Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Farewell old friend 22:19 - Jul 22 with 4020 viewsBlackCrowe

Had our 15 year old labradoodle put to sleep today. Flipping heck, that's been as bad a day as i've had for a while. Takes a bit to make this old boy shed a tear, but they've been flowing. c.16,500 walks we've taken her on we crudely calculated. The home suddenly feels like a house.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Farewell old friend on 22:27 - Jul 22 with 2843 viewsCiderwithRsie

That's a very good age for a dog and shows that she must have been well cared for and loved.

There comes a time where, as a vet once told me, "if you love this animal you'll let her go now."

I hope the memories give you comfort.
Farewell old friend on 22:27 - Jul 22 with 2846 viewseghamranger

I really feel for you. Lost our Golden overnight a couple of years ago and I still miss him loads now.
15 is a great age and sounds like he had a great life. You are amongst friends here and if you want to shed tears then you shed them.
Farewell old friend on 22:40 - Jul 22 with 2786 viewsBoston

I've had dogs for most of my life, sadly my current companion is nearing eleven and has shown signs of rear leg and hip problems for quite a while, but stoic he is, and we walk 3/4 miles every day. He's a junkie though, gets his dope every day just in case he's in pain. Had to have the one before him put to sleep as his lung capacity was virtually zero, that was a difficult day.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Farewell old friend on 22:55 - Jul 22 with 2735 viewsnumptydumpty

Tough indeed.

Pass on my condolences and dogs especially give unconditional love unlike us stupid humans.

My partner, she has lost two cats to being run over, at a very young age and know how tough that was for her. Sadly she can not have a cat now.

But definitely on a par with a loved family member.

It's different at home, I am sure.

Hope you get comfort from lovely memories.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Farewell old friend on 23:07 - Jul 22 with 2684 viewswombat

Farewell old friend on 22:55 - Jul 22 by numptydumpty

Tough indeed.

Pass on my condolences and dogs especially give unconditional love unlike us stupid humans.

My partner, she has lost two cats to being run over, at a very young age and know how tough that was for her. Sadly she can not have a cat now.

But definitely on a par with a loved family member.

It's different at home, I am sure.

Hope you get comfort from lovely memories.

Worst day of your lives lost two labs close to gather just before lock down ,both rescues both great dogs in there own ways , dela we knew had been pretty much tied up here life before we got her ,was always a nightmare to walk , kasper was the boy slept on my bed every night , he’s usually had more of it than me to be honest , still misss them both now even though we have Stan and Ollie 4 years old lab won’t say it gets easier your never forgot him that’s for sure

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Farewell old friend on 23:26 - Jul 22 with 2642 viewsNed_Kennedys

Ah I feel for you mate, dogs are not just pets, they are a true part of any family.
Just a damn shame they have short lifespans but in their years with us they show such love and commitment.
Farewell old friend on 23:29 - Jul 22 with 2640 viewsted_hendrix

There are no words of comfort.

On the morning we had our Jack Russell (Albert) put to sleep I got On me knees by his basket where he was sleeping and put my hands on his head and said goodbye and went to work he looked at me and I swear to whatever God exists his face and expression said goodbye back.

When I came home that night he was gone, his basket was empty and cold.

Six years now and I can still see him chasing around the garden having fun.

I could come home from work and moan at him about anything and everything and the daft sod would always listen.

He was always there.

We miss him badly

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Farewell old friend on 23:53 - Jul 22 with 2593 viewsSydneyRs

We have two golden retrievers, one is 12 years old. Going to be devastating when the time comes.
Login to get fewer ads

Farewell old friend on 23:58 - Jul 22 with 2581 viewsLblock

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”

My utmost condolences to you and your family
No words can make it any easier but I tried to look it at as I’d been extremely lucky to have had something in my life that meant so much to me that it was the absolute hardest thing in the world to consciously have to say goodbye.

Best decision my wife ever made for me was getting our black Lab and thank God she pushed for our pack to be three plus 2 humans a few years back; sadly we’re now two plus two again.
I still miss the old girl every day - she was a dog in a billion, a real Alpha female as well.

All the best and may your old friend run free over rainbow bridge

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Farewell old friend on 01:17 - Jul 23 with 2518 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Farewell old friend on 23:29 - Jul 22 by ted_hendrix

There are no words of comfort.

On the morning we had our Jack Russell (Albert) put to sleep I got On me knees by his basket where he was sleeping and put my hands on his head and said goodbye and went to work he looked at me and I swear to whatever God exists his face and expression said goodbye back.

When I came home that night he was gone, his basket was empty and cold.

Six years now and I can still see him chasing around the garden having fun.

I could come home from work and moan at him about anything and everything and the daft sod would always listen.

He was always there.

We miss him badly

We have a rescue terrier shiba inu mix who was abused but has totally changed the house for 11 years and counting.Never a finer dog has walked this earth and we have decided as a family to all go together to the vet when the time comes to send on her way to doggy heaven .
She is known at the vets office as a prima madonna right now because she yelps so loud on regular injections she upsets all the other dogs but a few minutes later she is fine.
12 years old now with a life span of 15 max and back hips going but she still runs like the wind and never fails to be scratching the door when I step into the room beside the garage in the evening.
We are all going to lay our hands on her while the first injection is given so she knows tenderness and its our time to repay the affection and love she has given us .
Sorry for your loss BlackCrowe and Ted ,like a woman who rescues abused dogs told me a few weeks back a dog has no hate in their hearts only love
Farewell old friend on 05:15 - Jul 23 with 2449 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Farewell indeed. I could write all day about what cats have added to my life, and echo the sentiments said above and I'm sure below about our shared experiences of our pets.

I think Mrs PH said it best: pets are the happy heartbeats in a home. How we treat animals is often abominable for what they give us back. I look upon the cats I have had and the larakin we have now, as blessings in my life, and I hope blackcrowe you'll feel the same way about your dog, too.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Farewell old friend on 06:12 - Jul 23 with 2420 viewsBluce_Ree

Sorry, PH. That's tough. :(

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Farewell old friend on 07:07 - Jul 23 with 2362 viewsozexile

Farewell old friend on 01:17 - Jul 23 by CLAREMAN1995

We have a rescue terrier shiba inu mix who was abused but has totally changed the house for 11 years and counting.Never a finer dog has walked this earth and we have decided as a family to all go together to the vet when the time comes to send on her way to doggy heaven .
She is known at the vets office as a prima madonna right now because she yelps so loud on regular injections she upsets all the other dogs but a few minutes later she is fine.
12 years old now with a life span of 15 max and back hips going but she still runs like the wind and never fails to be scratching the door when I step into the room beside the garage in the evening.
We are all going to lay our hands on her while the first injection is given so she knows tenderness and its our time to repay the affection and love she has given us .
Sorry for your loss BlackCrowe and Ted ,like a woman who rescues abused dogs told me a few weeks back a dog has no hate in their hearts only love

Beautiful post.
Farewell old friend on 07:15 - Jul 23 with 2344 viewsozexile

Sorry for your loss. I've lost 4 cats which was gut wrenching. Now got an 8 year old staffy and I'll truly be in pieces. Be kind to yourself.
Farewell old friend on 07:30 - Jul 23 with 2316 viewskingsburyR

We lost our beloved Boxer a good few years ago a week before his 13th birthday.

He was the very best of dogs. Great with my first born, never once got agitated when she used to ram him with her walker.

Cancer in the front leg got him. We X-rayed him once a month until the vet said the leg is too weak now it will snap. The decision was made and we walked him into the vets with his tail wagging away.

He sat in my lap while the deed was done. I cried a lot but he fell asleep with the dignity he deserved.

We are so lucky to have pets. Unconditional love. Every house should have one (as long as you treat them right!)

So sorry for you loss BlackCrowe.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Farewell old friend on 07:35 - Jul 23 with 2298 viewsChrisNW6

We lost our 9yr year Welsh Springer to cancer last Sept and the house is not the same. Sorry for your loss, it is truly horrible losing a family dog.
Farewell old friend on 07:49 - Jul 23 with 2261 viewswestberksr

gutted for you, it is simply losing one of the family. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about.

lost my boy a few months ago at the age of 14 and it absolutely broke me. They give so much and the only bad thing about dogs is they simply do not live long enough.

currently breaking in another Weimaraner puppy as the void in the house and my life was too big and I missed that companionship.

sounds like you gave yours a great life and 15 is a fabulous innings (not that it feels it now).
Farewell old friend on 08:14 - Jul 23 with 2219 viewsPhildo

We lost our 11 year old cat in spring which was a terrible loss. He was euthanised at home with the whole family present. He was our friend, sometimes boss and happy companion.

We now have two kittens from a local cat charity and they are a total joy. They are not replacement s as that would be impossible but a new set of friends.
Farewell old friend on 08:54 - Jul 23 with 2146 viewsswitchingcode

Well done mate you gave him a great life 15 years is a very long innings for a lab.Very sad for your loss though these threads do me up so I’ve stopped reading the replies of other dog lovers these days as l end up in tears and think of my own dogs mortality
Farewell old friend on 10:08 - Jul 23 with 1983 viewsSouthAfricanRanger

I feel for you BC and all who have posted. Lost my Bassett in Aug last year. Her and her brother who is 11 now so I guess max 2 years to live, came with us to Brisbane when we emigrated to Aus 9 years ago. They were born in Port Elizabeth, then we moved to Cape Town and then the big trip to Brisbane via Sydney. Also thousands of walks over the years. Could not speak to others about the dog that died for 3 days. It’s hard. But it’s nature and natural and that’s what gives us all the sunshine back even if it takes time. Stay strong. It’s gets better.

DonnieR

Farewell old friend on 11:24 - Jul 23 with 1868 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Farewell old friend on 07:30 - Jul 23 by kingsburyR

We lost our beloved Boxer a good few years ago a week before his 13th birthday.

He was the very best of dogs. Great with my first born, never once got agitated when she used to ram him with her walker.

Cancer in the front leg got him. We X-rayed him once a month until the vet said the leg is too weak now it will snap. The decision was made and we walked him into the vets with his tail wagging away.

He sat in my lap while the deed was done. I cried a lot but he fell asleep with the dignity he deserved.

We are so lucky to have pets. Unconditional love. Every house should have one (as long as you treat them right!)

So sorry for you loss BlackCrowe.

Lost our Boxer 10 years ago to heart syncope which we treated for over a year with meds before the vet told us he would keel over and die at any time. The last long walk to the vet's and holding him as they put him to sleep was one of the worst days of my life, and I bloody lost it when I got home. Wouldn't swap the years we had him for anything, but that last day was tough.

Lord Byron summed it up greatly in his poem "Epitaph to a Dog" for his own dog, and these select lines from the monument it is inscribed upon are so true:

"Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferosity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices."
Farewell old friend on 11:43 - Jul 23 with 1840 viewsKonk

Sorry to hear about your loss, mate. Dogs are absolutely part of the family and leave a huge hole when they've gone.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Farewell old friend on 13:10 - Jul 23 with 1687 viewsqprninja

We lost our Jack Russell about 5 years ago in quite sudden and traumatic circumstances, it still cuts me up to this day. The only way we could fill the gap was get another dog......then another........then another. So we now have three of the little buggers. Can't live without them. Take your time, hope you're ok.
Farewell old friend on 13:19 - Jul 23 with 1674 viewsBlackCrowe

Gosh what a heartbreaker of a thread i've started. Thank you all for your good wishes.

My wife took the knackered old beds, car steps, various blankets to the dump . The guy at the entrance wouldn't let her in without a booking. She explained our dog had just been put down and she couldn't bare seeing the bed etc lying empty and he said 'oh my god love, come straight through and go to the front of the queue'.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Farewell old friend on 13:27 - Jul 23 with 1652 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Farewell old friend on 13:19 - Jul 23 by BlackCrowe

Gosh what a heartbreaker of a thread i've started. Thank you all for your good wishes.

My wife took the knackered old beds, car steps, various blankets to the dump . The guy at the entrance wouldn't let her in without a booking. She explained our dog had just been put down and she couldn't bare seeing the bed etc lying empty and he said 'oh my god love, come straight through and go to the front of the queue'.

The goodness in people is there.

I was back in London a few years ago and took my mum's cat to the vet, where I queued with two other blokes, who had aggressive pitbull type breeds.

Next thing, a couple burst in with their cat who had been hit by a car. The pair were in a terrible state, and straight away all three said, 'Go straight in!' We sat outside talking and saying how we'd struggle if that was our pet. Alas, the poor little thing didn't survive and had to be put down. When the owners came out, not sure who was exhibiting the most emotion and sending love: Pitbull owners one, two or me.

This has been a beautiful thread to read, I am sure we've all recalled many happy memories of our furry friends.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024