Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thread: Walsall, H 14:01 - Aug 25 with 21469 views442Dale

Subs:
Kgosi Ntlhe
Ryan Delaney
Calvin Andrew
Connor Randall
Bradden Inman
Brendan Moore
Andy Cannon

Not sure why Cannon has been left out.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2018 14:03]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match thread: Walsall, H on 18:21 - Aug 25 with 2648 viewsShun

Match thread: Walsall, H on 18:03 - Aug 25 by Bazzanne

What a negative and uninspiring comment "earned the right to take us down". We should be looking forward not back to League 2. If your only ambition is a return to L2 then we may as well give up now.

We certainly haven't progressed squadwise from last woeful season. Dale are dreadful to watch at the moment, somethings got to change.

I think youā€™ve missed his point. In the wake of people questioning Hillā€™s position jonahwhereru said, rightly, that if we do go down Hill should still be in charge.

Iā€™d also disagree that our football is ā€˜dreadfulā€™ to watch too. We played better football than Walsall today but obviously it didnā€™t count for much. If we are to have another season of struggle (personally I donā€™t think we will) then Iā€™d much rather we play passing football and control possession as we are doing than have to chase the opposition round like schoolboys. The football weā€™re playing is incredibly frustrating and pretty slow, but to call it dreadful is unfair.
Match thread: Walsall, H on 18:21 - Aug 25 with 2652 viewsBarrowdale

The problem is the style of play, not the players per se. Its pedestrian predictable and ponderous. Walsall had ages to set up two banks of four every time. Whatever happened yo pace and no fear. We only woke up with ten to go.
Awful to watch and Wilbraham utterly useless.
Finished now!
Match thread: Walsall, H on 18:23 - Aug 25 with 2627 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Post Match: "it's the Ref's fault,too slow didn't let the game flow and too much whistle"

Ok....but our players piss about passing nowhere?
Match thread: Walsall, H on 18:23 - Aug 25 with 2632 viewsjudd

Match thread: Walsall, H on 18:16 - Aug 25 by Daley_Lama

Please please Please! can we go 5 up at home sometime this season, if only to stop the incessant screeches of SHOOOOOOOOOOOOT when we get the ball at CH position.

Walsall werenā€™t all that, as at Fleetwood we were the better team first half but dropped an absolute ricket of a goal.

Didnā€™t see the second goal, took jnr for a pee, we had the ball as we entered the tunnel, they scored before zips were undone so i suspect someone gave the ball away.

Sadly, we are at our best when playing two big uns up front and launching. Not from a central position as MJW kept trying, better from out wide.

Nice distraction of a trip to Middlesboogie next, see if we can keep our away record going. Perhaps with slightly more encouraging shouts from the bleachers.

I admire your positivity but I doubt we'll play many teams as poor as Walsall. And we did precisely fook all to win that game. Awful performance.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Match thread: Walsall, H on 18:24 - Aug 25 with 2625 viewsDaleiLama

Walsall were absolutely there for the taking today. Camps (motm for me) the only one looking to play the ball forward most of the game. The time when we pished about with the ball across the back 4 and found ourselves under heavy pressure with a 4 on 4 summed it up perfectly. Conceded 13 in 5 games. No cutting edge to our attack. Very rarely ran at them but when we did (Done, Harrison, Inman) we ran through them. We are as frightening going forward as Bambi. No fear football - more like petrified football. This team is capable of so much more. It will be a long season again if things don't improve soon. That was very, very disappointing.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match thread: Walsall, H on 18:33 - Aug 25 with 2539 viewsKenBoon

The players looked like they couldn't be arsed. I've no idea what the boy who scored their second goal was doing to the family stand. Only thing I could put it down to was he was a rabid fanboy of our pie suppliers and had heard all the complaints about them.
Match thread: Walsall, H on 18:34 - Aug 25 with 2530 viewsboromat

Well not a great result but I'm not worried yet still early days and I can see more potential in this squad than last season's.

First half we had alot of the ball some nice passing and patient build up similarly to preseason. Unfortunately the patient build up only works if you've got the quality to get through the other side when they're fully setup defensively, at the minute we're not showing this. For me we need to be getting forward quicker and when we are given time on the ball lets not take 2 or 3 touches before moving it on let's play one touch move it quickly. If you are going to have several touches you have to be showing real quality with your pass. Against that's not happening at the minute.

We looked more threatening when we went more direct but I think it was equally because we were showing more urgency and for me the positive to take from today was the fight we saw at the end. If we can see that from the start of the game we'll be fine this season.

I think it'll all click soon enough and I'm thinking we'll be midtable this year. Hopefully the cup will be a good chance to pin down a line up that Hill is going to stick with for a few games.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Match thread: Walsall, H on 18:37 - Aug 25 with 2507 viewsjudd

Match thread: Walsall, H on 18:34 - Aug 25 by boromat

Well not a great result but I'm not worried yet still early days and I can see more potential in this squad than last season's.

First half we had alot of the ball some nice passing and patient build up similarly to preseason. Unfortunately the patient build up only works if you've got the quality to get through the other side when they're fully setup defensively, at the minute we're not showing this. For me we need to be getting forward quicker and when we are given time on the ball lets not take 2 or 3 touches before moving it on let's play one touch move it quickly. If you are going to have several touches you have to be showing real quality with your pass. Against that's not happening at the minute.

We looked more threatening when we went more direct but I think it was equally because we were showing more urgency and for me the positive to take from today was the fight we saw at the end. If we can see that from the start of the game we'll be fine this season.

I think it'll all click soon enough and I'm thinking we'll be midtable this year. Hopefully the cup will be a good chance to pin down a line up that Hill is going to stick with for a few games.

Cheers Keith

Poll: What is it to be then?

Login to get fewer ads

Match thread: Walsall, H on 18:37 - Aug 25 with 2503 viewskiwidale

Match thread: Walsall, H on 18:24 - Aug 25 by DaleiLama

Walsall were absolutely there for the taking today. Camps (motm for me) the only one looking to play the ball forward most of the game. The time when we pished about with the ball across the back 4 and found ourselves under heavy pressure with a 4 on 4 summed it up perfectly. Conceded 13 in 5 games. No cutting edge to our attack. Very rarely ran at them but when we did (Done, Harrison, Inman) we ran through them. We are as frightening going forward as Bambi. No fear football - more like petrified football. This team is capable of so much more. It will be a long season again if things don't improve soon. That was very, very disappointing.

I recall the same comments last season i.e. "we are not a bad side" "we look good in parts" "we just need to find the right formation" etc etc etc well it got worse then and no sign it will get better this season. Yes I am negative right now very much the glass is half empty its just one opinion that I will be happy to be proven wrong on.

edit
that wasn't meant to be addressed to your post just a general comment
[Post edited 25 Aug 2018 18:40]

This is not the time for bickering.

Match thread: Walsall, H on 18:40 - Aug 25 with 2474 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Match thread: Walsall, H on 16:38 - Aug 25 by DaleFan7

MJ balloons one over from 8 yard out.

Only needed a slight touch but Willy gives it full blast into the sheltered housing!
Match thread: Walsall, H on 18:40 - Aug 25 with 2479 viewsrochdaleriddler

Match thread: Walsall, H on 18:21 - Aug 25 by Shun

I think youā€™ve missed his point. In the wake of people questioning Hillā€™s position jonahwhereru said, rightly, that if we do go down Hill should still be in charge.

Iā€™d also disagree that our football is ā€˜dreadfulā€™ to watch too. We played better football than Walsall today but obviously it didnā€™t count for much. If we are to have another season of struggle (personally I donā€™t think we will) then Iā€™d much rather we play passing football and control possession as we are doing than have to chase the opposition round like schoolboys. The football weā€™re playing is incredibly frustrating and pretty slow, but to call it dreadful is unfair.

No he shouldnā€™t , we are pedestrian because of his geriatric signings, and his crap tactics

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Match thread: Walsall, H (n/t) on 18:51 - Aug 25 with 2388 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Match thread: Walsall, H on 17:48 - Aug 25 by judd

Utter crap performance. No defending it AT ALL

[Post edited 25 Aug 2018 18:55]
Match thread: Walsall, H on 18:52 - Aug 25 with 2379 viewsJamest1994

We are playing 5 at the back which is heavily reliant on the wingbacks to get forward and provide the width yet rafferty clearly isnt an attacking fullback and neither him or done can cross the ball.

Also why is inman, one one of our best attacking players who is capable of scoring and playing a quality final ball sat on the bench?
Match thread: Walsall, H on 18:56 - Aug 25 with 2352 viewsrich_dale

Match thread: Walsall, H on 18:52 - Aug 25 by Jamest1994

We are playing 5 at the back which is heavily reliant on the wingbacks to get forward and provide the width yet rafferty clearly isnt an attacking fullback and neither him or done can cross the ball.

Also why is inman, one one of our best attacking players who is capable of scoring and playing a quality final ball sat on the bench?

And why did Cannon not feature who was the best player the other night?
Match thread: Walsall, H on 18:56 - Aug 25 with 2344 viewsBobbyjoe

Match thread: Walsall, H on 17:44 - Aug 25 by James1980

Of course this is the time to turn on the team and the manager.
Sorry to point out the obvious. BUT WE SUPPORT ROCHDALE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. We are going to lose games, regardless of the manager. We are going to have games where the team doesn't play well. They will have bad runs of games. No I am not using the little old Rochdale justification.
However to paraphrase Basil Fawlty. What do we expect from a league 1 team, with one of the lowest budgets? A 40000 seater stadium perhaps, Lionel Messi and Ronaldo being signed in January.
I am not a Hillophile but as far as I am concerned, daft comments in interviews aside. He is definitely very much in the black still

In what sense of the word "paraphrase" is that then, James! Is this the not seeing herds of wildebeest out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window, or can't we get you on Mastermind, Sybil?
Match thread: Walsall, H on 19:00 - Aug 25 with 2316 viewsdawlishdale

Match thread: Walsall, H on 18:56 - Aug 25 by Bobbyjoe

In what sense of the word "paraphrase" is that then, James! Is this the not seeing herds of wildebeest out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window, or can't we get you on Mastermind, Sybil?

Hill is resembling Basil Fawlty at the moment with strange signings, weird selections and baffling tactics, whilst flying into a rage when questioned.
Match thread: Walsall, H on 19:03 - Aug 25 with 2305 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Walsall, H on 17:44 - Aug 25 by James1980

Of course this is the time to turn on the team and the manager.
Sorry to point out the obvious. BUT WE SUPPORT ROCHDALE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. We are going to lose games, regardless of the manager. We are going to have games where the team doesn't play well. They will have bad runs of games. No I am not using the little old Rochdale justification.
However to paraphrase Basil Fawlty. What do we expect from a league 1 team, with one of the lowest budgets? A 40000 seater stadium perhaps, Lionel Messi and Ronaldo being signed in January.
I am not a Hillophile but as far as I am concerned, daft comments in interviews aside. He is definitely very much in the black still

Manuel, like Messi, was from Barcelona.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match thread: Walsall, H on 19:05 - Aug 25 with 2287 viewskiwidale

Hills response

This is not the time for bickering.

Match thread: Walsall, H on 19:08 - Aug 25 with 2272 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread: Walsall, H on 14:12 - Aug 25 by fitzochris

Hillā€™s pre-match comment about Cannon: ā€œHe should have been the best right wingback in the division but, for whatever reason, heā€™s a midfielder.ā€

Read into that, what you will.

Yes I heard that clip. It's obvious now that Cannon has told Hill he wants to play midfield and not wingback - and so he should! Before his injury last season he was one of the main reasons we got out of being relegated - today was so disappointing until we went 0-2 down then decided to attack for the last 15 minutes. No real system and we lumped it forward a fair bit but it was certainly more effective than what had gone on before. We are so slow building up play it is so easy to defend against - the system we started with requires so much passing and movement and I'm afraid the players just don't seem up to it going off today. Obviously throw in the calamitous opener for Walsall and it's not much fun to watch. A big headache for Hill if he wants to stick with the players and the system.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match thread: Walsall, H on 19:31 - Aug 25 with 2150 viewsJames1980

Match thread: Walsall, H on 18:56 - Aug 25 by Bobbyjoe

The former and I know it is not real a paraphrase. But whether you agree or disagree hopefully you understood my point.
Does anyone know in any ideal world how this current system is supposed to work? No smart alec remarks please about scoring more than the opposition

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Match thread: Walsall, H on 19:32 - Aug 25 with 2143 viewsD_Alien

Match thread: Walsall, H on 19:08 - Aug 25 by dingdangblue

Yes I heard that clip. It's obvious now that Cannon has told Hill he wants to play midfield and not wingback - and so he should! Before his injury last season he was one of the main reasons we got out of being relegated - today was so disappointing until we went 0-2 down then decided to attack for the last 15 minutes. No real system and we lumped it forward a fair bit but it was certainly more effective than what had gone on before. We are so slow building up play it is so easy to defend against - the system we started with requires so much passing and movement and I'm afraid the players just don't seem up to it going off today. Obviously throw in the calamitous opener for Walsall and it's not much fun to watch. A big headache for Hill if he wants to stick with the players and the system.

The conclusion i'm coming to is that Hill doesn't actually know how to deploy 532

The "2" are meant to be ball-playing forwards who keep the opposition defence on their toes, thus defending right from the front

He brought Wilbraham in presumably as 1 of the 2 but the only positive i'm seeing from him is being positively statuesque. As for Hendo, he's rarely forward enough and chooses to clutter up the midfield instead, doing little but pass back to the CBs

The overall effect is to put no pressure on the opposition and reduce the number of chances we create whilst reducing the chances of having someone on the end of those we do

Our build-up is slow because there's literally no-one available to take the ball in an advanced position if played on the deck. I wasn't at Burton but one of the post-match comments praised our swiftly-built attacks. That's what's supposed to happen but for some godforsaken reason the manager's forgotten about it

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match thread: Walsall, H on 19:38 - Aug 25 with 2100 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread: Walsall, H on 19:32 - Aug 25 by D_Alien

The conclusion i'm coming to is that Hill doesn't actually know how to deploy 532

The "2" are meant to be ball-playing forwards who keep the opposition defence on their toes, thus defending right from the front

He brought Wilbraham in presumably as 1 of the 2 but the only positive i'm seeing from him is being positively statuesque. As for Hendo, he's rarely forward enough and chooses to clutter up the midfield instead, doing little but pass back to the CBs

The overall effect is to put no pressure on the opposition and reduce the number of chances we create whilst reducing the chances of having someone on the end of those we do

Our build-up is slow because there's literally no-one available to take the ball in an advanced position if played on the deck. I wasn't at Burton but one of the post-match comments praised our swiftly-built attacks. That's what's supposed to happen but for some godforsaken reason the manager's forgotten about it

Our 2 goals at Burton came from long balls forward. We got some joy today playing long balls forward - maybe it's time to go back to basic football? We looked a lot better today when Calvin came on.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match thread: Walsall, H on 19:43 - Aug 25 with 2075 views442Dale

Match thread: Walsall, H on 19:32 - Aug 25 by D_Alien

Itā€™s become 5-4-1. Inexplicable. A formation we know worked and the players were comfortable with has been changed to ensure we offer nothing to worry the centre halves of the opposition. The wing-backs all too often turn back because they know options in the area are limited, and when they do turn back theyā€™re often passing to their captain.

We need only look at the Spurs game to realise what did work. With the way we are playing right now, Henderson wouldnā€™t even be there to finish off such a move like he did for the first goal that day. Clutter is the perfect word. If either he or the manager believe that being so deep makes us more effective, then itā€™s as good as admitting we donā€™t trust our current midfielders.

Match thread: Walsall, H on 19:43 - Aug 25 with 2070 viewsBobbyjoe

Match thread: Walsall, H on 19:31 - Aug 25 by James1980

The former and I know it is not real a paraphrase. But whether you agree or disagree hopefully you understood my point.
Does anyone know in any ideal world how this current system is supposed to work? No smart alec remarks please about scoring more than the opposition

Basically, it's when you can't remember the actual quote...
Match thread: Walsall, H on 19:52 - Aug 25 with 2031 views442Dale

Match thread: Walsall, H on 19:38 - Aug 25 by dingdangblue

Our 2 goals at Burton came from long balls forward. We got some joy today playing long balls forward - maybe it's time to go back to basic football? We looked a lot better today when Calvin came on.

Iā€™d swap ā€œdirectā€ for ā€œlong ballā€, but youā€™re right. The best Hill sides have always been direct. That doesnā€™t mean hoofing it, itā€™s moving the ball quickly up the pitch, which can be done with one pass or five or someone carrying the ball forward 30-40 yards.

We allow teams to reset far too often. Itā€™s the latest obsession with ā€œbeating the pressā€ where teams want to be seen to do that by leaving the opposition open when they try to take it off you at the back. But if that isnā€™t achieved quickly, it becomes pointless. We certainly didnā€™t play this way v Spurs, we looked to go forward directly.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024