Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General Election Thread 17:46 - May 22 with 212217 viewsloftboy

This will be the first election that I have no idea who to vote for, will never vote Tory again after the lies during covid where my dad lost his life, don’t trust starmer, would never vote for a bunch of racists like reform , anyone give me a clue?

This post has been edited by an administrator

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

General Election Thread on 17:00 - Jun 3 with 2041 viewsToast_R

A lot of opinions saying that but he's also declared Labour as the next government.
Might as well not bother come July 4th!
[Post edited 3 Jun 17:02]
General Election Thread on 17:44 - Jun 3 with 1996 viewsessextaxiboy

General Election Thread on 16:59 - Jun 3 by Hayesender

I see Farage is now standing, after saying he wasn't standing. I don't think they'll get any seats, but it could mean even less seats for the torys. They could end up getting completely wiped out

The red wall fell on the Brexit issue . I think Labour will lose a few votes as well .
General Election Thread on 18:23 - Jun 3 with 1912 viewscolinallcars

General Election Thread on 16:59 - Jun 3 by Hayesender

I see Farage is now standing, after saying he wasn't standing. I don't think they'll get any seats, but it could mean even less seats for the torys. They could end up getting completely wiped out

There was a young man named Farage
Who spent quite some time in his garage
He always hated the French
They made his buttocks clench
But called the Beach Boys “ Les Garcons Du Plage.”
General Election Thread on 19:18 - Jun 3 with 1837 viewsderbyhoop

General Election Thread on 17:44 - Jun 3 by essextaxiboy

The red wall fell on the Brexit issue . I think Labour will lose a few votes as well .

I see some of the predictions re number of seats, but I don't believe that Labour will get a landslide. Almost inevitably, the incumbents pick up votes during the campaign, although Tories seem to be trying to p1ss off, all but the elderly.
I suspect Lab will end up with around 400 seats, Tories 150, LD 20+. I hope Ref UK get zero.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

General Election Thread on 20:37 - Jun 3 with 1752 viewsBucksRanger

General Election Thread on 19:18 - Jun 3 by derbyhoop

I see some of the predictions re number of seats, but I don't believe that Labour will get a landslide. Almost inevitably, the incumbents pick up votes during the campaign, although Tories seem to be trying to p1ss off, all but the elderly.
I suspect Lab will end up with around 400 seats, Tories 150, LD 20+. I hope Ref UK get zero.

They don't have to piss of the elderly, they did that years ago.
General Election Thread on 21:10 - Jun 3 with 1708 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Been told that some private polling scared Labour in some of the high muslim demographic seats (eg Rochdale, Ilford North) hence the change of rhetoric from 'Israel has the right to withdraw water and food' to 'we need a ceasefire'. The ICC ruling might also have helped this,

If the Gaza issue is still live on polling day you'll find both low turnout and non Labour voting in around 20 odd English seats. It won't cost Labour the election but it might see some high profile losses

Wes Streeting will be lucky to hold his seat as he's facing a young, organised, and well funded young Palestinian independent in a seat that was nearly marginal anyway.

Rayner will sneak through, but reduced majority I reckon.

Also the Greens are filling up with Watermelons (green on the outside, red on the inside) so their votes will mostly come from Labour's share.

They (the Greens) are favourites for one of the Bristol seats, and will win in the Isle of Wight if they have a REALLY good night on July 4th.

It's not going to be all Labour's way is is my point.
General Election Thread on 21:25 - Jun 3 with 1668 viewsRangersw12

General Election Thread on 21:10 - Jun 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

Been told that some private polling scared Labour in some of the high muslim demographic seats (eg Rochdale, Ilford North) hence the change of rhetoric from 'Israel has the right to withdraw water and food' to 'we need a ceasefire'. The ICC ruling might also have helped this,

If the Gaza issue is still live on polling day you'll find both low turnout and non Labour voting in around 20 odd English seats. It won't cost Labour the election but it might see some high profile losses

Wes Streeting will be lucky to hold his seat as he's facing a young, organised, and well funded young Palestinian independent in a seat that was nearly marginal anyway.

Rayner will sneak through, but reduced majority I reckon.

Also the Greens are filling up with Watermelons (green on the outside, red on the inside) so their votes will mostly come from Labour's share.

They (the Greens) are favourites for one of the Bristol seats, and will win in the Isle of Wight if they have a REALLY good night on July 4th.

It's not going to be all Labour's way is is my point.

The obsession with Gaza is baffling and anyone who decides their vote on it should have their head examined
General Election Thread on 22:08 - Jun 3 with 1579 viewsessextaxiboy

I will be interesting to see who gets the most votes Farages party or Galloways .
[Post edited 3 Jun 23:08]
Login to get fewer ads

General Election Thread on 23:11 - Jun 3 with 1522 viewsRangersw12

Jesus 🤣🤣🤣🤣
General Election Thread on 05:55 - Jun 4 with 1440 viewsPhildo

Always nervous about these threads.

Just observing that Blair won by moving labour to the centre . Cameron copied that and was successful and Starmer looks to be doing the same.centrist mums and dads may be a joke but there are a lot of them and they vote.

As for Farage - he drove the Tory party mad at a time when its old deferential demographic of the Church of England at prayer was coming to an end. Endlessly tacking right to appease older voters was a terrible idea but Brexit really spooked them. They assembled a broad but very shallow coalition of voters in 2019 on a single issue which turned to sh;t in their hands and lost a lot of their own balance in the process. Client journalists like Kuensburg and Shipman lapped it up and the decline in news media really hollowed out the fourth estate.

I am at a point of hoping the liberals come second so we have a chance of a functioning opposition. The economy is so fkd that any government are bound to be a disappointment so I am worried as to what comes in 5 years. A little like what comes after Macron in France after he destroyed their previous mainstream.
General Election Thread on 09:07 - Jun 4 with 2807 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I deliberately ignored it at the time, but someone further up the thread labelled people critical of Starmer ‘cranks’.

You’ll have to include Blair supporting, Cambridge PPE attending, and classmate of David Cameron journalist Michael Crick.

General Election Thread on 09:55 - Jun 4 with 2739 viewscolinallcars

Labour will ban the import of foie gras. That'll cause a stir in Shepherds Bush which of course is now in the new constituency of Hammersmith & Chiswick.
[Post edited 4 Jun 10:00]
General Election Thread on 10:05 - Jun 4 with 2687 viewsdmm

General Election Thread on 09:55 - Jun 4 by colinallcars

Labour will ban the import of foie gras. That'll cause a stir in Shepherds Bush which of course is now in the new constituency of Hammersmith & Chiswick.
[Post edited 4 Jun 10:00]

Shay Boo, puleeeeease!
General Election Thread on 11:36 - Jun 4 with 2585 viewsSonofpugwash

It'll be Starmergeddon I tel 'ee.
And I am unanimous in this.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

General Election Thread on 12:36 - Jun 4 with 2507 viewsslmrstid

I think it'll be a lot tighter than all the polls are saying right now.

As an outsider looking in, it does seem to me that everytime Labour get a sniff of being in power they immediately get spooked about it and start doing every self sabotage thing of turning on each other they can possibly think of to bugger themselves up.

It does feel to me sometimes that the left want to be the Dean Smith Justice League winners of being righteous if only they were in power, whilst secretly being quite glad they aren't, whilst the Tories are the annoying Preston North End types who'll do what it takes to win by any means necessary, including every sh*thousing trick they can possibly think of that winds everyone up, but gets results time after time.

Probably a pretty bad analogy as football/politics goes but hopefully gets my point across!
General Election Thread on 12:52 - Jun 4 with 2462 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

General Election Thread on 12:36 - Jun 4 by slmrstid

As an outsider looking in, it does seem to me that everytime Labour get a sniff of being in power they immediately get spooked about it and start doing every self sabotage thing of turning on each other they can possibly think of to bugger themselves up.

It does feel to me sometimes that the left want to be the Dean Smith Justice League winners of being righteous if only they were in power, whilst secretly being quite glad they aren't, whilst the Tories are the annoying Preston North End types who'll do what it takes to win by any means necessary, including every sh*thousing trick they can possibly think of that winds everyone up, but gets results time after time.

Probably a pretty bad analogy as football/politics goes but hopefully gets my point across!

‘The Left’ is a subjective term defined by our own Overton window, as is ‘the Right’.

It’s not really a useful description of a section of the electorate in the same way ‘car owner’, or ‘under 18’ is.
General Election Thread on 13:49 - Jun 4 with 2344 viewsBucksRanger

Objectively, the left know what an Overton window is, the right have to look it up.
General Election Thread on 18:19 - Jun 4 with 2148 viewscolinallcars

I hope if someone throws a drink over me, it's a pint of bitter.
General Election Thread on 19:33 - Jun 4 with 2037 viewsFDC

General Election Thread on 12:36 - Jun 4 by slmrstid

The power v righteousness dichotomy is a useful framing for the labour right who like to present themselves as pragmatic and grown up, as opposed the left who are niave and idealistic.

This is nonsense. The reality is that the labour right are not pragmatic but desire power for it's own sake (and for the access it provides their future careers on company boards), but as we're about to find out, getting into government with neither a policy platform or a mandate to actually do anything, having not presented a vision for anything (as a consequence of not actually having a vision for anything) means that you have very little room for maneuver and are not able to fix anything.

I suspect we're about to witness something quite unusual: an enormous landslide followed by an enormously unpopular term in office. Which probably says a lot about the state of British politics.
General Election Thread on 19:48 - Jun 4 with 2017 viewsGus_iom

General Election Thread on 19:33 - Jun 4 by FDC

The power v righteousness dichotomy is a useful framing for the labour right who like to present themselves as pragmatic and grown up, as opposed the left who are niave and idealistic.

This is nonsense. The reality is that the labour right are not pragmatic but desire power for it's own sake (and for the access it provides their future careers on company boards), but as we're about to find out, getting into government with neither a policy platform or a mandate to actually do anything, having not presented a vision for anything (as a consequence of not actually having a vision for anything) means that you have very little room for maneuver and are not able to fix anything.

I suspect we're about to witness something quite unusual: an enormous landslide followed by an enormously unpopular term in office. Which probably says a lot about the state of British politics.

It may well be a landslide in terms of the number of seats they win, but probably not in terms of the percentage of the electorate who vote for them. So they will have a mandate to govern and won't, at the same time. Its not going to be easy.
General Election Thread on 20:02 - Jun 4 with 1987 viewsdmm

I'll be interested in the turn out in this election. It's very much been on the low side since the turn of the century and I wouldn't be surprised if this one is too.

There's an increasing number of people who have lost all faith in the political process and they're quite likely not to vote. And who can blame them? That and the inevitability of a Labour landslide is certain to have an effect.
General Election Thread on 20:07 - Jun 4 with 1969 viewswestlondonisRs1882

I have read most of the comments and have been pleasantly surprised by the good nature of the responses. I did expect it to be a $&it show.
We are all entitled to our own analysis and conclusions and our single vote won’t make a great deal of difference.
One observation I have made is that the old Left V Right debate had been superseded by the Establishment v Anti Establishment. So you appear to see evidence of many people being disillusioned and seemingly having no one to vote for.
I think election night may be quite interesting.
General Election Thread on 20:29 - Jun 4 with 1907 viewsderbyhoop

General Election Thread on 19:48 - Jun 4 by Gus_iom

It may well be a landslide in terms of the number of seats they win, but probably not in terms of the percentage of the electorate who vote for them. So they will have a mandate to govern and won't, at the same time. Its not going to be easy.

Based on all the polling over the last 2 years, Labour's share of the vote looks set to be 40-47%, which would be huge. Especially compared to Tories running at 18-25%.
There is so much work to do for any new Govt and v little money to do it with. Labour's caution is understandable. Perhaps the Leader debates may show us a vision for the future but you wouldn't want to bet on it.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

General Election Thread on 21:15 - Jun 4 with 1846 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

General Election Thread on 20:29 - Jun 4 by derbyhoop

Based on all the polling over the last 2 years, Labour's share of the vote looks set to be 40-47%, which would be huge. Especially compared to Tories running at 18-25%.
There is so much work to do for any new Govt and v little money to do it with. Labour's caution is understandable. Perhaps the Leader debates may show us a vision for the future but you wouldn't want to bet on it.

47% is still a coalition in every other European country except us and Belarus.

Getting 47% of the vote but 80% of the seats isn’t representative.
General Election Thread on 22:40 - Jun 4 with 1736 viewscolinallcars

Just struggled through the TV debate. I know it's about policies rather than personalities, but Starmer is wooden.
Say what you like about Blair but he had charisma and Brown had gravitas.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024