Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gavin Bazunu 09:15 - Aug 21 with 1638 viewsSaintNick

Serious comment here, Bazunu gets a lot of bad press on various posts on this site, but lets look at the facts.

1. He was a decent prospect when signed in 2022, but still only 20 and not ready for the Premier League.

2. He was thrown in behind a defence that was an utter shambles and changed week in week out, he needed experience in front of him.

3. Last season during our 22 game unbeaten run, in the main he was pretty solid.

4. Shot stopping stats weren't good but the way we played meant that most goals conceded were either the occasional long range shot that flew in, goals when we got caught on the break or close range efforts that he had no chance with.

5. Of course I do accept he made the occasional blooper, but not really much more than most keepers.

6. It went wrong for him last season after Xmas when Russell Martin started to muck around with the defence, dropping key players and shuffling the pack.

7. Possibly the best thing for Bazunu was to get injured, it has taken him out of the firing line for a year, hopefully when he returns he will be refreshed and not still shellshocked from his first season's experience, if are still be in the Premier League, but with a solid experienced defence perhaps, he can come in and compete for a place on even terms.

8. Bazunu can play with his feet, if he had played at Newcastle we probably would have won, Newcastle only had one on target and that was caused by the misplaced pass by McCarthy.

9. These days shots on target are not so plentiful, it may sound strange but the main job of a keeper is not shot stopping. it is being able to be a sweeper keeper and play with his feet, if you keep the ball then you reduce the attempts on goal now.

10. Whatever our opinions on Bazunu good and bad, he has never been anything other than a model professional for the club, what has happened over the past two years is not all his fault, fair enough if people don't rate him but he doesn't deserve abuse, he deserves support and if he gets that he might just turn into a decent keeper.

11. It should be noted that most of our keepers in recent times who have gone on to do well, started their career badly at the club and got abuse from the fans.
Tim Flowers
Kelvin Davies
Artur Boruc.

If I added the list of those keepers that got stick at the start and never recovered it would be endless, even Peter Shilton got early stick in 1982, despite being the best keeper in the world at times.

There is a phrase used on a Facebook group which goes "Once A Saint Always A Saint" perhaps we should remember that when certain players are still here.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Gavin Bazunu on 10:17 - Aug 21 with 1538 viewsIfonly

"9. These days shots on target are not so plentiful, it may sound strange but the main job of a keeper is not shot stopping. it is being able to be a sweeper keeper and play with his feet, if you keep the ball then you reduce the attempts on goal now."

Not true. Shots on target are more plentiful than ever, as are goals. See here:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/4027257

Those statistics say that shot stopping is more important than ever.

The main thing I'd say in Bazunu's favour is that keepers improve with age. As stated, it was the club's mistake to play him in the PL with so little experience. He will improve. Will he ever be good enough? Time will tell, but I don't think he was really any better last year than the year before, so he's still not ready.
Gavin Bazunu on 10:24 - Aug 21 with 1491 viewsFlamingbankers

Astonishing, even his family wouldn't give this defence. Massive clickbait. The bloke has clearly shown that he simply isn't good enough full stop.
Gavin Bazunu on 10:44 - Aug 21 with 1416 viewsSaintNick

Gavin Bazunu on 10:24 - Aug 21 by Flamingbankers

Astonishing, even his family wouldn't give this defence. Massive clickbait. The bloke has clearly shown that he simply isn't good enough full stop.

The same was said about Tim Flowers in his early games for the club, as was said above Goalkeepers take time to mature, very few come into the first team at 21/22 as Bazunu did.

If Bazunu was not good enough, how did we go 22 games unbeaten in the league last season with the lowest goals against in the division during that period.

I made 10 reasonable points, not massive clickbait, I gave my opinion you choose just reply with sarcasm, I am sure his family would give this defence, to my knowledge his family are supportive of him

Now if I put up a story on the home page saying " Gavin Bazunu's Family Disown Him Due To Him Being S***" then that would probably be the biggest clickbait, but the frothing at the mouth would create a tsunami

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Gavin Bazunu on 10:48 - Aug 21 with 1399 viewsFlamingbankers

Hilarious, what are you on this morning Nick?
Gavin Bazunu on 11:14 - Aug 21 with 1325 viewsCity_boy

Blimey Nick, that is one hell of an endorsement. Sadly, most Saints fans can see he is just not good enough.
Gavin Bazunu on 11:19 - Aug 21 with 1302 viewsdirk_doone

Bazunu's saves to shots on target ratio was the worst in the history of the Premier League: even worse than McCarthy's, and those goalkeepers were the main reason we got relegated the last time. Virtually every shot on target was a goal. Surely, we're not going to repeat the same mistake again?
[Post edited 21 Aug 12:56]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Gavin Bazunu on 11:19 - Aug 21 with 1296 views1teeminants

Gavin Bazunu on 11:14 - Aug 21 by City_boy

Blimey Nick, that is one hell of an endorsement. Sadly, most Saints fans can see he is just not good enough.

Maybe he will come good in time who knows but tbh I’ve never seen a keeper who misses so many basic shots that just go to either side of him . His strengths are playing with his feet and reaction saves but definitely not from distance.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Gavin Bazunu on 11:38 - Aug 21 with 1219 viewssaints__fan__73

Gavin Bazunu on 11:19 - Aug 21 by dirk_doone

Bazunu's saves to shots on target ratio was the worst in the history of the Premier League: even worse than McCarthy's, and those goalkeepers were the main reason we got relegated the last time. Virtually every shot on target was a goal. Surely, we're not going to repeat the same mistake again?
[Post edited 21 Aug 12:56]

My fav game of Bazunu's was when he conceded 3 goals to 2 shots on target. (the other being a deflected off target OG).

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Login to get fewer ads

Gavin Bazunu on 11:47 - Aug 21 with 1210 viewsfelly1

Clubs fault for signing a L1 kid and putting straight into a Prem side.. Absolutely Mental.

Fans back Baz... His name is sung inside the stadium and he acknowledges this support.
It's only on forums where he rightly gets criticised for his shot saving deficiencies.

Looks too small for me... Sorry it's a pass for me.
Gavin Bazunu on 11:51 - Aug 21 with 1206 viewsPatfromPoole

I genuinely think he may have an eyesight issue which affects his ability to save shots from distance.

There are not many successful teams around who have goalkeepers who are so young.

It is such a key position, which requires so much more mental strength and concentration than pretty much any other position on the pitch.

I am trying to be constructive here, but I am in truth hoping that we make a signing in the next few days which means Bazunu isn't just going to walk back in the team when he returns to fitness.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

Gavin Bazunu on 12:02 - Aug 21 with 1188 viewsdirk_doone

Gavin Bazunu on 11:38 - Aug 21 by saints__fan__73

My fav game of Bazunu's was when he conceded 3 goals to 2 shots on target. (the other being a deflected off target OG).

As for the chances of him improving, our goalkeeping coaches have proved consistently over the years that they make our goalkeepers worse, not better.
[Post edited 21 Aug 12:51]

Gavin Bazunu on 12:03 - Aug 21 with 1186 views1885_SFC

What's the point of the club buying all these good/promising midfielders, defensive additions and Diaz in order to give us a decent chance of staying up this season when arguably the most important position - a good solid capable goalkeeper - gets overlooked & ignored?

It's a case of undoing all your good work, surely?

Old School is Cool

Gavin Bazunu on 12:16 - Aug 21 with 1161 viewsChesham_Saint

Gavin Bazunu on 11:51 - Aug 21 by PatfromPoole

I genuinely think he may have an eyesight issue which affects his ability to save shots from distance.

There are not many successful teams around who have goalkeepers who are so young.

It is such a key position, which requires so much more mental strength and concentration than pretty much any other position on the pitch.

I am trying to be constructive here, but I am in truth hoping that we make a signing in the next few days which means Bazunu isn't just going to walk back in the team when he returns to fitness.

He may indeed have an eyesight issue Pat, but I'd add a lack of sense of smell as well.

We all seem to have forgotten that he turned out for the Fishy Few not that long ago and that, frankly, would be enough to impair anyone's senses.

Seriously though, he may well have the making of a good keeper, so lets see once he's recovered, meanwhile the McCarthy problem remains existential..

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Gavin Bazunu on 12:18 - Aug 21 with 1157 viewsdirk_doone

Gavin Bazunu on 12:16 - Aug 21 by Chesham_Saint

He may indeed have an eyesight issue Pat, but I'd add a lack of sense of smell as well.

We all seem to have forgotten that he turned out for the Fishy Few not that long ago and that, frankly, would be enough to impair anyone's senses.

Seriously though, he may well have the making of a good keeper, so lets see once he's recovered, meanwhile the McCarthy problem remains existential..

Indeed he did. I think this is why we signed him, because he played so much like McCarthy:

[Post edited 21 Aug 12:20]

Gavin Bazunu on 12:45 - Aug 21 with 1062 viewsblubberboy

No matter. We're getting the 17th best keeper in the world apparently. Better than Ramsdale. :-)

https://everybodysoccer.com/even-the-goalkeepers-like-to/2020/2/18/the-worlds-be
Gavin Bazunu on 12:53 - Aug 21 with 1027 viewsdirk_doone

Gavin Bazunu on 12:45 - Aug 21 by blubberboy

No matter. We're getting the 17th best keeper in the world apparently. Better than Ramsdale. :-)

https://everybodysoccer.com/even-the-goalkeepers-like-to/2020/2/18/the-worlds-be

It sounds like he's a proper first choice goalkeeper. Very good news!

Gavin Bazunu on 13:22 - Aug 21 with 977 viewssledger

hes just a poor keeper for the level saints play at,pretty much anything on target was a goal,also just wondered if the achilles injury he now has was troubling him for some time,either way saints need to improve the keeper quality.
Gavin Bazunu on 14:43 - Aug 21 with 860 viewsUTS1885

Its hard to say at his young age if hes goes to be any good for PL, at the moment hes not. That said he or indeed anybody between the sticks will struggle with poor defending infront.
Gavin Bazunu on 15:05 - Aug 21 with 825 viewssaint22

NONE of our keepers are good enough
Baz isn't awful and in the Championship had good and bad games
The fact is to be a good team you NEED a good keeper period.

Look at every other team in the PL, no one has a keeper as bad as us

We should have got Schmeicel in Dubravka, Johnstone they would all be an upgrade

Bad may come good in a few years but we can't afford to have a keeper learning on the job
[Post edited 21 Aug 15:05]
Gavin Bazunu on 15:53 - Aug 21 with 744 viewssaintmark1976

I’ve never abused him or any other Saints player during a match but honestly Nick he’s Championship quality at best.

Who knows, if things don’t work out for us this season, he’ll recover from injury and be back between the sticks at the start of next.

Poll: Who is responsible for our poor start to the season?

Gavin Bazunu on 16:40 - Aug 21 with 678 viewsDorsetIan

"...it may sound strange but the main job of a keeper is not shot stopping..."

I love this.

Bit like all those great strikers we've had who can't score.

Or that the main job of VAR is to make not correct mistakes.

Now I know.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024