Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
You Have To Emigrate 10:32 - Sep 5 with 13612 viewsBrianMcCarthy

A combination of the local constabulary, the revenue and VAR have given you no choice. You have to go.

But you can live anywhere in the World you like. You have enough cash but you'll need a local job just to keep bread on the table.

Where's the dream?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

You Have To Emigrate on 16:39 - Sep 5 with 2256 viewsBrianMcCarthy

You Have To Emigrate on 16:31 - Sep 5 by Sir_Chops

I'd go to Crete, buying a home like this one:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/126636203?currencyCode=GBP#/?channel=OVER

Then I'd brew mead with the local honey, which would become legendary and earn the income needed to put bread on the table!

Sweet.

What a house!

You Have To Emigrate on 16:47 - Sep 5 with 2221 viewsderbyhoop

We bought a holiday home in rural Limousin, France. The intention was to sell on retirement.
But we move out permanently, 6 years ago. I'm working as an Estate Agent, but my French is now fairly good.
Great location for peace and tranquility. Prices average about 90,000€, so plenty of bang for your buck. And it's not the cheapest department in France.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

You Have To Emigrate on 18:36 - Sep 5 with 2112 viewsBoston

You Have To Emigrate on 16:47 - Sep 5 by derbyhoop

We bought a holiday home in rural Limousin, France. The intention was to sell on retirement.
But we move out permanently, 6 years ago. I'm working as an Estate Agent, but my French is now fairly good.
Great location for peace and tranquility. Prices average about 90,000€, so plenty of bang for your buck. And it's not the cheapest department in France.

...and of course, wonderful china.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

You Have To Emigrate on 18:50 - Sep 5 with 2081 viewsdutch

You Have To Emigrate on 10:39 - Sep 5 by BrianMcCarthy

Guéthary.

I think this would do for me. A small village in the Basque Country, just south of Biarritz. A nice climate, nice local food and wine, a language I could re-learn in time and a sweet reef wave in the harbour for sunrise and sunset surfs.

During the day, I'd probably take a job waiting at the café on the pier, giving surf tips to the passing surf groms. "A nine inch centre fin, Mademoiselle? Non, non, non, may I suggest a three-fin set-up for sharper turns? C'est Moi".

I could see out my years there.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2022 10:40]

Which language are you learning though Brian? Euskera is pretty tough.
You Have To Emigrate on 19:04 - Sep 5 with 2053 viewsBoston

You Have To Emigrate on 18:50 - Sep 5 by dutch

Not as tough as double dutch.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

You Have To Emigrate on 19:13 - Sep 5 with 2046 viewsBrianMcCarthy

You Have To Emigrate on 18:50 - Sep 5 by dutch

I would have to re-learn French first as Guéthary is in the French part of the Basque Country. I'm far from fluent.

I'd have to learn Euskera as well. From scratch. you're right - it's unreal hard!

You Have To Emigrate on 19:31 - Sep 5 with 2013 viewsdistortR

You Have To Emigrate on 19:13 - Sep 5 by BrianMcCarthy

I would have to re-learn French first as Guéthary is in the French part of the Basque Country. I'm far from fluent.

I'd have to learn Euskera as well. From scratch. you're right - it's unreal hard!

"It's unreal hard!"
Your English could do with a bit of a brush up as well, mate?

Point of order, those British people moving to a different part of the world and then saying it's good because there's not too many British people there, I understand the sentiment but it makes me wince. Are you calling me a c'nt?
You Have To Emigrate on 20:01 - Sep 5 with 1973 viewsBrianMcCarthy

You Have To Emigrate on 19:31 - Sep 5 by distortR

"It's unreal hard!"
Your English could do with a bit of a brush up as well, mate?

Point of order, those British people moving to a different part of the world and then saying it's good because there's not too many British people there, I understand the sentiment but it makes me wince. Are you calling me a c'nt?

"It's unreal hard!"
Your English could do with a bit of a brush up as well, mate?}

I'm so goodly spoken I use slang now, Mister.

Login to get fewer ads

You Have To Emigrate on 20:18 - Sep 5 with 1947 viewsPlanetHonneywood

You Have To Emigrate on 16:47 - Sep 5 by derbyhoop

Bonjour mon ami,

Similarly to you, we came here seven years ago for three months, stayed a year, returned a couple more times and before work took us to the far east again, popped over and put an offer in on a place.

Semi-retired here last year. We’re an hour from the Med, the Pyrenees not that much further away, and shed loads of interesting places, vineyards and history in between. Get the train and within four or five hours voila, you’re in some great places.

Has some ‘annoyances’ of course, but feel more relaxed then at any stage in the last 30 years. Certainly the thought of being in southern France got me through the last challenging year in Qatar.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

You Have To Emigrate on 23:15 - Sep 5 with 1818 viewsconnell10

Weston super mare

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

You Have To Emigrate on 00:00 - Sep 6 with 1757 viewsSydneyRs

Australia is pretty good tbf. No language issues, usually great weather, similar system to what you would be used to in terms of taxation, schools, employment etc. Strong economy and less of the downside issues such as crime.

Interesting that many chose European destinations, almost as if having the right to live and work in many European countries with no issues might have been an advantage.

I could do somewhere like France or Germany I think. Also loved Budapest when I visited.
You Have To Emigrate on 00:14 - Sep 6 with 1739 viewsNewBee

Cadiz - little bit of everything - and their football team is back in La Liga to boot.
You Have To Emigrate on 00:25 - Sep 6 with 1738 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Hounslow.

Great transport links there.
You Have To Emigrate on 00:58 - Sep 6 with 1710 viewsNorthernr

Siena, San Seb, Seville, Sydney. Favourite places I've been so far. Had a right to move to three of them, now not so much.
You Have To Emigrate on 02:01 - Sep 6 with 1678 viewsBenny_the_Ball

You Have To Emigrate on 00:58 - Sep 6 by Northernr

Siena, San Seb, Seville, Sydney. Favourite places I've been so far. Had a right to move to three of them, now not so much.

Loved Siena, I was fortunate to be there for the palio. In fact, most of Tuscany is a dream. Sydney is a great city but pretty expensive now.
You Have To Emigrate on 08:49 - Sep 6 with 1570 viewsngbqpr

I'm another one in the camp torn between teeming metropolis and middle of nowhere.

Lisbon and Barcelona are both fantastic cities with the sea and great countryside on their doorsteps, so both tempting.

Travelling round central and South America in a camper also appeals.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

You Have To Emigrate on 09:22 - Sep 6 with 1531 viewsDubaiR

A Thai island any of them will do
You Have To Emigrate on 09:38 - Sep 6 with 1521 viewsDWQPR

Barbados. Beautiful island, both the rugged east coast and the platinum sands of the west coast provide a great diversity along with the greenery of the centre of the island, great climate, great people, great culture and great food. They also love their football and of course cricket. The Bajans just love life.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

You Have To Emigrate on 10:02 - Sep 6 with 1497 viewsdutch

Mexico City. Ancient metropolis with great modern culture, architecture, more galleries and museums than London or Paris. Food is fantastic, people kind (unless they're killing each other) and Cruz Azul are my Mexican team.
You Have To Emigrate on 10:05 - Sep 6 with 1488 viewsnix

You Have To Emigrate on 08:49 - Sep 6 by ngbqpr

I'm another one in the camp torn between teeming metropolis and middle of nowhere.

Lisbon and Barcelona are both fantastic cities with the sea and great countryside on their doorsteps, so both tempting.

Travelling round central and South America in a camper also appeals.

My friend's moved to Lisbon. She has a dream of a life!
You Have To Emigrate on 10:15 - Sep 6 with 1475 viewsTacticalR

You Have To Emigrate on 10:05 - Sep 6 by nix

My friend's moved to Lisbon. She has a dream of a life!

That's interesting. By chance yesterday I came across this article arguing the opposite:

Real Estate Speculation Has Made Lisbon One of the World’s Most Unliveable Cities
https://jacobin.com/2022/09/lisbon-portugal-rents-speculation-airbnb

According to that article:
'Although prices have risen, the population has fallen. In the 1980s, the neighbourhood of Alfama had 20,000 residents. Today it houses one thousand.'

I went there in the late 80s/early 90s when it was very run down.

Air hostess clique

You Have To Emigrate on 10:37 - Sep 6 with 1457 viewsBklynRanger

You Have To Emigrate on 10:02 - Sep 6 by dutch

Mexico City. Ancient metropolis with great modern culture, architecture, more galleries and museums than London or Paris. Food is fantastic, people kind (unless they're killing each other) and Cruz Azul are my Mexican team.

Been wanting to go there for ages. I might PM you at some point dutch for a couple of pointers if that's ok - if a decent fare ever pops up.
(No subject) (n/t) on 11:44 - Sep 6 with 1410 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Poll: Expectations for this season?

You Have To Emigrate on 11:56 - Sep 6 with 1390 viewsLandshark

You Have To Emigrate on 00:58 - Sep 6 by Northernr

Fully agree with Seville. I looked at moving there before, such a beautiful city. Not sure I would have been able to handle the summer heat though.
You Have To Emigrate on 12:14 - Sep 6 with 1358 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I’d find myself a little cottage on São Jorge in the Azores. Spend my time hiking in the mountains and swimming the pools and lagoons. I’d be forced to face my aversion to eating seafood and I’d get a job making cheese.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024