Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlie just scored at Utd 16:45 - Jan 23 with 12736 viewsbosh67

7 mins into his debut.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Charlie just scored at Utd on 03:02 - Jan 24 with 1956 viewsisawqpratwcity

Charlie just scored at Utd on 01:08 - Jan 24 by loftinoz

I can't help wondering whether Harry had some deal that meant he got a percentage of any profit on a player he signed. Didn't Gerry have this? Selling Charlie for 4 mill. meant Harry didn't get a bonus. That in itself is good enough for me.

Not good enough for me. You're saying that if such an arrangement existed, then the fact that the transaction did not result in a commission is proof that the arrangement existed and that the club wished to avoid such a commission (even if it possibly meant that the club actually earned less).

But that is just a matter of logic about Austin's sale. Much more importantly for me, because I hadn't heard this claim before, did Francis incorporate such a clause? I don't see how that isn't a massive conflict of interest for him, leaving him liable to at least dismissal, if not actual criminal prosecution.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Charlie just scored at Utd on 04:35 - Jan 24 with 1928 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Charlie just scored at Utd on 17:01 - Jan 23 by Discodroids

well done Chas.

In the final analysis

A) We Purchase Charlie Austin at £4 million .

B) He scores 86 goals in 164 games , an English Striker with 18 goals in the premier league last season in a terrible, arthritic , decrepit team.

C) we then sell Charlie Austin for £4 million .

Something somewhere went Badly wrong between points A and C to end up with a fee you'rd get for a latvian left back with one functioning testicle. Johnny Ball aint gonna tell me any different.

I realise we cant afford principals with FFP hanging over us like a spear of destiny but id rather he fu cked off for nothing and we retained a bit of dignity. Rather than scamper round on the dirty floor scuffling up southamptons loose change like filthy super tennants soaked beggars.

i hope they gave fernandes the elastic band off their Wad so he can keep his flapping tramp shoes together.

Makes The Rowlands/Dowie /Trevor Sinclair Transfer Seem like a canny bit of business that Jordan Belfort would Chuck a dwarf at in admiration.

Not angry, just fked off.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2016 17:03]

Unfortunately football these days is all about player power.
It's all bollox and has gone too far.
Most of them are overpaid and under performers and all they do is go from club to club.

Charlie Austin did very well for us and we obviously should have extended his contract after the Derby Play Off Final. Failing that we should have taken the money in the summer. However we can't change history.
Charlie was a real asset for QPR and it is hugely disappointing that we only got our stake back after giving him a chance after Hull pulled out of the deal.
4m for Charlie Austin will be seen as one of the best transfer buys of the current era.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2016 4:37]
Charlie just scored at Utd on 09:22 - Jan 24 with 1843 viewsDrewster

Great, well done him, was always bound to happen on his debut.
He got the move he wanted, we should be looking at him as he looks at us.
In the rear view mirror.
He's moved on, so should we. And hopefully learn some business lessons from this.
Charlie just scored at Utd on 09:35 - Jan 24 with 1830 viewsPunteR

Charlie just scored at Utd on 09:22 - Jan 24 by Drewster

Great, well done him, was always bound to happen on his debut.
He got the move he wanted, we should be looking at him as he looks at us.
In the rear view mirror.
He's moved on, so should we. And hopefully learn some business lessons from this.

Your last sentence" learn some business lessons" is the only positive we can take away from the deal. Apart from getting our money back for him of course.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Charlie just scored at Utd on 10:46 - Jan 24 with 1766 viewsnightwish

Southampton got Charlie Austin for a steal.If I was premier league chairman I would be questioning my manager as to why QPR wernt offered 8m for his services.When you think I believe that Crystal Palace paid 9m for Conor Wickham who is not close to the same class as Charlie Austin
Charlie just scored at Utd on 10:50 - Jan 24 with 1762 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Charlie just scored at Utd on 10:46 - Jan 24 by nightwish

Southampton got Charlie Austin for a steal.If I was premier league chairman I would be questioning my manager as to why QPR wernt offered 8m for his services.When you think I believe that Crystal Palace paid 9m for Conor Wickham who is not close to the same class as Charlie Austin

Chairman should be questioning Director of Football not the manager as I understand he is responsible for transfers.
Charlie just scored at Utd on 11:30 - Jan 24 with 1699 viewsessextaxiboy

Charlie just scored at Utd on 10:46 - Jan 24 by nightwish

Its only a bad move for us if you believe that Austin would have scored the goals to promote us ... ?

So we are 4mil plus salary better off than we would have been in June .

Grant Hall just signed for longer , hopefully he stays and helps us go up but now we get the right price if he goes.
Charlie just scored at Utd on 11:35 - Jan 24 with 1689 viewsJuzzie

It's very strange so few clubs showed an interest. Leicester only club to make a formal offer last summer even if Newcastle showed a passing interest and Palace not interested this window. Thats about it isn't it? I dont recall any other club being mentioned one way or another.

What do all the other clubs know they we dont? Sure, Southampton were a huge pull for him which probably discounted a lot of other clubs especially the likes of Newcastle, Sunderland, Villa but what if Everton were interested or Liverpool?

In way, i think this shows just how weak the PL is. The big clubs are so big theyll only go for some 'name' overseas player costing £30m+, any club in the bottom half dozen will be discounted so that leaves probably no more than 6-7 clubs of which some will be not intested themselves or the player either leaving just a few potential ones.

It really seems Southampton were the only choice and they will be pissing themselves laughing getting him so cheap.

When a contract has less than a year left, the Bosman ruling, player power etc has made selling clubs the ones who usually lose out of the three parties concerned.

[Post edited 24 Jan 2016 12:00]
Login to get fewer ads

Charlie just scored at Utd on 11:55 - Jan 24 with 1654 viewsDoughnut

Charles is a goal machine. All things considered, only we could find ourselves losing him for £4mill.....its what we do. (Better than nowt in the summer though, I suppose)Nevertheless, equal blunder rites should go to the PL teams, as mentioned, who ignored him last Summer.
All power to Charlie's elbow though, wherever he is....top pro!
[Post edited 24 Jan 2016 11:58]
Charlie just scored at Utd on 11:56 - Jan 24 with 1648 viewsdistortR

Austin scores unmarked from a corner , something he did regularly during attack v defense training at qpr, you'd imagine
[Post edited 24 Jan 2016 13:30]
Charlie just scored at Utd on 11:58 - Jan 24 with 1635 views1BobbyHazell

Good luck to him, glad to see his injury clear up in such a timely fashion!

I'll always keep an eye out for how he does but he's entered the last third of a well paid contact focusing on his exit from it (admittedly didn't stop him being the best player WHEN he played). Fantastic couple of years but not enough for legendary status.
Charlie just scored at Utd on 12:15 - Jan 24 with 1595 viewsthemodfather

he was never injured over recent weeks kept fit for sale
anyway WELL DONE QPR, SOLD OUR ASSET CHEAP, after declining nearer £10m+ pre -season, taking £4m and he has paid saints back already with that goal at manure yesterday..................
Charlie just scored at Utd on 14:23 - Jan 24 with 1508 viewsJuzzie

Charlie just scored at Utd on 12:15 - Jan 24 by themodfather

he was never injured over recent weeks kept fit for sale
anyway WELL DONE QPR, SOLD OUR ASSET CHEAP, after declining nearer £10m+ pre -season, taking £4m and he has paid saints back already with that goal at manure yesterday..................

How many times do people have to say it...... Hindsight is wonderful.

Had we moved on the likes of Philips, Green, Sandro, Hoilett then yes i think we'd have sold him to Leicester.
I think it's fair to say that it was felt with all players staying we had a better chance for a promotion push. Not that it helped with TF's instagram message.

Lets say we were comfortably in the top 6, i think Austin would have stayed and assessed his situation in the summer. The moment his contract was under a year, he held all the cards.
I believe we offed him a new deal but he turned it down knowing clubs having to buyout another couple of years would cost £10-15m and would virtually put most clubs off.

Had we not gone up then we would have lost him for nothing and still be in the Championship.
Had we gone up then he would decide to stay or go.

As it transpired, with all the players retained we have been awful and no chance of going up so selling him was sadly the only choice.

Situations change and you have to change with it.

QPR have made a lot of bad decisions the last 5 years but I wish people stop digging out the club as this was not one of them.

I bet if we'd sold Austin in the summer people would still be moaning saying the reason we are mid table is because we sold him.

Some people just like to complain no matter what, as though they somehow have foresight that others don't have.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2016 14:24]
Charlie just scored at Utd on 14:29 - Jan 24 with 1492 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Charlie just scored at Utd on 14:23 - Jan 24 by Juzzie

Had we moved on the likes of Philips, Green, Sandro, Hoilett then yes i think we'd have sold him to Leicester.
I think it's fair to say that it was felt with all players staying we had a better chance for a promotion push. Not that it helped with TF's instagram message.

Lets say we were comfortably in the top 6, i think Austin would have stayed and assessed his situation in the summer. The moment his contract was under a year, he held all the cards.
I believe we offed him a new deal but he turned it down knowing clubs having to buyout another couple of years would cost £10-15m and would virtually put most clubs off.

Had we not gone up then we would have lost him for nothing and still be in the Championship.

As it transpired, with all the players retained we have been awful and no chance of going up so selling him was sadly the only choice.

QPR have made a lot of bad decisions the last 5 years but I wish people stop digging out the club as this was not one of them.

I bet if we'd sold Austin in the summer people would still be moaning saying the reason we are mid table is because we sold him.

Some people just like to complain no matter what, as though they somehow have foresight that others don't have.

Should we all just move on? Why torture ourselves? He is now an ex QPR player.

Let's all concentrate on the current heroes and scapegoats until the next generation.
Charlie just scored at Utd on 15:41 - Jan 24 with 1407 viewsJigsore

the fact we already gave Hally a contract extension would probably indicate we're learning

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Charlie just scored at Utd on 19:06 - Jan 24 with 1289 viewsGetMeRangers

Charlie just scored at Utd on 17:23 - Jan 23 by ichbinnaughty

There needs to be the full picture here.

We sign Charlie for £4m. After another club decided that medically he constituted some element of risk that meant they (Hull) were not comfortable paying several MILLION pounds against.
We took a risk - albeit on a player that had a consistently outstanding goal scoring record at every level he's played. We signed Charlie by offering a three year contract on, no doubt, more wages than he had ever earned before. A fee and no doubt some reasonable wages. A risk.

Charlie does very very well for us.
We were, for once, rewarded for taking a risk.

At some point over the intervening two years (no doubt when we were in the Premier League) we must surely have offered a new contract. I'm assuming Charlie's agent advised to "concentrate on your football, focus on keeping scoring the goals, and we'll see where both we and QPR are at the end of the season". In other words, thanks for the offer, we want to consider contracts after the season ends. Standard conduct.

QPR are relegated. Charlie has, meanwhile, shone.
QPR try to sign Charlie to a longer contract. "Come on Charlie, we want you, your happy, your family are happy, why not sign this new contract".

He never did. The club under performed, as ever.
What else could the club do?
Nothing except at least cash in as much as possible, and maintain a very good relationship with a modern day club legend.
To coat the club is naive and petty and pathetic.

Charlie just scored at Utd on 07:42 - Jan 25 with 1157 viewsdaveB

His movement for the goal was brilliant, he did it so many times for us where he gets himself unmarked and in the right position by moving away from his marker and then just standing still, he really is top class and hope he does really well in the next few years
Charlie just scored at Utd on 08:52 - Jan 25 with 1134 viewsstonebridgers

Charlie just scored at Utd on 17:23 - Jan 23 by ichbinnaughty

There needs to be the full picture here.

We sign Charlie for £4m. After another club decided that medically he constituted some element of risk that meant they (Hull) were not comfortable paying several MILLION pounds against.
We took a risk - albeit on a player that had a consistently outstanding goal scoring record at every level he's played. We signed Charlie by offering a three year contract on, no doubt, more wages than he had ever earned before. A fee and no doubt some reasonable wages. A risk.

Charlie does very very well for us.
We were, for once, rewarded for taking a risk.

At some point over the intervening two years (no doubt when we were in the Premier League) we must surely have offered a new contract. I'm assuming Charlie's agent advised to "concentrate on your football, focus on keeping scoring the goals, and we'll see where both we and QPR are at the end of the season". In other words, thanks for the offer, we want to consider contracts after the season ends. Standard conduct.

QPR are relegated. Charlie has, meanwhile, shone.
QPR try to sign Charlie to a longer contract. "Come on Charlie, we want you, your happy, your family are happy, why not sign this new contract".

He never did. The club under performed, as ever.
What else could the club do?
Nothing except at least cash in as much as possible, and maintain a very good relationship with a modern day club legend.
To coat the club is naive and petty and pathetic.

The big mistake was not getting him to sign a contract extension after the play off win. You cannot blame Les, JFH or CR for that.
As for England I would be delighted to see him in the side but I am not sure if Roy likes him as he had the ideal opportunity to watch him in the 2 friendlies last summer and he was left on the bench.

Stonebridgers

Charlie just scored at Utd on 10:09 - Jan 25 with 1104 viewsAntti_Heinola

Charlie just scored at Utd on 08:52 - Jan 25 by stonebridgers

The big mistake was not getting him to sign a contract extension after the play off win. You cannot blame Les, JFH or CR for that.
As for England I would be delighted to see him in the side but I am not sure if Roy likes him as he had the ideal opportunity to watch him in the 2 friendlies last summer and he was left on the bench.

Not a mistake - they tried. A lot.

Bare bones.

Charlie just scored at Utd on 16:39 - Jan 25 with 989 viewsQPR1882

Charlie just scored at Utd on 14:23 - Jan 24 by Juzzie

Hindsight is wonderful.

There was a survey on here a few months before the start of the season in fact it was when the transfer window was still open and Leicester had offered us £12M. The survey was where do you think we will end up this season, i believe most put us in the top 10, a few in the playoffs but no one put us in the auto spots.

Hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing but when most fans could see we were not going up this year why did the club make a £12m gamble on us going up ?.Selling Austin for £4m is just another reason for fans of other clubs to point at us and shout Q P HA HA HA HA HA HA
Charlie just scored at Utd on 16:47 - Jan 25 with 982 viewsdaveB

Charlie just scored at Utd on 16:39 - Jan 25 by QPR1882

Hindsight is wonderful.

There was a survey on here a few months before the start of the season in fact it was when the transfer window was still open and Leicester had offered us £12M. The survey was where do you think we will end up this season, i believe most put us in the top 10, a few in the playoffs but no one put us in the auto spots.

Hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing but when most fans could see we were not going up this year why did the club make a £12m gamble on us going up ?.Selling Austin for £4m is just another reason for fans of other clubs to point at us and shout Q P HA HA HA HA HA HA

but the club didn't make a 12 million gamble, Austin turned down the move and several others which he said himself back in September, you can't force the man to leave.

Also recall when that bid came in most on here said well done to the club and we should hold out for what he is worth as still 2 months of the window remained
[Post edited 25 Jan 2016 16:48]
Charlie just scored at Utd on 17:05 - Jan 25 with 964 viewsQPR1882

Charlie just scored at Utd on 16:47 - Jan 25 by daveB

but the club didn't make a 12 million gamble, Austin turned down the move and several others which he said himself back in September, you can't force the man to leave.

Also recall when that bid came in most on here said well done to the club and we should hold out for what he is worth as still 2 months of the window remained
[Post edited 25 Jan 2016 16:48]

But the club did gamble, and lost. We could easily have sold Austin for the £15M we wanted in the window. Yes i agree clubs were frightened off with the £15m price tag but we could have put him up for £12m with £3m add ons, goals scored etc etc. The club gambled on us going up and Charlie signing an extension to his contract.
Charlie just scored at Utd on 17:05 - Jan 25 with 964 viewsisawqpratwcity

Charlie just scored at Utd on 16:39 - Jan 25 by QPR1882

Hindsight is wonderful.

I remember voting in this poll for automatic promotion.

Where will QPR finish this season?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

As you can see your memory is faulty, with about a third nominating top two and another third nominating play-offs. Care to revise your opinion?

Charlie just scored at Utd on 17:06 - Jan 25 with 963 viewsQPR1882

Charlie just scored at Utd on 17:05 - Jan 25 by isawqpratwcity

I remember voting in this poll for automatic promotion.

Where will QPR finish this season?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

As you can see your memory is faulty, with about a third nominating top two and another third nominating play-offs. Care to revise your opinion?

nope.
Charlie just scored at Utd on 17:29 - Jan 25 with 1124 viewsisawqpratwcity

I'm not seeing the results of the poll in my post so I'll transcribe them (poll_1141):

Automatic Promotion 13 votes 31%
Play-offs 16 votes 38.1%
Top Half (7th-12th) 8 votes 19%
Bottom Half (13th-21st) 2 votes 4.8%
Relegated 3 votes 7.1%

"Hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing but when most fans could see we were not going up this year why did the club make a £12m gamble on us going up ?"

Hindsight may be a wonderful thing but you haven't got any. Your argument about 'what most fans could see' is baseless and yet you still won't shift your opinion or offer an alternative argument. What kind of a numbskull troll are you?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024