Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Headers....... 20:09 - May 17 with 5611 viewsThaiHoop

So within 3 years all football up to U12 level will see a "deliberate header" punished with a free kick.... starting next season with the youngest age 😲

How long till that becomes a rule in football in general? 🤔
Headers....... on 21:27 - May 27 with 685 viewsblacky2013

It is easy for people on here to say that they wouldn't trade heading a ball for a few more years etc but I am looking after my father who has dementia and it is getting worse. It is absolutely heartbreaking to see someone you love decline to the point where they cannot find their way around the house and the look of fright on their face when they have a strong episode of forgetfulness. Not to mention that the people who love you will end up looking after you and believe me it is hard work both physically and mentally.
Headers....... on 23:49 - May 27 with 605 viewsstainrods_elbow

Headers....... on 12:41 - May 27 by RangersDave

Be banning boxing next, followed by rugby!

Good point, it's absolutely ridiculous! Heading footballs is a no-no, but smashing people's heads for a living with ludicrous-looking gloves till they fall over is fine. Go figure!

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Headers....... on 09:15 - May 28 with 545 viewsdaveB

Headers....... on 23:49 - May 27 by stainrods_elbow

Good point, it's absolutely ridiculous! Heading footballs is a no-no, but smashing people's heads for a living with ludicrous-looking gloves till they fall over is fine. Go figure!

in boxing they wear headguards in training to protect themselves, a similar thing in football isn't the maddest idea
Headers....... on 11:46 - May 28 with 490 viewsEsox_Lucius

After having close contact with Marilyn throughout Stan's decline and descriptions of just what a hateful disease did to a legendary hero of ours I think I am going to come down on the side of heading the ball being phased out of football. I won't reveal details of what I was told but months before the end I was hoping he would die soon to spare both him his pain and his family the anguish they were suffering.
In mitigation; we have seen many changes in the game since I first starting watching and playing, mainly to do with protecting the players from serious injury and, as players and fans, we have adapted to these changes without too much complaint.
A factor in my decision was also the fact that many of us, and the professional players, have all learned to play 5-A-Side football and accepted that heading the ball was not allowed. No problem with allowing the ball above head height on a full size pitch as that isn't detrimental to health. Acceptance could take decades as there will be many of the old farts like me will bemoaning the good old days when football was a mans game etc. but I long ago stopped watching boxing and other sports with head impact involved as I was uncomfortable with watching people trying to give each other brain damage.
I have definitely got softer in my dotage but anything that would prevent what happened to Stan gets a big thumbs up from me.
[Post edited 29 May 17:22]

The grass is always greener.

Headers....... on 17:05 - May 29 with 328 viewsCFW

My youngest grandson is only 7 and shows promise as a player, not sure how good he will be in the future as players develop at different ages. He plays up a year and has already played matches against Ipswich, Tottenham and Crystal Palace academy team at their training grounds, which is fantastic experience for the young boys.

They have, quite rightly in my view, stopped them heading the ball. It was quite difficult to begin with (and is still not perfect) as when a throw on takes place his natural instinct is to attack the ball and win the header. He is not alone in that respect but gradually the boys have adapted to this new way of playing football and very soon it will not be a problem.

However, if this is going to be the norm then the boys at this age should take a kick on or a dribble on when the ball goes out of play. To continue with a throw just does not make sense. Anyone else agree/disagree?
Headers....... on 17:35 - May 29 with 313 viewsSheffieldHoop

Headers....... on 17:05 - May 29 by CFW

My youngest grandson is only 7 and shows promise as a player, not sure how good he will be in the future as players develop at different ages. He plays up a year and has already played matches against Ipswich, Tottenham and Crystal Palace academy team at their training grounds, which is fantastic experience for the young boys.

They have, quite rightly in my view, stopped them heading the ball. It was quite difficult to begin with (and is still not perfect) as when a throw on takes place his natural instinct is to attack the ball and win the header. He is not alone in that respect but gradually the boys have adapted to this new way of playing football and very soon it will not be a problem.

However, if this is going to be the norm then the boys at this age should take a kick on or a dribble on when the ball goes out of play. To continue with a throw just does not make sense. Anyone else agree/disagree?

My youth football was roll-ins until we got to 11-a-side pitches, to encourage playing with feet rather than preventing dementia I think

You're never going to prevent kids from practicing headers in their own back gardens, but I guess no one can realistically be sued for that.

Edit, soz didn't mean to quote your post
[Post edited 29 May 17:36]

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024