Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cifuentes post-Fakes 20:15 - Jul 27 with 8947 viewsstainrods_elbow

I didn't see the game today, but the extreme polarity between the relaxed interviews with the manager and Smyth on the Offish and the verdicts of some of those on here (i.e. us fantatics, reactionaries, and non-experts posing as experts) is noteworthy to say the least.

That said, the manager's bland segue in the same breath from 'we didn't show the difference in quality' to 'we can take a lot of positives' I find faintly alarming. The whole interview looks staged to me, as if the 'upbeat' narrative were prescribed in advance. The interviewer couldn't be less probing if were a decommissioned lunar module!

It's also bizarre the way some say neither results nor performances matter a jot in these games, and it's just about getting 'minutes in the legs'. Why not just go for a run round Battersea Park with a ball for the afternoon if that's the case?

Some people might look happy, but a-clappy I am not!
[Post edited 27 Jul 20:17]

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Cifuentes post-Fakes on 20:35 - Jul 27 with 5583 viewssdm1508

It's a club interview. If course it is going to have a particular narrative. I also love how if we don't subscribe to your pessimistic view we are happy clappers. Maybe, just maybe, us hakoy clappers remember the job the manager did with this team last year and trust he know what he is doing and what he is trying to get out of these matches. Although this is not the case. A manager might use a game to focus on attacking patterns of play and then another game work in defensive structure. But yes, let's say we are doomed, whilst still in pre season. That works
Cifuentes post-Fakes on 20:38 - Jul 27 with 5558 viewsHAYESBOY

In terms of that game today, we were in control of the game for 80% bar the first 10 mins and then a couple of spells in the second half.
What is worrying is our lack of creativity without Chair. We worked the ball well several times but our final ball, decision making was poor. Their keeper made a couple of good saves from Lloyd and Frey. Smyth rattled the bar with it nearly bouncing in. Their goal was a shocker from Paal who tried to chest back a long diagonal ball and he sort of just fell towards the ball and laid it on for the winger behind him perfectly to slot past Nardi who for long periods of the game was a bystander.
It certainly is nowhere near Oxford last year but we are short of at least 3 players.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Cifuentes post-Fakes on 20:41 - Jul 27 with 5541 viewsstainrods_elbow

Cifuentes post-Fakes on 20:35 - Jul 27 by sdm1508

It's a club interview. If course it is going to have a particular narrative. I also love how if we don't subscribe to your pessimistic view we are happy clappers. Maybe, just maybe, us hakoy clappers remember the job the manager did with this team last year and trust he know what he is doing and what he is trying to get out of these matches. Although this is not the case. A manager might use a game to focus on attacking patterns of play and then another game work in defensive structure. But yes, let's say we are doomed, whilst still in pre season. That works

Another writer, it seems, who can't/won't read. When did I say we were 'doomed'? Or that people had to share my point of view? I'm rasing one or two concerns on a football message board, so lighten up. And learn to read!

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Cifuentes post-Fakes on 20:58 - Jul 27 with 5434 viewssdm1508

Cifuentes post-Fakes on 20:41 - Jul 27 by stainrods_elbow

Another writer, it seems, who can't/won't read. When did I say we were 'doomed'? Or that people had to share my point of view? I'm rasing one or two concerns on a football message board, so lighten up. And learn to read!

Whilst you don't directly say it the general tone on your posts don't tend to side with optimism or positivity. But whilst I don't look for any little reason to be negative I guess I'm just a happy clapper who can't read
Cifuentes post-Fakes on 21:27 - Jul 27 with 5263 viewsbosh67

Cifuentes post-Fakes on 20:38 - Jul 27 by HAYESBOY

In terms of that game today, we were in control of the game for 80% bar the first 10 mins and then a couple of spells in the second half.
What is worrying is our lack of creativity without Chair. We worked the ball well several times but our final ball, decision making was poor. Their keeper made a couple of good saves from Lloyd and Frey. Smyth rattled the bar with it nearly bouncing in. Their goal was a shocker from Paal who tried to chest back a long diagonal ball and he sort of just fell towards the ball and laid it on for the winger behind him perfectly to slot past Nardi who for long periods of the game was a bystander.
It certainly is nowhere near Oxford last year but we are short of at least 3 players.

I agree. I think it shows how light we are. Something like 12/13 out (perhaps more?) and a goalkeeper, forward, future CB and right back in. I don't think we can afford to lose Chair or JCS and we certainly need a Hayden or alike, a left winger and another forward. I wish we could afford Lawrence Shankland. Cesar, Frey and Shankland would probably do us but £3.4m is well beyond us unless Eze goes to City. Blimey we need a left winger though. Seeing everything having to rest on Smyth's shoulders felt like watching Saka down the right for England.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Cifuentes post-Fakes on 21:41 - Jul 27 with 5198 viewssdm1508

Colback looked a bit of the pace today. Amount of time he had the ball and some how turned into trouble
Cifuentes post-Fakes on 09:59 - Jul 28 with 4542 viewsgolborne

Cifuentes post-Fakes on 21:27 - Jul 27 by bosh67

I agree. I think it shows how light we are. Something like 12/13 out (perhaps more?) and a goalkeeper, forward, future CB and right back in. I don't think we can afford to lose Chair or JCS and we certainly need a Hayden or alike, a left winger and another forward. I wish we could afford Lawrence Shankland. Cesar, Frey and Shankland would probably do us but £3.4m is well beyond us unless Eze goes to City. Blimey we need a left winger though. Seeing everything having to rest on Smyth's shoulders felt like watching Saka down the right for England.

Chair plays on the left.
It’s the humongous void vacated by Willock that we desperately need to fill.
Smyth will get into positions based on his pace and willingness to get in behind, but as we saw last season it nearly never results in anything. I mean anything.
If there was one to come in on loan from the top flight, that would be the position I’d try to fill. We don’t have the money to replace a player of Willock’s quality, as tough a pill as that is to swallow for some on here.
His renewed confidence and return to form was instrumental to our improvement in the 2nd half of the season and he leaves a huge gap.
Cifuentes post-Fakes on 16:20 - Jul 28 with 4094 viewsE15Hoop

Cifuentes post-Fakes on 20:41 - Jul 27 by stainrods_elbow

Let's be honest, though, you are definitely a "glass is half empty" kind of fella, aren't you, with a tendency to look for hidden agendas and conspiracies where there aren't any.

I agree with the majority that you are reading a tad too much into this.

As he generally does, I thought Cifuentes summed up the match perfectly and gave a very balanced view both of where we are and where we'll need to be in two weeks' time. I certainly didn;t get the impression of someone who was in denial of where we're currrently short, and in fact here's a link to a West London Sport piece from earlier today which confirms that: https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-need-more-attacking-signings-cifuentes
Login to get fewer ads

Cifuentes post-Fakes on 16:26 - Jul 28 with 4064 viewsLazyFan

Cifuentes post-Fakes on 16:20 - Jul 28 by E15Hoop

Let's be honest, though, you are definitely a "glass is half empty" kind of fella, aren't you, with a tendency to look for hidden agendas and conspiracies where there aren't any.

I agree with the majority that you are reading a tad too much into this.

As he generally does, I thought Cifuentes summed up the match perfectly and gave a very balanced view both of where we are and where we'll need to be in two weeks' time. I certainly didn;t get the impression of someone who was in denial of where we're currrently short, and in fact here's a link to a West London Sport piece from earlier today which confirms that: https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-need-more-attacking-signings-cifuentes

He is quoted as saying it's his fault he played Morrison out of position. Yep it is, as he could have brought Tuck and played him there and let a young un have another run out. Maybe Tuck plays well and we can loan him to the fakes for monies and experience.

I would also like to see Cannon as a 6, as I feel he might be able to do a job there. But I doubt Cannon wants to play there and as we can see Marti said in the press conference that Santos was brought in as a RB. So, that means Cannon is defo out now as he's behind Dunne and Santos.

zzzzzzzzzz

Cifuentes post-Fakes on 17:08 - Jul 28 with 3957 viewskernowhoop

Much of it was sleep-inducing, but we always read too much into pre-season friendlies. What disappointed me, above all, was that there were so few occasions when anyone tried to do something different or exciting. After all, it was a pre-season friendly against what should have been inferior opponents.
Cifuentes post-Fakes on 21:51 - Jul 28 with 3714 viewsRBlock

Hopefully hear a bit more from Marti soon - when's the interview coming Norf? Usually around this time, no? Didn't see the game yesterday but got a rough reaction on the board!
Cifuentes post-Fakes on 22:10 - Jul 28 with 3635 viewsE17hoop

Friendlies are fitness tests and programmes designed to get players to complete a certain number of minutes. Different combinations of players are used and that is purely to test out different formations and get a better view of players in a match setting.

Attaching any significance to the outcome of friendlies is a waste of energy. As was mentioned, we looked good for large parts, hit the woodwork and were, for the most part, the better team.

I'd MUCH prefer to see this now with a couple of weeks to go than on the first day of the season.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

Cifuentes post-Fakes on 23:20 - Jul 28 with 3483 viewsnumptydumpty

He couldn't remember Frey by his name !!!

Taxi for Michi !!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Cifuentes post-Fakes on 00:15 - Jul 29 with 3418 viewsHooping_Mad

Cifuentes post-Fakes on 21:41 - Jul 27 by sdm1508

Colback looked a bit of the pace today. Amount of time he had the ball and some how turned into trouble

Never done it since he's arrived, one of the reasons that Haydon stood out was he could turn with the ball.

We need some quality and pace in the middle, Paal needs competition for his place. I think that would help the forwards immensely.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Cifuentes post-Fakes on 08:05 - Jul 29 with 3213 viewsNorthernr

Cifuentes post-Fakes on 21:51 - Jul 28 by RBlock

Hopefully hear a bit more from Marti soon - when's the interview coming Norf? Usually around this time, no? Didn't see the game yesterday but got a rough reaction on the board!

Well, unfortunately not as it stands.

I sent another email pleading our case so perhaps we'll get something positive back from that, but I sent it last Tuesday and haven't heard yet so I'd say it's not looking likely.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Cifuentes post-Fakes on 08:15 - Jul 29 with 3148 viewsdmm

Cifuentes post-Fakes on 08:05 - Jul 29 by Northernr

Well, unfortunately not as it stands.

I sent another email pleading our case so perhaps we'll get something positive back from that, but I sent it last Tuesday and haven't heard yet so I'd say it's not looking likely.

Do you think this is Cifuentes and/or Nourry's doing?
Cifuentes post-Fakes on 08:20 - Jul 29 with 3124 viewsNorthernr

Cifuentes post-Fakes on 08:15 - Jul 29 by dmm

Do you think this is Cifuentes and/or Nourry's doing?

I doubt Cifuentes is aware TBH.

I was told they want to stress that it's a collaborative effort rather than the manager being the be all and end all. I guess you can understand that after Mick Beale.

It’s a shame as he's unbelievably popular at the moment and it would probably be the most calm and upbeat one of these we've ever done.

Cifuentes post-Fakes on 09:06 - Jul 29 with 2980 viewsStevenageRanger

Will just say that Stevenage (L1) beat Ipswich last year 2-1 in a pre-seaon friendly. They also lost to Cambridge (L1) in another, also 2-1.

Ipswich done alright last season!
Cifuentes post-Fakes on 09:14 - Jul 29 with 2944 viewsdmm

Cifuentes post-Fakes on 08:20 - Jul 29 by Northernr

I was told they want to stress that it's a collaborative effort rather than the manager being the be all and end all. I guess you can understand that after Mick Beale.

It’s a shame as he's unbelievably popular at the moment and it would probably be the most calm and upbeat one of these we've ever done.

Marti wouldn't be Calm. Xavi would.

Sorry - hat, coat etc.
Cifuentes post-Fakes on 09:25 - Jul 29 with 2865 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

This is irritating.

I really look forward to these manager interviews. Feels like we have gone back to the Paliadini days where the club become contemptuous of the fans.

Hope the club reverse the decision.
Cifuentes post-Fakes on 09:37 - Jul 29 with 2815 viewsPhildo

Hmm I think that sort of thing might be ok when things are going well but events can intervene and make things very difficult.

In recent times we have been made aware if x player has a difficult agent or home situation- and it buys some time or compassion.

Having a youthful CEO can change from love this new approach to ‘don’t know what you are doing’ in about 5 adverse results without context and fan engagement.
Cifuentes post-Fakes on 11:38 - Jul 29 with 2569 viewsMole_Senior

For me, Saturday was a classic example of a meaningless friendly; played at a snails pace with zero intensity. I certainly won't be reading too much into this, given how well we played vs. Spurs the previous week.

What irritated me most though, was playing Field and Colback together; hopefully nothing more than given them both minutes?! Neither were able or prepared to play on the half turn and push the team forwards; every pass either going backwards or sideways! I felt like I was watching England all over again!
Cifuentes post-Fakes on 11:40 - Jul 29 with 2561 viewsTheChef

I read this thread as Cifuentes deep fake.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Cifuentes post-Fakes on 12:08 - Jul 29 with 2482 viewsdmm

Cifuentes post-Fakes on 11:40 - Jul 29 by TheChef

I read this thread as Cifuentes deep fake.

You mean he's actually AI generated? I knew it was too good to be true.
Cifuentes post-Fakes on 12:35 - Jul 29 with 2375 viewsaston_hoop

Are the club being honest about that? Or is there possibly more to it, either they are concerned Martí could push to leave so don't want to look daft? Or they are worried he could say something that undermines this unity?

Or am I reading negativity into a positive time for the club....hopefully that.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024