Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wigan 19:03 - Apr 6 with 17244 viewsNR_Dale

Don't want to take the shine off today but, With Mackay gone hilly has to be in the running....
Wigan on 14:59 - Apr 7 with 3718 viewsD_Alien

Wigan on 14:44 - Apr 7 by WhiteyBFC

That's the most hilarious thing I've read today.

Wigan will be certain favourites for promotion next season. They've had 8 years in the top flight. They've won a major trophy, they have £32,000,000 to come in parachute payments. 20 years ago, they were similar to Rochdale, probably smaller? But since then, they've probably done enough to now be considered a more successful club than us. More years in the top flight, same number of major trophies, played in Europe, average similar crowds (for now).

You're going to usurp them?

If you seriously think that Keith would turn them (or most clubs) down to stay at Dale, you're kidding yourself.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wigan slump back into their usual historical status, like Oldham did, Luton too. But they'd still be a far better/bigger/more lucrative proposition than Rochdale. I mean no offence with that, but you're overachieving immensely, it's staggering what Keith's doing with you again. Yet you struggle to get 2,500 fans in to watch you in this glory era. No fanbase, no future (not at the levels above). Fingers crossed that upon a potential promotion this season you stumble upon another 4,000 or so supporters, and even then you'd have no chance in the second tier. Ask Keith. It's all about the money up there. He told us after every consecutive defeat.

Glad you've retained your sense of humour Whitey "That's the most hilarious thing I've read today." Because I'd be feeling pretty gutted after your recent run of victories to be still struggling in our wake.

[Post edited 7 Apr 2015 15:07]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Wigan on 15:10 - Apr 7 with 3679 viewsfitzochris

Wigan on 14:44 - Apr 7 by WhiteyBFC

That's the most hilarious thing I've read today.

Wigan will be certain favourites for promotion next season. They've had 8 years in the top flight. They've won a major trophy, they have £32,000,000 to come in parachute payments. 20 years ago, they were similar to Rochdale, probably smaller? But since then, they've probably done enough to now be considered a more successful club than us. More years in the top flight, same number of major trophies, played in Europe, average similar crowds (for now).

You're going to usurp them?

If you seriously think that Keith would turn them (or most clubs) down to stay at Dale, you're kidding yourself.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wigan slump back into their usual historical status, like Oldham did, Luton too. But they'd still be a far better/bigger/more lucrative proposition than Rochdale. I mean no offence with that, but you're overachieving immensely, it's staggering what Keith's doing with you again. Yet you struggle to get 2,500 fans in to watch you in this glory era. No fanbase, no future (not at the levels above). Fingers crossed that upon a potential promotion this season you stumble upon another 4,000 or so supporters, and even then you'd have no chance in the second tier. Ask Keith. It's all about the money up there. He told us after every consecutive defeat.

While it is true Dave Whelan has effectively built himself a castle with Wigan, he has furnished it with IKEA.

They will pay the price this season.

It all depends on how the club wants to kick on. They will have money to spend. Tons of it. But as has been seen in recent years, that is no guarantee of getting out of this division.

Kenny Jackett took the right approach at Wolves. Booted out the big earners and used youth with a smattering of experience around about.

His success was faster than expected.

If Wigan are prepared to do that, then, yes, Keith Hill is the man for the job.

As I say, though, I hope they don't and they instead become a floundering Southampton/Leeds/Sheffield United of League One.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Wigan on 17:58 - Apr 7 with 3507 viewsdale18

Gary Caldwell appointed new Wigan manager

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32211094
Wigan on 18:11 - Apr 7 with 3485 viewsmacro

Norwich and Southampton bounced straight back up. They were the lucky ones, there's a plethora of clubs who've stuck. Can't see either Wigan or Blackpool doing it
Wigan on 18:37 - Apr 7 with 3432 viewsfitzochris

Wigan on 18:11 - Apr 7 by macro

Norwich and Southampton bounced straight back up. They were the lucky ones, there's a plethora of clubs who've stuck. Can't see either Wigan or Blackpool doing it

Southampton didn't bounce straight back. It took them two seasons to get it right.

Wigan on 19:11 - Apr 7 with 3366 viewsDomDale

A wigan fan I've got to know reckons the wage bill will be slashed for next season in anticipation of smaller gates and revenue. I for one can't see them challenging next season but they certainly have the resources to get out of L1 - moreso than us or barnsley.
I've always had a mild dislike for wigan. Maybe it's jealousy. From what I can gather they were bank rolled massively from a piss poor league 2 side like Dale up to the premier league. I didn't like the way they became the nations darlings during the FA cup win as if they'd scrimped up to premier league existence on YTS players vs City's riches. That wasn't the case. They did and can still outspend many at our level and above.

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

Wigan on 19:34 - Apr 7 with 3318 viewsfitzochris

Wigan on 19:11 - Apr 7 by DomDale

A wigan fan I've got to know reckons the wage bill will be slashed for next season in anticipation of smaller gates and revenue. I for one can't see them challenging next season but they certainly have the resources to get out of L1 - moreso than us or barnsley.
I've always had a mild dislike for wigan. Maybe it's jealousy. From what I can gather they were bank rolled massively from a piss poor league 2 side like Dale up to the premier league. I didn't like the way they became the nations darlings during the FA cup win as if they'd scrimped up to premier league existence on YTS players vs City's riches. That wasn't the case. They did and can still outspend many at our level and above.

I remember trips to Springfield Park (a 4-0 loss particularly) and that was before Whelan. When he came in a year or so later, Wigan started signing Spanairds like Roberto Martinez!

I think I was a bit jealous then, too.

This was even before they became the monster they are now.

Wigan on 20:18 - Apr 7 with 3265 viewsTVOS1907

Wigan on 18:11 - Apr 7 by macro

But the likes of Norwich, Southampton, Leeds and Leicester were always likely to return to the Championship at some point due to the size of the clubs.

For a better comparison, look at Bradford and Swindon, to name just two.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

Wigan on 20:48 - Apr 7 with 3218 viewsmacro

Wigan on 20:18 - Apr 7 by TVOS1907

But the likes of Norwich, Southampton, Leeds and Leicester were always likely to return to the Championship at some point due to the size of the clubs.

For a better comparison, look at Bradford and Swindon, to name just two.

I was coming more from the fact that they went down with parachute payments still or just having lost them rather than the club size. If w or b want to bounce back they need to do it quickly or become a Swindon/Bradford or dare I say Barnsley and drift around l1 for a while.
Wigan on 16:56 - Apr 8 with 3058 viewsSalwaDale

As an adopted Wiganer I'll chuck in my thoughts.

Wigan were bankrolled by Whelan but their infrastructure is actually very good. Their 'natural level' is way above where they started.
Don't quite believe their attendance figures, they give away an incredible amount of freebies.
I believe Whelan isn't in charge any more but does give his grandson advice.
Rosler was the right man for the club. Coyle and Mackay weren't. They just panicked and sacked Rosler. They were full of overpaid primadonnas not prepared to work in the Championship. Mackay got rid of plenty but just didn't seem to be the right choice.
Caldwell very much the cheap option but may posibly have the character to do well. Putting him in now will give him that initial chance.
I do think Hill would be a very good choice for them but a better one for us. It will be a long road back for Wigan.

TBBT

Wigan on 17:04 - Apr 8 with 3033 viewssweetcorn

Wigan on 18:37 - Apr 7 by fitzochris

Southampton didn't bounce straight back. It took them two seasons to get it right.

10 point deduction didn't help them, tbf.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Wigan on 18:39 - Apr 8 with 2946 viewsfitzochris

Wigan on 17:04 - Apr 8 by sweetcorn

10 point deduction didn't help them, tbf.

No, it didnt. But that doesn't change the fact that they didn't bounce straight back.

Wigan on 00:01 - Apr 9 with 2779 viewsWhiteyBFC

Wigan on 14:49 - Apr 7 by TVOS1907

Wigan's usual historical status is non-league football.

You're becoming less friendly and more annoyingly argumentative by the day, pal.

I remember Wigan being one of the clubs who'd sign all our ageing rejects. Like Rochdale.
Wigan on 09:15 - Apr 9 with 2679 viewsCedar_Room

Wigan on 00:01 - Apr 9 by WhiteyBFC

You're becoming less friendly and more annoyingly argumentative by the day, pal.

I remember Wigan being one of the clubs who'd sign all our ageing rejects. Like Rochdale.

Think you need to take some of your own advice about being less friendly and more argumentative. TVOS is entirely right about Wigan as they only joined the league in 1978. No-ones forcing you to come on here and make sly digs at our club. I'll assume of course you have no bitterness at all about being so far behind this poxy little club of ours in the table. Your presence here had been more than tolerated but patience can wear thin.
Wigan on 09:32 - Apr 9 with 2649 viewsR17ALE

Rochdale used to sign all Barnsley's ageing rejects.

Have I read that right?

I can only recall us signing three players from Barnsley.

1. Sean McClare - young and shit.
2. Gary Jones - 20 something and still immense.
3. Matty Done - young and worth hundreds of thousands of pounds to us.

I'm sure there are loads I've missed, TVOS will have the stats to hand. Perhaps Neil Redfearn might be the player who makes you think so illogically Whitey?

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Wigan on 09:39 - Apr 9 with 2576 viewsColDale

the ageing rejects of Dawson and TK haven't done too bad so far. Reckon you might have done a bit better this season had you kept them.
Wigan on 09:39 - Apr 9 with 2574 viewsfitzochris

Wigan on 09:32 - Apr 9 by R17ALE

Have I read that right?

I'm sure there are loads I've missed, TVOS will have the stats to hand. Perhaps Neil Redfearn might be the player who makes you think so illogically Whitey?

And two of those played for Dale first.

Wigan on 10:16 - Apr 9 with 2512 viewsTVOS1907

People aren't always going to agree with you, Whitey.

Wigan have been in the Football League/Premier League for 37 years.

Dale joined the Football League 57 years earlier than Wigan and Barnsley 23 years before that.

Ergo, Wigan's historical status is non-league, just like Dale's is 'Division Four' and Barnsley's is 'Division Two'.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2015 10:18]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Wigan on 00:31 - Apr 10 with 2334 viewsWhiteyBFC

Wigan on 09:15 - Apr 9 by Cedar_Room

Think you need to take some of your own advice about being less friendly and more argumentative. TVOS is entirely right about Wigan as they only joined the league in 1978. No-ones forcing you to come on here and make sly digs at our club. I'll assume of course you have no bitterness at all about being so far behind this poxy little club of ours in the table. Your presence here had been more than tolerated but patience can wear thin.

"Your presence here had been more than tolerated but patience can wear thin..."

Don't worry yourself, this Barnsley lad has realised he's not wanted around these parts anymore. No problem. After tonight, I'll not darken your door again.

Quick message to the lads I've met from Dale (you know who you are) - you lads were quality with me and I appreciate your kindness and welcoming nature. Be good to see you on May 3 if possible. You've got my number, keep in touch.

To the rest of you, I'll leave whilst wishing you all the best in your personal lives and all the best in your Dale supporting weekends etc. Be nice to people. It's a way of life that comes so easy. But always respect the opinions of others, no matter how contrary etc.

Up the Dale.

Whitey.
Wigan on 00:34 - Apr 10 with 2332 viewsWhiteyBFC

Have I read that right?

Just seen these other posts. I'm a twwat for not reading the whole thread.

FTR, there's been loads, mate, and not including Daws and TK.

I'm not into naming them now, because I've got the hint and I'm signing off. I'll leave you's to talk to the Bury/Oldham lads like shit. I've had my fill.
Wigan on 00:39 - Apr 10 with 2330 viewsWhiteyBFC

Wigan on 09:39 - Apr 9 by ColDale

the ageing rejects of Dawson and TK haven't done too bad so far. Reckon you might have done a bit better this season had you kept them.

At the start of the season I was disappointed that Dawson didn't stick around. And yes, until we signed Scowen he'd have been ideal, Daws. For this level. You won't have read me suggest otherwise.

TK is tragically bad at left back and no, I wouldn't have wanted to keep him and I'm glad we terminated his contract. Our 17 year old left back is already a much better footballer.

However, your response is somewhat pointless as when referring to our rejects going to Dale/Wigan, I wasn't describing recent years so wasn't referring to TK or Daws.
Wigan on 00:52 - Apr 10 with 2326 viewsWhiteyBFC

Wigan on 10:16 - Apr 9 by TVOS1907

People aren't always going to agree with you, Whitey.

Wigan have been in the Football League/Premier League for 37 years.

Dale joined the Football League 57 years earlier than Wigan and Barnsley 23 years before that.

Ergo, Wigan's historical status is non-league, just like Dale's is 'Division Four' and Barnsley's is 'Division Two'.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2015 10:18]

I'm fully aware of that. But historically, be it non league or Premier League, they've achieved far more than Rochdale have and will be seen as a better/bigger club. If that stings, then that's tough shit. It stings me, knowing a club we used to send our rejects to eventually bought their way through the divisions and spent nearly a decade in the top flight and won an FA Cup. Just as it stings seeing Hull City thriving in recent years, Swansea City even.

But that's football. Time's change. And as much as these clubs to me were always fourth tier strugglers etc, they've a decent fanbase similar to ours and it's really stinging out of jealousy, as I'd have loved us to be able to sustain our Premier League experiment. Unfortunately, for various reasons, we've been struggling to recover from our one year up there ever since.

But hey ho. I've said enough now. Four years a member of this forum. I'll stick around to read stuff here and there, but I get the impression I'm no longer wanted in terms of contributing and so I'll happily step back from posting.

Good luck for the rest of the season.
Wigan on 01:02 - Apr 10 with 2312 viewsJimmyRustler

Wigan on 00:52 - Apr 10 by WhiteyBFC

I'm fully aware of that. But historically, be it non league or Premier League, they've achieved far more than Rochdale have and will be seen as a better/bigger club. If that stings, then that's tough shit. It stings me, knowing a club we used to send our rejects to eventually bought their way through the divisions and spent nearly a decade in the top flight and won an FA Cup. Just as it stings seeing Hull City thriving in recent years, Swansea City even.

But that's football. Time's change. And as much as these clubs to me were always fourth tier strugglers etc, they've a decent fanbase similar to ours and it's really stinging out of jealousy, as I'd have loved us to be able to sustain our Premier League experiment. Unfortunately, for various reasons, we've been struggling to recover from our one year up there ever since.

But hey ho. I've said enough now. Four years a member of this forum. I'll stick around to read stuff here and there, but I get the impression I'm no longer wanted in terms of contributing and so I'll happily step back from posting.

You do play the victim card rather well well Whitey.

I do however think that you excel yourself when it comes to the bitter bellend card so I can fully understand why people are getting rattled at your sly and underhand comments.

It seems to me that now the honeymoon period is over for midget boy, you're rather frustrated and feel the need to come on here and try and let off some steam.

If that's the case then you're always gonna have a bad time.
Wigan on 03:32 - Apr 10 with 2272 viewsdalefan

Wigan on 00:52 - Apr 10 by WhiteyBFC

Well I for one have always enjoyed reading your posts. I have found them entertaining and balanced. I might not have always agreed with them but that's normal.
Wigan on 04:13 - Apr 10 with 2266 viewsdownunder

Have I read that right?

Not 100% that I have it right but I will add one to the list.

Leo Bertos...Young, unbeaten in the World Cup, international.

Stick around Whitey. You can't please all the people all the time. Prefer your words to those of the bury bores.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024