Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dog Harness. 14:18 - Nov 21 with 8918 viewsMick_S

I'm in the running for the most boring post title ever, but I need some advice.
My dog is driving me nuts during our walks by pulling almost constantly and I've been advised to try a harness* - I'm using a conventional lead at the moment and an extendable one over the fields as his recall is not too good at the moment.

Six month old Hungarian Vizsla who is attending puppy classes.

Help!!!

*Not me - the dog.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2017 14:29]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Dog Harness. on 00:27 - Nov 23 with 2349 viewsJigsore

The harness basically allowed my dog to pull even harder, and pull so hard he still made the stupid raspy breathing sound the same as a normal lead.

ended up getting something called a Halti

it's almost like a horse bridle and makes them a lot easier to steer and less willing to veer off randomly

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Dog Harness. on 00:40 - Nov 23 with 2344 viewsDubaiR

While on the subject, we have a Dachshund amazing with our two young children. The issue comes when we take him for a walk, he barks at every other dog and tries to get to them, he just wants to play and not vicious but he is only one that does it. We have resorted to walking him when we know there will be fewer dogs about, we would love to take him to some fields near us but honestly it's hard work explaining to everyone he is friendly and just wants to play. Had him 5 years and he has always been the same
Dog Harness. on 07:56 - Nov 23 with 2296 viewswestberksr

The one I put up doesn't encourage and pulls under the shoulders/armpits so easy to use, effective and does no harm to dog. Harness without the pulley can make a puller worse (been there done that)

My dog has been to extensive training but due to location doesn't get 'lead' walked often so reverts to type. Nearly 8 and still the same; everything else he does brilliantly but just pulls a bit too much. If I had to lead walk and pound the streets I'd have had to perservere.
Dog Harness. on 09:00 - Nov 23 with 2290 viewsjohncharles

Talking about dogs, it was bloody cold when I took out at 7.30 this morning.

Strong and stable my arse.

Dog Harness. on 13:38 - Nov 23 with 2255 viewsBoston

Although there is no state wide leash law in Massachusetts, my town, Milton, is one of a number of communities within the commonwealth which does impose such. Fortunately, as with much of the legislation that is passed locally, its only for show, there is widespread disregard and even less enforcement , therefore biscuits / puddles, can run free in the abundance of local 'wilderness' that surrounds me. I let the dog(s) roam without restraint as often as possible, restricting only as circumstances dictate.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Dog Harness. on 17:21 - Nov 23 with 2232 viewsDannyPaddox

I was hoping this was an early transfer window rumour and Dog Harness was an experienced tough tackling Scandinavian centre-back we were in for.
Dog Harness. on 17:40 - Nov 23 with 2225 viewsBoston

Dog Harness. on 17:21 - Nov 23 by DannyPaddox

I was hoping this was an early transfer window rumour and Dog Harness was an experienced tough tackling Scandinavian centre-back we were in for.

The OP did apologize for the most boring post ever, but we don't have to go all Scandinavian squire.

Dog Harness. on 18:19 - Nov 23 with 2217 viewsDannyPaddox

Dog Harness. on 17:40 - Nov 23 by Boston

The OP did apologize for the most boring post ever, but we don't have to go all Scandinavian squire.

You love it!
Login to get fewer ads

Dog Harness. on 18:55 - Nov 23 with 2203 viewsHunterhoop

Dog Harness. on 14:42 - Nov 21 by Lblock

No! No! No!

A harness won’t help you, they help the dog

What you need is a decent collar as high up the neck as possible and then you need to add a Halti or a Gentle Leader. These are NOT muzzles but some people think they are. If used right they will change your life

The key to get any dog walking well on a lead is boring repetition and consistency. Our current 8 month old puppy is a very hard work in progress at the moment which the missus is fully committed to. We have a test case of not following this through by way of our 9 year old 30 kilos of muscle Labrador who we never cracked lead walking with. If we want total control on a walk with her then the halti comes out

Look em up on you tube

By the way. Extendable lead is a no no as well. Try a long line, like a 30 footer but when the dog is pulling at the end of an extender or able to be 15 foot away from you but still on a lead then it’s gett the wrong signals
[Post edited 21 Nov 2017 14:44]

Yeah, my parents have a Border Collie. Pulled like mad as a puppy. Halti made a world of difference. He'll still pull on a conventional lead. He's 8, which gives you a sense of how badly he pulled. And it's not for want of trying. Parents did classes, huge amount of training, etc, and obeys most commands, does tricks, never hurt a fly, but he still likes pulling on a conventional lead. However, he's fine on a Halti. Absolutely fine. Makes him walkable on a lead.

A harness just strengthens the dog doesn't it?
[Post edited 23 Nov 2017 19:02]
Dog Harness. on 18:56 - Nov 23 with 2202 viewsBoston

Dog Harness. on 18:19 - Nov 23 by DannyPaddox

You love it!

If you say so...

Dog Harness. on 23:36 - Nov 23 with 2161 viewsPommyhoop

Dog Harness. on 00:27 - Nov 23 by Jigsore

The harness basically allowed my dog to pull even harder, and pull so hard he still made the stupid raspy breathing sound the same as a normal lead.

ended up getting something called a Halti

it's almost like a horse bridle and makes them a lot easier to steer and less willing to veer off randomly

My lab absolutely HATED this Halti. He'd be rubbing it non stop with his front paws. Made him miserable. Ditched it for a soft rope slip choker. Pretty much sorted him but he'll still pull like feck to get at dogs ( to play).

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Discover the Benefits of Customized Dog Harnesses on 06:45 - Feb 27 with 944 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Cheese?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Dog Harness. on 06:51 - Feb 27 with 939 viewsrichles

I have had dogs for years and use harnesses for all of the them and they don’t stop them pulling . Not a fan of the halti but discovered the Canny collar a few years back and these are brilliant and from my experience work really well . Around about the £15 mark on Amazon
https://www.cannyco.co.uk/ Link to uk site
[Post edited 27 Feb 6:59]

perth lsa

Dog Harness. on 07:08 - Feb 27 with 908 viewsMick_S

It’s ok. I’ve fixed it 😆

Dog Harness. on 07:12 - Feb 27 with 899 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Dog Harness. on 07:08 - Feb 27 by Mick_S

It’s ok. I’ve fixed it 😆

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Dog Harness. on 14:26 - Feb 27 with 779 viewsGaryT

Dog Harness. on 23:36 - Nov 23 by Pommyhoop

My lab absolutely HATED this Halti. He'd be rubbing it non stop with his front paws. Made him miserable. Ditched it for a soft rope slip choker. Pretty much sorted him but he'll still pull like feck to get at dogs ( to play).

This^

Mine did the same but I avoided getting a harness as I read a lot about them being DESIGNED to make your dog pull (see Huskies). I have a friend who has a Weimaraner on a harness and the dog is pulling her in all directions 100% of the time. Mine used to pull a lot and sniffing everything within a 6 foot radius but changing from a regular collar to a slip leash has been the answer. She will now walk next to me calmly with just the slightest of tension on the leash.

She didn't like it to start with and tried to bite the leash a couple of times but nothing like the fit she would go into in trying to take off the Halti. I bought one off amazon that uses a rubber bone to tighten it under the jaw but I think the rope is a little too thick and it quite stiff. I think I will get one thinner that will hang more loosely as seen in this video.

Dog Harness. on 15:05 - Feb 27 with 748 viewsMick_S

Dog Harness. on 14:26 - Feb 27 by GaryT

This^

Mine did the same but I avoided getting a harness as I read a lot about them being DESIGNED to make your dog pull (see Huskies). I have a friend who has a Weimaraner on a harness and the dog is pulling her in all directions 100% of the time. Mine used to pull a lot and sniffing everything within a 6 foot radius but changing from a regular collar to a slip leash has been the answer. She will now walk next to me calmly with just the slightest of tension on the leash.

She didn't like it to start with and tried to bite the leash a couple of times but nothing like the fit she would go into in trying to take off the Halti. I bought one off amazon that uses a rubber bone to tighten it under the jaw but I think the rope is a little too thick and it quite stiff. I think I will get one thinner that will hang more loosely as seen in this video.

We got a harness from easy walk - the clasp for the lead is on the dogs chest rather than on his neck/shoulders. It worked instantly - like a magic wand.

Dog Harness. on 15:41 - Feb 27 with 741 viewsGaryT

"We got a harness from easy walk - the clasp for the lead is on the dogs chest rather than on his neck/shoulders. It worked instantly - like a magic wand."

Yeah, if you have to have a harness then you have to attach the leash at the chest. Having watched my friends dog still pull with it attached there, I'm glad I found out about slip leashes. Whatever works for you I guess.
Dog Harness. on 16:31 - Feb 27 with 720 viewsCamberleyR

We've got an eight month old Lab x German Shepherd and he pulled like fck when we used an extendable lead or bungee lead with a harness that went round his chest, it wasn't pleasurable taking him for walks.

Recently got one of these. Cost about 20 quid.
https://www.k9bridle.com/

It's a game changer. It's a bridle type device similar to the Halti but it's like he is a different dog with it on and it's no longer a chore taking him for walks. I'd recommend to anybody that has a dog that really pulls on the lead.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Dog Harness. on 21:16 - Feb 27 with 645 viewsSpaceman_P

Quite frankly, I'm actually happy the title is Dog harness and not another type.
Dog Harness. on 21:30 - Feb 27 with 637 viewsGloucs_R

I've had dogs since I was a kid. I currently have two pointers. One is as good as gold and walks nicely on the lead and the other one wants to live life at 100 mph. She's still only 18 months and learning but training her has been particularly challenging, and I would say I'm a very competent dog handler.

Try this...
RUFFWEAR Front Range Dog Harness, Adjustable Comfortable Padded Everyday Walking Harness, 2 Lead Attachments, Reinforced Front Clip Webbing & Strong Metal V Ring,

The front attachment slows her down and restricts her pulling. She still not perfect but a lot better than what she has been.

That brand was recommended to us by Pointer and hound breeders who fully endorse it.
[Post edited 27 Feb 21:32]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Dog Harness. on 21:31 - Feb 27 with 634 viewsDubaiR

Hey mate we have a Vizsla coming upto 2 years old. We have a hunter lead. Gets an hour free running in field as recall ok. And 2 walks on lead. First 10 min on lead same issue as you then settles. If she see,s me out treats in pocket doesn't pull at all
Discover the Benefits of Customized Dog Harnesses on 21:48 - Feb 27 with 612 viewsNed_Kennedys

Discover the Benefits of Customized Dog Harnesses on 06:45 - Feb 27 by PlanetHonneywood

Cheese?

Muttzorella
Dog Harness. on 22:40 - Feb 27 with 570 viewsMick_S

Dog Harness. on 21:31 - Feb 27 by DubaiR

Hey mate we have a Vizsla coming upto 2 years old. We have a hunter lead. Gets an hour free running in field as recall ok. And 2 walks on lead. First 10 min on lead same issue as you then settles. If she see,s me out treats in pocket doesn't pull at all

My Vizsla grew up at 6 years of age. Good luck 😂

Dog Harness. on 23:48 - Feb 27 with 588 viewsloftupper

Dog Harness. on 22:40 - Feb 27 by Mick_S

My Vizsla grew up at 6 years of age. Good luck 😂

We have two welsh terriers, ended up with harnesses on both. The girl is good as gold walks to heel and is no fuss.

The boy on the other hand is nuts, completely harmless but hunting and chasing is so wired into him I just wouldn’t want to train it out of him (even if we could). So we keep our walks to the country side and the woods and let him have his fun! Cheering on the squirrels as they just evade him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024