses well.

We made one mistake and lost the game, other than that I thought we did pretty damn well in both the building and pressing. Sure Brighton were a better side but we will not face anything of that quality or near that quality in the Championship. The big plus for me over these few games other than the playing style has been Kolli. He looks more than ready for the rigours of the season ahead and giving his physical development I think he could eventually lead the attack.

This.

Mitoma - at £35m+ - cost more than our entire team and, as I said after Spurs, this was about minutes and trying things out against strong opposition.

Lack of goals? Of course but IMWT*.

*In Marti We Trust

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

Brighton Reflection on 17:15 - Aug 4 with 2840 viewsLogman

Lots of messages about how Brighton were a class above and we won't be up against anyone so good this term.

I didn't think they were that good.

Much more a case of us not offering anything.

Think we will play quite a few teams who will knock it about in a similar fashion as the Seagulls yesterday.
Brighton Reflection on 17:23 - Aug 4 with 2804 viewssimmo

If we're not getting 10m plus for chair there's just no point selling this summer, the guy is our entire attack. We'd need to have 2 individual contributers lined up that can hit the ground running for it to make any sense this season.

I know financial stuff is important, and I wouldn't suggest we turn down anything too good to reject or spend beyond our means, but we also need to take the opportunity to give Marti the best squad possible while he's here, because he won't be for long and managers like him don't turn up at QPR often.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024