Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
£32,000 per year 06:39 - Jan 20 with 17432 viewsraynor94

Should you be using a food bank?

It's come up this week a nurse has said that's what she earns and can't survive without a food bank.

A Tory mp has said on the airwaves that there is something wrong with her budgetin skills, in this instance i haveto agree with him.

And how does she get a voucher earning that type of money, thoughts?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

£32,000 per year on 22:04 - Jan 23 with 777 viewsFlashberryjack

£32,000 per year on 21:55 - Jan 23 by Boundy

Now you've started .
Born in 1957 , no phone , when the kids were ill it was walk down to the phone box to call a doctor ( imagine that ) no TV until the late 60;s no car until around the same time , we were 5 kids in living 3 bedroom ( (oose terms indeed ) bungalow , hand wash clothes then use the mangle to get the surplus water out then the twin tub arrived . In the winter net curtains which stuck to the single glazed steel framed windows , a single coal fire and and an electric immersion & paraffin heater ( if you were posh) Just one income and the family allowance .Taping up doors to stop the drafts along with the weirdly looking phallic draft excluder wedged under the door .
Syphoning petrol out of scrap cars and buying remould tyres and altering details on the tax disc. Having Provident loans so the kids would have decent christmas . Alpine pop and hobbling all hours for pennies . Dodging the rent man , rabbiting in Birchgrove to supplement the diet and grow our own to eat not to display at the Gower Show . Neath Fair the place to go for a must have pressure cooker and porthcawl sunday market for dodgy Babour jackets & shell suits for the kids .Holidays you're having a laugh .
Wouldn't have had it any other way but now you can see why I appreciate what I have now .

Exactly.
I remember one Christmas, my father sending me next door to ask if we could borrow their Turkey for half hour.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

£32,000 per year on 06:08 - Jan 24 with 712 viewsraynor94

£32,000 per year on 22:04 - Jan 23 by Flashberryjack

Exactly.
I remember one Christmas, my father sending me next door to ask if we could borrow their Turkey for half hour.

Come on, this is turning into the 4 Yorkshire men script

£32,000 per year on 08:48 - Jan 24 with 695 viewsBryanSwan

£32,000 per year on 20:01 - Jan 23 by ThurrockJack92

I get that the optics aren't great with youngest having flash gear while complaining about not being able to afford to buy a house, but if people look a little deeper at the situation then than may understand why people choose to.

As has been posted earlier in the thread, the average house price was 3 times the average salary, it is now roughly 9 times the the average salary. But it does not end there, banks will generally only lend 4/5 times the annual salary, meaning people who would have been offered a mortgage had they lived a couple of decades + ago simply do not have the option available to them.

Given that it is almost impossible for people in this situation to be granted a mortgage, I understand why they would spend it rather than put towards a deposit / paying down a mortgage. The only reason I do not do it myself is because I like having a financial cushion and hold out a delusional hope that I will be able to get a mortgage.

There are a lot who don't quite understand the current housing crisis we find ourselves in and it is only going to get worse. We've got pretty shabby houses fetching 700pcm rent, how is anyone meant to save for a mortgage after having to fork that out plus all bills.

A mortgage offer will also only be 4-5x the annual salary if there are no children, I bought my house with a 5x salary mortgage, but when it came to taking out a new mortgage at the end of the fix i was only offered 3x my salary due to having a child and the morgage i had had with a child halfway now suddenly became unaffordable.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

£32,000 per year on 12:17 - Jan 24 with 662 viewskrunchykarrot

So if i may can we all agree that foodbanks are a good thing run by kindly people and provide for the needy whomever they are. Yes i will accept that a nurse and a single mother of three could require usage in certain circumstances, but i also want the Mothers and father's or co-parent held to account and paying their dues.

They should not be there for people who spend their benefits on drink drugs fags and tattoos which is uncontrollable i agree ,but is a happening.

Get our technical colleges turned up to gas mark 8 and make planning etc easier (not on Green belt obviously) for a massive House building program. If the big builders disagree hit them hard where it counts. pass a law stopping them hoarding land etc.
£32,000 per year on 12:25 - Jan 24 with 660 viewskrunchykarrot

£32,000 per year on 20:17 - Jan 23 by majorraglan

Indeed he was, but that was back in the mid 70’s when he’d have been in his mid to late 20’s over 45 years ago. Liz Truss was a liberal back in the day. These days Green contributes to the Times, Telegraph and Mail.

Civitas is a highly opaque organisation, funding details are sketchy but one of the backers is well known Conservative. Civitas is a widely acknowledge as right of centre/ right wing think tank.

Ok Major thanks. But you must admit that we are blindly walking into a tax storm if its half true. Our children will never get the pensions or services required. Im getting to the point in concluding that this parliment of MP's are the most deluded set of job preserving clowns ive seen.
There are some principled ones across the parties but i struggle as they all seem to agree and outdo on this Climate Emergency policy that is never going to work and cost our kids.
£32,000 per year on 13:26 - Jan 24 with 638 viewsThurrockJack92

£32,000 per year on 12:25 - Jan 24 by krunchykarrot

Ok Major thanks. But you must admit that we are blindly walking into a tax storm if its half true. Our children will never get the pensions or services required. Im getting to the point in concluding that this parliment of MP's are the most deluded set of job preserving clowns ive seen.
There are some principled ones across the parties but i struggle as they all seem to agree and outdo on this Climate Emergency policy that is never going to work and cost our kids.

Agree with everything you wrote in your previous post. All I would say regarding pensions is that I think people of my generation have quietly accepted that the state pension will not exist for us, or if it does, it will be set well above the life expectancy instead of below as it currently is.

Funnily enough, if we have a birth rate glut the situation may turn on it's head for the generations after mine, but ultimately that will just perpetuate a cycle where some generations get a state pension and some get utterly screwed.

I think the state pension is a nice idea, but I don't think it is workable in a fair manor when looked at across generations. The politicians need to have a real good look at the situation and come up with a fair solution to phase it out imo, but as you point out, they are self serving and outright incompetent.
£32,000 per year on 13:34 - Jan 24 with 632 viewskrunchykarrot

£32,000 per year on 13:26 - Jan 24 by ThurrockJack92

Agree with everything you wrote in your previous post. All I would say regarding pensions is that I think people of my generation have quietly accepted that the state pension will not exist for us, or if it does, it will be set well above the life expectancy instead of below as it currently is.

Funnily enough, if we have a birth rate glut the situation may turn on it's head for the generations after mine, but ultimately that will just perpetuate a cycle where some generations get a state pension and some get utterly screwed.

I think the state pension is a nice idea, but I don't think it is workable in a fair manor when looked at across generations. The politicians need to have a real good look at the situation and come up with a fair solution to phase it out imo, but as you point out, they are self serving and outright incompetent.

What has happened to local MP's who would represent communities? What has happened to local medium sized housebuilders? I am one of th lucky ones who will receive a pension at 66. I also have a private pension which i can honestly say is nowhere near the public sector. Therefore lots of people bought properties to supplement adding to the issues.
£32,000 per year on 13:39 - Jan 24 with 618 viewsSirjohnalot

Listening to the Newsagents podcast today, and they were interviewing recent graduates who work with them who have student loans around £60k plus at 8 %. Despite paying back it keeps going up. How will they get on the property ladder ?
Login to get fewer ads

£32,000 per year on 13:40 - Jan 24 with 611 viewsonehunglow

£32,000 per year on 21:55 - Jan 23 by Boundy

Now you've started .
Born in 1957 , no phone , when the kids were ill it was walk down to the phone box to call a doctor ( imagine that ) no TV until the late 60;s no car until around the same time , we were 5 kids in living 3 bedroom ( (oose terms indeed ) bungalow , hand wash clothes then use the mangle to get the surplus water out then the twin tub arrived . In the winter net curtains which stuck to the single glazed steel framed windows , a single coal fire and and an electric immersion & paraffin heater ( if you were posh) Just one income and the family allowance .Taping up doors to stop the drafts along with the weirdly looking phallic draft excluder wedged under the door .
Syphoning petrol out of scrap cars and buying remould tyres and altering details on the tax disc. Having Provident loans so the kids would have decent christmas . Alpine pop and hobbling all hours for pennies . Dodging the rent man , rabbiting in Birchgrove to supplement the diet and grow our own to eat not to display at the Gower Show . Neath Fair the place to go for a must have pressure cooker and porthcawl sunday market for dodgy Babour jackets & shell suits for the kids .Holidays you're having a laugh .
Wouldn't have had it any other way but now you can see why I appreciate what I have now .

You had net curtains!
That s nothing

We had newspapaper for curtains

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

£32,000 per year on 13:45 - Jan 24 with 613 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

£32,000 per year on 13:39 - Jan 24 by Sirjohnalot

Listening to the Newsagents podcast today, and they were interviewing recent graduates who work with them who have student loans around £60k plus at 8 %. Despite paying back it keeps going up. How will they get on the property ladder ?

Student loans are not included in mortgage underwriting.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

£32,000 per year on 13:51 - Jan 24 with 602 viewsonehunglow

I paid our sons fees .
Because of that he was able to get it together to start on the house trail

£32,000 per year on 13:52 - Jan 24 with 600 viewsSirjohnalot

£32,000 per year on 13:45 - Jan 24 by JACKMANANDBOY

But they are when looking at what is affordable. Most of these kids on salaries less than 30l k were paying, effectively 40 % tax
£32,000 per year on 13:54 - Jan 24 with 590 viewsSirjohnalot

£32,000 per year on 13:51 - Jan 24 by onehunglow

I paid our sons fees .

I had a grant for my undergraduate degree and my parents paid for my postgraduate law 1 year course. (Think about £6k) That was back in 2002. Heck of a lot more now.

Most aren't as lucky as me
£32,000 per year on 13:58 - Jan 24 with 579 viewsonehunglow

£32,000 per year on 13:54 - Jan 24 by Sirjohnalot

I had a grant for my undergraduate degree and my parents paid for my postgraduate law 1 year course. (Think about £6k) That was back in 2002. Heck of a lot more now.

Most aren't as lucky as me

More or less same time as our lad went to Uni for four years.

The loan would have been a millstone for too many years

Many of his chums wasted the loan

£32,000 per year on 14:23 - Jan 24 with 575 viewskrunchykarrot

£32,000 per year on 13:51 - Jan 24 by onehunglow

I paid our sons fees .

"I paid our sons fees" As did I, me i was decided early on at about 14 that i wanted to be an apprentice, saw loads of mates earning good money havent regretted a moment of it. Hang on, my knees just disagreed.
£32,000 per year on 15:00 - Jan 24 with 560 viewsFlashberryjack

£32,000 per year on 12:17 - Jan 24 by krunchykarrot

So if i may can we all agree that foodbanks are a good thing run by kindly people and provide for the needy whomever they are. Yes i will accept that a nurse and a single mother of three could require usage in certain circumstances, but i also want the Mothers and father's or co-parent held to account and paying their dues.

They should not be there for people who spend their benefits on drink drugs fags and tattoos which is uncontrollable i agree ,but is a happening.

Get our technical colleges turned up to gas mark 8 and make planning etc easier (not on Green belt obviously) for a massive House building program. If the big builders disagree hit them hard where it counts. pass a law stopping them hoarding land etc.

In the year ending June 2022, long-term immigration into the UK was estimated at around 1.1 million. This is an estimated increase of 435,000 compared with the YE June 2021 (628,000).24 Nov 2022.

We have a hell of a lot of house building to do.

Hello

£32,000 per year on 15:03 - Jan 24 with 559 viewspencoedjack

£32,000 per year on 15:00 - Jan 24 by Flashberryjack

In the year ending June 2022, long-term immigration into the UK was estimated at around 1.1 million. This is an estimated increase of 435,000 compared with the YE June 2021 (628,000).24 Nov 2022.

Cant we build them in Rwanda?
£32,000 per year on 15:39 - Jan 24 with 539 viewsFlashberryjack

£32,000 per year on 15:03 - Jan 24 by pencoedjack

Cant we build them in Rwanda?

We would have Rwandans coming here illegally, then get us to build a house in Rwanda for them, then fly them back to their new home.

Hello

£32,000 per year on 15:42 - Jan 24 with 538 viewsThurrockJack92

£32,000 per year on 15:00 - Jan 24 by Flashberryjack

That is the catch 22 isn't it. The government wants an ever increasing population in order to have a robust economy and pay for an ever increasing population of pensioners (though they never admit it to their tory base). The population then grows much faster than houses are being built, pushing up rents/mortgages, meaning many of our more sensible citizens put off having children, which just compounds the need for immigration.
£32,000 per year on 16:06 - Jan 24 with 522 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

£32,000 per year on 13:52 - Jan 24 by Sirjohnalot

But they are when looking at what is affordable. Most of these kids on salaries less than 30l k were paying, effectively 40 % tax

At £30,000 you pay about £30 per month additional tax That does not make you a 40 percent taxpayer.
My youngest son at 28 earns about £35K and his girlfriend £25K, both have student loans. They have saved for 5 years, £1000 a month last year, and have just brought their first house.
https://www.student-loan-calculator.co.uk/
[Post edited 24 Jan 2023 16:10]

£32,000 per year on 17:19 - Jan 24 with 486 viewsraynor94

£32,000 per year on 15:42 - Jan 24 by ThurrockJack92

That is the catch 22 isn't it. The government wants an ever increasing population in order to have a robust economy and pay for an ever increasing population of pensioners (though they never admit it to their tory base). The population then grows much faster than houses are being built, pushing up rents/mortgages, meaning many of our more sensible citizens put off having children, which just compounds the need for immigration.

Dear me, you do have thing about pensioners, why so bitter?

£32,000 per year on 17:39 - Jan 24 with 473 viewsTreforys_Jack

Fed up with being castigated by the younger generation for being comfortable in life, times were very hard initially, my wife worked 3 different jobs, I worked long hrs 6 days a week for about 20yrs before being able to drop a few hrs . People seem to want things on a plate these days, the sense of entitlement is staggering. Go to any Costa, Starbucks, Domino's etc and they will be rammed guaranteed. This obviously doesn't apply to everyone and I'll no doubt get pelters, but fed up with being criticised for being reasonably comfortable. Life is hard, it's meant to be, if everything was easy there would be no point.
And no, I've never voted tory in my life.
£32,000 per year on 17:53 - Jan 24 with 461 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

£32,000 per year on 17:39 - Jan 24 by Treforys_Jack

Fed up with being castigated by the younger generation for being comfortable in life, times were very hard initially, my wife worked 3 different jobs, I worked long hrs 6 days a week for about 20yrs before being able to drop a few hrs . People seem to want things on a plate these days, the sense of entitlement is staggering. Go to any Costa, Starbucks, Domino's etc and they will be rammed guaranteed. This obviously doesn't apply to everyone and I'll no doubt get pelters, but fed up with being criticised for being reasonably comfortable. Life is hard, it's meant to be, if everything was easy there would be no point.
And no, I've never voted tory in my life.

It's always been tough when you start out, my grandfather used to tell me about when he and my grandmother started out, they lived apart for 3 years earning as much as they could to be able to afford to live together.
He ran his own business, only in the 1950s when he was into his forties did he start to feel solvent, eventually he had a profitable business and people started calling him rich.
The only people who benefit from splitting the generations are politicians who are after the younger vote.....vote for me I'll make it better.........

£32,000 per year on 17:55 - Jan 24 with 459 viewsmajorraglan

It’s absolutely crackers, the kids are going to be up to their necks in debt- 8% is outrageous.
£32,000 per year on 17:58 - Jan 24 with 454 viewsmajorraglan

£32,000 per year on 13:45 - Jan 24 by JACKMANANDBOY

Student loans are definitely factored in to the affordability calculations as it’s an outgoing which impacts on the borrowers ability to repay the mortgage.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024