Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BT Sport 13:44 - Mar 6 with 5539 viewsstonebridgers

I see that BT Sport have won exclusive rights to Champions league football until 2021 which means no highlights of games or live coverage on free to air TV. They have said highlights and the final will be available on social media.

After seeing the boxing thread on here earlier about the PPV market it wont be long before they start doing it with football.

I am not that bothered about the CL but what a shame that the so called elite competition in Europe isn't available to watch without paying a subscription.

Stonebridgers

BT Sport on 09:34 - Mar 7 with 1336 viewsfrancisbowles

A word of caution. There is a worrying trend developing whereby football both live and highlights is disappearing from terrestrial television.

Not bothered too much by this tournament but what if it is MOTD and the Football League highlights next.

I spend my time and money on a season ticket not sky or BT but I do like my weekend complete with a brief look at what the others are doing.
BT Sport on 09:44 - Mar 7 with 1317 viewsdaveB

BT Sport on 09:34 - Mar 7 by francisbowles

A word of caution. There is a worrying trend developing whereby football both live and highlights is disappearing from terrestrial television.

Not bothered too much by this tournament but what if it is MOTD and the Football League highlights next.

I spend my time and money on a season ticket not sky or BT but I do like my weekend complete with a brief look at what the others are doing.

It's in the games interest to be on terrestrial tv, more people watch the Premier League on Match of the Day than they do on Sky. If Match of the Day went to BT for example and you had no terrestrial highlights then the Premier League would start to struggle
BT Sport on 09:50 - Mar 7 with 1302 viewsbob566

that's the way it's going. BBC is haemorrhaging sport left right and centre. ITV the same. They've both put their eggs in the reality tv game. Remember when BBC had athletics, horse racing, snooker, darts, formula one, live football, rugby both codes. What's it got left now. Bad darts, an odd fa cup match and the great north run if you're lucky.

I can see a lot of people not paying their tv license and moving to Netflix with bt sports or sky sports etc.
BT Sport on 10:02 - Mar 7 with 1291 viewsCamberleyR

BT Sport on 09:50 - Mar 7 by bob566

that's the way it's going. BBC is haemorrhaging sport left right and centre. ITV the same. They've both put their eggs in the reality tv game. Remember when BBC had athletics, horse racing, snooker, darts, formula one, live football, rugby both codes. What's it got left now. Bad darts, an odd fa cup match and the great north run if you're lucky.

I can see a lot of people not paying their tv license and moving to Netflix with bt sports or sky sports etc.

"What's it got left now. Bad darts, an odd fa cup match and the great north run if you're lucky."

BBC hasn't even got the bad darts anymore! This year's BDO tournament was on C4. The jewel in it's crown is obviously the Wimbledon tennis which they have until 2021 I think.

ITV is slightly better. It does show a few of the PDC darts tournaments, it's recently got racing back (not that I'm bothered with that), shows England's qualifiers live, and does share the six nations rugby with the Beeb.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

BT Sport on 10:34 - Mar 7 with 1239 viewsrobith

The BBC has had to lose the sports because of the political pressure on its budgets - can you imagine the outcry if the Beeb just bid £1.2bn on CL football?
BT Sport on 10:34 - Mar 7 with 1236 viewsfrancisbowles

BT Sport on 09:44 - Mar 7 by daveB

It's in the games interest to be on terrestrial tv, more people watch the Premier League on Match of the Day than they do on Sky. If Match of the Day went to BT for example and you had no terrestrial highlights then the Premier League would start to struggle

Good points DaveB. I hope those that negotiate this have the same opinions.
BT Sport on 10:36 - Mar 7 with 1220 viewsdaveB

Not entirely true. Although ITV do show a fair bit of reality stuff we also have some excellent dramas and ITV show plenty of sport such as Horse racing, cycling, tennis, Darts, Snooker, Superbikes plus Champions League and Europa highlights, Rugby Premiership highlights, bundesliga highlights, Six nations, England games and FA Youth Cup.

You can tell i work for them
BT Sport on 10:37 - Mar 7 with 1214 viewsrobith

Yep, also the evidence shows subscription sports restrict the audience exposed (Sky losing viewers year after year, BT has been completely flat since launch) which impacts interest and participation levels. All sports are sacrificing short term fiscal gain for longer term issues
Login to get fewer ads

BT Sport on 10:37 - Mar 7 with 1214 viewsfrancisbowles

I think, it still has athletics. The European indoors were on this weekend just gone.
BT Sport on 10:52 - Mar 7 with 1189 viewsbob566

BT Sport on 10:36 - Mar 7 by daveB

Not entirely true. Although ITV do show a fair bit of reality stuff we also have some excellent dramas and ITV show plenty of sport such as Horse racing, cycling, tennis, Darts, Snooker, Superbikes plus Champions League and Europa highlights, Rugby Premiership highlights, bundesliga highlights, Six nations, England games and FA Youth Cup.

You can tell i work for them

thought you were a sky employee Dave. Are any of those going out live Dave or are they highlights programs out of hours?

I wonder why BBC and ITV both show live tennis. Is it cheap as chips to air Dave? I would have thought Federer, murray, nadal, Williams sisters are some of the biggest sports stars in the world.
BT Sport on 17:06 - Mar 7 with 1035 viewsdaveB

BT Sport on 10:52 - Mar 7 by bob566

thought you were a sky employee Dave. Are any of those going out live Dave or are they highlights programs out of hours?

I wonder why BBC and ITV both show live tennis. Is it cheap as chips to air Dave? I would have thought Federer, murray, nadal, Williams sisters are some of the biggest sports stars in the world.

left Sky a few years ago which helped my soul.

A lot of it is live apart from the football, we've even had Boxing on recently as well.

Most sport is sold by competition so things like Darts, Tennis and Snooker which have a different tournament every fortnight is more split across the channels as it's more difficult to buy everything whilst the big sports like football, Cricket and Rugby it's only 2/3 competitions up for sale so easier for Sky and BT to get the exclusive rights by outbidding everyone.

A few sporting events are still protected for terrestrial tv but not many these days, think it's just the Olympics, 6 Nations, World Cup, Grand national, Wimbledon and the FA Cup and that will probably change one day
BT Sport on 17:54 - Mar 7 with 978 viewsRangersw12

BT Sport on 17:06 - Mar 7 by daveB

left Sky a few years ago which helped my soul.

A lot of it is live apart from the football, we've even had Boxing on recently as well.

Most sport is sold by competition so things like Darts, Tennis and Snooker which have a different tournament every fortnight is more split across the channels as it's more difficult to buy everything whilst the big sports like football, Cricket and Rugby it's only 2/3 competitions up for sale so easier for Sky and BT to get the exclusive rights by outbidding everyone.

A few sporting events are still protected for terrestrial tv but not many these days, think it's just the Olympics, 6 Nations, World Cup, Grand national, Wimbledon and the FA Cup and that will probably change one day

I thought the home Ashes series was being added back to that list ?

I know BT have the away Ashes for the time being
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024