Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gallen Speaks 14:31 - Oct 8 with 18824 viewsGaryHaddock

Gallen Speaks on 14:37 - Oct 8 with 9284 viewssparkey

I've never known someone so desperate to be proven right.

Almost like he's enjoying seeing us struggle, it's really weird
Gallen Speaks on 15:08 - Oct 8 with 9128 viewsTK1

Hard to disagree with any of that, though, unless you're an 18-year-old FM nerd who thinks every new European club-player we're linked with is better than the last despite never having seen (or heard) of them before, but still posts on X things like "League ain't ready for what Nourry is cooking" and so forth. QPR 1 Hull City 3.

The signings look very unbalanced. You can have one or two assimilate slowly in a Championship season, perhaps. Six or seven is asking for trouble.

Saw some very active kid on X bawling that Kevin Gallen "was some kind of legend apparently but is trashing that with the fanbase" because KG said Madsen was rubbish or something. Kevin Gallen: 96 goals in 400 appearances across three divisions, promotion winner, scored winners v Chelsea, Arsenal etc etc no longer a QPR legend because he doesn't think the summer signings have been very good.

Saw Jimmy Dunne in Soho yesterday, shook his hand. "Well done on recognising me!" Said we'll be fine. Then went to the Coach and Horses and Scott Twine and Luke McNally of Bristol City were outside having pints of Guinness and cider....
Gallen Speaks on 15:28 - Oct 8 with 8911 viewsstainrods_elbow

Gallen Speaks on 14:37 - Oct 8 by sparkey

Don't see that - I think he's grimly concerned, as many of us are. Perhaps if he were on the coaching staff, we'd have more balanced recruitment. Marti and Calm have precious little Champ experience too, and, though I agree MC has promise as a manager, and is still in credit from last season, I think it's clear he's learning on the job.

If we slung Magic Hat's chubbing-up bod back up front right now, I reckon he'd still score more than Celar and Frey will manage between them this season, sadly.

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Gallen Speaks on 15:38 - Oct 8 with 8946 viewsaston_hoop

Pedantic but we started the season with Dunne, Cook, Clarke-Salter, Paal, Field, Colback and Smyth in the team, all with plenty of Championship experience. Even in the last game, our entire back 4 had played previously in the Championship along with a bunch of others.

I also think the idea of 'Championship experience' being necessary is vastly overrated. Its a piss poor league and good players are good players. It doesn't really require a vastly different skillset I don't think, plenty of teams thrive with these types of signings.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Gallen Speaks on 15:39 - Oct 8 with 8937 viewsNorthernr

Gallen Speaks on 15:08 - Oct 8 by TK1

Hard to disagree with any of that, though, unless you're an 18-year-old FM nerd who thinks every new European club-player we're linked with is better than the last despite never having seen (or heard) of them before, but still posts on X things like "League ain't ready for what Nourry is cooking" and so forth. QPR 1 Hull City 3.

The signings look very unbalanced. You can have one or two assimilate slowly in a Championship season, perhaps. Six or seven is asking for trouble.

Saw some very active kid on X bawling that Kevin Gallen "was some kind of legend apparently but is trashing that with the fanbase" because KG said Madsen was rubbish or something. Kevin Gallen: 96 goals in 400 appearances across three divisions, promotion winner, scored winners v Chelsea, Arsenal etc etc no longer a QPR legend because he doesn't think the summer signings have been very good.

Saw Jimmy Dunne in Soho yesterday, shook his hand. "Well done on recognising me!" Said we'll be fine. Then went to the Coach and Horses and Scott Twine and Luke McNally of Bristol City were outside having pints of Guinness and cider....

#bring
Gallen Speaks on 15:50 - Oct 8 with 8837 viewsdaveB

Gallen Speaks on 15:38 - Oct 8 by aston_hoop

Pedantic but we started the season with Dunne, Cook, Clarke-Salter, Paal, Field, Colback and Smyth in the team, all with plenty of Championship experience. Even in the last game, our entire back 4 had played previously in the Championship along with a bunch of others.

I also think the idea of 'Championship experience' being necessary is vastly overrated. Its a piss poor league and good players are good players. It doesn't really require a vastly different skillset I don't think, plenty of teams thrive with these types of signings.

I can't watch the video at work but I assume he means the new signings have no championship experience
Gallen Speaks on 15:53 - Oct 8 with 8817 viewsTK1

But we didn't sign anyone with know-how in this league - that's clearly been a problem these past weeks. That's surely not a debate?

Saito, Madsen, Dembele, Varane, Celar, maybe Santos (if he ever gets that far) each with 50 Championship appearances under their belts are gonna be significantly different propositions than any of them are now with five or so appearances each, all playing together, all finding their feet at the same time. I like the look of all these players individually to varying degrees - I just don't like the look of them all at once right now. And right now, we haven't won at home this season and have just lost three in a row with barely a whimper.

This doesn't need to be a culture war issue. We're not winning games and we're playing badly. There's a reason or two that most can broadly agree on, no?

There's a lot of talk about Hayden being the magic fix. Possibly would help, but expensive and with history. Instead of signing Varane and Madsen, though, how much better would this team be if a Whiteman or Mowatt had been signed (both unlikely, but we need that know-how centrally)? We clearly spent on Madsen, Celar, Varane: maybe we could've sacrificied one for a box-ready midfielder.
Gallen Speaks on 15:58 - Oct 8 with 8639 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Kevin and his family love QPR to bits. He's just telling it as it is. Given the current form and poor performances of the summer signings (Nardi aside), it's hard to argue against.

Pretending everything is rosy just to curry favour with certain fans who don't like a bit of constructive criticism. Now that would be weird, delusional even.
Login to get fewer ads

Gallen Speaks on 16:00 - Oct 8 with 8704 viewsaston_hoop

Again, I still don't see why it matters if they do have experience or don't. The Championship isn't some mythical beast, its just a second tier football league. Some of the new signings who never played at this level hit the ground running - Nardi, Andersen last season, Paal. Some of the players we've signed with a ton of experience in the last few years have looked below average to begin with - Colback, Lowe, Ty. Roberts. I genuinely don't think it matters. Experience is not a guarantee of success and inexperience does not guarantee a slow start. Maybe I'm being overly contrarian, but I don't think it needs to be the issue.

Gallen Speaks on 16:09 - Oct 8 with 8631 viewssparkey

Gallen Speaks on 15:58 - Oct 8 by Benny_the_Ball

Kevin and his family love QPR to bits. He's just telling it as it is. Given the current form and poor performances of the summer signings (Nardi aside), it's hard to argue against.

Pretending everything is rosy just to curry favour with certain fans who don't like a bit of constructive criticism. Now that would be weird, delusional even.

I totally understand and know he does care about the club.

The only thing I am struggling to understand is never once was he happy or gave praise to Marti last season, but after starting this season poorly it is 'HA! Told you!'

There has to be a balance, you cannot be silent when it's going well, and pile one when there is concern. Just like how these twitter #bring boys can't accept that things are bad at the minute and there is legitimate concern.
Gallen Speaks on 16:24 - Oct 8 with 8539 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Seems fair enough, certainly doesn't seem to be gloating. I don't think anyone thought we would start this badly, but perhaps we should of been looking at past Coventry and Brentford seasons when they did the same thought of thing.

In hindsight, we probably should have tried to get Hayden. But, that's why it's a wonderful thing.
Gallen Speaks on 16:41 - Oct 8 with 8396 viewsTK1

Gallen Speaks on 16:00 - Oct 8 by aston_hoop

Again, I still don't see why it matters if they do have experience or don't. The Championship isn't some mythical beast, its just a second tier football league. Some of the new signings who never played at this level hit the ground running - Nardi, Andersen last season, Paal. Some of the players we've signed with a ton of experience in the last few years have looked below average to begin with - Colback, Lowe, Ty. Roberts. I genuinely don't think it matters. Experience is not a guarantee of success and inexperience does not guarantee a slow start. Maybe I'm being overly contrarian, but I don't think it needs to be the issue.

Surely, surely you can see it's an issue right now with the players we've assembled? Nourry himself said it'll take time and we need to be patient with these players as they assimilate - I think that massively underestimates the journey the fans have been on ove the last three years.

I think there's something in both Varane and Madsen - but at once? It's clearly a huge risk that's cost several million quid and not worked yet. Sunderland looked at their young and very talented squad in the summer and decided what they need was Alan Browne with his 390 Championship appearances to help the likes of Rigg along. This is not controversial! A winning Championship squad needs a bit of Shaun Derry as well as Ali Faurlin and Adel Tarrabt.
Gallen Speaks on 16:45 - Oct 8 with 8357 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Maybe if we could afford the transfer fees and wages of similar players based in the Championship we'd have gone for them.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Gallen Speaks on 16:51 - Oct 8 with 8296 viewsTK1

Gallen Speaks on 16:45 - Oct 8 by BrianMcCarthy

Maybe if we could afford the transfer fees and wages of similar players based in the Championship we'd have gone for them.

Browne was a free transfer. Madsen/Varane were not. Celar was not. I mean, come on: we're paying fees. This is very different to last season.
It's clearly a policy to look for value with younger players from abroad. No problem with that, but we look to be fundamentalists with this approach and are now witness to the risks in that.
Gallen Speaks on 16:55 - Oct 8 with 8250 viewsaston_hoop

Gallen Speaks on 16:41 - Oct 8 by TK1

Surely, surely you can see it's an issue right now with the players we've assembled? Nourry himself said it'll take time and we need to be patient with these players as they assimilate - I think that massively underestimates the journey the fans have been on ove the last three years.

I think there's something in both Varane and Madsen - but at once? It's clearly a huge risk that's cost several million quid and not worked yet. Sunderland looked at their young and very talented squad in the summer and decided what they need was Alan Browne with his 390 Championship appearances to help the likes of Rigg along. This is not controversial! A winning Championship squad needs a bit of Shaun Derry as well as Ali Faurlin and Adel Tarrabt.

I'm going to die on this hill genuinely. Varane and Madsen have not been starting together much at the base of midfield, they've been starting with Sam Field and his 200-ish appearances or Jack Colback and his many many more. Sunderland signed Alan Browne and have used him sparingly because the young players are playing well in a system that suits them but crucially the senior pros (mostly O'Nien) are setting the standards. A bit of Shaun Derry in the squad is surely what Colback is for? Plus for that we have Steve Cook, Jimmy Dunne, even Lucas Andersen - Cook, Dunne and Colback have all been every bit as poor as the new signings in this sense. Maybe a little harsh on Colback, but Dunne as a centre back is just not right and Cook has been a shadow of the player he is. Field also just doesn't look comfortable at all, none of this is due to the new signings but if they did happen to step up and set the example, maybe the new signings would have more of a chance to follow. So really, I don't think the issue has to be the new signings.

Gallen Speaks on 16:56 - Oct 8 with 8241 viewsNorthernr

I think we've actually laid out a fair bit of money this summer by our standards. Varane, Madsen, Dembele, Morrison, Celar, Bennie have all commanded a fee. I doubt the City football group have handed Saito over for buttons. TransferMarkt pitches it around ÂŁ6m.
Gallen Speaks on 17:02 - Oct 8 with 8103 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Gallen Speaks on 16:09 - Oct 8 by sparkey

I totally understand and know he does care about the club.

The only thing I am struggling to understand is never once was he happy or gave praise to Marti last season, but after starting this season poorly it is 'HA! Told you!'

There has to be a balance, you cannot be silent when it's going well, and pile one when there is concern. Just like how these twitter #bring boys can't accept that things are bad at the minute and there is legitimate concern.

Funny that, I remember him giving Marti credit when it was due. Maybe you just saw the critical interviews. In any event, whilst balance is important, I wouldn't describe last season as "going well". We were walking a tightrope right up until the Leeds result. That's not Marti's fault because he was given a mountain to climb but it's difficult for any fan to feel positive when the team spends the majority of the season in and around the bottom 3.
Gallen Speaks on 17:24 - Oct 8 with 7914 viewsstevec

Morrison aside the new intake simply can’t handle the physicality of this league.

I’m not sure how ‘bedding in’ is supposed to get them over this obstacle.
Gallen Speaks on 17:25 - Oct 8 with 7988 viewsJuzzie

Out of 24 clubs in the Championship, our ground has the 21st lowest capacity and is one of four that is under 20k.

Is this FFP coming home to roost? In that we just cannot generate enough ticket income to be able to acquire better players?

If you take all four divisions as a whole, LR is 51st which would put us League 1.
We know football doesn't quite work like that, Brentford & Bournemouth (both smaller than LR) do buck this trend, but I hope you get the jist.

Are we simply now in a place where we just cannot compete much higher than we are already at, at best?
Gallen Speaks on 17:28 - Oct 8 with 7962 viewsTK1

Gallen Speaks on 16:55 - Oct 8 by aston_hoop

I'm going to die on this hill genuinely. Varane and Madsen have not been starting together much at the base of midfield, they've been starting with Sam Field and his 200-ish appearances or Jack Colback and his many many more. Sunderland signed Alan Browne and have used him sparingly because the young players are playing well in a system that suits them but crucially the senior pros (mostly O'Nien) are setting the standards. A bit of Shaun Derry in the squad is surely what Colback is for? Plus for that we have Steve Cook, Jimmy Dunne, even Lucas Andersen - Cook, Dunne and Colback have all been every bit as poor as the new signings in this sense. Maybe a little harsh on Colback, but Dunne as a centre back is just not right and Cook has been a shadow of the player he is. Field also just doesn't look comfortable at all, none of this is due to the new signings but if they did happen to step up and set the example, maybe the new signings would have more of a chance to follow. So really, I don't think the issue has to be the new signings.

I largely agree with you. We looked decent at Luton with Colback and Field (who both had good games), Cook was good too, and we have looked bereft subsequently without that foundation and JCS. Chair for Lloyd of that starting eleven is our best possible team though, so we better hope for no more injuries as we look weak without key experienced players. Field cannot win a midfield alone, that was never the plan, and the new signings (plus Anderson) are not winning midfield alongside him. That's the big problem for me: the midfield signings were very risky and not cheap.
But fair enough, you're on the hill that the new signings are gelling fine, something else is wrong. I agree with Kevin Gallen who - perhaps based on his several hundred Championship games often in absolutely batsht QPR squads - was worried about the summer signings and felt we needed one or two with Championship experience. Who knows? Maybe we're both right. Probably are to a degree.

Nothing we can do about it now anyway, until at least January. I'm sure it'll be fine eventually (I actually do).
Gallen Speaks on 17:44 - Oct 8 with 7836 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Gallen Speaks on 16:51 - Oct 8 by TK1

Browne was a free transfer. Madsen/Varane were not. Celar was not. I mean, come on: we're paying fees. This is very different to last season.
It's clearly a policy to look for value with younger players from abroad. No problem with that, but we look to be fundamentalists with this approach and are now witness to the risks in that.

I'm not taking sides on this, TK1, just posing a question.

Gallen's only saying what we're all saying/wondering. I'm not saying I know whether he's right or wrong. Just wondering if we could have got ten players of similar attributes from the Championship.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Gallen Speaks on 17:46 - Oct 8 with 7815 viewsmart_Goblin

Utter nonsense .

Although I think he has an axe to grind with previous owners/ CEO’s / hierarchy due to how badly he and some of his family have been treated over the years , I can tell you that he wants to see us winning and succeeding as much as any of us here .

He is just saying it like it is .
Maybe other ‘ex pros’s’ should be telling some home truths ?
Gallen Speaks on 17:52 - Oct 8 with 7752 viewsQPunkR

Gallen Speaks on 17:44 - Oct 8 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm not taking sides on this, TK1, just posing a question.

Gallen's only saying what we're all saying/wondering. I'm not saying I know whether he's right or wrong. Just wondering if we could have got ten players of similar attributes from the Championship.

Would've cost far more getting in the same number of similar players from Championship clubs rather than from foreign, though

QPR - "shit but local"

Gallen Speaks on 17:57 - Oct 8 with 7691 viewsmart_Goblin

Valid point and don’t disagree entirely but if you are expecting Colback, Field, Cook , JCS etc to be always be available then you are setting up to fail.
Drip feeding players in is ok, but en masse is likely to cause problems .

It’s like any job in the world. Experience is relied upon in the main .
You don’t need it, but it certainly helps.

Kevin’s not said that’s the only problem either. It’s just one factor .
Gallen Speaks on 19:21 - Oct 8 with 6997 viewsGaryHaddock

‘is this FFP coming home to roost? In that we just cannot generate enough ticket income to be able to acquire better players’

The absolute nub of it in my opinion. All the corporate bullshit and internal shenanigans in the world won’t change that.

The duty of the CEO, and everyone at the club including us, is to be as organised, efficient, and supportive as we can be.

See Brentford for details.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024