Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Washington 09:33 - Aug 31 with 19203 viewsaston_hoop

Joining Sheffield Utd on a season long loan. They made a goalscorer at this level out of Leon Clarke so anything is possible.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Washington on 10:51 - Aug 31 with 2887 views1JD

Washington on 10:44 - Aug 31 by qprd

It makes sense to terminate the contract rather than loan when the player is out of contract at the end of the season. Similar to what Rangers/Boro did with Baptiste.

If we loaned CW, CW would be entitled to the full wage he's currently on. SUFC would either have to assume the full wage, or QPR would have to contribute to part of it

QPR want a clean break and don't want to assume any of his wages

CW wants to get the amount of wages he's on now, so he'd be reluctant to agree to terminate his contract. However, he knows hes out of contract next year, and he hasn't been playing too well. He wants to be guaranteed a wage next year and also ensure he's still playing in the Championship rather than L1. So in exchange for agreeing to terminate his contract and taking a lower wage at SUFC, SUFC have likely offered him an extra year on his contract (similar to what Rangers offered with Baptiste)

Good post qprd
Washington on 10:59 - Aug 31 with 2797 viewsdannyblue

But if it’s one in one out in January we might have been wiser to wait until then...
Washington on 11:01 - Aug 31 with 2776 viewsAntti_Heinola

Washington on 10:43 - Aug 31 by paulparker

Cant help but like Washington he gave a 100% he just didn't have the talent or a decent partner up top to really make a difference , I think he would work well with a target man in a 4-4-2 but that's just my opinion , can't blame the club they took a gamble and it didn't pay off , I was quite excited when we got him as it was the sort of signing we should be making ,
I think we need to keep sylla , if we get injuries to Hemed or wells then we need back up

I thought that about 4-4-2 as well mate, but when he did play in that formation, he never seemed to get closer enough to smith, or read any flick-ons. He always seemed to run the wrong side, or be too far away.
Still, good luck to him. There's a player there.

Bare bones.

Washington on 11:02 - Aug 31 with 2761 viewschris1969

How long was left on his contract? Are allowed to Sell players in Jan 2019?

Probably mutually beneficial as we were never going to recoup money through a transfer.

Shame though as I think he was good back up for Nahki Wells, but a bit expensive if sitting on the bench.
Washington on 11:05 - Aug 31 with 2730 viewsTacticalR

It's pretty difficult to write anything about Washington without being horribly negative, especially after all the awful games I've sat through where high balls have been pumped in his general direction. I keep thinking about all the things he can't do:

- not tall and physical enough to get anywhere near the high balls
- not skillful enough to create something out of nothing
- never in the right place at the right time (e.g. no understanding of where Smith's nod ons were going to go)
- complete inability to hit the target

On the positive side his running could drag defenders away and create opportunities for other players to score.

Air hostess clique

Washington on 11:05 - Aug 31 with 2722 viewsmakaveli1882

What happens if Wells or Hemed get injured or called back especially Hemed if Murray gets injured?

With Sylla and Washington gone that would leave us with 60 minute Smith and a transfer window we cant use.
Washington on 11:06 - Aug 31 with 2708 viewsSimonJames

Washington on 10:31 - Aug 31 by Maggsinho

Not just a loan but he's had his contract terminated by mutual consent!

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/striker-conor-washington-departs-loftus-roa

That's sad. Hopefully it makes it easier for him to get something more suitable.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Washington on 11:07 - Aug 31 with 2686 viewsJigsore

guessing he won't be invited on the podcast anytime soon.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Login to get fewer ads

Washington on 11:08 - Aug 31 with 2683 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Best QPR news I have had in a long while. He was like a deadweight on any team he played in. Smith was always better without him, so when his chance comes he should do better. Washout was also in Smyth and Oteh's way. Never has a QPR striker played so often yet been so ineffective.
Washington on 11:09 - Aug 31 with 2670 viewstimcocking

Hmmm.

Well, it never really worked out, but he always worked selflessly and gave 100%, so no problems with him. Best of luck to him*. I can see why they signed him in the first place, he always looked pretty good. A touch more composure and he'd be a quality player. If i'd been scouting him and actually watched him score plenty of goals, i'd have thought it was a good gamble. Shame.

* Accept, obviously, i'll have to cross my fingers he doesn't get 25 goals for Sheff Utd, that'd be annoying. That fcuker from Peterborough would be quick to harp on about it again, i'm sure.
Washington on 11:12 - Aug 31 with 2634 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Washington on 11:01 - Aug 31 by Antti_Heinola

I thought that about 4-4-2 as well mate, but when he did play in that formation, he never seemed to get closer enough to smith, or read any flick-ons. He always seemed to run the wrong side, or be too far away.
Still, good luck to him. There's a player there.

Agreed, think there’s a Championship player in there somewhere. Fresh start probably the best thing for him now. Think he could do better if playing in a more settled side that are going to give him the ball to feet. Sheffield Utd seems a good fit for him.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Washington on 11:16 - Aug 31 with 2597 viewsSimonJames

Do you think it was Big Smith's save for Bristol Rovers that was the final nail in the coffin?

100% of people who drink water will die.

Washington on 11:20 - Aug 31 with 2573 viewsNorthernr

Simmo calls it right whenever I sit with him. The amount of times a ball drops, is flicked on, is crossed or is passed in the danger zone and Washington is flat on his heals, five or six yards away from it, is staggering for a striker who has scored prolificly, albeit at lower levels. We were watching him do it against Bristol Rovers on Tuesday for a bit (bored) and you can tell by the look on his face after it's happened that he realises he should have been there, but he just doesn't have the knack of it.

The great goalscorers of his size, build and style talk about it just being instinctive, just having a nose for a space and where the ball is going to go. Billy Sharp is a realistic target for him to aim for at our level - somebody who struggled to step up from League One to here but has eventually carved out a good living and scored quite regularly. Even he's always had that nose for where to be in the area.

Not sure if it's a confidence thing, to me he just doesn't look good enough for the level. Guess we'll find out if he goes to Sheff Utd.
Washington on 11:24 - Aug 31 with 2550 viewsonlyrinmoray

I watched the highlights of the Rovers game Poor ol Connor smacked one shot it was heading in the goal.... then hit big Matt on the goal line and came out. It just wasn't meant to be Connor

BTW did anyone read about Berahino.. 2 and a half years since he had scored for WBA or Stoke in that time he had earned £10 million. Football today crazy
Washington on 11:32 - Aug 31 with 2473 viewsBlackCrowe

Inducted into Forevers Rs?

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Washington on 11:36 - Aug 31 with 2437 viewsLowerloftLad

the home game vs Barnsley last season he went through one on one twice against a side resigned to a defeat and smacked it straight at the keeper twice

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Washington on 11:37 - Aug 31 with 2432 viewsDavieQPR

Washington on 11:05 - Aug 31 by makaveli1882

What happens if Wells or Hemed get injured or called back especially Hemed if Murray gets injured?

With Sylla and Washington gone that would leave us with 60 minute Smith and a transfer window we cant use.

A player cannot be recalled if a fee has been payed and cannot be recalled until January
regardless.
Washington on 11:40 - Aug 31 with 2390 viewsEsox_Lucius

At least it pushes Oteh up in the pecking order and, albeit only the U23's, he looks like a decent target man and has a bit of bulk to hold off defenders.

The grass is always greener.

Washington on 11:42 - Aug 31 with 2373 viewsfrancisbowles

Washington on 11:20 - Aug 31 by Northernr

Simmo calls it right whenever I sit with him. The amount of times a ball drops, is flicked on, is crossed or is passed in the danger zone and Washington is flat on his heals, five or six yards away from it, is staggering for a striker who has scored prolificly, albeit at lower levels. We were watching him do it against Bristol Rovers on Tuesday for a bit (bored) and you can tell by the look on his face after it's happened that he realises he should have been there, but he just doesn't have the knack of it.

The great goalscorers of his size, build and style talk about it just being instinctive, just having a nose for a space and where the ball is going to go. Billy Sharp is a realistic target for him to aim for at our level - somebody who struggled to step up from League One to here but has eventually carved out a good living and scored quite regularly. Even he's always had that nose for where to be in the area.

Not sure if it's a confidence thing, to me he just doesn't look good enough for the level. Guess we'll find out if he goes to Sheff Utd.

I was quite patient with him up to last season, when after a bright start he returned to his usual level. Even in that opening game, where he scored two (1pen,) he missed another chance with one of his complete mishits.

He always seemed to be on his heels, as you have mentioned, mostly half hearted attempts for high balls, just hopping rather than jumping into a proper challenge and trying to make it difficult for the opponent.

As for his goal attempts they are hurried efforts that result in slices or going wildly over or he gets a proper connection but hits it straight at the keeper.

I hate being so negative about an R, but I can't help feeling that it has been a complete waste of money and after establishing that running and closing down was all he had to offer us, I couldn't understand why he was still getting selected ahead of young promising players.

Still if the other night helped to get him off the books then, job well done.
Washington on 11:47 - Aug 31 with 2319 viewsRs_Holy

Washington on 11:24 - Aug 31 by onlyrinmoray

I watched the highlights of the Rovers game Poor ol Connor smacked one shot it was heading in the goal.... then hit big Matt on the goal line and came out. It just wasn't meant to be Connor

BTW did anyone read about Berahino.. 2 and a half years since he had scored for WBA or Stoke in that time he had earned £10 million. Football today crazy

Maybe Berahino is one of things Hughesless would have done differently with hindsight!?... anyway back to Conner and this is the right thing to do. Next season he’ll be plying his trade in League 1 and probably scoring regularly!
Washington on 11:47 - Aug 31 with 2314 viewsBluce_Ree

I'm guessing the curse comes into effect and he does alright for them.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Washington on 11:48 - Aug 31 with 2314 viewsToast_R

Oh well, sometime you just have to accept - when you're shite, you're shite!
Washington on 11:49 - Aug 31 with 2297 views1JD

Washington on 11:20 - Aug 31 by Northernr

This is bang on!
Washington on 11:51 - Aug 31 with 2275 viewsRangersw12

Wolves away was where I finally lost patience with him after he missed a couple if sitters

Good luck to him though and I hope he does well at Sheff U
Washington on 11:57 - Aug 31 with 2220 viewsNorthamptonR

Just a 1 year deal, Sheffield United not full of confidence in him either
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024