Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? 11:42 - Feb 2 with 11380 viewsDarran

https://membership.theguardian.com/uk/supporter?INTCMP=mem_uk_banner

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 20:02 - Feb 3 with 1689 viewsexiledclaseboy

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 19:57 - Feb 3 by blueytheblue

Indeed, ECB. You do have to admit though that regardless of political leanings, the Guardian has a higher ratio of "up own arse" columnist article headings than other papers.

Previous post applies. Will depend entirely on your perspective. I tend to avoid the ones I don't like as I do from other papers, apart from some Mail/Express columnists for comedy value. I do realise though that some people like to read things just so they can vehemently disagree with them.

Poll: Tory leader

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 20:06 - Feb 3 with 1685 viewsDarran

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 20:02 - Feb 3 by exiledclaseboy

Previous post applies. Will depend entirely on your perspective. I tend to avoid the ones I don't like as I do from other papers, apart from some Mail/Express columnists for comedy value. I do realise though that some people like to read things just so they can vehemently disagree with them.

You do get some decent stories in the Guardian from time to time.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/apr/21/cheap-trick-we-got-asked-to-play-f

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 20:15 - Feb 3 with 1678 viewsswanjackal

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 20:06 - Feb 3 by Darran

You do get some decent stories in the Guardian from time to time.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/apr/21/cheap-trick-we-got-asked-to-play-f

Well you could have at least linked to one

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 20:16 - Feb 3 with 1675 viewsDarran

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 20:15 - Feb 3 by swanjackal

Well you could have at least linked to one

Oof.

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 20:24 - Feb 3 with 1670 viewsswanjackal

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 20:16 - Feb 3 by Darran

Oof.

I just seen I down arrowed the OP, didn't mean it. Must have hit it downscaling, only ever intentionally up arrow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 20:28 - Feb 3 with 1665 viewsDarran

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 20:24 - Feb 3 by swanjackal

I just seen I down arrowed the OP, didn't mean it. Must have hit it downscaling, only ever intentionally up arrow.

I don't take any notice of that bollox anyway.

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 20:29 - Feb 3 with 1662 viewsswanjackal

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 20:28 - Feb 3 by Darran

I don't take any notice of that bollox anyway.

Just clarifying, just altered it.

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 20:42 - Feb 3 with 1653 viewswaynekerr55

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 19:31 - Feb 3 by skippyjack

I wonder if he has ever ventured into the German franchise known as Lidl's?.. I know people from London are scared to eat from such establishments.. I have had a nibble and drink at from both.. Lidl's has some uknowm gems.. waitrose churns out the same old garbage..

I'm surprised perchie hasn't put up his list of Friday delights yet.

As for the Guardian.. a newspaper full of agenda and hypocrisy.. just like every newspaper known to man.

The Dr's of 'real' journalism have simply given up with the new processed breed of incumbents taking their roles..

A bit like all you oldies running down the young bloods of this country.. screaming.. only if I was 40 years younger..

These people are scared?

No, just pompous 😂

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Login to get fewer ads

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 20:53 - Feb 3 with 1643 viewsLoyal

The guardian, the saviour of the real people's ideal.

Editor wants to legalise drugs ( but isn't too fussed on the current dealers )
Hates the old bill ( till the cnt wants them )
Refugees welcome ( but not in my backyard)
We hate Trump ( well it's the In thing to say )
No university charges ( well after all I need to buy drugs, not fund my kids to buy .... drugs )
Slags off bankers ( as they stash their 90k a year salaries in to .... banks )
Wants equal rights for people who already have them.
And - despises racism as the hundredth article of the week supporting Palestine flys off the press.

I hope they explode in their own filthy detritus.
Politics or maybe just poly tricks.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 20:59 - Feb 3 with 1632 viewsFieryJack

Ah well, I only buy The Guardian once a week, on a Saturday, and, if I'm lucky, I finish it the following Friday.

Nowt any of you wind-bags have said on here has dissuaded me from doing the same tomorrow morning - once, that is, I've breakfasted on Icelandic yoghurt & blueberries, organic granola, toasted sourdough bread & a soft boiled egg.

Ain't life great?

By the way, I'd like to know which rags you lot read - so I can rag 'em!
Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 22:39 - Feb 3 with 1605 viewsKerouac

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 20:59 - Feb 3 by FieryJack

Ah well, I only buy The Guardian once a week, on a Saturday, and, if I'm lucky, I finish it the following Friday.

Nowt any of you wind-bags have said on here has dissuaded me from doing the same tomorrow morning - once, that is, I've breakfasted on Icelandic yoghurt & blueberries, organic granola, toasted sourdough bread & a soft boiled egg.

Ain't life great?

By the way, I'd like to know which rags you lot read - so I can rag 'em!

I read 'The Guardian' occasionally, also; 'The Times', 'The I' (I used to read 'The Independent' more often than all the others), 'The Economist', 'Private Eye' and various tabloids (mostly online).
Variety is great, and I keep in mind at all times the perspective of those writing...but 'The Guardian' is without doubt the most pretentious and open to ridicule publication in the UK.

What I find so amusing, being from a working class background and of the "left", is the fact that 99% of Guardian writers are privately educated and from super privileged backgrounds...I should be their target audience, but the paper is basically one long sneer from people with a fantastic superiority complex.
You can't read it and not come away with the feeling that they don't like this country very much and can't stand the people they need to vote for the left.
They have causes, but the working class (the people I know and love) are not one of these causes...they would claim different, but in truth they just pay lip service to the interests of the working class in this country.
The causes they ARE passionate about usually put the paper directly at odds with the majority of us.

Silly, spoiled, sanctimonious, self absorbed, smug, toff, tw*ts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 23:11 - Feb 3 with 1590 viewsFieryJack

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 22:39 - Feb 3 by Kerouac

I read 'The Guardian' occasionally, also; 'The Times', 'The I' (I used to read 'The Independent' more often than all the others), 'The Economist', 'Private Eye' and various tabloids (mostly online).
Variety is great, and I keep in mind at all times the perspective of those writing...but 'The Guardian' is without doubt the most pretentious and open to ridicule publication in the UK.

What I find so amusing, being from a working class background and of the "left", is the fact that 99% of Guardian writers are privately educated and from super privileged backgrounds...I should be their target audience, but the paper is basically one long sneer from people with a fantastic superiority complex.
You can't read it and not come away with the feeling that they don't like this country very much and can't stand the people they need to vote for the left.
They have causes, but the working class (the people I know and love) are not one of these causes...they would claim different, but in truth they just pay lip service to the interests of the working class in this country.
The causes they ARE passionate about usually put the paper directly at odds with the majority of us.

Silly, spoiled, sanctimonious, self absorbed, smug, toff, tw*ts.

Is the right answer.

Agree with just about all of that.

Working class background myself, so I get what you're saying. Find the Saturday magazine supplement especially irritating, where the "life-style" articles & advertising betray it's core audience: privileged, well-heeled, London-centric trendies - people I have nowt in common with.

A sweeping generalisation, I know.

Yes, I often blow a fuse when reading it & their restaurant critic enrages me so much I've given up reading her articles.

Still, the general drift of its opinions reflect mine, so I won't be giving up on it just yet.
Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 02:25 - Feb 4 with 1560 viewsHighjack

I like it myself. Soft, strong, and thoroughly absorbent.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 02:58 - Feb 4 with 1553 viewsAnotherJohn

The Guardian was my paper of choice not so long ago, but I became totally disillusioned with its coverage of the refugee 'crisis' and then Brexit, as did many long-time readers. The final straw was first its online comments moderation policy, where most dissenting posts were removed, and then its overt censorship in simply scrapping online comments on these topics altogether. The rag now has an awful record as a purveyor of false news, for example on topics like Alan Kurdi, the claim that all three Stade de France bombers were EU nationals, and post-referendum Armageddon.. Intellectual integrity is in short supply, e.g.cf

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/14/left-reject-eu-greece-euro

with:

: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/28/succumb-brexit-disaster-sa

I am reluctant even to give the website advertising clicks.
Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 09:26 - Feb 4 with 1524 viewsjohnlangy

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 12:44 - Feb 2 by swanjackal

I suppose you could change "right" with "left" and "Guardian" with "Daily Mail" and this would be the exact response of someone on the other side of the fence.

Actually you couldn't say 'most are either far left wing' because they are not.

Most are on the right.
Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 09:28 - Feb 4 with 1520 viewsblueytheblue

Can't remember the last time I bought a paper. Get the latest articles online - if behind a paywall, sod it.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 09:43 - Feb 4 with 1511 viewsswanjackal

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 09:26 - Feb 4 by johnlangy

Most are on the right.

Depends on your views again.

I don't think you could say most are "far right wing" either. If you take away the far, then it would be better. And as I was saying, this is just what you typically get from people heavily invested on both sides. Extremes tend to see the centre skewed against their own view.

One thing that is interesting though, looking at the distribution of the Guardian in line with the original post, there has been a 50% decline in just 6 years, and sells 1.5 million less copies per month than the diametrically opposite Daily Mail as of Jan 2016. I would be surprised to see the Guardian,in its current printed form, survive another 2-3 years.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2017 9:49]

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 09:46 - Feb 4 with 1504 viewsswanjackal

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 09:28 - Feb 4 by blueytheblue

Can't remember the last time I bought a paper. Get the latest articles online - if behind a paywall, sod it.

Only one I buy is the Daily star on a Saturday, the wife reads the crap in the front, I skim for tits, and then read the sport, and do the football crossword.

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 09:46 - Feb 4 with 1502 viewsJack_Meoff

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 19:31 - Feb 3 by skippyjack

I wonder if he has ever ventured into the German franchise known as Lidl's?.. I know people from London are scared to eat from such establishments.. I have had a nibble and drink at from both.. Lidl's has some uknowm gems.. waitrose churns out the same old garbage..

I'm surprised perchie hasn't put up his list of Friday delights yet.

As for the Guardian.. a newspaper full of agenda and hypocrisy.. just like every newspaper known to man.

The Dr's of 'real' journalism have simply given up with the new processed breed of incumbents taking their roles..

A bit like all you oldies running down the young bloods of this country.. screaming.. only if I was 40 years younger..

3rd and 4th paragraphs, bang on skip.

Currently reading this:

http://www.flatearthnews.net/

Not long into it, but according to the author the only motive for the media barons is profit, not reporting factually. And the amount of copy that gets printed that goes unchecked is eye opening. Backed by stats by a study at Cardiff University. 'Churnalism' is the order of the day.

To me the death of printed media can't come soon enough. Looking at you Murdoch, Rotheremere, Barclays, Desmond...
[Post edited 4 Feb 2017 9:47]

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 09:47 - Feb 4 with 1501 viewsDr_Winston

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 09:26 - Feb 4 by johnlangy

Most are on the right.

Of the nationally published daily newspapers:

Right - Sun, Mail, Express, Telegraph, Times

Left - Mirror, Guardian, Independent, Financial Times, Morning Star

Neutral - Daily Star

If you include the Sunday People and the Observer then most are on the left.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 10:28 - Feb 4 with 1478 viewsHumpty

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 09:47 - Feb 4 by Dr_Winston

Of the nationally published daily newspapers:

Right - Sun, Mail, Express, Telegraph, Times

Left - Mirror, Guardian, Independent, Financial Times, Morning Star

Neutral - Daily Star

If you include the Sunday People and the Observer then most are on the left.

Heh!

Most of the press is left wing. If you include the Observer but leave out the Sunday Times, Sunday Telegraph, Mail on Sunday, Express on Sunday, Sun on Sunday etc. And if you take the Star to be neutral of course.

Good effort though. It would fool the thick c*nts on here.

It's already got one.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2017 10:30]
Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 10:30 - Feb 4 with 1472 viewsMurph75

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 09:46 - Feb 4 by swanjackal

Only one I buy is the Daily star on a Saturday, the wife reads the crap in the front, I skim for tits, and then read the sport, and do the football crossword.

Classy couple.
Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 10:31 - Feb 4 with 1469 viewsswanjackal

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 10:30 - Feb 4 by Murph75

Classy couple.

Thank you.

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 10:32 - Feb 4 with 1462 viewsMurph75

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 10:31 - Feb 4 by swanjackal

Thank you.

You're very welcome. Do you swing?
Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 10:33 - Feb 4 with 1458 viewsswanjackal

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 10:32 - Feb 4 by Murph75

You're very welcome. Do you swing?

I don't think you'd be my wife's type. You might be mine though ;)
[Post edited 4 Feb 2017 10:34]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024