Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports 13:45 - Sep 20 with 6818 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Head and shoulders above the rest imho. Such swagger, such skill, and such a gent.
And what an honours list, in two different sports.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 11:59 - Sep 21 with 1331 viewsAirtomoreira

Any reason why we can't nominate non human sporting heroes? No, thought not. So, I'll add the following to the list:

Crisp (hate that f*****g donkey Red Rum)
Brigadier Gerard (still remember to this day exactly where I was when he was beaten for the only time)
Border Incident (one of the best / unluckiest horses never to win the Cheltenham Gold Cup)
Sea Pigeon (magnificently versatile horse, not only won the Champion Hurdle twice, but also the Ebor H'Cap on the flat)
Sprinter Sacre (his comeback win in the Champion Chase after serious heart condition brought me to tears. He's the horse in the photo top right)
....and Constitution Hill well on his way to making the list.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2023 12:01]
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 13:08 - Sep 21 with 1250 viewsMonkey_Roots

Ali.

Both a physical and mental specimen.

Truly one of a kind.

In the ring, he demonstrated unparalleled skill, heart and showmanship.

Out of the ring, to be him at that time, doing what he did was just about as brave a thing any man could do.
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 13:54 - Sep 21 with 1215 viewsSimonJames

Tom Brady: despite me being a Dolphins fan for over 50 years, is the GOAT of American football.
Bobby Orr or Wayne Gretzky: ice hockey
Dan Carter: rugby
John Lowe: darts

100% of people who drink water will die.

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 14:11 - Sep 21 with 1189 viewshubble

When I was a testosterone-fuelled, motorbike-mad teen, Barry Sheen was my hero, along with England's answer to Evel Knievel: Eddie Kidd*. As far as I was concerned, it was impossible to be cooler than they were.

But before I became obsessed with motorbikes, I used to love watching test match cricket, which of course in those days was on the Beeb, with uninterrupted coverage, happy days. And my absolute hero was Viv Richards (and still is). Eddie Kidd and Barry Sheen were super cool, but Viv is the don.

*By the way, I never had much time for Paddy McGuiness, until I saw his Top Gear tribute to Eddie, which moved me to tears.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 14:13 - Sep 21 with 1187 viewsR_from_afar

Great thread.

Fallon Sherrock: A trailblazer who has shaken up the world of darts in spite of the flak she has received

Stephen Roche: The second of only two cyclists to win the Triple Crown of victories in the Tour de France and the Giro d'Italia general classification, plus the World road race championship, the first being Eddy Merckx. I don't think he gets the credit he deserves.

B S Chandrasekhar: This Indian leg spinner didn't let a polio attack to his bowling arm stop him and went on to get 242 test wickets with his pacey leg spin. He's also one of only two test cricketers in history to get more wickets than runs!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 14:37 - Sep 21 with 1132 viewsSydneyRs

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 09:47 - Sep 21 by CamberleyR

Wasn't he six ahead and Hendry won ten on the bounce to win it?

Maybe, was a long time ago! Sickening either way!
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 14:53 - Sep 21 with 1111 viewsCamberleyR

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 14:37 - Sep 21 by SydneyRs

Maybe, was a long time ago! Sickening either way!

I seem to remember that in those last few frames when he knew he couldn't stop the raging river he hardly potted a ball.

I still think his best chance was in 1982 when IIRC he was 15-14 up against Higgins in the semi-final and just needed a couple of reds and colours to leave Higgins needing snookers but missed and Higgins then made a brilliant clearance to win the frame to draw level and then won the match.

I think if he'd beaten Higgins, he'd have beaten Reardon in the final to take Higgins' then record as the youngest champion.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2023 15:01]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 14:59 - Sep 21 with 1083 viewsOldPedro

Growing up in Wales in the 70's, my sporting hero had to be a rugby player. With so many world class players to choose from, my personal favourite was JPR Williams - great player, great sideburns!

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Login to get fewer ads

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 15:11 - Sep 21 with 1064 viewsRs_Holy

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 09:37 - Sep 21 by PlanetHonneywood

Roger Federer - and I can't stand tennis, but he was wonderful to watch.

Ian Botham - 1981 Ashes still unsurpassed.

Ayrton Senna - Day he died, I basically stopped watching F1; I don't believe I have missed much since!

Muhammed Ali - The way he was 'guided' toward the end of his career was repugnant. Utter legend, transcended sport, not sure how some of his 'advisers' sleep at night!

Haille Gabrselassie - That 10k at the 2000 Olympics against the great Paul Tergat one, if not the best finishes to a race ever!

Mo Farah and Coe & Ovett - poetry in motion.

'Ayrton Senna - Day he died, I basically stopped watching F1; I don't believe I have missed much since!'

Yep, sh*te now isn't it! The era for me was when Senna, Prost, Mansell and Piquet went into every race with a realistic chance of winning ... Proper sport.
Sky really do their best but its so frigging sterile now... they did an advert for the Monaco Grand Prix a couple of years ago showing Ayrton Senna and Lewis Hamilton in a split screen driving along the same part of the track... Senna was constantly/manually changing gears, fighting the car to get it go where he wanted... Lewis looked like he was playing a computer game. From the sublime to the tedious.
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 16:42 - Sep 21 with 993 viewsEsox_Lucius

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 08:59 - Sep 21 by Padulas_Shampoo

I have Dan Marino's jersey tattooed to my leg.

He pretty much made me fall in love with my 'other sport'. I was completely in awe of him as a kid. Every time he stepped on the field there was a buzz and a feeling that anything could happen. I still don't think I've seen a more influential team sportsman and don't think I ever will.

Exactly how I felt about Elway. The 2 minute drill reached legendary status as performed by him.

The grass is always greener.

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 21:33 - Sep 21 with 913 viewsnumptydumpty

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 14:59 - Sep 21 by OldPedro

Growing up in Wales in the 70's, my sporting hero had to be a rugby player. With so many world class players to choose from, my personal favourite was JPR Williams - great player, great sideburns!

Great choice.

Went most Saturdays in early 70s to mid 80s with my dad to watch London Welsh before QPR took over my sporting interest.

JPR was ahead of his time. Most backs now could play amongst the forwards. In the 1970s JPR was one of a kind.

Total hardman.

Master of the side step
[Post edited 21 Sep 2023 21:37]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 23:32 - Sep 21 with 858 viewsessextaxiboy

Tiger .. .. can hardly walk now days but when he plays his gallery dwarfs the tournament leaders
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 12:11 - Sep 22 with 748 viewsBluce_Ree

MMA - Frankie Edgar. Basically more Rocky than Rocky was. An absolute hero. I currently really like Paul Craig who is a very slick Scottish fighter with a wicked ground game.

Tennis - LOL fk tennis but Gabriela Sabatini was always a snack (despite the substantial jaw).

Snooker - I always liked Jimmy White but in terms of their actual game, Mark Williams is amazing. When he's on form you can't imagine how he's ever lost a match.

Bodybuilding - Serge Nubret. French guy who looked like he was carved out of onyx. Wicked posing routines too.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 12:16 - Sep 22 with 745 viewsRs_Holy

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 23:32 - Sep 21 by essextaxiboy

Tiger .. .. can hardly walk now days but when he plays his gallery dwarfs the tournament leaders

he really needs to retire... its heartbreaking watching him hobble around a golf course, failing to make the cut :(
[Post edited 22 Sep 2023 12:48]
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 12:28 - Sep 22 with 740 viewsMick_S

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 23:32 - Sep 21 by essextaxiboy

Just magnificent. Genius.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 13:12 - Sep 22 with 701 viewsNoelmc

Muhammad Ali - The Greatest

Steve Redgrave - 5 Olympic Gold Medals over 20 years in a gruelling sport (while dealing with diabetes) - Amazing.

Roger Federer - poetry in motion.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024