Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Team for the Saints... 10:43 - Feb 25 with 4718 viewsThe_Mole

Assuming all fit - what team/formation to play the Saints and look for the win...

............Cesar.............
Fabio....Samba....Hill...Traore
........Derry....Mbia........
...Towsend...Taarabt....Hoilett
............Remy...........

Maybe bring on BZ at half time when once again we're chasing the game?!

BTW - Does anyone know why Derry didn't feature against Utd??
Team for the Saints... on 21:02 - Feb 25 with 1113 viewsQPR1882

Team for the Saints... on 17:31 - Feb 25 by Jamie

Controversial opinion time, Mbia is not good enough to play CM in the PL.

Aaand, go....

Thats because he is a centre back, we may as well play Samba or Hill in midfield if we are going to play M'bia there.

The sooner our manager sees that the better................
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Team for the Saints... on 21:04 - Feb 25 with 1107 viewsNeil_SI

Everybody has talked about four at the back, but we've actually played reasonably well when we've used three instead.

I would be intrigued to see us try 3-5-2 (or 5-2-3-1 or 3-6-1, however you might want to term it!), because it offers us a lot of interesting combinations and options.

The back three could consist of Nedum Onuoha, Christopher Samba and Clint Hill, or you could replace Hill with Stephane Mbia if you wanted. The former gives Mbia a chance to play in the holding role, whereas the latter gives you complete pace and power at the back and able to deal with threats in the air and the deck.

I'd play Fabio at left wing back every time, but backed up by Armand Traore. This would allow these players to get into more advanced attacking positions and make use of their attacking and supporting abilities.

I would play Samba Diakite at right wing back. A surprise choice for many I'm sure, but I think he would improve by playing in that position and be able to use his energy to get up and down and do better with limited passing options that force him to make better passes of the ball. You could potentially make better use of Jose Boswingwa from here as he is more of a wing back or winger and we know Jamie Mackie has the energy and determination to get up and down there if necessary as well.

The defensive midfield position, or positions are less clear. I'd give Stephane Mbia a go because he's more mobile than Shuan Derry. Otherwise if you play with two in there Derry would always be one of them. Jermaine Jenas can play this role too, but he may also play further forward if you wanted a more natural midfield player. It may also prove better to play Esteban Granero in one of these positions as well. The nice thing about playing Jenas is he could naturally swap at times with Diakite, they can do both those roles, so maybe even he and Granero together would be interesting, but at the expense of Derry (which is a risk). If Derry played, his simple passing game can free up Granero who can pick a pass when he's on form.

Then you have two ways to operate from here. Either a three man attacking midfield, leaving one striker, or two more midfielders and two strikers. I'd probably go for three in the midfield and one striker.

Of that combination you could use Jamie Mackie, Andros Townsend or Junior Hoilett on any of the flanks. Ji-Sung Park could cover for any of the midfield positions if necessary.

Adel Taarabt would play the central attacking role with a free reign to pick up the ball and play. You could in some circumstances put any of the wide attacking players in there or even Granero or Park as well.

And that leaves Loic Remy up front, shadowed by...no one. It needs a man with pace in the top end and he's the only one who has any. We could stick Mackie up there instead as well for his work rate. You could play to the chest and ask Bobby Zamora to hold it up as well, but I don't think he's fit enough to play.

So I think, it went like this:

...................Cesar

.........Onouha Samba Mbia
Diakite..........................Fabio
..............Granero Derry

Townsend .....Taarabt........Hoilett

...................Remy
Team for the Saints... on 21:16 - Feb 25 with 1082 viewsflynnbo

Team for the Saints... on 21:04 - Feb 25 by Neil_SI

Everybody has talked about four at the back, but we've actually played reasonably well when we've used three instead.

I would be intrigued to see us try 3-5-2 (or 5-2-3-1 or 3-6-1, however you might want to term it!), because it offers us a lot of interesting combinations and options.

The back three could consist of Nedum Onuoha, Christopher Samba and Clint Hill, or you could replace Hill with Stephane Mbia if you wanted. The former gives Mbia a chance to play in the holding role, whereas the latter gives you complete pace and power at the back and able to deal with threats in the air and the deck.

I'd play Fabio at left wing back every time, but backed up by Armand Traore. This would allow these players to get into more advanced attacking positions and make use of their attacking and supporting abilities.

I would play Samba Diakite at right wing back. A surprise choice for many I'm sure, but I think he would improve by playing in that position and be able to use his energy to get up and down and do better with limited passing options that force him to make better passes of the ball. You could potentially make better use of Jose Boswingwa from here as he is more of a wing back or winger and we know Jamie Mackie has the energy and determination to get up and down there if necessary as well.

The defensive midfield position, or positions are less clear. I'd give Stephane Mbia a go because he's more mobile than Shuan Derry. Otherwise if you play with two in there Derry would always be one of them. Jermaine Jenas can play this role too, but he may also play further forward if you wanted a more natural midfield player. It may also prove better to play Esteban Granero in one of these positions as well. The nice thing about playing Jenas is he could naturally swap at times with Diakite, they can do both those roles, so maybe even he and Granero together would be interesting, but at the expense of Derry (which is a risk). If Derry played, his simple passing game can free up Granero who can pick a pass when he's on form.

Then you have two ways to operate from here. Either a three man attacking midfield, leaving one striker, or two more midfielders and two strikers. I'd probably go for three in the midfield and one striker.

Of that combination you could use Jamie Mackie, Andros Townsend or Junior Hoilett on any of the flanks. Ji-Sung Park could cover for any of the midfield positions if necessary.

Adel Taarabt would play the central attacking role with a free reign to pick up the ball and play. You could in some circumstances put any of the wide attacking players in there or even Granero or Park as well.

And that leaves Loic Remy up front, shadowed by...no one. It needs a man with pace in the top end and he's the only one who has any. We could stick Mackie up there instead as well for his work rate. You could play to the chest and ask Bobby Zamora to hold it up as well, but I don't think he's fit enough to play.

...................Cesar

...................Remy

Could do with 12 tbh.
Team for the Saints... on 21:24 - Feb 25 with 1077 viewsNeil_SI

Team for the Saints... on 21:16 - Feb 25 by flynnbo

Could do with 12 tbh.

Oh dear.

I actually did the first set without a goalkeeper too and wound up confusing myself...but I'm not changing it, they have to play with 12.

In all seriousness Granero wasn't in my original selection, so he'd be the one I'd remove from that.
Team for the Saints... on 09:07 - Feb 26 with 1021 viewsgazza1

...................Cesar

...................Remy

You wanna stop taking those tablets Neil - shocking
Team for the Saints... on 09:16 - Feb 26 with 1020 viewsgazza1

A win is surely a must for Harry.....

HR must play a team that has attacking players included that could score goals and still mindful that we must be clean at the back. A draw will not be good enough although is more likely. For that reason I see the following players included....

Zamora & Remi - both if fit
Attacking FB's - Troare, Boswinga or Fabio
Attacking Midfielders - Townsend, Tarbs or SWP
Defenders - Hill, Samba, Derry, Mbia
Bench - Mackie, Diakate, Onouha,
Team for the Saints... on 11:55 - Feb 26 with 992 viewskingo

...................Cesar

...................Remy

I agree that for a game like Southampton we need to look at a defensive 3 (Samba, Nedum and Hill) with 2 wing back who are prepared to push on and add width (from Fabio, Traore or Bosingwa). I would then have Mbia in the holding position and then Townsend, Granero, Adel / Hoilet with Remy up front. That would allow us to counter at speed and also have the ability to defend when we needed to. To play against Southampton you need to be able to have the numbers back to defend against the numbers they put forward but also need to be able to pass beyond their pressing players and counter at speed.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Team for the Saints... on 12:21 - Feb 26 with 979 viewsdaveB

Well listening to Redknapps comments I think he'll go 4-4-2 with Hoilett and Mackie out wide and Zamora/Remy up front. No idea who will play in central midfield just pick 2 names out of a hat
Login to get fewer ads

Team for the Saints... on 12:48 - Feb 26 with 968 viewsMerthyrHoop

Team for the Saints... on 12:21 - Feb 26 by daveB

Well listening to Redknapps comments I think he'll go 4-4-2 with Hoilett and Mackie out wide and Zamora/Remy up front. No idea who will play in central midfield just pick 2 names out of a hat

And leave out Taarabt and Townsend? The two players of late that actually look capable of creating chances?

Don't buy into this wing-back stuff considering we will play with an out-and-out winger in the shape of Townsend. His job will be to hog the touchline, with Fabio/Traore breaking forward on the left to provide the width, and look to stretch Southampton's defence and create space for the likes of Taarabt, Remy, Hoilett and Granero to operate in.

Hoilett and Taarabt can alternate on the left if we need to defend, but in attacking positions we can effectively line up as follows:

Cesar
Onuoha, Samba, Hill
Townsend, MBia, Diakite, Fabio
Taarabt
Remy, Hoilett
Team for the Saints... on 13:04 - Feb 26 with 958 viewssimmo

Whilst Neil's team would be an interesting one and I think eliminate a lot of the selection problems by playing more people in their natural positions, i would be a little controversial for this game and drop Clint Hill.

Saints play a high pressing game and as solid as Hill is he is for me the worst passer of the ball in our first 11 and has not got the mobility to recover from mistakes or push the defensive line higher to be more pro-active.

We cant play the ball out from the back when we are under pressure so I would prefer to see M'Bia (distribution not much better but at least more mobile) or Onouha at CB next to Samba. My team would be something like

..................Cesar..................
Fabio.....Samba.....Onouha....Traore
...........M'Bia/Derry....Granero...........
Townsend.........................Taarabt
............Remy.......Zamora.........

I would like to get Hoilett and Diakite in there too but I think both of these players can have strong influences off the bench and allow us to adjust systems and formations where needed. Also the former is just coming back from injury so maybe not ready for a start.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Team for the Saints... on 13:08 - Feb 26 with 953 viewsdaveB

Team for the Saints... on 12:48 - Feb 26 by MerthyrHoop

And leave out Taarabt and Townsend? The two players of late that actually look capable of creating chances?

Don't buy into this wing-back stuff considering we will play with an out-and-out winger in the shape of Townsend. His job will be to hog the touchline, with Fabio/Traore breaking forward on the left to provide the width, and look to stretch Southampton's defence and create space for the likes of Taarabt, Remy, Hoilett and Granero to operate in.

Hoilett and Taarabt can alternate on the left if we need to defend, but in attacking positions we can effectively line up as follows:

Cesar
Onuoha, Samba, Hill
Townsend, MBia, Diakite, Fabio
Taarabt
Remy, Hoilett

thats whats i think he'll do, I suppose Townsend could play instead of Mackie, I'd rather play 4-2-3-1 which the players seem more comfortable but thats not the vibe I'm getting from Redknapp
Team for the Saints... on 13:11 - Feb 26 with 945 viewsNeil_SI

If they were smart, they'd play Townsend wide right and use his natural tendency to come inside on his left as a trigger point for Remy to make runs across his marker and into space, as well as ensuring at that point Fabio bursts forward and Adel Taarabt gets into the pocket of space between the midfield and defence. That would be one potential passage of pattern play they could work on.

The through ball to exploit the pace Remy has and to try and get him in on goal, to Taarabt's feet for his trickery and shorter through balls, or out wide to Fabio where they can build and support with more numbers in the box.

It's about finding combinations that could work and using them as a platform and springboard to progress.
Team for the Saints... on 13:17 - Feb 26 with 937 viewsdaveB

Team for the Saints... on 13:11 - Feb 26 by Neil_SI

If they were smart, they'd play Townsend wide right and use his natural tendency to come inside on his left as a trigger point for Remy to make runs across his marker and into space, as well as ensuring at that point Fabio bursts forward and Adel Taarabt gets into the pocket of space between the midfield and defence. That would be one potential passage of pattern play they could work on.

The through ball to exploit the pace Remy has and to try and get him in on goal, to Taarabt's feet for his trickery and shorter through balls, or out wide to Fabio where they can build and support with more numbers in the box.

It's about finding combinations that could work and using them as a platform and springboard to progress.

I do wonder at times why your not working as a coach Neil, that's not meant as sarcasm I genuinely read your posts and think this bloke should be involved in football
Team for the Saints... on 13:26 - Feb 26 with 925 viewsbaz_qpr

Its going to be 4-4-2, its going to be direct and I'd be surprised if its going to work.
Team for the Saints... on 20:04 - Feb 26 with 875 viewsRANGERS4EVER

I still do not get why people are putting Hoilett in their team? I know he has not had much game time , but every time he has played he has done absolutely nothing , even his goal vs Everton took a massive deflection. I wouldnt play him

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

Team for the Saints... on 20:08 - Feb 26 with 818 viewsRANGERS4EVER

------------Cesar---------------
-Fabio---Hill--Samba--Traore
--------Diakite---Mbia---------
Townsend-Granero-Taarabt
------------Remy--------------

Team for the Saints... on 20:14 - Feb 26 with 811 viewsenfieldargh

Team for the Saints... on 10:53 - Feb 25 by ElHoop

I'd just go for it and try to surprise them

Cesar
Bosingwa Samba Mbia Fabio
Hoilett Granero Taarabt Townshend
Remy Zamora

This one, even with boswinga

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Team for the Saints... on 21:09 - Feb 26 with 793 viewsSW17_RRR

Team for the Saints... on 11:41 - Feb 25 by pomanjou

The way I see it too except it may be very open and 3-3.

3-3 dream on we haven't scored 3 goals in a game for ages..............
Team for the Saints... on 21:10 - Feb 26 with 789 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Team for the Saints... on 21:09 - Feb 26 by SW17_RRR

3-3 dream on we haven't scored 3 goals in a game for ages..............

last time i can remember (not including friendlies) was beating Wolves 3-0 away

Team for the Saints... on 21:13 - Feb 26 with 789 viewsSW17_RRR

Team for the Saints... on 20:04 - Feb 26 by RANGERS4EVER

I still do not get why people are putting Hoilett in their team? I know he has not had much game time , but every time he has played he has done absolutely nothing , even his goal vs Everton took a massive deflection. I wouldnt play him

What I don't get about Holliet is he actually looked like a good player for Blackburn last season...........is he another victim of the loftus rd curse?

He hangs out on the wing in space but no-one ever passes to the poor fellow.
Team for the Saints... on 21:14 - Feb 26 with 787 viewsSW17_RRR

Team for the Saints... on 21:10 - Feb 26 by RANGERS4EVER

In 1972! =)

uuuuuuuuuuuuRRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Team for the Saints... on 21:16 - Feb 26 with 781 viewsJamie

Team for the Saints... on 21:10 - Feb 26 by RANGERS4EVER

Last time we scored 3 was at home to Walsall in August.

Last time we scored 3 in the league was Swansea last season. Also Stoke, Liverpool & Wolves games last year.
Team for the Saints... on 21:21 - Feb 26 with 776 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Team for the Saints... on 21:16 - Feb 26 by Jamie

Last time we scored 3 was at home to Walsall in August.

Last time we scored 3 in the league was Swansea last season. Also Stoke, Liverpool & Wolves games last year.

oh god yeah how the hell did i forget about those, Eolves just sprung to mind because that was my favourote game from last year

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024