Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Liz Truss is the new PM 12:39 - Sep 5 with 33710 viewsJuzzie

82% of the 172,437 Conservative members voted. That's 141,000 people deciding the fate of millions.

Sunak got 60k votes (43%)
Truss got 81k votes (57%)

So it wasn't even a clear majority, the Party was fairly evenly split which says to me they're not in harmony, a divided party.

God help us.

I'd have said the same has Sunak won it, what an awful place to be in where no one seems to be anywhere near good enough for the job at hand.

And before anyone says "Well Labour wouldn't do a better job of it" a) it's not about Labour b) maybe not

What a state this country is in.

[Post edited 5 Sep 2022 12:58]
Liz Truss is the new PM on 14:46 - Sep 7 with 2356 viewswood_hoop

Liz Truss is the new PM on 14:20 - Sep 7 by Sonofpugwash

Errrrr...we've had three female party leaders/Prime ministers and none of them have been Labour.I thought they were supposed to be the party of inclusivity?

Just a thought, maybe no Labour female MP as of yet quite galvanised the LP to have the confidence to elect as leader, does seem now quite few might just have enough to break that 'glass ceiling' if/when Starmer gets the old heave ho.

No matter who the Tories elect will just be a continuance of their right/ wing mantra, could be either sex, as long as they follow the UKIp/ERG fantasy 'ideals'.

One thing that is very glaring to me is the total lack of empathy that the Tory females in any position of power seem to endorse with vigor, the Tory men are no better either.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 15:16 - Sep 7 with 2286 viewsJuzzie

Errrrr...we've had three female party leaders/Prime ministers and none of them have been Labour.I thought they were supposed to be the party of inclusivity?

Theresa May said the same. However, that would actually be giving a job to someone BECAUSE of their gender rather than someone being good enough for the job REGARDLESS of their gender.

Whether or not Labour or any other party hasn't had a female leader is utterly irrelevant.

Infantile points-scoring starting already in the HoC.

[Post edited 7 Sep 2022 16:48]
Liz Truss is the new PM on 15:24 - Sep 7 with 2263 viewsR_from_afar

I like to think that when Liz finished her cup of Earl Grey at Balmoral, the disappearing liquid revealed a message built into the patterns of the fine bone china:
"I know what you said about the monarchy, missy".

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Liz Truss is the new PM on 15:28 - Sep 7 with 2256 viewsstanistheman

I find it hard to stomach that 141,000 Conservative members can decide who will govern this country (felt similarly in 2008 when Blair handed over to Brown).

Many people vote for the Party leader, rather than a party, and so when the PM leaves in term I think a general election needs to be called, similar to when an MP leaves, retires or dies and a by election is held.

As for Truss I think she is wrong not to have a windfall tax on the oil and gas firms as they did not expect the huge profits they are making due to the war. She says profit is not a dirty word (and I agree) however, profiteering in wartime (and this is similar imo) is.

She appears to be passing on this huge energy crisis onto future generations to pay, whilst the companies make huge profits. And judging by the dividends they have so far paid out, it isn't being paid out to shareholders either ( I have a small amount of shares in one company and the dividends I have been getting are half of what I received pre Covid).

I don't know what they are doing with the £5B extra profits they have been making each quarter, but helping to ease the energy costs would be a good start. As would investing in renewable energy.

I guess she has about 18-24 months to convince the nation to vote for the current party to remain in power.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 16:14 - Sep 7 with 2174 viewsderbyhoop

Liz Truss is the new PM on 15:28 - Sep 7 by stanistheman

I find it hard to stomach that 141,000 Conservative members can decide who will govern this country (felt similarly in 2008 when Blair handed over to Brown).

Many people vote for the Party leader, rather than a party, and so when the PM leaves in term I think a general election needs to be called, similar to when an MP leaves, retires or dies and a by election is held.

As for Truss I think she is wrong not to have a windfall tax on the oil and gas firms as they did not expect the huge profits they are making due to the war. She says profit is not a dirty word (and I agree) however, profiteering in wartime (and this is similar imo) is.

She appears to be passing on this huge energy crisis onto future generations to pay, whilst the companies make huge profits. And judging by the dividends they have so far paid out, it isn't being paid out to shareholders either ( I have a small amount of shares in one company and the dividends I have been getting are half of what I received pre Covid).

I don't know what they are doing with the £5B extra profits they have been making each quarter, but helping to ease the energy costs would be a good start. As would investing in renewable energy.

I guess she has about 18-24 months to convince the nation to vote for the current party to remain in power.

Constitutionally, nobody votes for a Party leader. We're supposed to vote for our local Representative.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Liz Truss is the new PM on 16:31 - Sep 7 with 2131 viewsEsox_Lucius

I maintain that the current Conservative party know that they are a busted flush with not a prayer of being elected at the next GE and implementing a scorched Earth policy which will have severe repercussions for generations to come and they can lay it all at the feet of the Labour party as they will be in power.
Don't be minded to think that people wouldn't fall for that, they fell for the Brexit lies hook, line & sinker, and the new revisionism about Johnson's leadership is staggeringly deceitful.
The ERG have performed a silent coup and no-one is saying a word about it.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2022 16:42]

The grass is always greener.

Liz Truss is the new PM on 16:35 - Sep 7 with 2115 viewswood_hoop

'She appears to be passing on this huge energy crisis onto future generations to pay, whilst the companies make huge profits. And judging by the dividends they have so far paid out, it isn't being paid out to shareholders either ( I have a small amount of shares in one company and the dividends I have been getting are half of what I received pre Covid).'

Heres a clue as to where some of the profits end up.....

https://t.co/IWeiRdFQLJ
Liz Truss is the new PM on 17:07 - Sep 7 with 2029 viewsconnell10

2 were unelected soooòo......

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Login to get fewer ads

Liz Truss is the new PM on 17:35 - Sep 7 with 1994 viewsRanger_Things

Liz Truss is the new PM on 13:21 - Sep 5 by HAYESBOY

A gift for Labour.

It would seem so, Starmer destroyed her at first PMQ’s. She looked totally out of her depth. I reckon the knives will be out for her before long and we’ll have a new Tory leader before the next General Election.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 17:44 - Sep 7 with 1973 viewsdenhamhoop2

Liz Truss is the new PM on 17:35 - Sep 7 by Ranger_Things

It would seem so, Starmer destroyed her at first PMQ’s. She looked totally out of her depth. I reckon the knives will be out for her before long and we’ll have a new Tory leader before the next General Election.

Time for the Dark Lord Emperor Rees Mogg to become leader
Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:06 - Sep 7 with 1934 viewsJuzzie

Maybe before the World Cup!!
Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:29 - Sep 7 with 1839 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Worth pointing out that we dont actually vote for the Prime Minister, even during a General Election. We vote for our member of parliament to represent the constituency we live in, and we decide whom to vote for based on the party manifesto. In the US they directly vote for the President, but even then they can be replaced as happened with Nixon and Ford.
Some may argue that she won't follow the manifesto from the last election, but that went out of the window due to Covid and more so now due to Russian invasion of Ukraine.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:37 - Sep 7 with 1815 viewsflynnbo

Liz Truss is the new PM on 17:44 - Sep 7 by denhamhoop2

Time for the Dark Lord Emperor Rees Mogg to become leader

Aka the Haunted Pencil.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:42 - Sep 7 with 1795 viewsDWQPR

Strange how we all view things differently like football matches. I thought that Truss out scored the dull one. Certainly not destroyed him but if you think the word ‘destroyed’ isa fair performance of Starmer’s performance then I’d hate to see him have a bad day.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:45 - Sep 7 with 1786 viewsderbyhoop

I thought she was more impressive than I expected. Don't think Starmer landed any serious blows.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:48 - Sep 7 with 1780 viewsflynnbo

Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:45 - Sep 7 by derbyhoop

I thought she was more impressive than I expected. Don't think Starmer landed any serious blows.

Today was always going to be Truss's best day at PMQs and Starmer's most difficut. There were rumours that a 3 line whip was employed for the Tories. Time will tell, of course.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 19:09 - Sep 7 with 1737 viewsQPR_John

“ Many people vote for the Party leader, rather than a party, and so when the PM leaves in term I think a general election needs to be called, similar to when an MP leaves, retires or dies and a by election is held. ”

There has been a lot of post saying the same thing regarding a general election if a PM retires and they have answered simply because in our system we do not directly vote for a PM. Of course the argument is that at the time of voting we know the leaders of each party and hence who will in reality become PM should that party get a majority ( for arguments sake let us ignore hung parliaments). The counter to that argument and one I have mentioned before is what happens when a party wins but the leader loses their seat. If you want a change you need to answer that one.

When talking about an MP you forgot to mention the case when they change parties.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 19:10 - Sep 7 with 1723 viewsSonofpugwash

Liz Truss is the new PM on 15:16 - Sep 7 by Juzzie

Theresa May said the same. However, that would actually be giving a job to someone BECAUSE of their gender rather than someone being good enough for the job REGARDLESS of their gender.

Whether or not Labour or any other party hasn't had a female leader is utterly irrelevant.

Infantile points-scoring starting already in the HoC.

[Post edited 7 Sep 2022 16:48]

But but but "infantile points scoring" is at the very core of our Parliament.

How very dare you mock our wonderful institutions.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Liz Truss is the new PM on 19:52 - Sep 7 with 1643 viewstraininvain

Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:42 - Sep 7 by DWQPR

Strange how we all view things differently like football matches. I thought that Truss out scored the dull one. Certainly not destroyed him but if you think the word ‘destroyed’ isa fair performance of Starmer’s performance then I’d hate to see him have a bad day.

The Guardian (see below copy and paste) were quite complimentary of Truss’s first PMQ’s performance. Make of that what you will.

PMQs - snap verdict
Every former prime minister says that taking PMQs is the most scary ordeal of the week and, even after 10 years in post, people like Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair regarded it as one of the ultimate challenges of the job — an encounter when a few wrong words could spell disaster. For any new prime minister, the first question is, are they up to it? And Liz Truss clearly is. She looked like a prime minister, she performed reasonably well, and she even managed a decent joke (on Labour leaders and north London — see 12.20pm.) It was not a triumph, but it was not a catastrophe either, and on day one that is a bonus.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 20:00 - Sep 7 with 1616 viewsRangersw12

🙄🙄🙄🙄
Liz Truss is the new PM on 21:03 - Sep 7 with 1518 viewsDWQPR

Liz Truss is the new PM on 20:00 - Sep 7 by Rangersw12

🙄🙄🙄🙄

I’d take more notice if that information came from a less vile human being than Sultana.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Liz Truss is the new PM on 21:06 - Sep 7 with 1509 viewsManinBlack

Some interesting points of view about who gets elected. I clearly move in different circles to those posting on here. The people I know voted Tory not because of their local rep but to stop Corbyn winning. Then we had those who wanted Brexit so Boris was the man. Apparently some people voted Tory because Boris had charisma and made them laugh and was better than any leader Labour had.

If you look in the recent history Labour has had leaders vilified and laughed at. Foot, Kinnock, Miliband and Corbyn all suffered character assassinations by the media and people bought into it and would vote for a cardboard cut out if it represents the Tories to stop these characters from becoming PM.

I agree we should be voting on policies but a lot of people vote for the personalities as Britain is like America buying into the cult of celebrity. This leads to getting leaders like Boris and Trump.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 21:15 - Sep 7 with 1480 viewsHastings_Hoops

Liz Truss is the new PM on 13:24 - Sep 6 by SheffieldHoop

Twitter is so liberal that its conservative employees ‘don’t feel safe to express their opinions,’ says CEO Jack Dorsey
https://www.vox.com/2018/9/14/17857622/twitter-liberal-employees-conservative-tr

A bit like this messageboard really

Don’t get mixed up between ‘liberal’ and ‘lefty’… liberal accepts the views of others. Left-ism is similar to right-ism in that it won’t accept a different opinion.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 21:18 - Sep 7 with 1470 viewsBlackCrowe

I wish it were so, she's a mad old bat i reckon but Starmer did not come out that encounter well at all imo, when it should've been like shooting fish in barrel. It's all too depressing.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Liz Truss is the new PM on 21:40 - Sep 7 with 2196 viewsLogman

Very depressing. Truss rushing headlong forward into a really dated and short sighted strategy and Starmer totally rudderless. Its like watching Mourinho v JFH.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024