Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Smyth...... 10:36 - Jun 22 with 46227 viewsDoudou87

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/ainsworth-interested-in-bringing-back-former

Poll: Preferred rumoured CB

Paul Smyth...... on 21:49 - Jun 23 with 4554 viewskensalriser

Smyth is a gamble worth taking if it's a cheap one, I'm less keen on Scowen who hasn't played a minute of Championship football since he left and is now 30.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Paul Smyth...... on 13:11 - Jun 24 with 4078 viewsswisscottage

Put it this way.

If he'd never been with us before and we'd never let him go, he's exactly he's sort of lower league player we should be looking at and happy to take a chance on especially as he'll be free.

If we don't take, I reckon another Championship club will.
Paul Smyth...... on 14:21 - Jun 24 with 3877 viewsYorkshirehoop

I am not impressed one bit.
There is a reason we let him go, I know players can improve with age but banging in goals in league two is a far cry from the championship.
Is he gonna get double figures ? I
I seriously doubt it.
Paul Smyth...... on 14:26 - Jun 24 with 3855 viewsDorse

Paul Smyth...... on 14:21 - Jun 24 by Yorkshirehoop

There is a reason we let him go, I know players can improve with age but banging in goals in league two is a far cry from the championship.
I seriously doubt it.

Forget double figures. Figures would be an improvement on our midfield last season.

Personally, I'd love him to come back and forcibly prove his point. Lord knows, I was delighted to be proved wrong about Paul Furlong.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Paul Smyth...... on 15:01 - Jun 24 with 3752 viewsQPR_John

Paul Smyth...... on 14:21 - Jun 24 by Yorkshirehoop

I seriously doubt it.

We are hardly in a position to get players who have been banging them in in the Championship.
Paul Smyth...... on 15:42 - Jun 24 with 3626 viewshighleverhoopL

It is similar to the the Bonne signing except Bonne had somehow scored 12 (I think) goals in the Championship and cost alot of money.
Paul Smyth...... on 16:25 - Jun 24 with 3513 viewsslmrstid

Paul Smyth...... on 17:40 - Jun 23 by Northernr

That 99/00 season was such a strange one. We'd been sht and getting worse for years, the finances were fcked, incredibly lucky not to be relegated the season before, summer transfer activity was things like jermaine darlington, ross weare and stuart wardley all from very deep non-league, and then we went out and beat Huddersfield day one who'd spent more than anybody else that summer and just booted on from there. So so much went right - two of the non league gambles turned out to be good first teamers, Langley came out of the youth team and was great, Kiwomya and Steiner a very good strike force, Gavin Peacock went on some ludicrous personal scoring run.

It's actually one of the seasons I remember enjoying the most. Had some great days, winning at Blackpool, Torquay in the cup, taking over Walsall's ground, winning 3-1 at Man City where the away end was a temporary stand perched up on some grass bank.

Following season everything went back to being sht again. Kiwomya and Steiner got injured. Furlong brought to replace Steiner got injured. The non-league players went back to being non league players.

99/00 was the first season I had a season ticket for with my Dad and given my childhood to that point (1995 onwards...) had had QPR being mostly rubbish it was great to see a decent QPR team that did well, won games at home and away, and was mostly top half of the league. I think we drew 7 in a row at one point that season though which probably stopped us from challenging for the play-offs.

Fun times, fond memories.
Paul Smyth...... on 16:31 - Jun 24 with 3492 viewsjeffranger

Paul Smyth...... on 16:25 - Jun 24 by slmrstid

99/00 was the first season I had a season ticket for with my Dad and given my childhood to that point (1995 onwards...) had had QPR being mostly rubbish it was great to see a decent QPR team that did well, won games at home and away, and was mostly top half of the league. I think we drew 7 in a row at one point that season though which probably stopped us from challenging for the play-offs.

Fun times, fond memories.

What’s that got to do with Paul Smyth’s topic?
Login to get fewer ads

Paul Smyth...... on 17:34 - Jun 24 with 3309 viewsMatch82

Paul Smyth...... on 17:40 - Jun 23 by Northernr

That 99/00 season was such a strange one. We'd been sht and getting worse for years, the finances were fcked, incredibly lucky not to be relegated the season before, summer transfer activity was things like jermaine darlington, ross weare and stuart wardley all from very deep non-league, and then we went out and beat Huddersfield day one who'd spent more than anybody else that summer and just booted on from there. So so much went right - two of the non league gambles turned out to be good first teamers, Langley came out of the youth team and was great, Kiwomya and Steiner a very good strike force, Gavin Peacock went on some ludicrous personal scoring run.

It's actually one of the seasons I remember enjoying the most. Had some great days, winning at Blackpool, Torquay in the cup, taking over Walsall's ground, winning 3-1 at Man City where the away end was a temporary stand perched up on some grass bank.

Following season everything went back to being sht again. Kiwomya and Steiner got injured. Furlong brought to replace Steiner got injured. The non-league players went back to being non league players.

In terms of rips in the space time continuum, which was a stranger phenomenon, that season from Stuart Wardley or Patrick Agyemang's ludicrous 7 or 8 game streak?
Paul Smyth...... on 17:40 - Jun 24 with 3279 viewsslmrstid

Paul Smyth...... on 16:31 - Jun 24 by jeffranger

Nothing but I was replying to Northern's post, in this very same topic, talking about that season, which several people have also done.

There's only so much of Paul Smyth you can have over 7 pages you know without the topic meandering somewhat

Edit - I don't give negative votes very often, but I consider your reply nonsense, so you get one. Well done!
[Post edited 24 Jun 2023 17:40]
Paul Smyth...... on 18:00 - Jun 24 with 3208 viewscolinallcars

Paul Smyth...... on 14:26 - Jun 24 by Dorse

Forget double figures. Figures would be an improvement on our midfield last season.

Personally, I'd love him to come back and forcibly prove his point. Lord knows, I was delighted to be proved wrong about Paul Furlong.

I had my doubts about Alf Ridyard in 1938, but he turned out alright.
Paul Smyth...... on 18:41 - Jun 24 with 3119 viewsE15Hoop

Paul Smyth...... on 16:31 - Jun 24 by jeffranger

If you had taken the time to look back through the thread before commenting, you would have seen for yourself.
Paul Smyth...... on 19:39 - Jun 24 with 2997 viewscyprusmel

We are up to seven pages now about the merits or otherwise of the erstwhile Paul Smythe but is there any indication anywhere that he will sign or wants to sign?
We might be getting excited or not over something that may not happen.
Paul Smyth...... on 23:07 - Jun 24 with 2748 viewsQPROslo

Paul Smyth...... on 15:01 - Jun 24 by QPR_John

We are hardly in a position to get players who have been banging them in in the Championship.

No. But I'd prefer one who bangs in a few more or at least a few in League 1. Think we need to be targeting the best or most promising from lower Leagues not filling the Squad with them.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2023 23:08]
Paul Smyth...... on 23:18 - Jun 24 with 2713 viewsLblock

Would I buy Paul Smyth?

Shirts yes, polo shirts yes, players? Mmmmmmmm, unsure

I was a big fan as he tried to breakthrough
Busy, chippy, good shot on him, pace….. I like.
Hope his return to W12 sees him find another level and a another dimension

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Paul Smyth...... on 09:00 - Jun 25 with 2446 viewsYorkshirehoop

Paul Smyth...... on 10:50 - Jun 22 by QPROslo

Never thought he looked good enough at Championship level when he was with us a long time ago now. He may have improved somewhat but if we fill our squad with League 1 or 2 Level players that's where we'll end up.

Couldn't agree more !
Paul Smyth...... on 09:12 - Jun 25 with 2418 viewsQPR_Jim

Paul Smyth...... on 23:07 - Jun 24 by QPROslo

No. But I'd prefer one who bangs in a few more or at least a few in League 1. Think we need to be targeting the best or most promising from lower Leagues not filling the Squad with them.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2023 23:08]

The best and most promising talent in league 1 is still expensive, Ivan Toney set Brentford back £5m 3 years ago, so that's what all league 1 teams will be aiming for with their star players.
Paul Smyth...... on 13:11 - Jun 25 with 2237 viewsQPROslo

Paul Smyth...... on 09:12 - Jun 25 by QPR_Jim

The best and most promising talent in league 1 is still expensive, Ivan Toney set Brentford back £5m 3 years ago, so that's what all league 1 teams will be aiming for with their star players.

Yes, though the market in general has dropped since then. I think this close season is and will be a difficult, fine, balancing act between raising enough from player sales/cost cutting, and bringing in sufficient quality players to both keep us on the right side of the P&S rules and keeping us above the bottom 3. Potential sale of our highest value players may well not happen until close to the summer window deadline if it happens at all, so expect we will have to be on the cautious side on what we spend until then.
Paul Smyth...... on 13:49 - Jun 25 with 2106 viewsstainrods_elbow

Paul Smyth...... on 09:12 - Jun 25 by QPR_Jim

Which is another reason why the 'Brentford model' won't work for us, as we somehow appear to be unable to spend money on anyone. I heartfeltedly hope I'm wrong, but one reading of the GA appointment is basically to oversee our managed decline. Either way, the auguries are hardly pretty.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2023 13:50]

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Paul Smyth...... on 14:04 - Jun 25 with 2071 viewsQPR_Jim

Paul Smyth...... on 13:11 - Jun 25 by QPROslo

Yes, though the market in general has dropped since then. I think this close season is and will be a difficult, fine, balancing act between raising enough from player sales/cost cutting, and bringing in sufficient quality players to both keep us on the right side of the P&S rules and keeping us above the bottom 3. Potential sale of our highest value players may well not happen until close to the summer window deadline if it happens at all, so expect we will have to be on the cautious side on what we spend until then.

I agree, that's why we're looking at players like Smyth, not because we think he's the best player in the lower leagues but because he's a value option that will add something to the team (Pace/Energy) at a low cost.

He scored a couple more goals than Kelman last season, Kelman is younger and ours, so I hope he can kick on and help provide options in the squad as Armstrong did last season.
Paul Smyth...... on 14:04 - Jun 25 with 2068 viewsterryb

Paul Smyth...... on 19:39 - Jun 24 by cyprusmel

We are up to seven pages now about the merits or otherwise of the erstwhile Paul Smythe but is there any indication anywhere that he will sign or wants to sign?
We might be getting excited or not over something that may not happen.

I think your point is very relevant, although I did receive a message stating that he was training with us on Friday. Did anyone else spot him in the photos the club issued?

I can't remember what he looks like well enough to know if i saw him!
Paul Smyth...... on 14:13 - Jun 25 with 2035 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Paul Smyth...... on 14:04 - Jun 25 by terryb

I think your point is very relevant, although I did receive a message stating that he was training with us on Friday. Did anyone else spot him in the photos the club issued?

I can't remember what he looks like well enough to know if i saw him!

I think he has a great smile and perfect teeth if I remember the match report from Clive when he banged in that winner for us years ago
Paul Smyth...... on 14:29 - Jun 25 with 2002 viewscolinallcars

I'm fairly optimistic about him. He's dynamic and scared Cardiff's giant defenders a few years back.
We need to get some players in quickly.
I was laying in bed with a hangover this morning trying to visualise our eleven for the Watford game.
Archer
Kakay
Paal
AN Other
Paddy McGinty's goat
Nosmo King
Smyth
Field
Kelman
Dozzell
Hugh Rinal
Paul Smyth...... on 14:38 - Jun 25 with 1974 viewsE15Hoop

Paul Smyth...... on 14:29 - Jun 25 by colinallcars

I'm fairly optimistic about him. He's dynamic and scared Cardiff's giant defenders a few years back.
I was laying in bed with a hangover this morning trying to visualise our eleven for the Watford game.
Archer
Kakay
Paal
AN Other
Paddy McGinty's goat
Nosmo King
Smyth
Field
Kelman
Dozzell
Hugh Rinal

Sorry to disappoint you Col, but Hugh Rinal just signed a contract extension with Betws - y- coed Bomabardiers this morning, and Paddy McGinty's Goat was unfortunately sacrificed and served as lunch at the signing-on ceremony.
Paul Smyth...... on 14:39 - Jun 25 with 1962 viewskropotkin41

Paul Smyth...... on 14:29 - Jun 25 by colinallcars

Archer
Kakay
Paal
AN Other
Paddy McGinty's goat
Nosmo King
Smyth
Field
Kelman
Dozzell
Hugh Rinal

I presume Paddy McGinty's Goat is in there to break up opposition moves, put in the odd well-timed head butt, and possibly eat the ball if all else fails. I can't see Paddy letting him go though... is he out of contract?

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024