Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well Well Well 08:37 - May 6 with 10452 viewspeejaybee

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/05/06/report-wycombes-gareth-ainsworth-likely-to-

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Well Well Well on 11:47 - May 7 with 2440 viewsisawqpratwcity

Well Well Well on 11:10 - May 7 by VancouverHoop

However the "world" in world series is named after a newspaper – the Chicago World – not the planet. Americans can certainly be arrogant and xenophobic but this isn't an instance of it.

Fair enough, but they don't do anything to dispel the notion, nor do they have a higher competition for the world development of the game.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Well Well Well on 14:20 - May 7 with 2395 viewsVancouverHoop

Well Well Well on 11:47 - May 7 by isawqpratwcity

Fair enough, but they don't do anything to dispel the notion, nor do they have a higher competition for the world development of the game.

Well there's the World Baseball Classic every three years – not equivalent to FIFA's World Cup for sure, but something

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Baseball_Classic

Essentially though all North American pro leagues, not just baseball, are solely money making propositions. They have no interest in anything but the good of their franchises and resist, or forbid, players from playing in other competitions.
Well Well Well on 14:43 - May 7 with 2369 viewsisawqpratwcity

Well Well Well on 14:20 - May 7 by VancouverHoop

Well there's the World Baseball Classic every three years – not equivalent to FIFA's World Cup for sure, but something

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Baseball_Classic

Essentially though all North American pro leagues, not just baseball, are solely money making propositions. They have no interest in anything but the good of their franchises and resist, or forbid, players from playing in other competitions.

Thanks, that was definitely the sort of thing I was looking for.
As for the closed shop of the American leagues, as far as they are concerned, it really is the 'World' Series: no-one else matters. I'm not so sure that it is not as arrogant and xenophobic one might think.
I like to see a sport that encourages competition, but also seeks to promote the game around the world. That's not easy when there are huge disparities in abilities and resources, but I think cricket is trying to achieve that.

Well Well Well on 15:19 - May 7 with 2350 viewsVancouverHoop

Well Well Well on 14:43 - May 7 by isawqpratwcity

As for the closed shop of the American leagues, as far as they are concerned, it really is the 'World' Series: no-one else matters. I'm not so sure that it is not as arrogant and xenophobic one might think.
I like to see a sport that encourages competition, but also seeks to promote the game around the world. That's not easy when there are huge disparities in abilities and resources, but I think cricket is trying to achieve that.

Yeah. In part it's history. Football, cricket and other "old world" sports had governing bodies (FA, MCC etc) that preceded the leagues. They set the rules, but had nothing to do with the leagues, or teams. The FA rather than the Football League, for example, had an interest in promoting the sport internationally. However North American leagues never had that division. The National & American baseball leagues are their own governing bodies, as are the NFL, NHL and NBA.

You're right, it is exclusive and, and was xenophobic, though probably unintentionally. Arguably that's changed somewhat, MLB, NHL and NBA now employ many players from overseas, and their success has had a considerable knock-on effect on the sport in their home countries.
[Post edited 7 May 2018 15:20]
Well Well Well on 01:21 - May 9 with 2119 viewstimcocking

Whatever the journalistic integrity of the sun, there's certainly so much talk and of course Tony's comments, that it seems highly likely Ollie won't be here next year. I can completely understand why it's happened and plenty of the blame for it lies with Ollie unfortunately.

But i still think it's a big mistake. We have been excellent at times and i think the best way to push on is stability which just won't happen with another managerial change. Particularly with probably the youngest, least experienced side in the league next year, all of whom have been brought in by Ollie. And losing our most senior players.

Even if he does stay, i think this will have irrevocably affected him.

I love Ainsworth, i'd love him to take over from Ollie in a year or two.
Well Well Well on 18:48 - May 9 with 2021 viewsVancouverHoop

Well Well Well on 14:43 - May 7 by isawqpratwcity

FYI This may be of interest:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/baseball/44038752
Well Well Well on 01:49 - May 10 with 1954 viewsisawqpratwcity

Well Well Well on 18:48 - May 9 by VancouverHoop

FYI This may be of interest:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/baseball/44038752

Thanks for that. I appreciate that doing these 'feature' games may be a sacrifice for the clubs and the league involved: loss of home crowd advantage and pissing off fans who'd normally attend, reduced gates and reduced TV numbers because of the different time zones, etc.

I'm still cynical that this is maybe only an attempt to get syndication of their TV coverage into more markets rather than a genuine attempt to get the sport moving at 'grass roots' with encouragement for schools participation and local leagues.

But I'm being harsh. If they didn't do anything, then nothing would happen.

Well Well Well on 15:52 - May 10 with 1863 viewskingsburyR

Well Well Well on 11:10 - May 7 by VancouverHoop

However the "world" in world series is named after a newspaper – the Chicago World – not the planet. Americans can certainly be arrogant and xenophobic but this isn't an instance of it.

Agreed but the yanks do call the winners of the super bowl WORLD CHAMPIONS and that is about the planet!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024