Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That sinking feeling again – Report 23:51 - Oct 6 with 10233 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/63114
That sinking feeling again – Report on 06:04 - Oct 7 with 6478 viewsPaddyhoops

I see you dropped this 11.50 last night .
Shame our players don’t show the same dedication.
The least we ask for when we travel in our thousands is for them to put themselves about . We didn’t even get that .
We were debating on the journey home if it might not be a bad thing to drop a division just to win a few games of football and get some momentum going .
We seem to be in an endless cycle of fighting relegation now .
Not what I or what anybody else wants but Christ it’s been hard work the last few years.
That sinking feeling again – Report on 06:59 - Oct 7 with 6220 viewsGus_iom

Awful, but the unlubed 'giant dildo of consequence ' sent me to work chuckling
[Post edited 7 Oct 20:14]
That sinking feeling again – Report on 07:27 - Oct 7 with 6104 viewsngbqpr

I’d be genuinely interested to know what everyone was thinking at half time. Was it just me thinking ‘pretty decent away performance so far, a couple of scary moments but we’ve battled to a rare clean sheet, and while not really creating enough clear chances, we’re getting the ball forward a lot quicker and have made Derby work for their clean sheet. 0-0 about right so far.’

10 minutes into the second half we threw that away with two criminally conceded goals and it was game over. Marti changed the shape and I thought that was a good call, but the damage was done and while chasing the game Nardi kept the score down at our end.

But I still feel that 90 seconds of madness cost us in an otherwise pretty even game.

Yes ever since his MotM performance v WBA, Andersen has been shocking, yes Madsen was anonymous yet again, yes we couldn’t be without three more important players, yes it’s worrying how only Nardi of the new signings has hit the ground at any sort of pace, and yes I fear a loss of confidence that could lead to a relegation battle. This is when we find out how good Marti really is.

But I was surprised by the vitriol around me at full time, and am surprised this report suggests a one-sided game. I agree it was a match of contrasting styles and their style won the day. But I did still feel our old friend ‘fine margins’ had a role to play…as I say, what was everyone thinking at half time?

I was quite amused / irritated by the BBC report. Opening para said Derby enjoyed a “dominant win over an insipid QPR”. However, the bit clearly written mostly at half time said “while QPR were menacing going forward in the first half, with the creativity of Dembele to the fore, and had a spell on top in the closing stages, they looked far from comfortable at the back throughout.” The dominant / insipid line made for the sexier opening, but I felt the other para was more measured.

I’m not saying we don’t have major concerns, far from it. But for me this wasn’t one of those tipping point games - some of the boos / anger at half time suggest for many it was.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

That sinking feeling again – Report on 07:28 - Oct 7 with 6100 viewsthehat

Thanks Clive - You have note for note captured our conversations on the train home from Derby. We gave Madsen a score of 1 and that was for getting his boots on the right feet, however thinking about how he played I'm not even sure he managed to do that correctly.

We travelled back with some Millwall fans who were disappointed they only managed a 0 v 0 at West Brom. "loads of grit but no creativity" was their summery.

"You don't know how lucky you are" was the overall response from us poor sods amongst them.
[Post edited 7 Oct 7:29]
That sinking feeling again – Report on 07:46 - Oct 7 with 6018 viewsmart_Goblin

The dildo of consequence rarely arrives lubed.

Well that’s line of the season sorted . Laughing to myself at Balham station like a lunatic .

Lots of anger in there too and I think that captures the mood .
That sinking feeling again – Report on 07:49 - Oct 7 with 5987 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Great report, and I can read the anger coming through!

I keep saying to my son that you have to earn the right to play your football. However, we seem to appear genuinely shocked when the opposition have the gall to put a challenge in, or heaven forbid, get physical.
We look like we play the game almost as a training ground match. We have a go, you have go. Tell you what, get your foot in and be prepared to get hurt.
That sinking feeling again – Report on 08:22 - Oct 7 with 5829 viewsNoelmc

Thanks Clive. It must have been tough writing this one.

Your paragraph written around the line ‘ the club that likes to talk the talk more than almost any other has once more been taken in by somebody with great chat’ perfectly sums up the Club since the Malaysian ownership took over. Very worrying.
That sinking feeling again – Report on 08:23 - Oct 7 with 5804 viewsstevec

Spot on. Like I say, the EFL is Woodwork O Level stuff. Holloway got it, Warnock got it. And it’s a damn sight more fun to watch.

I know the last remaining excuse for this lot is a couple of opposition goalkeeping performances but I wouldn’t get too carried away on that one. Some very good saves but all reachable and stoppable for this level of keeper. As for the worldies against, no pressure on the ball allows good players to place in the corners where goalies don’t get down to.

I’m looking forward to two weeks of not having to watch this side.
Login to get fewer ads

That sinking feeling again – Report on 08:44 - Oct 7 with 5707 viewsNorthernr

That sinking feeling again – Report on 07:27 - Oct 7 by ngbqpr

I’d be genuinely interested to know what everyone was thinking at half time. Was it just me thinking ‘pretty decent away performance so far, a couple of scary moments but we’ve battled to a rare clean sheet, and while not really creating enough clear chances, we’re getting the ball forward a lot quicker and have made Derby work for their clean sheet. 0-0 about right so far.’

10 minutes into the second half we threw that away with two criminally conceded goals and it was game over. Marti changed the shape and I thought that was a good call, but the damage was done and while chasing the game Nardi kept the score down at our end.

But I still feel that 90 seconds of madness cost us in an otherwise pretty even game.

Yes ever since his MotM performance v WBA, Andersen has been shocking, yes Madsen was anonymous yet again, yes we couldn’t be without three more important players, yes it’s worrying how only Nardi of the new signings has hit the ground at any sort of pace, and yes I fear a loss of confidence that could lead to a relegation battle. This is when we find out how good Marti really is.

But I was surprised by the vitriol around me at full time, and am surprised this report suggests a one-sided game. I agree it was a match of contrasting styles and their style won the day. But I did still feel our old friend ‘fine margins’ had a role to play…as I say, what was everyone thinking at half time?

I was quite amused / irritated by the BBC report. Opening para said Derby enjoyed a “dominant win over an insipid QPR”. However, the bit clearly written mostly at half time said “while QPR were menacing going forward in the first half, with the creativity of Dembele to the fore, and had a spell on top in the closing stages, they looked far from comfortable at the back throughout.” The dominant / insipid line made for the sexier opening, but I felt the other para was more measured.

I’m not saying we don’t have major concerns, far from it. But for me this wasn’t one of those tipping point games - some of the boos / anger at half time suggest for many it was.

I would say...
1 - who have we been beaten by? A pretty mediocre side.
2 - how have they beaten us? By just doing basic stuff that we should be more than capable of competing with.
3 - Only really Nardi has stopped us being beaten by a lot more.
4 - How many saves did their keeper make? One from Field at the end?
5 - We're a boring watch.
That sinking feeling again – Report on 08:57 - Oct 7 with 5642 viewsQPROslo

That sinking feeling again – Report on 08:44 - Oct 7 by Northernr

I would say...
2 - how have they beaten us? By just doing basic stuff that we should be more than capable of competing with.

Their Keeper also made an excellent save from Dembele's hard, swurving shot from distance first half. The ball looked like it was curling to his left initially and he went that way, but recovered very well to get a finger to it and tip it over when the ball swung off to his right. So 2 decent or better saves. But we'd have been a goal up if Dembele's had gone in and possibly a totally different game and mood all round. Dembele has been unlucky to still be without a goal I think.
That sinking feeling again – Report on 09:00 - Oct 7 with 5628 viewsderbyhoop

I thought the "insipid" adjective was more or less perfect. Maybe a fraction too kind.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

That sinking feeling again – Report on 09:51 - Oct 7 with 5331 viewsBluce_Ree

"I’d still be checking the hard drive of anybody who brings a drum to a football game."

HA!

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

That sinking feeling again – Report on 09:56 - Oct 7 with 5300 viewsTheChef

As ever it's always feast or famine with football fans these days. A couple of wins and we're play off material. A couple of defeats and we're doomed to relegation.

It's a very long season.

The manager and players have two weeks to sort it out, added to that we have JCS and Colback to come back and Chair to get back to full fitness. Let's trust them to find a way.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

That sinking feeling again – Report on 09:59 - Oct 7 with 5281 viewsterryb

I watched the game on a stream & agreed with nearly every word that you wrote. Once again, I can only remember one attempt at goal inside the penalty area. And that was on 90 minutes!

There was a difference at the start of the match though. It appeared to me that Andersen started on the right & Dembele in the middle. They changed over after 10-15 minutes & that was the end of any chance that we had.

Another change was that Kaito spent the whole of the first half supporting Paal defensively, but was still our best outlet going forward. Not that he ever created anything. Or looked like doing so!

On our right hand side, Jimmy Dunne went forward more in his few minutes at right back, than Santos & Ashby had in the two matches. Losing Clark-Salter & Morrison has cost us dearly. One of those two or Fox must partner Cook against Portsmouth, with Dunne at right back.

Not that this is likely to help us create any goalscoring chances!
That sinking feeling again – Report on 10:00 - Oct 7 with 5268 viewsdaveB

At half time I thought we needed to improve massively to get anything from the game, We looked fragile at the back and in midfield, wide open at times. I thought if things continued as they were we'd lose comfortably.

The boos at the end seemed over the top but for a large bulk of fans it's October and they've not seen us win yet this season apart from the 1000 at Luton, 2 years running now so people are rightly pissed off
That sinking feeling again – Report on 10:02 - Oct 7 with 5219 viewsstainrods_elbow

This is, for me, a more balanced, accurate and less emotive summation (I, uh, know it's me talking). Derby aren't a bad side at all and may well be challenging in the top 6. Clive's report, while legitimately angry with the two goals conceded, omits a much better final 20 minutes, where, if Smyth's shot beats the keeper, or even Field's excellent header goes in late on, it's not inconceivable we could have salvaged it. While they could certainly have had three or four, on another game we might have lost 4-2 or drawn 2-2.

My big beef is why, once again, we only really played properly/purposefully and asserted ourselves for less than a quarter of the game. The opening of the Hull game aside, there are serious questions now for me about Marti and his sidekick's ability to set us up to begin games properly.
[Post edited 7 Oct 10:04]

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

That sinking feeling again – Report on 10:03 - Oct 7 with 5241 viewsNorthernr

That sinking feeling again – Report on 10:00 - Oct 7 by daveB

At half time I thought we needed to improve massively to get anything from the game, We looked fragile at the back and in midfield, wide open at times. I thought if things continued as they were we'd lose comfortably.

The boos at the end seemed over the top but for a large bulk of fans it's October and they've not seen us win yet this season apart from the 1000 at Luton, 2 years running now so people are rightly pissed off

And it's boring. If we were Kevin Keeganing the thing and losing games 4-3 it might be a different matter, but we're a dull watch. Everybody round me on Saturday were familiar faces, they'll have done Derby, Blackburn, Sheff Wed. These are long, expensive trips. And all three games we've been boring. I've been bored standing there watching us.
That sinking feeling again – Report on 10:05 - Oct 7 with 5179 viewsstainrods_elbow

That sinking feeling again – Report on 09:56 - Oct 7 by TheChef

As ever it's always feast or famine with football fans these days. A couple of wins and we're play off material. A couple of defeats and we're doomed to relegation.

It's a very long season.

The manager and players have two weeks to sort it out, added to that we have JCS and Colback to come back and Chair to get back to full fitness. Let's trust them to find a way.

We don't have much choice, so we might as well. That's the lot of the football fan - splenetic and volatile impotence.

That sinking feeling again – Report on 10:15 - Oct 7 with 5155 viewsdaveB

That sinking feeling again – Report on 10:03 - Oct 7 by Northernr

And it's boring. If we were Kevin Keeganing the thing and losing games 4-3 it might be a different matter, but we're a dull watch. Everybody round me on Saturday were familiar faces, they'll have done Derby, Blackburn, Sheff Wed. These are long, expensive trips. And all three games we've been boring. I've been bored standing there watching us.

yeah I do find us boring to watch, already regretting buying Leeds train tickets
That sinking feeling again – Report on 10:18 - Oct 7 with 5089 viewsstainrods_elbow

That sinking feeling again – Report on 10:03 - Oct 7 by Northernr

It;s worse - we're boring, naive and frustrating. We showed what we CAN do vs Hull until it fell apart, and arguably the last 20m v Derby. When we pass the ball and attack in numbers, we look enterprising and promising. So why aren't we?
[Post edited 7 Oct 10:19]

That sinking feeling again – Report on 10:19 - Oct 7 with 5108 viewsNorthernr

That sinking feeling again – Report on 10:15 - Oct 7 by daveB

yeah I do find us boring to watch, already regretting buying Leeds train tickets

Bristol City fans booing a similar style and approach in their game with Cardiff yesterday.
That sinking feeling again – Report on 10:44 - Oct 7 with 4915 viewslassel

That sinking feeling again – Report on 10:19 - Oct 7 by Northernr

Bristol City fans booing a similar style and approach in their game with Cardiff yesterday.

Interestingly Bristol City fans have had 2 threads in 2 weeks on Armstrong asking why the fck they spent £2m on him and are trying to play him as a lone striker when he is demonstrably not a lone striker..
That sinking feeling again – Report on 10:44 - Oct 7 with 4912 viewsngbqpr

That sinking feeling again – Report on 08:44 - Oct 7 by Northernr

I would say...

Without really wishing to go tit for tat on the train to Pedant Central, I would say in reply:

1 - shorn of our two best players (based on market value but expect few would disagree) and one of our two 'wise old heads', we're mediocre, and we knew that when the season started
2 - I stick by my 'two contrasting styles' point, and my belief that they beat us primarily due to a mad 90 seconds
3 - Nardi's two 'wow' saves came when we'd gone gung ho (ok, all things are relative)
4 - Dembele first half shot (tho granted we certainly didn't test him enough)
5 - Wednesday was a boring watch. Millwall at home we pisballed about in our own half. Blackburn was the one away I've missed but my son's feedback / your report I'm well aware was dire. But first half on Sat? I wasn't bored. Enthralled, no. But satisfied with a half that was way more purposeful than Weds & Ewood? Yes.

On a side note, one of my son's best mates is a Derby ST holder, and the two of them persuaded a bunch of uni mates to attend as neutrals - half sat in the home. end and half sat in the away. Their neutral consensus was the first half (the main point of my argument) was even. Interestingly, they all thought Frey was shocking.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

That sinking feeling again – Report on 10:59 - Oct 7 with 4796 viewsstainrods_elbow

That sinking feeling again – Report on 10:44 - Oct 7 by ngbqpr

Without really wishing to go tit for tat on the train to Pedant Central, I would say in reply:

1 - shorn of our two best players (based on market value but expect few would disagree) and one of our two 'wise old heads', we're mediocre, and we knew that when the season started
2 - I stick by my 'two contrasting styles' point, and my belief that they beat us primarily due to a mad 90 seconds
3 - Nardi's two 'wow' saves came when we'd gone gung ho (ok, all things are relative)
4 - Dembele first half shot (tho granted we certainly didn't test him enough)
5 - Wednesday was a boring watch. Millwall at home we pisballed about in our own half. Blackburn was the one away I've missed but my son's feedback / your report I'm well aware was dire. But first half on Sat? I wasn't bored. Enthralled, no. But satisfied with a half that was way more purposeful than Weds & Ewood? Yes.

On a side note, one of my son's best mates is a Derby ST holder, and the two of them persuaded a bunch of uni mates to attend as neutrals - half sat in the home. end and half sat in the away. Their neutral consensus was the first half (the main point of my argument) was even. Interestingly, they all thought Frey was shocking.

Lest we stop the truth getting in the way of a good (bad) story, we had similar possession to them by the end of the game, 3 decent on-target efforts compared to their 5 (Dembele, Smyth, and Field), and actually marginally exceeded their goak attempts (11 to 10), so saying it's all doom and gloom is a bit masochistic imo.

We now have a ridiculous 5 of our next 7 games at home, starting with Portsmouth in a fornight, so we'll know a lot more by the end of November. Win at least 3 of those, and we'll be in a better place.

That sinking feeling again – Report on 11:01 - Oct 7 with 4795 viewsTheChef

That sinking feeling again – Report on 10:59 - Oct 7 by stainrods_elbow

Lest we stop the truth getting in the way of a good (bad) story, we had similar possession to them by the end of the game, 3 decent on-target efforts compared to their 5 (Dembele, Smyth, and Field), and actually marginally exceeded their goak attempts (11 to 10), so saying it's all doom and gloom is a bit masochistic imo.

We now have a ridiculous 5 of our next 7 games at home, starting with Portsmouth in a fornight, so we'll know a lot more by the end of November. Win at least 3 of those, and we'll be in a better place.

Yes agreed let's see where we are then. Next couple of weeks on the training ground and getting those key players fit will be important.

Mind you, historically we do so well in November

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024