Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote 16:59 - Jun 3 with 8249 viewsdonkeylabour

I'm bored senseless of hearing this mentioned, as usual completely by accident of course a 17 yr old lad on QT was moaning he couldn't have a say.

Diddums, if 16 yr olds can vote surely we should lower the age of alcohol for instance to 16 why is that 18?

I don't know about you guys but politics was hardly at the front of my mind at 16 and I'm sure that speaks for most people - I would argue 21 would be more appropriate to vote if anything.

Because you have a few shouty geeks doesn't mean it should be lowered. What happens if the general election falls when they're 15 and they have a right to vote at 16? Is that outrageous to, they may not vote in a general election till they're 20 in this scenario.

It's an inevitable thing now and I just ask, why? Beyond narrow party advantage.

My father voted labour and his father voted labour and his father voted labour so I vote labour

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:37 - Jun 3 with 1324 viewsexiledclaseboy

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:37 - Jun 3 by donkeylabour

who

**taps nose**

Poll: Tory leader

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:38 - Jun 3 with 1322 viewsexiledclaseboy

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:37 - Jun 3 by donkeylabour

That would make more sense to me and is worth debate.

You've even said yourself there has to be a cut off.

There we are see, when you drop the populist posturing and pandering you start to make sense agai.

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:39 - Jun 3 with 1320 viewsdonkeylabour

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:38 - Jun 3 by exiledclaseboy

There we are see, when you drop the populist posturing and pandering you start to make sense agai.

Are you seriously saying that I'm doing this for effect. Bitch.

My father voted labour and his father voted labour and his father voted labour so I vote labour

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:40 - Jun 3 with 1319 viewsLoyal

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:23 - Jun 3 by donkeylabour

Why not 15 yr olds?

Answer my question about alcohol and in relation to marriage that is with parental consent.

A 15 year old girl with two kids in a flat round the corner from me. Put there by social services, I mean what more can they do ?
She is now 17, drugs, fights and loads of problems there.
We all pay when we take their youth away.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:42 - Jun 3 with 1309 viewsexiledclaseboy

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:39 - Jun 3 by donkeylabour

Are you seriously saying that I'm doing this for effect. Bitch.

I know. As if you'd do such a thing...

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:46 - Jun 3 with 1299 viewsnice_to_michu

Yeh, I'm not a fan of 16 year-olds voting to be honest.

Until we make it mandatory for children to be educated in government, instituitions, civic duty etc etc, I think 18 is the correct age.

Because of the lack of proper education, I don't think school-leavers appreciate how important it is to vote and have a basic understanding of the country works.
Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:48 - Jun 3 with 1292 viewsexiledclaseboy

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:46 - Jun 3 by nice_to_michu

Yeh, I'm not a fan of 16 year-olds voting to be honest.

Until we make it mandatory for children to be educated in government, instituitions, civic duty etc etc, I think 18 is the correct age.

Because of the lack of proper education, I don't think school-leavers appreciate how important it is to vote and have a basic understanding of the country works.

So make that kind of education mandatory and then extend the franchise.

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:10 - Jun 3 with 1266 viewsskippyjack

Voting is pointless.. it genuinely is..

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Login to get fewer ads

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:11 - Jun 3 with 1261 viewsexiledclaseboy

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:10 - Jun 3 by skippyjack

Voting is pointless.. it genuinely is..

Do you vote?

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:13 - Jun 3 with 1256 viewsskippyjack

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:11 - Jun 3 by exiledclaseboy

Do you vote?

No.. because I know it's pointless..

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:14 - Jun 3 with 1251 viewsexiledclaseboy

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:13 - Jun 3 by skippyjack

No.. because I know it's pointless..

Good.

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:27 - Jun 3 with 1238 viewsskippyjack

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:14 - Jun 3 by exiledclaseboy

Good.

I find it amusing that a civil servant in a mediocre role, mediocre job advocates to be a political juggernaut.. you're the most warped.. increasingly tedious poster on this site.. why don't you have a chat with a few MPs calling their parties a f*cking shambles?.. the most sensible thing is for everyone to not vote.. but can you see that?.. it's obvious the Labour party are giving you a few 'quid' and a half decent living.. but it doesn't apply to everyone.. as you well know.. how is the asthma going by the way?.. eyesight and twitches becoming more frequent?

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:28 - Jun 3 with 1234 viewsBanosswan

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:22 - Jun 3 by exiledclaseboy

Bitch. Only because you know I'm right. If 16 year olds were likely to vote Tory en masse you'd be all for it. If Wales voted Tory en masse you'd be all for that too. Simple fact.

We allow 16 year olds to marry, have sex, leave education and enter the world of work, be detained for crimes, consent to their own medical treatment, ride a motorcycle (and a car in certain circumstances), gamble, join the army. All decisions with far more potentially damaging consequences than voting. Yet you don't want them to have the right to put a cross in a box on the basis that they aren't "mature" enough. And you call me sanctimonious...

But most of your examples above have added caveats. As it is 'just putting a tick in a box' there aren't many caveats you can add.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:31 - Jun 3 with 1220 viewsexiledclaseboy

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:27 - Jun 3 by skippyjack

I find it amusing that a civil servant in a mediocre role, mediocre job advocates to be a political juggernaut.. you're the most warped.. increasingly tedious poster on this site.. why don't you have a chat with a few MPs calling their parties a f*cking shambles?.. the most sensible thing is for everyone to not vote.. but can you see that?.. it's obvious the Labour party are giving you a few 'quid' and a half decent living.. but it doesn't apply to everyone.. as you well know.. how is the asthma going by the way?.. eyesight and twitches becoming more frequent?

Love you too, Skip. What do you know about my "mediocre" job then handsome? How does the Labour Party in any way pay my wages? And I haven't got asthma.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2016 20:34]

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:33 - Jun 3 with 1218 viewsexiledclaseboy

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:28 - Jun 3 by Banosswan

But most of your examples above have added caveats. As it is 'just putting a tick in a box' there aren't many caveats you can add.

I've said above that a couple of them need parental consent. We've already thought of a couple of potential caveats for extending the franchise in the thread. It's just a point of view, others have a different one.

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:35 - Jun 3 with 1173 viewsskippyjack

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:31 - Jun 3 by exiledclaseboy

Love you too, Skip. What do you know about my "mediocre" job then handsome? How does the Labour Party in any way pay my wages? And I haven't got asthma.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2016 20:34]

I don't know nothing.. but I know people who do..

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:36 - Jun 3 with 1167 viewstrolley_jack

As far as the EU referendum goes why should a 85 year old have the right to vote when they will not be much longer on this earth, Yet someone who is 16 and will have to live with the consequences of the result will not have the chance to vote?

At 16 they have legally finished their education, they can get married and get a job. They can even join the armed forces. If the age for those things was higher and people were obliged by law to continue their education until 18 or 21 I would agree with you, but it is not the case. In my opinion votes for 17 or maybe 16 year olds will come eventually. No doubt if or when it comes many wouldn’t bother to vote anyway, probably all be sha gging and having fun and doing the things the rest of you are too old to do anymore. Then the bitter old kents on here can find something else to moan about.

Age does not necessarily bring wisdom, despite what some think
Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:37 - Jun 3 with 1163 viewsexiledclaseboy

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:35 - Jun 3 by skippyjack

Ah right so people tell you about me and my job do they? Tell me what they tell you.

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:38 - Jun 3 with 1159 viewsBanosswan

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:33 - Jun 3 by exiledclaseboy

I've said above that a couple of them need parental consent. We've already thought of a couple of potential caveats for extending the franchise in the thread. It's just a point of view, others have a different one.

By educating youngsters, how do you ensure political bias doesn't slip in?

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:39 - Jun 3 with 1158 viewsJackfath

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:35 - Jun 3 by skippyjack

So you know something?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:40 - Jun 3 with 1158 viewsexiledclaseboy

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:38 - Jun 3 by Banosswan

By educating youngsters, how do you ensure political bias doesn't slip in?

Doesn't that apply to all education? By applying a set curriculum and set texts. I'm not a teacher but I'm sure there'd be consequences if a teacher tried imposing their personal political views on classes of youngsters.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2016 20:41]

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:40 - Jun 3 with 1157 viewsskippyjack

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:36 - Jun 3 by trolley_jack

As far as the EU referendum goes why should a 85 year old have the right to vote when they will not be much longer on this earth, Yet someone who is 16 and will have to live with the consequences of the result will not have the chance to vote?

At 16 they have legally finished their education, they can get married and get a job. They can even join the armed forces. If the age for those things was higher and people were obliged by law to continue their education until 18 or 21 I would agree with you, but it is not the case. In my opinion votes for 17 or maybe 16 year olds will come eventually. No doubt if or when it comes many wouldn’t bother to vote anyway, probably all be sha gging and having fun and doing the things the rest of you are too old to do anymore. Then the bitter old kents on here can find something else to moan about.

Age does not necessarily bring wisdom, despite what some think

The first paragraph is simple.. an 85 year old has got family.. grandchildren.. and has paid his taxes.. he has more right than anyone..

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:42 - Jun 3 with 1148 viewsskippyjack

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:37 - Jun 3 by exiledclaseboy

Ah right so people tell you about me and my job do they? Tell me what they tell you.

Not you particularly.. but the job.

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:43 - Jun 3 with 1144 viewsexiledclaseboy

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:42 - Jun 3 by skippyjack

Not you particularly.. but the job.

What do they tell you about it? Do they know what every single role at the place I work in entails?

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:46 - Jun 3 with 1139 viewsskippyjack

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 20:43 - Jun 3 by exiledclaseboy

What do they tell you about it? Do they know what every single role at the place I work in entails?

Well.. considering it is run by the govt.. and I talk to MPs.. it's not beyond the realms of impossibility.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024