Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Seriously falling out of love with football 15:42 - Mar 21 with 7157 viewsloftboy

Started going to games in 1978, always loved match day, but the excitement for me is waneing, seen 3 games on tv this weekend all ruined by seriously bad refereeing mistakes, Pat Partridge, even Clive Thomas were absolute gems compared with today's "superstar" Refs. I hate turning up each week knowing deep down that a win would be a shock and hoping that we can finish 17th, what's the point, I hate being surrounded by tourists taking photos of the away team when they warm up, being tutted at if a swear word escapes my lips at yet another incompetent decision, basically if it wasn't for the conversations with fellow fans who sit around me, whom purely through QPR have become what I consider friends then the whole day would be a chore, had a chat with my kids who have been going since they were 4 and both were non plussed when I suggested not renewing next season.
May need a season break to get my enthusiasm back, but when you speak to long serving fans like Ted and they feel the same then something must be seriously wrong somewhere, bumped into my neighbour at the gym today who is a season ticket holder in the upper loft and he said loads around him we're saying the same. Very sad but a by product of the armchair fan who have been pandered to beyond belief by sky etc.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Seriously falling out of love with football on 08:05 - Mar 22 with 1872 viewsCHUBBS

I gave up going consistently in 2012 because I got tired of the obsession with cheating and ripping fans off.
I purposely don't take my young lads as I'd rather spend the money on them actively participating in their own sports.
I've constantly been offered free tickets but would rather watch it in a ropey stream because I just can't be bothered with it all.
I know it's all changed from the years I was travelling to all the games so it's partly an age thing but it does appear to be greed orientated since the introduction of agents post Bosman.
The way the current owners are running things,recruiting egotistical big club cast offs who couldn't give 2 shits about our club has really done it for me.
I'll still watch from afar and defeats will still be hard to take.
However my love for the club though still there will never be the same as it once was.
Seriously falling out of love with football on 08:38 - Mar 22 with 1836 viewspaulparker

TBH it's the Prem we are all sick of
Stupid ko times, overpaid players , cheating, showbiz refs , tourist fans, Sky, BT , talksport, transfer windows,
It's all over hyped bolox ,
You can't relate to players anymore even the sh1t ones earn 60 large a week why would you want to put money in millionaires pockets ? Summed up by us paying Zarate to collect splinters on his arse
Like many I haven't had a season ticket for around 6 years I don't get the buzz anymore
And I would rather spend my money on a family holiday etc
There was a time I wouldn't think twice about going to Rangers I hated not going ,now I would rather watch my step daughters team play on a Saturday it gives me more enjoyment
It's all summed up to me about talk sport devoting a day to Sterlings contract issues , really the blokes got 2 years to run & is all ready earns more in 6 months than most do in a lifetime of working ,
Like I said the prem is overhyped every team in the CL have been knocked out and those teams who qualify for the Europa league just sack it off as they can't play Sunday's
If we can appoint a Warburton a Robinson ship out our deadwood, salary cap our players get some good young players in then I will go to more games , the thought of watching niko, Zamora, Barton is about as exciting as paint dry and not worth the money

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Seriously falling out of love with football on 08:41 - Mar 22 with 1831 viewsWeaverQPR

More worrying i'm falling out of love with QPR the place stinks. Only been a handful of times over this and last season.

@WeavQPR

Seriously falling out of love with football on 09:24 - Mar 22 with 1804 viewscaliforniahoop

Great post, my twins are 6 in two months, they have only been to two games, a friendly and Wembley, my son has got a QPR flag in his room.

I am toying with the idea of getting a family season ticket next season.

I want them to feel the excitement I did back in 75/76, the 80's and 90's but the club is so different now.

Queens Park Rangers needs to get back in touch with it's fan base, lose the big earners and media whores.

Young hungry players, we also need fans on the board, having LF on board is a start.

We also need to retain players like Dunne, Hill and Zamora, intergrating them into the coaching set up, these are the sort of things that would start to heal the club, knowing that Furlong and Steve Gallen are in the background is a good feeling.

Young players of the future need to know what it like to play for the mighty hoops and respect the badge.

Once we the fans start seeing players that truly care, players Grego Cox, Sutherland who support the club, that will start emanating from the pitch, in time that will filter back into the stand

We truly do need our Rangers back, before we continue to lose the old guard.
Seriously falling out of love with football on 10:26 - Mar 22 with 1743 viewsDiscodroids

premiership football = W.W.F ' sports entertainment'

A Number One.

Seriously falling out of love with football on 10:52 - Mar 22 with 1727 viewsted_hendrix

Out of the last 13 games we've actually won only one game, that takes a lot of resilience to make supporters keep turning up.
It is hugely expensive nowadays as a supporter and what makes it worse is the fact that the players themselves now earn obscene salaries whilst us stupid bastards keep turning up spending our "hard earn t" to watch the minges make silly basic errors time and time again.
In my opinion that makes us the idiots, I'd dearly like to walk away from QPR and throw the towel in, when was the last time anybody said "that was one hell of a game"? I cant remember, I reckon those days are over, last night I watched snippets of the WHU/Sunderland game dear me it was bloody awful and with an admission price of probably £45 Its wrong.

In a couple of hours time I'm gonna start my car up and haul my sorry arse up the M4 for about the millionth time, I've got this notion in my head that if we win we'll be only one point from safety and then there be maybe a tad, just a tad of hope that we'll pull off the great escape, should we pull off the great escape what then? another season of fiffing and faffing around in the bottom 3 of this god awful league.

I don't know why we do this shit, I really don't.

Maybe we really are idiots.

Have a nice day etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Seriously falling out of love with football on 12:10 - Mar 22 with 1671 viewsOakR

I started going in 84. At my 'peak' as a single young man I had a ST and went to about 1/2 the away games. This season looks like my first of not going to a single game.

I had one self exposed exile for a bit, I think it was during the Chris Wright years when the ticket prices went up to £26 or £30, can't remember now, and I thought the prices were taking the p*ss.

Slowly as I've got married, and now have 2 young children I've gone less and less and it's been hard to justify the time expense and especially the time away from the children. But I'd always missed not going.

Now I don't really miss it at all. Some will be for the reasons above - it's just easier to go when you are single (IMO) than with a young family (mine are 1 and 4). But now something has gone, I mentioned a while ago as many others have that the club has lost it's soul, it's identity. It's hard to relate to now. The best time for this for me was when Holloway was in charge with that crop of players, it just felt good going to the games - we could not be further from that in any sense right now.

I agree with other posters when we talk about atmosphere being lost etc. Ironically I'm sure Sky etc want full stadiums as it will look bad if empty for sponsors etc.

For me, PL clubs need to reduce ticket prices and simply make it more affordable to go. A club like us in the PL, make LR road, our new stadium, wherever, full every week, great atmosphere every week. £200 ST - just don't sign the SWP etc of this world to make up the difference. Bring back some standing. Stop this music before kick-off - let's get some singing before KO like we use to, build the atmosphere. School kids promotions, £1 for kids for selected games.Stop this nonsense PR since Fernandes took over. Have an actual ethos for how the club should be run, based on scouting lower leagues, having a youth system. Our target in 10 years is to produce x amount of players from our youth team. Make us known for bring through players on this basis. Don't build a 40k stadium that will be 1/2 empty most of the time - if we need a new one, with suitable commercial areas then fine, but let's not do a Bolton.

anyway, i'll be showing my kids Billy Elliot in the hope they prefer ballet and get to lead a life less frustrating. Sadly as I know live South of the river they will probably want to go watch Millwall with their school mates when they get older. Must continue brainwashing program.

Poll: Will we stay up?

Seriously falling out of love with football on 12:50 - Mar 22 with 1622 viewsHayesender

Started going in 82/83 and for years it would kill me to miss a game.

Today I'm not going as I simply can't be arsed.

Only done one away game this season which is the least I've done since my first away game at Stamford Bridge in 83.

Luckily my one away game this season has been our only win

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Login to get fewer ads

Seriously falling out of love with football on 13:43 - Mar 22 with 1594 viewsDeano19766

Seriously falling out of love with football on 10:52 - Mar 22 by ted_hendrix

Out of the last 13 games we've actually won only one game, that takes a lot of resilience to make supporters keep turning up.
It is hugely expensive nowadays as a supporter and what makes it worse is the fact that the players themselves now earn obscene salaries whilst us stupid bastards keep turning up spending our "hard earn t" to watch the minges make silly basic errors time and time again.
In my opinion that makes us the idiots, I'd dearly like to walk away from QPR and throw the towel in, when was the last time anybody said "that was one hell of a game"? I cant remember, I reckon those days are over, last night I watched snippets of the WHU/Sunderland game dear me it was bloody awful and with an admission price of probably £45 Its wrong.

In a couple of hours time I'm gonna start my car up and haul my sorry arse up the M4 for about the millionth time, I've got this notion in my head that if we win we'll be only one point from safety and then there be maybe a tad, just a tad of hope that we'll pull off the great escape, should we pull off the great escape what then? another season of fiffing and faffing around in the bottom 3 of this god awful league.

Just stop going Ted.

I started going in 86 when I was 9. In my teenage years I went to every home game and loads of away games every season and this continued until about 1998. I had a break of about 3 years for one reason or another (just going to a few home games a season), then from roughly 2001- 2005/06 I did pretty much every game home and away. At that point I would have absolutely hated missing a game. Then Tango and Cash turned up and I saw what was going on and simply stopped going to most games. It was tough at first, but after a little while I found I couldn't care less that I was missing the majority of games. Then we got promoted and I could see that things had got even worse (I cant bloody stand the Premiershite) so I stopped going to any games at all. I don't miss it one bit. Much prefer cricket now. Following the England Test side away in the winter by far beats going to watch Rangers in the Premiershite, and then watching and playing cricket in the summer here is great. You just gotta find something else to enjoy and you don't miss going to Rangers at all (apart from not seeing my old mates and not getting to see our fantastic old ground where I spent so much time in the past).

If football went back to the way it was in the 80's/90's I'd be back like a shot. Until then I have no interest in going and just keep up to date on here and tv/live streams etc
[Post edited 22 Mar 2015 13:48]
Seriously falling out of love with football on 13:48 - Mar 22 with 1583 viewsWeaverQPR

Started going to my local non league club, North Ferriby Utd in Conf North. Tenner to get in nice club house, decent pint happy days.
Off to wembley next sunday for the FA Trophy Final v Wrexham.

Just so fcked off with QPR,Fernandes and the whole circus that surrounds the club.

@WeavQPR

Seriously falling out of love with football on 13:54 - Mar 22 with 1578 viewsDeano19766

Seriously falling out of love with football on 13:48 - Mar 22 by WeaverQPR

Started going to my local non league club, North Ferriby Utd in Conf North. Tenner to get in nice club house, decent pint happy days.
Off to wembley next sunday for the FA Trophy Final v Wrexham.

Just so fcked off with QPR,Fernandes and the whole circus that surrounds the club.

It's interesting how many people feel the same way. It's only a matter of time before more people stop going. Having said that, if we are still in the Premiershite and tourists are filling the void then I don't think the club will care to be honest (particularly when the tv audience is the most important thing to clubs these days anyway)
Seriously falling out of love with football on 13:59 - Mar 22 with 1572 viewsWeaverQPR

Seriously falling out of love with football on 13:54 - Mar 22 by Deano19766

It's interesting how many people feel the same way. It's only a matter of time before more people stop going. Having said that, if we are still in the Premiershite and tourists are filling the void then I don't think the club will care to be honest (particularly when the tv audience is the most important thing to clubs these days anyway)

exactly as long as the ground is full TF is happy, you wait til we have 40k seats to fill with 12k man utd or liverpool fans in the ground!

@WeavQPR

Seriously falling out of love with football on 18:13 - Mar 22 with 1504 viewsted_hendrix

Seriously falling out of love with football on 10:52 - Mar 22 by ted_hendrix

"In a couple of hours time I'm gonna start my car up and haul my sorry arse up the M4 for about the millionth time, I've got this notion in my head that if we win we'll be only one point from safety and then there be maybe a tad, just a tad of hope that we'll pull off the great escape, should we pull off the great escape what then? another season of fiffing and faffing around in the bottom 3 of this god awful league.

Have a nice day etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"

Didn't go in the end; Sat in the West Berkshire sunshine this morning was enough for me to change my mind.
We have the bare minimum of Prem players and that's being kind, we painfully have no Manager to get us out of this mess we're in, we have an owner who quite clearly is out of his depth and tbh I swear to God that whilst sat at home this morning I couldn't honestly see us beating a pretty mediocre Everton side and them being on the back of a good hiding Thursday night in Russia.
Our current squad of players our lower half of the Championship material.
If there are three worse clubs than us in this league at the moment then point me in their direction and I'll call you a liar.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Seriously falling out of love with football on 18:42 - Mar 22 with 1469 viewsnightwish

Some very valid points made in this forum.I live in Hastings and saw my first QPR home in 1976 saw the QPR reserve team around 1971.This weekend I could have gone to QPR v Everton which for match ticket,train fare and programme would have set me back about £72.Instead yesterday I caught the train to Lancing and watched my nonleague team who I support Eastbourne United play.Train fare £10 entry £6 programme £1.50.Great to see 22 English players on the pitch trying their hardest playing for next to nothing in a county league match.I stood chatting to members and the chairman who run Eastbourne United and the whole match experience is so in touch with the supporters who watch the game.I have a great difficulty relating to the players who turn out for QPR now.I can remember years ago walking down Loftus Rd before a game chatting with Gareth Ainsworth before he was due to play and we were chatting about rock music and his band.Those days seemed to have gone
Seriously falling out of love with football on 19:13 - Mar 22 with 1432 viewswood_hoop

How sad, so many have this feeling, been going to games since the mid sixties, brought up in North London, Highbury & WHL my early memories of the fist class game, managed to see so many of the legend players at a cost of half a crown, (12p) finally got to LR in the early seventies, on & offgoing to games,even a season ticket holder at times for over 30 yeats , would not dream of buying one nowadays

Its all so fraudulent, from top to bottom, see a few years ago just the way things were going, stopped paying exorbitant prices for tickets and Sky subs, go to odd games now, usually free tickets,club in the blood, but not as before, heart & soul totally ripped away over the last few years, thankfully enogh good memories over the years that far outweigh any ever being taken away by Fernandes and the other shi*s that have no understanding of what they have done to the .beautiful game'
Seriously falling out of love with football on 06:52 - Mar 23 with 1256 viewsloftboy

Yesterday has virtually made my mind up, more incompetent linos, loyal bloke a few seats from me chucked out for giving his glasses to the Lino, me tuttted at again for letting my frustrations get the better of me.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Seriously falling out of love with football on 06:57 - Mar 23 with 1253 viewsparker64

It's rubbish and sad but the absorbed self pitying on some of these threads is cringeworthy. Samaritans 08457 90 90 90.
Seriously falling out of love with football on 13:47 - Mar 23 with 1165 viewsbatmanhoop

had we been in the top 10 doubt anyone would be moaning. That said, agree with most of the posters. It's a long way home for me nowadays, when you see the performances of some and the money they earn (SWP) it gets harder to motivate oneself. The game has changed for the worse no doubt about it, sad, but unless something changes re wages and players attitudes, the game will die a slow death
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024