Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ospreys 14:27 - Feb 26 with 20277 viewsBanosswan

Whilst music to the ears of some on here, it's ridiculous to think that the WRU have considered merging them with the Blues, Scarlets or even disbanding altogether!

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Ospreys on 21:20 - Mar 5 with 2915 viewsBrynmill_Jack

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:15 - Mar 5 by cymrojack

[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 12:35]

We need to win the big euro millions when it gets to 150 million. Redesign St. Helens , extend it to the beach with the road tunneling underneath it, fit for test cricket and international rugby , mahoosive concerts too withstand retractable roof. I love a good dream me

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Ospreys on 21:23 - Mar 5 with 2912 viewstheloneranger

Ospreys on 20:51 - Mar 5 by Brynmill_Jack

The WRU never forgave the whites for 1998/99. It’s a slow execution for Swansea rugby - the only club to have beaten all the major touring teams. What vandalism, iconoclasm at its worst. I think the warnings were there when Glamorgan f*cked St Helens off

WRU gave Swansea the chance to join the English Premiership in 2000/2001 and they declined.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:25 - Mar 5 with 2910 viewscymrojack

Ospreys on 21:20 - Mar 5 by Brynmill_Jack

We need to win the big euro millions when it gets to 150 million. Redesign St. Helens , extend it to the beach with the road tunneling underneath it, fit for test cricket and international rugby , mahoosive concerts too withstand retractable roof. I love a good dream me

Gwynedd & Swansea - Veteran of Morriston Boys Club

Ospreys on 21:32 - Mar 5 with 2890 viewsdickythorpe

I like it cymro, or are you Richard Webster or Tony Clement? Lol!!

I think the WRU are totally blind to the real fan. By real fan I mean those that dont just up to watch Wales.
There'd be a massive appetite for clubs to join English championship to start with. Games v jersey , Cornish pirates , Guernsey even have a team I the League!!!

So travelling not an issue to South west Wales.
(No subject) (n/t) on 21:41 - Mar 5 with 2872 viewscymrojack

Ospreys on 21:32 - Mar 5 by dickythorpe

I like it cymro, or are you Richard Webster or Tony Clement? Lol!!

I think the WRU are totally blind to the real fan. By real fan I mean those that dont just up to watch Wales.
There'd be a massive appetite for clubs to join English championship to start with. Games v jersey , Cornish pirates , Guernsey even have a team I the League!!!

So travelling not an issue to South west Wales.

Gwynedd & Swansea - Veteran of Morriston Boys Club

Ospreys on 21:45 - Mar 5 with 2863 viewsdeepdale81

Its all about cardiff really and not sacrificing the dragons .As long as cardiff stay as they are They couldnt care less about the rest
.The ospreys would not be merged .They would just be disbanded or if you like relocated north.All the monies to Blues and scarlets .Less to dragons and The North.
The scarlets gates wont increase by much(maybe if they can be consistently one of the Best Like Leinster.).
But whose to say the other Pro14 teams will not improve Without the Ospreys the fixture list will not be so attractive..
The North Region will not get much suport once the hammerings start.
Ask Newport .
Ospreys on 22:15 - Mar 5 with 2805 viewsunion_jack

Interesting read, much of which gas been discussed on here.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/mar/05/ospreys-scarlets-wru-project-

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Ospreys on 23:52 - Mar 5 with 2734 viewsTrefynwySwan

Although the Dragons have undoubtedly been our least successful region since the advent of the Regional game, simply moving them north, as suggested by some posters, would be another poor decision.
Relocating the ‘Eastern’ region to the north would disenfranchise another heartland area of Welsh rugby (think Pontypool, Ebbw Vale, Newport etc) in a similar way to the treatment received by the central valleys (Pontypridd, Maesteg, Bridgend etc) during the demise of the Warriors. The Dragons region has more clubs within it than any of the other regions.
Retain the current structure but get the regional sides to engage more effectively with the grassroots. The north can continue to develop through RGC. They aren’t ready for a professional region at the expense of the Ospreys or Dragons.
Login to get fewer ads

Ospreys on 08:37 - Mar 6 with 2620 viewsowainglyndwr

I can see this being another Glamorgan cricket where they have lost some much support in the West.
There should just be 3 regional teams East & West and North .it's ridiculous that they still want to carry on with the Blues and Dragons.....
Ospreys on 13:18 - Mar 6 with 2526 viewstheloneranger

Does this statement mean that the Ospreys cannot afford to play at the Liberty?? ...

Scarlets-Ospreys merger off the table ...

“Firstly, we can confirm the statement issued by the Professional Rugby Board (PRB) on Tuesday afternoon as accurate, as are the comments made by Wales’ national coach that the proposed merger was driven by the regions, in consultation with the PRB.

“In late December, the Scarlets received a high-level approach from the Ospreys to explore the option of a merger as they had come to the conclusion that their position as tenants at the Liberty Stadium was proving to be challenging.

“This was discussed at the two-day strategy meeting of PRB on January 8th and 9th. The loss of a region would have put Welsh rugby in breach of its commitment to having four regions playing in the major competitions. As a result, the option of a team playing out of North Wales was raised.

“By the time of the next PRB meeting on February 5, discussions had broken down between the Scarlets and Ospreys and we were told that the Ospreys and another region were in talks over a possible merger, again with North Wales being the option to maintain four teams.

“Subsequently, those discussions also broke down and we were approached again last week by the Ospreys to reconsider a merger.

“Heads of terms were agreed and signed by the Ospreys and Scarlets on March 1 on terms we believe our supporters would be happy with. This was to be proposed at a meeting of the PRB on Tuesday afternoon, but we were told at the start of that meeting that the Ospreys had changed their mind.

“The merger is off the table.

“In recent years, the Scarlets have been building steadily to regain our place as one of Europe’s leading sides. We have a superb stadium, great staff, loyal and passionate supporters and a team to be proud of. We know that the problems regarding Welsh rugby have not gone away but we remain committed to the best interests of the Scarlets and the game in Wales.”

Ospreys on 13:24 - Mar 6 with 2517 viewsdickythorpe

Well that's that then, "merger is off the table".

That resolved itself quickly.
Ospreys on 13:30 - Mar 6 with 2507 viewsunion_jack

Ospreys on 13:24 - Mar 6 by dickythorpe

Yes, maybe, but the problem hasn’t gone away. Everything seems to be centred around the Ospreys here so it maybe they’ll scrap the region altogether. How despicable would that be.

That said, the crowds aren’t there, so??

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Ospreys on 13:36 - Mar 6 with 2495 viewstheloneranger

Ospreys on 13:24 - Mar 6 by dickythorpe

Fvcking Hell ... The Ospreys must be using the same PR firm as the Swans

Ospreys on 14:12 - Mar 6 with 2452 viewsBanosswan

Ospreys on 23:52 - Mar 5 by TrefynwySwan

Although the Dragons have undoubtedly been our least successful region since the advent of the Regional game, simply moving them north, as suggested by some posters, would be another poor decision.
Relocating the ‘Eastern’ region to the north would disenfranchise another heartland area of Welsh rugby (think Pontypool, Ebbw Vale, Newport etc) in a similar way to the treatment received by the central valleys (Pontypridd, Maesteg, Bridgend etc) during the demise of the Warriors. The Dragons region has more clubs within it than any of the other regions.
Retain the current structure but get the regional sides to engage more effectively with the grassroots. The north can continue to develop through RGC. They aren’t ready for a professional region at the expense of the Ospreys or Dragons.

Ospreys region 77 teams, dragons region 73 teams. No love lost between the clubs you mention and the dragons. When I played for Ebbw there was an active dislike towards them.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Ospreys on 14:38 - Mar 6 with 2422 viewspikeypaul

I see the sell out coont Rob Davies who pocketed £10 million from us despite hating football has taken over from Mike James.

He’s not to happy, good enough for the coont.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Ospreys on 15:05 - Mar 6 with 2406 viewsPozuelosSideys

Ospreys on 14:38 - Mar 6 by pikeypaul

I see the sell out coont Rob Davies who pocketed £10 million from us despite hating football has taken over from Mike James.

He’s not to happy, good enough for the coont.

Given the ongoing legal issues, id not be in a hurry to spend that £10m, especially if he is one of those forced to stump up for the Trust shareholding

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Ospreys on 16:29 - Mar 6 with 2338 viewstheloneranger

Ospreys on 13:18 - Mar 6 by theloneranger

Does this statement mean that the Ospreys cannot afford to play at the Liberty?? ...

Scarlets-Ospreys merger off the table ...

“Firstly, we can confirm the statement issued by the Professional Rugby Board (PRB) on Tuesday afternoon as accurate, as are the comments made by Wales’ national coach that the proposed merger was driven by the regions, in consultation with the PRB.

“In late December, the Scarlets received a high-level approach from the Ospreys to explore the option of a merger as they had come to the conclusion that their position as tenants at the Liberty Stadium was proving to be challenging.

“This was discussed at the two-day strategy meeting of PRB on January 8th and 9th. The loss of a region would have put Welsh rugby in breach of its commitment to having four regions playing in the major competitions. As a result, the option of a team playing out of North Wales was raised.

“By the time of the next PRB meeting on February 5, discussions had broken down between the Scarlets and Ospreys and we were told that the Ospreys and another region were in talks over a possible merger, again with North Wales being the option to maintain four teams.

“Subsequently, those discussions also broke down and we were approached again last week by the Ospreys to reconsider a merger.

“Heads of terms were agreed and signed by the Ospreys and Scarlets on March 1 on terms we believe our supporters would be happy with. This was to be proposed at a meeting of the PRB on Tuesday afternoon, but we were told at the start of that meeting that the Ospreys had changed their mind.

“The merger is off the table.

“In recent years, the Scarlets have been building steadily to regain our place as one of Europe’s leading sides. We have a superb stadium, great staff, loyal and passionate supporters and a team to be proud of. We know that the problems regarding Welsh rugby have not gone away but we remain committed to the best interests of the Scarlets and the game in Wales.”

... And the Ospreys (Rob Davies) reply to the Scarlets ...

Ospreys issue fresh statement ...

The Ospreys have issued a fresh statement this afternoon, describing the situation as a “stitch-up of convenience”.

The club say incoming chairman Rob Davies said today he would be pressing WRU and PRB officials for a clear timetable and actions surrounding Project Reset “as well as reminding them of their duty to comprehensively address options for the future of regional rugby”.

Rob Davies said:

“There are three stark realities. Firstly, the concept of an Ospreys-Scarlets merger is dead and the clock is ticking.

“Secondly, Wales was promised a comprehensive review with nothing off the table, but nothing has yet been put on the table.

“Thirdly, the PRB cynically left it to the regions to have a shoot-out for survival with the clear direction that a region in the West should go and make room for a fourth in the North. We are now where we are as a result.

“It’s hard to look at this situation and not conclude that a stitch-up of convenience has just unravelled before us all. There isn’t a ‘plan B’, because there was never a ‘plan A’.

“Even the PRB has said a western merger was central to their planning, which is frankly mind-boggling. Wishful thinking is not an acceptable replacement for responsible decision-making.

“It’s now time for the grown-ups to get back in the room. It’s time for experienced strategic planning, robust consultation and a methodical process to emerge that is transparent, timely and carries with it the full range of the sport’s stakeholders.

“And this is what I will be discussing with Union and PRB officials over the coming days.”

Ospreys on 17:41 - Mar 6 with 2277 viewsymaohyd

Ospreys on 08:37 - Mar 6 by owainglyndwr

I can see this being another Glamorgan cricket where they have lost some much support in the West.
There should just be 3 regional teams East & West and North .it's ridiculous that they still want to carry on with the Blues and Dragons.....

Absolutely.

Simple really. If everyone would be willing to swallow egos. It will possibly take a generation to engage people, possibly quicker if success on the pitch was achieved, which may be the case with just 3 regions and better funding streams allowing the region's to be more competitive.

Sadly it will never happen though, Cardiff will insist on having Cardiff in a name as will the Scarlets. They missed a golden opportunity back in 2003, instead gave in to the Scarlets and Cardiff.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Ospreys on 19:07 - Mar 6 with 2211 viewsJonathans_coat

Ospreys on 16:29 - Mar 6 by theloneranger

... And the Ospreys (Rob Davies) reply to the Scarlets ...

Ospreys issue fresh statement ...

The Ospreys have issued a fresh statement this afternoon, describing the situation as a “stitch-up of convenience”.

The club say incoming chairman Rob Davies said today he would be pressing WRU and PRB officials for a clear timetable and actions surrounding Project Reset “as well as reminding them of their duty to comprehensively address options for the future of regional rugby”.

Rob Davies said:

“There are three stark realities. Firstly, the concept of an Ospreys-Scarlets merger is dead and the clock is ticking.

“Secondly, Wales was promised a comprehensive review with nothing off the table, but nothing has yet been put on the table.

“Thirdly, the PRB cynically left it to the regions to have a shoot-out for survival with the clear direction that a region in the West should go and make room for a fourth in the North. We are now where we are as a result.

“It’s hard to look at this situation and not conclude that a stitch-up of convenience has just unravelled before us all. There isn’t a ‘plan B’, because there was never a ‘plan A’.

“Even the PRB has said a western merger was central to their planning, which is frankly mind-boggling. Wishful thinking is not an acceptable replacement for responsible decision-making.

“It’s now time for the grown-ups to get back in the room. It’s time for experienced strategic planning, robust consultation and a methodical process to emerge that is transparent, timely and carries with it the full range of the sport’s stakeholders.

“And this is what I will be discussing with Union and PRB officials over the coming days.”

Have to say I agree with him (as much as that makes me sick as a swans fan!).

On the face of it, it indeed looks like a “stitch-up” by the WRU and the other regions at the Ospreys expense. It appears to me, direction has come from the WRU, and the other regions have colluded to save their own skin, and effectively dupe the Ospreys into agreeing a “takeover” on biased terms. This is why we have this bizarre pre-arranged PR strategy from the WRU/PRB that it was all the Ospreys idea, which is clearly nonsense.

It’s very clear to me that the WRU have had it in for the Ospreys since their founding, and they are incapable of being the impartial governors of the clubs and sport they were set up to protect.
Ospreys on 21:39 - Mar 6 with 2120 viewsAndy1300

Ospreys on 19:07 - Mar 6 by Jonathans_coat

Have to say I agree with him (as much as that makes me sick as a swans fan!).

On the face of it, it indeed looks like a “stitch-up” by the WRU and the other regions at the Ospreys expense. It appears to me, direction has come from the WRU, and the other regions have colluded to save their own skin, and effectively dupe the Ospreys into agreeing a “takeover” on biased terms. This is why we have this bizarre pre-arranged PR strategy from the WRU/PRB that it was all the Ospreys idea, which is clearly nonsense.

It’s very clear to me that the WRU have had it in for the Ospreys since their founding, and they are incapable of being the impartial governors of the clubs and sport they were set up to protect.

Without the Ospreys, Wales wouldn't have the players they do.

Number 1 team in Wales

Ospreys on 22:31 - Mar 6 with 2086 viewstheloneranger

Ospreys on 21:39 - Mar 6 by Andy1300

Without the Ospreys, Wales wouldn't have the players they do.

Alun Wyn Jones , Sam Davies, Nicky Smith, Scott Baldwin, Dan Evans and many more Osprey players are out of contract at the end of the season.

Ospreys on 22:42 - Mar 6 with 2074 viewsPentyrchJack

In a rugby context, merging Ospreys with Scarlets would like merging Swans and those up the M4.

Poll: Fox Hunting - what do you think?

Ospreys on 08:57 - Mar 7 with 1944 viewsowainglyndwr

Only problem now is on the news they are calling the Ospreys a Swansea team which it is not.
It's a regional team with Neath Aberavon and Bridgend etc at the moment.
Dare I say but Neath pulled the Whites out of the sh@t by the formation of the Ospreys.
At the time financial the whites were on their knees.
Ospreys on 09:17 - Mar 7 with 1927 viewsLoyal

Ospreys on 08:57 - Mar 7 by owainglyndwr

Only problem now is on the news they are calling the Ospreys a Swansea team which it is not.
It's a regional team with Neath Aberavon and Bridgend etc at the moment.
Dare I say but Neath pulled the Whites out of the sh@t by the formation of the Ospreys.
At the time financial the whites were on their knees.

Rugby can't support itself and crowds wise it's a joke.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Ospreys on 09:21 - Mar 7 with 1924 viewsTrefynwySwan

Ospreys on 14:12 - Mar 6 by Banosswan

Ospreys region 77 teams, dragons region 73 teams. No love lost between the clubs you mention and the dragons. When I played for Ebbw there was an active dislike towards them.

The incorporation of the 20 or so clubs from the former Celtic Warriors region around Bridgend and Maesteg made the expanded Ospreys slightly bigger than the Dragons.

The parochialism of Welsh rugby and the Gwent valleys is well known. However, my personal experience of club and district rugby, as a coach and parent, makes me think the mistakes of the past have been recognised and lessons learnt. Both the Dragons and the Wales U20’s have trained at our club and engaged with the kids. My son’s junior club team have been Guard of Honour and represented the Dragons home and away when they’ve played in European competition. The Dragons players and coaches regularly attend club events and support the clubs coaches with CPD. There are many other examples of efforts to build loyalty, identity and support. Bridges are being built. Having said that, my boys still support the Ospreys (and the Swans of course)!!

If a restructure were to result in East, West and North for instance, this could work if the old allegiances were put aside and the new identities really involved the grassroots.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024