Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
LFW brain boxes. 16:08 - Jun 4 with 6746 viewsqpr_1968

judging by the way posts are thrown up on here, there seems to be quite a few intelligent fellows that post.
i must admit some of the words you use i have to look up.

i left school at 16 with absolute zilch qualifications, still type with one hand, but i've got through life.....and something in common with you lot, support qpr.

would love to know what qualifications you lot have got, o levels, degrees, bachelors of whatever.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

LFW brain boxes. on 10:49 - Jun 5 with 1256 viewsdaveB

made a mess of my GCSE's the first time so had to re do them and still only got 4 C's.
Passed a BTEC in Media which got me in uni and a degree (not a very good one) and after a year on the dole my mate got me a job on a six month contract, 20+ years later we're both still here and I'm his boss which annoys him and i enjoy winding him up about. The qualifications meant next to nothing but made some great friends and memories for life at College and Uni
LFW brain boxes. on 11:22 - Jun 5 with 1217 viewshantssi

LFW brain boxes. on 10:34 - Jun 5 by Walnut

Not far from Copland and Preston Manor, I went to Alperton just a few years behind one Garry Waddock

Played against them both at school and Old Boys!
In fact we used to have a Boxing Day fixture against Alps, at its peak 4 matches went on for a Boxing Day trophy, followed by a few beers!
The refs would sometimes call for a “hangover” break during each half for those who’d caned it on Christmas Day!
LFW brain boxes. on 11:31 - Jun 5 with 1205 viewsSonofpugwash

North West Kent Under 16 discus champion 1964.
What a f*cking waste of a life school was,anything of value gained by personal experience and not indoctrination.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

LFW brain boxes. on 11:44 - Jun 5 with 1197 viewsPaddyhoops

Got a couple of Bs in higher level Geography and English at leaving certificate level.
Didn’t count for much in early eighties Ireland.
The boat to England unless you were minted was the height of your ambition.
Never put them in front of an employer in my life .
Laboured here for a few years but picked up a trade.
Hard work is the key. Show up for work regardless of how pissed you were the night before.
Gets you a long way.
LFW brain boxes. on 11:48 - Jun 5 with 1192 viewsHamptonR

Spent my entire school years, stuck between trying to be with the tougher kids but being drawn to the clever ones.
I was in the football team, which helped but I pissed away my exams by acting the prat from the first bell to the last.
My penny should have dropped when the headmaster, told me that I will fail all of my CSEs, when I said I was doing O levels, he shook his head, then carried out my caning, the reason for my visit to his office.

Not sure if the O Levels would have helped me in life. Had I got a better job, I would probably have ballsed it up.
LFW brain boxes. on 12:13 - Jun 5 with 1120 viewsDavieQPR

Did some reading at Oxford but then the second half started so put down my programme.
LFW brain boxes. on 13:40 - Jun 5 with 1057 viewsChrisNW6

Coasted through secondary school and had to retake O levels in 6th form. Did a year of A levels after scrapping 5 O levels and 2 CSEs but soon realised I was only good at playing cards in the smoking room and left to get a job.

Have worked non stop for 35yrs and now in a pretty senior role. Have always regretted not applying myself and going Uni but it didn't make any difference career wise.
LFW brain boxes. on 13:41 - Jun 5 with 1049 viewsBedford_R

I went to Copland and left in 1982 with a few O levels. Took some more O levels at Hendon College of Further Education. Then got a job in computers via the old YTS scheme. And have been in computers since. Now I manage a bunch of IT wizards who are far smarter than me dealing with staff issues, finance, hiring and firing as well as the odd cyber attack.

School did not prepare me for what I do now in life. Because I ran a bit fast at 100 metres the school didn't see much past that. And me being a quiet moody angst ridden teenager didn't help.

I have picked up a few specific IT qualifications along the way which do help in my job as well as training in soft skills. I now know how to tell somebody that they are a farking useless git in the nicest most positive way....

RMH_R Reborn

Login to get fewer ads

LFW brain boxes. on 14:21 - Jun 5 with 997 viewsheadhoops

passed 11+ at a canter, went to posh grammar and hated it. Passed 7 O-levels and dismally failed both English Language & Literature. My English teacher, Crispian Pickles (true!), told me to never work in any profession that involved 'English'. Started a magazine in 1985 and its been a lifestyle business ever since. As others have said, if you work hard, learn from those that know thats a good way to go. Way too much emphahsis is put on qualifications.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

LFW brain boxes. on 14:54 - Jun 5 with 952 viewsR_from_afar

10 O levels, 3 A levels, 1 S level, a BA Honours Degree in French and German, a Diploma in Supervisory Management - I failed them all haha

No, all joking apart, I did pretty well in all of them, thank goodness, with the exception of my English A level, which I messed up, only receiving an E. No matter what The Shaman may think, when it comes to exams, Es are most certainly not good, especially when, like me, you spend a disproportionate amount of your time trying to master the subject.

I have always worked hard at my studies and in my career and I am a trier but in my humble opinion, what really matters in life is what sort of a person you are and how you treat people. Two quotations which inspire me and which I try to make my guiding principles are:

“We will either find a way or make one” (Hannibal)

“People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel” (Maya Angelou).

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

LFW brain boxes. on 15:11 - Jun 5 with 916 viewsFG_R

LFW brain boxes. on 12:13 - Jun 5 by DavieQPR

Did some reading at Oxford but then the second half started so put down my programme.

Anyone remember the Goon Show:

Seagoon: I say! You're wearing an Oxford tie!
What were you doing at Oxford?

Eccles: Buying a tie.
LFW brain boxes. on 15:12 - Jun 5 with 909 viewsBoston

My objectivity re education was sharpened the moment I became an employer. While it is nice to interact with well educated people, business has a bottom line and that rule was instrumental in my evaluation of 'essential' members of the workforce.
I've employed the 'best' and the worst, learned that paperwork does not represent your worth either on the staff or as a friend.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

LFW brain boxes. on 15:25 - Jun 5 with 886 viewsBostonR

5 O Levels and two A levels.
RICS and Masters in Real Estate plus an MBA in later life.
The MBA was the most valued and helped my career massively. Now retired.
LFW brain boxes. on 15:50 - Jun 5 with 852 viewsQPunkR

LFW brain boxes. on 15:25 - Jun 5 by BostonR

5 O Levels and two A levels.
RICS and Masters in Real Estate plus an MBA in later life.
The MBA was the most valued and helped my career massively. Now retired.

All the GCSEs, three disappointing A-levels and a desmond from QMUL. Best thing about studying languages at uni was the year I spent in Málaga.

Regularly went to La Rosaleda to watch the side before they were temporarily rich like us and still follow them to this day. Unfortunately they've just been relegated from the second division and are tanking even worse than us. Think we're all doomed as QPR fans to support shít football teams as my other side is Polonia Warszawa - who got relegated to the fifth tier a few years back and have only just won promotion back to the second division!

QPR - "shit but local"

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024