Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New CEO appointed 15:31 - Jan 12 with 39665 viewsNorthernr

Stick with me kids.

New CEO appointed on 21:41 - Jan 12 with 2873 viewsGloucs_R

New CEO appointed on 21:10 - Jan 12 by baz_qpr

So having googled around he's bit of a mystery, quoted in the FT and the Guardian this year on football finance and business stories and in the Athletic in 2022 and in some US media. Couple of tiny companies at companies house. There is someone sharing his name who back in 2015 was French football English language news editor and seemed to be an expert in those leagues, not sure if it's the same guy. Degree at Oxford, Masters in 2020 in business

If I was to hazard a guess I think this is a restructure job, the company he comes from is supposed to be one that works with US and other investors to build multi club portfolios. and he is quoted in some of the articles about the advice they give around restructuring focusing on the identity of each club thinking about how you can move players around etc. So whilst he is young (and lets be honest so are most of the management consultants or SPADS heavily involved in government and large corporate firms) This very much feels like putting the right structures in place to make the club a sellable asset or investment opportunity to these growing multi club investors.

Would be amazed if he is here for more than a year at best, and tbh it looks like the right reasons because we are not tenable as a club with our ground and limited revenue as things stand

Agree that he could be a CEO in name for a wider group of clubs or companies within the next 6 months.... I wasn't aware that palace had the same structure behind them as this multi-club business.

I do disagree that management consultants are young. I work with the big management consultancy firms on a day-to-day basis and the senior guys all have grey hairs.... And I don't mean that they have styled themselves on Charlie Austin the last time he was at Rangers šŸ˜‰

Poll: Are we staying up?

New CEO appointed on 21:47 - Jan 12 with 2828 viewsHunterhoop

New CEO appointed on 21:15 - Jan 12 by QPR_Jim

Starting with the positives, there have been comments about hoos looking tired and out of energy, so good that we have fresh blood, energy and ideas coming in.

He also seems to have a strong background in analytics, so may use data to make better decisions.

On the negative side he's quite young which will put a target on his head before he's even started.

The article in the guardian is about multi-club ownership, so possibly there's incoming investment from someone looking to add an EFL team to their portfolio but that seems unlikely.

Americans from Cincinnati? Donā€™t they own the MLS franchise over there? Connected to Reilly? Just waiting for the asking price to reduce significantly after relegation?
New CEO appointed on 21:48 - Jan 12 with 2813 viewsQPROslo

New CEO appointed on 16:52 - Jan 12 by Antti_Heinola

Indeed. He said a lot of the things Clive has been banging on about for absolutely ages.

Being a cynic, maybe because Clive has been banging on about it.
New CEO appointed on 21:51 - Jan 12 with 2798 viewscaliforniahoop

New CEO appointed on 15:38 - Jan 12 by MrSheen

The choice was either kill him or buy his silence.

lol
New CEO appointed on 21:59 - Jan 12 with 2732 viewsSimonJames

New CEO appointed on 21:41 - Jan 12 by Gloucs_R

Agree that he could be a CEO in name for a wider group of clubs or companies within the next 6 months.... I wasn't aware that palace had the same structure behind them as this multi-club business.

I do disagree that management consultants are young. I work with the big management consultancy firms on a day-to-day basis and the senior guys all have grey hairs.... And I don't mean that they have styled themselves on Charlie Austin the last time he was at Rangers šŸ˜‰

When I used to work in corporate I can remember a senior bod from PWC saying that after a consulting deal was secured by a partner, then they sent in "the school bus",

100% of people who drink water will die.

New CEO appointed on 22:06 - Jan 12 with 2677 viewsGloucs_R

New CEO appointed on 21:59 - Jan 12 by SimonJames

When I used to work in corporate I can remember a senior bod from PWC saying that after a consulting deal was secured by a partner, then they sent in "the school bus",

Lots of apprentices go through the ranks of management consultants so yes I agree with that.

As I said, maybe he is just the short-term mouthpiece.

Poll: Are we staying up?

New CEO appointed on 22:27 - Jan 12 with 2579 viewsDorse

New CEO appointed on 20:12 - Jan 12 by Rangersw12

Out of interest what appointment would have got your approval?

The giant rubber shark from Jaws, if I'm allowed a vote. Don't know why. Just think he looks focused and would be a bastard in negotiations.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

New CEO appointed on 22:27 - Jan 12 with 2574 viewsQPR_Jim

New CEO appointed on 21:47 - Jan 12 by Hunterhoop

Americans from Cincinnati? Donā€™t they own the MLS franchise over there? Connected to Reilly? Just waiting for the asking price to reduce significantly after relegation?

Don't be daft, my money's on Queens Park Red Bull, saw it here first.

I think the owners distancing themselves from the day to day of the club and looking for investment suggests they'd sell if there was a decent offer but who in their right mind would want to buy us at the moment?
Login to get fewer ads

New CEO appointed on 22:29 - Jan 12 with 2564 viewsQPRConor2000

New CEO appointed on 15:43 - Jan 12 by Northernr

I have gently said before, I promise I'm not just sitting in my back bedroom making this stuff up

Clive, what are the lottery numbers for this Saturday haha
New CEO appointed on 22:40 - Jan 12 with 2506 viewsSydneyRs

Welcome back Richard Thompson.
New CEO appointed on 22:40 - Jan 12 with 2506 viewsHunterhoop

New CEO appointed on 22:27 - Jan 12 by QPR_Jim

Don't be daft, my money's on Queens Park Red Bull, saw it here first.

I think the owners distancing themselves from the day to day of the club and looking for investment suggests they'd sell if there was a decent offer but who in their right mind would want to buy us at the moment?

Well, quite. I donā€™t think anyone will buy now. But in League 1, RubĆ©nā€™s hand is weakened, and he continues to prop it up in the meantime.
New CEO appointed on 22:49 - Jan 12 with 2463 viewsNorthernr

New CEO appointed on 21:48 - Jan 12 by QPROslo

Being a cynic, maybe because Clive has been banging on about it.

Now here you and I are aligned. Several of the lines in that interview felt cherry picked from QPR socials and message boards.
New CEO appointed on 23:08 - Jan 12 with 2377 viewsnadera78

Everything I'm about to write comes with the obvious proviso that I know absolutely nothing about this guy, apart from what's been mentioned today on here and in his interview.

If I had to list the biggest problems facing QPR (apart from the constant losing of football matches, obviously) I'd say there are three that take priority. 1) we have a small, decrepit stadium that is completely unfit for modern sport, has 3-4K seats with terrible views which further limits our options, has a tiny hospitality provision, and must cost a fortune in maintenance, 2) our recruitment, with a handful of honourable exceptions, has been terrible for a decade or more and sees us consistently paying over the odds for players who aren't particularly good and/or don't really want to play for us, 3) our academy, whilst better than it once was, doesn't produce enough players of a high enough quality to make a tangible difference to our club.

All 3 of those problems are, tbh, things that should be the bedrock of any football club. Good venue, good recruitment, good development. They're the basics, the things you simply have to have in place. To do that, I think we need someone from a lower league club (or another, smaller, sport altogether) who is accustomed to working on a budget. Someone who can get the basics sorted - address the overstaffing, find the key appointments like a new DOF, focus on solving our stadium problem.

And yet we've appointed as CEO a 26 year-old with no experience in any of those things. He's never run a business of any kind, let alone a football club. He's never built a sports facility. He's never hired and fired anyone (or even been hired and fired himself for that matter). He is, from everything we can see at the moment, a consultant.

And this worries me because it fits into a pattern of behaviour from our owners. From the day they walked through the door, 13 years ago now, they've looked for short cuts. They've looked for flashy options. They've looked to jump 3 gears at a time. They've now looked at the clubs and journalists wetting themselves over analytics and hired an inexperienced young man, whose only job has been as an advisor, and who speaks fluent MBA and says things like "I am truly excited by the next-generation football project we are building together".

How about getting the basics sorted first, eh? Hmm.
New CEO appointed on 23:15 - Jan 12 with 2340 viewsCateLeBonR

Well it all seems pretty mental but a different kind of mental at least. Good luck Christian.
New CEO appointed on 23:24 - Jan 12 with 2293 viewsCiderwithRsie

New CEO appointed on 22:49 - Jan 12 by Northernr

Now here you and I are aligned. Several of the lines in that interview felt cherry picked from QPR socials and message boards.

Still, not actually the worst thing in the world for a new CEO to be aware of what fans are thinking and want.

Now regretting not having spent months on Twitter banging on about the need for free season tickets and a personal invitation to meet the new Miss France.
New CEO appointed on 23:32 - Jan 12 with 2266 viewsHunterhoop

New CEO appointed on 23:08 - Jan 12 by nadera78

Everything I'm about to write comes with the obvious proviso that I know absolutely nothing about this guy, apart from what's been mentioned today on here and in his interview.

If I had to list the biggest problems facing QPR (apart from the constant losing of football matches, obviously) I'd say there are three that take priority. 1) we have a small, decrepit stadium that is completely unfit for modern sport, has 3-4K seats with terrible views which further limits our options, has a tiny hospitality provision, and must cost a fortune in maintenance, 2) our recruitment, with a handful of honourable exceptions, has been terrible for a decade or more and sees us consistently paying over the odds for players who aren't particularly good and/or don't really want to play for us, 3) our academy, whilst better than it once was, doesn't produce enough players of a high enough quality to make a tangible difference to our club.

All 3 of those problems are, tbh, things that should be the bedrock of any football club. Good venue, good recruitment, good development. They're the basics, the things you simply have to have in place. To do that, I think we need someone from a lower league club (or another, smaller, sport altogether) who is accustomed to working on a budget. Someone who can get the basics sorted - address the overstaffing, find the key appointments like a new DOF, focus on solving our stadium problem.

And yet we've appointed as CEO a 26 year-old with no experience in any of those things. He's never run a business of any kind, let alone a football club. He's never built a sports facility. He's never hired and fired anyone (or even been hired and fired himself for that matter). He is, from everything we can see at the moment, a consultant.

And this worries me because it fits into a pattern of behaviour from our owners. From the day they walked through the door, 13 years ago now, they've looked for short cuts. They've looked for flashy options. They've looked to jump 3 gears at a time. They've now looked at the clubs and journalists wetting themselves over analytics and hired an inexperienced young man, whose only job has been as an advisor, and who speaks fluent MBA and says things like "I am truly excited by the next-generation football project we are building together".

How about getting the basics sorted first, eh? Hmm.

Great post. Obviously I hope we have struck lucky and found a unicorn. Perhaps he is visionary in the field. We can but hope.

Iā€™m sceptical though. He doesnā€™t come across as someone who has grown up in real football, heā€™s a consultant, heā€™s young, and he has next to no leadership and man-management experience, nor business operational experience.

Equally, whilst we all love QPR, we are a tiny business. Ā£25m turnover is small fry, with a consumer base who are pretty invested/addicted and so there is no hiding place. So, who can we actually attract.

Iā€™ve said for a while, the fanbase is probably the best place to look.

Anyway, letā€™s see and hope.
New CEO appointed on 00:08 - Jan 13 with 2161 viewsNov77

I tried to watch his interview but I only got 6 seconds in before turning it off.

My gut reaction was ā€˜fcuk me, itā€™s Richard Thomsponā€ the very first thing he said was to describe us as an institution (presumably a mental one).

Iā€™ve heard the old line that every consultancy report ends with the words, ā€˜what you need is more consultancyā€ but Iā€™ve never heard of the consultant becoming the CEO.

I have no faith in Hoos or rueben making the right decision after making so many wrong ones, and as for the new guy being all about stats and data, wasnā€™t les going on about algorithms shortly before Ainsworth rocked up?

Bollocks to all of it!

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

New CEO appointed on 01:09 - Jan 13 with 2042 viewsconnell10

New CEO appointed on 18:40 - Jan 12 by Rangersw12

People wanted change and now they're moaning about the change šŸ˜‚

That's not change its just the same old bollocks, some unshaven scruffy bloke suddenly pops up spouting Christ knows what and I'm supposed to throw my hands in the air saying praise the Lord hallelujah......well fock that , I've seen it all before, got the tee shirt etc. It's totally craplola....

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

New CEO appointed on 07:34 - Jan 13 with 1740 viewsDannyPaddox

What fresh madness is this?
New CEO appointed on 08:02 - Jan 13 with 1667 viewsnumptydumpty

Definitely an intelligent man

Very young but very focused

Is football so much about data now

No spend in this window

Not sure how we stay up if no spend

Speaks well but there is so much to do, no money available and a great majority of the essential staff that aren't performing ie the players.

I have no idea whether this is brilliant, awful or unimportant.

Give the guy a chance but he has one hell of a job on his hands.
[Post edited 13 Jan 8:02]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

New CEO appointed on 08:18 - Jan 13 with 1631 viewsGus_iom

Good luck to the new bloke, first of all..
If I'm being negative, and I am writing this firmly ensconced in the dog house, it reinforces that those who run the club don't have a clue.
So they give a s/t contract to consultants to help them in their decision making, and the consultants give one of their own a contract. Meh.
Hope I'm wrong and this fella is the new messiah, and we can rise to the heavens and walk with such gods as Luton, Bournemouth, Burnley and f##King Brentford.
But we're a football club, and we talk so much, and spend so much money and time, so many appointments, and we end up with that steaming pile of shite served up before us.
How?
New CEO appointed on 08:36 - Jan 13 with 1592 viewsDiscodroids

After watching the interview and drinking in his persona, i feel like having to cheer myself up by watching the scene in 'Threads' were the tabby cat melts in a depleted uranium CCCP nuclear strike and the ena sharples doppleganger pisses her knickers on her doorstep.

The Richard thompson physiognomy has been picked up upon by others but he reminds me of a 26 year old peter swales. let the good times roll baby. It's all gravy.
[Post edited 13 Jan 8:44]

".... You are the... Duke of New York... You're A-Number One!".

New CEO appointed on 09:05 - Jan 13 with 1510 viewslassel

New CEO appointed on 21:47 - Jan 12 by Hunterhoop

Iā€™ve posted before that I spent a long time working for a Cincinnati based company and a colleague/friend I used to go out and see regularly is very active in the local sports scene. He said that Reilly was well known as the bagman for the Lindner family and the rumour was that Reilly had joined the board on their behalf ahead of a takeover.

Reilly and Lindner III are in the ownership group of FC Cincinnati and Lindner Jr owned the Cincinnati Reds with Reilly on the board.

Now obviously nothing came of it so I assumed it was just a bad rumour, or any deal was reliant on us going up, but who knows, maybe in L1 it becomes an attractive enough proposition again for them to come in.
New CEO appointed on 09:14 - Jan 13 with 1464 viewsPunteR

New CEO appointed on 09:05 - Jan 13 by lassel

Iā€™ve posted before that I spent a long time working for a Cincinnati based company and a colleague/friend I used to go out and see regularly is very active in the local sports scene. He said that Reilly was well known as the bagman for the Lindner family and the rumour was that Reilly had joined the board on their behalf ahead of a takeover.

Reilly and Lindner III are in the ownership group of FC Cincinnati and Lindner Jr owned the Cincinnati Reds with Reilly on the board.

Now obviously nothing came of it so I assumed it was just a bad rumour, or any deal was reliant on us going up, but who knows, maybe in L1 it becomes an attractive enough proposition again for them to come in.

Whats the difference in price to Championship QPR compared to L1 QPR ?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

New CEO appointed on 09:59 - Jan 13 with 1332 viewspaulparker

New CEO appointed on 22:40 - Jan 12 by SydneyRs

Welcome back Richard Thompson.

Thatā€™s the first person I thought of after that interview

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot Thatā€™s there thatā€™s two, and thatā€™s Bowles Brian Moore

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024