Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tropical Fish 21:20 - Sep 20 with 686 viewsAguycalledJack

Anybody have an aquarium?

Got an aquarium last week so aquarium been up and running for a week. Bought 7 lampeyes today? With some plants etc. All but 1 have died. Done All the tests, ph nitrate and ammonia and readings are all within the correct range.
Any ideas on what's wrong?
Tropical Fish on 21:33 - Sep 20 with 654 viewsKeithHaynes

Drowned ?

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Tropical Fish on 22:10 - Sep 20 with 613 viewsFlashberryjack

Why would you put 7 lampeyes in a new set up, they are relatively delicate fish and require stable water conditions.

You would have been better putting a few guppies in to start with.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Tropical Fish on 22:38 - Sep 20 with 592 viewsAguycalledJack

We went to a reputable store that a few people we know have used and recommended and we went with the recommendation of the individual at the store who appeared to be extremely well informed and kept fish himself.
Tropical Fish on 22:51 - Sep 20 with 583 viewsLuther27

Sounds like they’ve had their chips to me.
Sorry

Blog: Grenfell Tower

Tropical Fish on 23:30 - Sep 20 with 547 viewsmax936

Go back to the dealer and ask his advice, there are probably Tropical Fish forums online as well, I keep Koi and there's a few forums online and on FB that I use, i belong to a club as well which is useful and helpful, I suspect that the may be a Tropical fish club locally as well.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Tropical Fish on 00:07 - Sep 21 with 533 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

I bought 20 goldfish the other day from the local fish shop. The guy behind the counter said “would you like an aquarium” I said “I don’t give a shit what star sign they are”

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Tropical Fish on 09:17 - Sep 21 with 454 viewsDr_Winston

Temperature shock maybe?

Sometimes it just does happen. Might even have been something on the plants if they went in at the same time as the fish.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Tropical Fish on 09:50 - Sep 21 with 438 viewslifelong

I had a good fishing mate from Pencader, sadly no longer with us, spent many happy hour fishing the river Teifi with him.
.He bought quite a large fish tank and decided he wanted to keep trout in it, placed it in his front room, filled it with water and off we went to catch a few trout. Returned an hour later and put 3 trout in the tank, which had no top cover. They seemed quite happy in there for about 15 minutes but then suddenly became very erratic and jumped about 2 feet up in the air out of the tank and were flapping about on his carpet.
Bit of a pointless tale but fish tanks alway remind me of him, he was completely mad.😀
Login to get fewer ads

Tropical Fish on 10:52 - Sep 21 with 421 viewsmax936

Tropical Fish on 09:50 - Sep 21 by lifelong

I had a good fishing mate from Pencader, sadly no longer with us, spent many happy hour fishing the river Teifi with him.
.He bought quite a large fish tank and decided he wanted to keep trout in it, placed it in his front room, filled it with water and off we went to catch a few trout. Returned an hour later and put 3 trout in the tank, which had no top cover. They seemed quite happy in there for about 15 minutes but then suddenly became very erratic and jumped about 2 feet up in the air out of the tank and were flapping about on his carpet.
Bit of a pointless tale but fish tanks alway remind me of him, he was completely mad.😀

I tried keeping roach etc in a tank when I was much much younger and more stupid than I'am now, that didn't end well, cleaned tank out re-filled put a couple of goldfish in to start then a couple of small golden orf, then I saw a pet shop selling small catfish all ok for a while but the cat fish grew and ate the orf you could actually see the outline of the orf through the skin of the catfish he didn't last long after that.

I bought a very large tank and tried keeping 4 young koi in it, the water parameters eventually got uncontrollable and sadly they died, I then waited over 30yrs until I was able to afford to build a pond to keep Koi, I've 21 in a 5000 gal pond which is probably over filtered and the fish have thrived, the food costs a fortune they don't stop eating and the cost of equipment is expensive when things do go wrong, but it is what it is and I enjoy the hobby.

Tropical Fish on 13:40 - Sep 21 with 351 viewsFlashberryjack

Tropical Fish on 09:17 - Sep 21 by Dr_Winston

Temperature shock maybe?

Sometimes it just does happen. Might even have been something on the plants if they went in at the same time as the fish.

When introducing new fish into your tank, you should always put the plastic bag the fish came in into the tank, leave it there for the temperature of the water in the bag and tank slowly equalise, then release the fish, this should stop them suffering from temperature shock.

Hello

Tropical Fish on 17:08 - Sep 21 with 308 viewsWingstandwood

When I kept tropical fish I used to dechlorinate the water using a treatment I used to buy from a local pet shop. I do not know if this is something applicable in this instance. I used to treat the water after cleaning the tank out and refilling also.

Another thing to be mindful of is having correct temperature setting on the heater by having a water thermometer. Water too cold is a killer!

Argus!

Tropical Fish on 17:14 - Sep 21 with 299 viewsonehunglow

Why keep fish captive ,yiu cruel buggers
Imagine being in a cage and people gawping at you

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Tropical Fish on 17:47 - Sep 21 with 278 viewsFlashberryjack

Tropical Fish on 17:14 - Sep 21 by onehunglow

Why keep fish captive ,yiu cruel buggers
Imagine being in a cage and people gawping at you

You can't keep fish in a cage you header.

Hello

Tropical Fish on 17:50 - Sep 21 with 272 viewsFlashberryjack

Tropical Fish on 17:08 - Sep 21 by Wingstandwood

When I kept tropical fish I used to dechlorinate the water using a treatment I used to buy from a local pet shop. I do not know if this is something applicable in this instance. I used to treat the water after cleaning the tank out and refilling also.

Another thing to be mindful of is having correct temperature setting on the heater by having a water thermometer. Water too cold is a killer!

If you have proper filtration in the tank, you only need to partially change the water once a year.

Hello

Tropical Fish on 18:07 - Sep 21 with 263 viewsonehunglow

Tropical Fish on 17:47 - Sep 21 by Flashberryjack

You can't keep fish in a cage you header.

Of course it’s a cage ,one with glass ,ya big Jessie

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Tropical Fish on 19:25 - Sep 21 with 224 viewsAguycalledJack

Update.

It appears that the heater was faulty. We had done all the treatments, placed the bag they came in in in the water etc and temp reading via 🌡 was fine. When the heater was looked at there was a crack in it. We have 1 remaining fish still going strong. Our 6 Yr old thinks the others are with the fish doctor. Been advised to do a 50% water change tomorrow and treat again. Will keep you updated as to how hutch is doing in the week.
Tropical Fish on 21:37 - Sep 21 with 177 viewsmax936

Tropical Fish on 19:25 - Sep 21 by AguycalledJack

Update.

It appears that the heater was faulty. We had done all the treatments, placed the bag they came in in in the water etc and temp reading via 🌡 was fine. When the heater was looked at there was a crack in it. We have 1 remaining fish still going strong. Our 6 Yr old thinks the others are with the fish doctor. Been advised to do a 50% water change tomorrow and treat again. Will keep you updated as to how hutch is doing in the week.

Keep testing the water daily, keep a spare heater handy, you'll get it right just persevere

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024