Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column 18:57 - Dec 4 with 7964 viewsNorthernr

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/44427
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 01:02 - Dec 6 with 1710 viewsPommyhoop

What is it with you and geese Clive? Robbie Savage is a ' honking goose' . ( love it btw) and didnt Jamie Mackie soar through the air with his arms outstretched like a glorious tattooed goose for that brlliant goal up at Citeh?

Great article !!!

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 06:54 - Dec 6 with 1680 viewswestberksr

Great piece Clive, having cancelled Sky Sports last season for this exact reason I fully concur with your column.

The Middlesbrough fixtures last year did it for me, 2 sets of fans massively fukked up on Fridays for return matches, utter khunts.

At least if they chose local teams such as Fulham, Brentford etc then you have half a chance of decent crowds, better atmosphere and realistic travel (assuming fans are local which I appreciate isn't really the case, I live 65 miles away, but at least it gives the I pressing they give a shit)
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 09:38 - Dec 6 with 1619 viewsstevec

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 22:00 - Dec 4 by Brightonhoop

Seriously? How is us being away until end of January a good thing?

It's great seeing camera views of empty seats.Playing wolves dressed as traffic wardens.

Great piece Clive. Was 4 years in Italy and now 4 in Spain. Just want to see my Club never on a Thursday. Tw4ts. No chance of flying in over Xmas for the fixtures. Knts. Sky are like the un wanted relative turning up with bot of scabby Cheddar for the Christmas cheeseboard. Co op stilton. And nosh the fcking lot like they bought it.

Where did I say it was a good thing? I hate pretty much any game that's not Saturday 3pm or Tues/Wed 7.45.

It's hard to think of anything worse than Thursday night football, but if they've paid their money (Sky) anything that's bottom of the pile (Europa Cup, EFL, Rugby league) will more likely be played out on crap nights like Thursday.

Clive lays out some informative stuff but behind it all, whether it leaves Sky and ends up on BT, Apple or Google, they will also put games out at the same ridiculous times if it suits them.

As I mentioned earlier, Test cricket outside England is played out in front of entirely empty stadiums. I hate it, you hate it, but Sky and those receiving Sky money seem content with it. Ask yourself why. Does sky need supporters at lower league football?
Like you all, I'd say it does, but that's 12,000 of us against 250,000 who watch it on TV.
I'd imagine their advertisement income dwarfs our gate receipts and that's on an unpopular Thursday night.

In the end, the quality of football on offer decides how many people tuck themselves into our antiquated ground. Let's not kid ourselves any longer that it's all been Sky or Harry Redknapps fault, as appealing as that is.
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 10:00 - Dec 6 with 1610 viewsdaveB

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 09:38 - Dec 6 by stevec

Where did I say it was a good thing? I hate pretty much any game that's not Saturday 3pm or Tues/Wed 7.45.

It's hard to think of anything worse than Thursday night football, but if they've paid their money (Sky) anything that's bottom of the pile (Europa Cup, EFL, Rugby league) will more likely be played out on crap nights like Thursday.

Clive lays out some informative stuff but behind it all, whether it leaves Sky and ends up on BT, Apple or Google, they will also put games out at the same ridiculous times if it suits them.

As I mentioned earlier, Test cricket outside England is played out in front of entirely empty stadiums. I hate it, you hate it, but Sky and those receiving Sky money seem content with it. Ask yourself why. Does sky need supporters at lower league football?
Like you all, I'd say it does, but that's 12,000 of us against 250,000 who watch it on TV.
I'd imagine their advertisement income dwarfs our gate receipts and that's on an unpopular Thursday night.

In the end, the quality of football on offer decides how many people tuck themselves into our antiquated ground. Let's not kid ourselves any longer that it's all been Sky or Harry Redknapps fault, as appealing as that is.

Advertising revenue for a Thursday night game will be tiny, commercials sold on ratings and that Wolves game won't have got many
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 10:50 - Dec 6 with 1579 viewsstevec

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 10:00 - Dec 6 by daveB

Advertising revenue for a Thursday night game will be tiny, commercials sold on ratings and that Wolves game won't have got many

That's probably true but cuts both ways. They're contracted to a certain number of games and a low level QPR v Wolves game means we go to air at the least convenient time for us, or damaging time for Sky.

Last time I looked Sky made profits, we made losses. Guess who's going to call the shots?
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 11:19 - Dec 6 with 1566 viewsfrancisbowles

Another excellent article, Clive. When you have paused for breath maybe you next one could be on the standard of refereeing and how they could be helped to achieve understanding of the game and consistent application of it's laws!

Oh, and when you have done that, then why not another on why England and hopefully the rest of 'western' Europe should resign from FIFA until a new governing body has been established and the 2018 & 2022 world cups have been moved away from their 'allegedly' corrupt hosts.

Great start and never forget you have this forum right behind you😋
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 11:21 - Dec 6 with 1566 viewsisawqpratwcity

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 09:38 - Dec 6 by stevec

"...the quality of football..."

Ha, you're still banging on about that, are you?

Come on, Steve, tell us how this obvious drawcard is going to magically appear, given that the priority for the club is clearly achieving sustainable expenditure while maintaining our Championship status.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 11:37 - Dec 6 with 1554 viewsdaveB

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 10:50 - Dec 6 by stevec

That's probably true but cuts both ways. They're contracted to a certain number of games and a low level QPR v Wolves game means we go to air at the least convenient time for us, or damaging time for Sky.

Last time I looked Sky made profits, we made losses. Guess who's going to call the shots?

Sky make massive profits as the customers are paying £70 a month to watch it and on top of that they get advertising revenue for all their channels plus are the sales house for every UK channel apart from BBC, ITV and Channel 4. Add in the betting side of the business and they are not struggling.

Sky call the shots and their aim is to please the people paying them money so their customers and advertisers so the more football they have on the better and the more games means the more opportunity for people to bet using their betting service and the betting services of advertisers paying to be around those games. It will all come to a head if they lose the next set of Premier League rights which is very possible.
Login to get fewer ads

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 12:16 - Dec 6 with 1531 viewsstevec

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 11:21 - Dec 6 by isawqpratwcity

"...the quality of football..."

Ha, you're still banging on about that, are you?

Come on, Steve, tell us how this obvious drawcard is going to magically appear, given that the priority for the club is clearly achieving sustainable expenditure while maintaining our Championship status.

I have no idea.

All I do know is that, long term, how full your stadium is roughly equates to how well your football team plays, not when and how Sky turn up on your doorstep.

Still, only one more shopping year to the end of our parachute payments, about the same time Sky and everybody else will lose all interest in us. It'll be 3pm kick offs all the way then.
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 13:00 - Dec 6 with 1503 viewsisawqpratwcity

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 12:16 - Dec 6 by stevec

I have no idea.

All I do know is that, long term, how full your stadium is roughly equates to how well your football team plays, not when and how Sky turn up on your doorstep.

Still, only one more shopping year to the end of our parachute payments, about the same time Sky and everybody else will lose all interest in us. It'll be 3pm kick offs all the way then.

So your edict to not play boring football is a bit of gratuitous, non-constructive (and not testable) advice, and not to be considered as indicative of anything specific until you decide it's the reason JFH deserved to be sacked.

I can't quite see the connection between the parachute payments and Sky's interest in us. If we've proved anything over the last few seasons, it's that spending ludicrous amounts of money is no guarantee of success. Hence the need for the club to achieve sustainable expenditure as a top priority, and then try to improve within that financial constraint.

It would be interesting to know how, coming to the end of the end of our parachute payments, we currently stand on our squad costs.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 13:56 - Dec 6 with 1459 viewsJuzzie

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 13:51 - Dec 5 by Northernr

Sky don't make money selling the Premier League abroad, the Premier League does rights deals with foreign broadcasters.

I see. I guess as their customer (sic) is the TV subscriber not the turnstile fan the latter will never be catered for.

[Post edited 6 Dec 2016 13:57]
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 14:09 - Dec 6 with 1438 viewsPinnerPaul

Excellent article Clive and good to see you acknowledge the positive aspect s of Sky.

Just to point out though that the Non Saturday league period you mention does contain Xmas Eve, NY Eve, the 3rd and 4th rounds of FA Cup - those 4 "Non FL" Saturdays have nothing to do with Sky.
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 15:28 - Dec 6 with 1400 viewsdaveB

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 14:09 - Dec 6 by PinnerPaul

Excellent article Clive and good to see you acknowledge the positive aspect s of Sky.

Just to point out though that the Non Saturday league period you mention does contain Xmas Eve, NY Eve, the 3rd and 4th rounds of FA Cup - those 4 "Non FL" Saturdays have nothing to do with Sky.

We are playing on New Years Eve but are away
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 16:28 - Dec 6 with 1355 viewsPinnerPaul

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 15:28 - Dec 6 by daveB

We are playing on New Years Eve but are away

Apologies, but my point still stands its not Sky's fault that we are not at home that Saturday!
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 17:10 - Dec 6 with 1324 viewsdaveB

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 16:28 - Dec 6 by PinnerPaul

Apologies, but my point still stands its not Sky's fault that we are not at home that Saturday!

It is their fault though for last Saturday, Boxing Day, plus the Fulham and Villa games
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 17:13 - Dec 6 with 1180 viewsNorthernr

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 17:10 - Dec 6 by daveB

It is their fault though for last Saturday, Boxing Day, plus the Fulham and Villa games

And the Leeds game, and the Cardiff game.
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 17:40 - Dec 6 with 1151 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Cracking stuff.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 12:26 - Dec 7 with 1007 viewsDaiHo0p

Someone needs to have a word with Chery..

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10685609/qprs-chery-looks-a
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 12:52 - Dec 7 with 986 viewsTacticalR

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 12:26 - Dec 7 by DaiHo0p

Someone needs to have a word with Chery..

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10685609/qprs-chery-looks-a

That QPR top is pretty cool.

Air hostess clique

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 13:05 - Dec 7 with 977 viewsAntti_Heinola

Something I don't think Clive mentioned, which has to be the most ludicrous rule of all - and isn't even Sky's fault, is the lack of 3pm football on TV on Saturday.

It's so antiquated - no other country on earth worries about this. It's ridiculous that we can't watch games at that time. Last Sat, with a free day thanks to the stupid Wolves KO (which I thought was part of the 10 in 10, but wasn't?) I thought I'd watch El Clasico. But no. It was on a delay, I assume due to FA rules. So we can't even watch foreign football on a Saturday avo in case we doin't go to our own games.

So now, if you're inconvenienced by a stupid KO time, you can't watch any football at a normal football time either. Utter bollox. If they showed a game at 3pm, they wouldn't have to move so many others!

Bare bones.

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 13:49 - Dec 7 with 941 viewsPinnerPaul

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 17:10 - Dec 6 by daveB

My turn Boxing Day isn't a Saturday last time I looked - thought we were moaning about the lack of 3pm Saturday kick offs?
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 13:54 - Dec 7 with 932 viewsNorthernr

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 13:49 - Dec 7 by PinnerPaul

My turn Boxing Day isn't a Saturday last time I looked - thought we were moaning about the lack of 3pm Saturday kick offs?

I do enjoy it when an overall point gets mired in the definition of pedantry.
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 14:00 - Dec 7 with 927 viewsdaveB

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 13:49 - Dec 7 by PinnerPaul

Boxing Day is a traditional game though and instead we're playing on Tuesday Morning thanks to Sky and yes I know 12pm isn't technically morning but it's close enough
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 14:03 - Dec 7 with 925 viewsQPR_Jim

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 13:05 - Dec 7 by Antti_Heinola

Something I don't think Clive mentioned, which has to be the most ludicrous rule of all - and isn't even Sky's fault, is the lack of 3pm football on TV on Saturday.

It's so antiquated - no other country on earth worries about this. It's ridiculous that we can't watch games at that time. Last Sat, with a free day thanks to the stupid Wolves KO (which I thought was part of the 10 in 10, but wasn't?) I thought I'd watch El Clasico. But no. It was on a delay, I assume due to FA rules. So we can't even watch foreign football on a Saturday avo in case we doin't go to our own games.

So now, if you're inconvenienced by a stupid KO time, you can't watch any football at a normal football time either. Utter bollox. If they showed a game at 3pm, they wouldn't have to move so many others!

I was thinking similar, it seems strange that rules brought in to stop people from attending games has lead to Thursday KO which deter people from attending games. Although I doubt SKY are that bothered as they probably get plenty of ratings for the score center thingy.
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 14:05 - Dec 7 with 923 viewsNorthernr

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 14:00 - Dec 7 by daveB

Boxing Day is a traditional game though and instead we're playing on Tuesday Morning thanks to Sky and yes I know 12pm isn't technically morning but it's close enough

12 noon is the fcking morning.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024