Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Armstrong 22:57 - Jul 15 with 66689 viewsdigswellhoop

sorry if I'm late Armstrong is a talent sign him on a long contract he will be a great player for us if nurtured properly

This post has been edited by an administrator
Armstrong on 08:31 - Jul 18 with 4392 viewsLandshark

Armstrong on 08:16 - Jul 18 by nix

Not defending Lyndon's goalscoring record - even he would be a bit disappointed - but I do think he does bring more to the team than just goals - defending in the box for instance - that Sinclair doesn't do.

It's why several managers don't freeze him out.

100%.

I was just comparing the stats of our 2 main strikers. Lyndon's stats are still better and brings more to the team.
Armstrong on 08:50 - Jul 18 with 4254 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Agree LS.

Easily said now he's leaving but though there's something eminently lovable about him, if we're all honest with ourselves Sinclair doesn't quite pass the eye / sniff test.To call him raw is a massive understatement. Technically he can look miles off it and it sometimes feels like the rest of the team is taking one just to aid his development when he's picked.

To me he's only ever shown he's an asset as a situational athlete. Even then you'd have to question his final product / quality.

Taking any money now is definitely the right thing to do. If it's £2.5m I actively want him to go ASAP.
Armstrong on 09:26 - Jul 18 with 4056 viewsKonk

Being reported in the local paper that City and Rangers have agreed a £2m fee. Tinnion, the DOF at City, was saying recently how City's forwards have all been a bit samey since Semenyo left, and that they were looking to add someone similar.

Semenyo had loads of power and pace, but his finishing often let him down in his first few years in and around the 1st team. He's ended up being a really decent player, and I guess City are hoping that with similar physical attributes, they can help Sinclair progress in the same way.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Armstrong on 09:28 - Jul 18 with 4034 viewsTheChef

Armstrong on 22:37 - Jul 17 by ParkRoyalR

An incredible sentence, ffs, it's a joke, albeit you've confirmed it to be factually correct so surely the word you were looking for was credible rather than incredible.

Nice bit of back tracking there PRR

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Armstrong on 10:34 - Jul 18 with 3659 viewsqueensparker

Armstrong on 09:26 - Jul 18 by Konk

Being reported in the local paper that City and Rangers have agreed a £2m fee. Tinnion, the DOF at City, was saying recently how City's forwards have all been a bit samey since Semenyo left, and that they were looking to add someone similar.

Semenyo had loads of power and pace, but his finishing often let him down in his first few years in and around the 1st team. He's ended up being a really decent player, and I guess City are hoping that with similar physical attributes, they can help Sinclair progress in the same way.

Wow.

2 million for Armstrong is a great deal for us if we can hefty sell-ons as well.

I'd have loved him to stay as he's entertaining to watch and one of the fastest and strongest players out there, but there's also a good chance he's never going to make it as a striker given his almost complete lack of composure and ball control.

I also feel for him a bit, he's been cut a lot of slack here as a youth player over-promoted to the first team and a bit of a cult figure. I'm not sure how he's going to handle the pressure of being a 2 million signing, and the fans are going to be a lot less patient too.
Armstrong on 10:39 - Jul 18 with 3627 viewsJimboqpr

I'll miss Sinclair he was pretty exciting to watch and was a bit of a character which is a bit unusual in football these days, I loved that interview he gave after he scored his first goal for us against Cardiff last season. Although if he wants to get better, he's probably going to have to channel all that emotion he openly shows on the pitch which was well over the top at times! I always wonder had we been more in stable state for the past two seasons and been able to loan him out to a League One or Two team for a full season how much further along with his development could he have been? I guess we'll never know. Also, slightly worried that if Bristol City see him as a 2 million pound player, then he could actually be very good in the future, as they have an excellent track record at spotting and developing talented young players. From our side though, if he wont sign a new deal and we're getting 2 mil for a guy who (as yet) has very little final product in his game and one year left, then its a no brainer and gives some budget to get another young winger/striker in. Nice to see us finally getting a bit wiser to players/agents who are difficult to deal with on contract negotiation.
Armstrong on 10:43 - Jul 18 with 3572 viewsCateLeBonR

Armstrong on 07:02 - Jul 18 by GroveR

Fat-finger down vote. I love Ocean Billy and their signature dish, "When the Saveoly Gets Rough"

I preferred the ‘locally sourced’ homemade fish pie. “Get out of my Breams, get into my Carp”
Armstrong on 11:06 - Jul 18 with 3369 viewskingsburyR

If he lands in Bristol I wish him the very best and hope he goes on to be the striker a lot on here think he can be. I'm not so hopeful.

If we get £2m for him then someone at our club needs a huge pat on the back.

I also will put money on that he scores against us next season. It's a given that!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Login to get fewer ads

Armstrong on 11:11 - Jul 18 with 3318 viewsrobith

Armstrong on 19:20 - Jul 17 by ParkRoyalR

Interesting that Harry Kane suddenly looked a leaden-footed championship level footballer playing in a team with 6 defenders, who committed no more than 3 other players to their attack, with only himself in the penalty area in a team with no natural width or ability to cut back a decent cross from the bye-line.........now where have I seen this set-up before.........

I don't recall Kane being in the penalty area
Armstrong on 11:18 - Jul 18 with 3232 viewsrobith

I like Sinclair and deffo give him a pass cos he comes through our system and is Irish. But realistically progress for us is getting more than our players are worth and investing that and improving the squad in incremental jumps. I would probably accept £500k for Sinclair in context - getting £2m ish for him is absolutely staggering and a no brainer.
Armstrong on 11:32 - Jul 18 with 3097 viewsted_hendrix

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-sinclair-armstrong-sig

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Armstrong on 11:38 - Jul 18 with 3044 viewsBAWHoops

If we've managed to get £2m for him that's an incredible piece of business.
Maybe he will go on to be a world beater, but across the 2 years he's had here he's looked very far off being ready to lead an attack for a Championship side.
Our 2 worst performances under Marti in 2024 (Stoke a and Sheff Weds h) were when he started up front.

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Armstrong on 11:40 - Jul 18 with 3019 viewsParkRoyalR

Armstrong on 09:28 - Jul 18 by TheChef

Nice bit of back tracking there PRR

Backtracking.....heh?

Northern made a 'show us your medals comment' presumably in jest ie have you ever won a medal (league or cup) as a Manager as presumably you need to have won medals as a Manager before you go to Watford Away and look at Ainsworth's line-up and think omg / wtf this is'nt going to end well; similar to some of Marti's random moments last season until things fell into place in our run-in...

So I replied, similarly in jest, that like Marti, I've never won any medals so presumably don't qualify as a 'high achieving footballing super coach'...
Armstrong on 11:46 - Jul 18 with 2931 viewsParkRoyalR

Armstrong on 11:38 - Jul 18 by BAWHoops

If we've managed to get £2m for him that's an incredible piece of business.
Maybe he will go on to be a world beater, but across the 2 years he's had here he's looked very far off being ready to lead an attack for a Championship side.
Our 2 worst performances under Marti in 2024 (Stoke a and Sheff Weds h) were when he started up front.

Stoke (A) and Sheffield (H), similar to Birmingham City (H) were key must win games and we started Armstrong and Frey respectively as our lone strikers,

Other than R's Twitter, I'm thinking most were looking at those starting line-up's in the same way we did at Watford (A) and thought this is not making the best use of our limited resources and this won't be ending well.

Fortunately Frey pulled up lame, not sure what happened to Armstrong and the rest as they say is history.
Armstrong on 13:22 - Jul 18 with 2412 viewsTonto

Am I weird for being excited by this transfer? I think we have got so e seriously decent money, and if the last few transfers are anything to go by, I think we will be better off for it.

Thus isn't a slight on Armstrong, just I think we will be better off.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: How was the transfer window for you?

Armstrong on 13:36 - Jul 18 with 2273 viewsnick_hammersmith

i bet no fee is announced, so all parties can look good
Armstrong on 13:45 - Jul 18 with 2153 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

No one concerned that there is something in Armstrong they havn’t seen and he really pushes on and delivers for someone else?
Armstrong on 13:47 - Jul 18 with 2125 viewsTheChef

Armstrong on 13:45 - Jul 18 by BazzaInTheLoft

No one concerned that there is something in Armstrong they havn’t seen and he really pushes on and delivers for someone else?

Nope.

I mean good for him if he does, but if we're being offered stupid money to then go out and get a more established striker, that's fine by me.

Armstrong on 13:47 - Jul 18 with 2112 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Reckon he'll get abuse when we play them. After the support he's had from fans (with little actual output), he's really let us down.
Armstrong on 13:52 - Jul 18 with 2055 viewsStrawberryHillR

Given his age and his physique and his pace, if he has a three month hot streak at any point then he's probably going somewhere for £10m. But logistics mean he can't do that with us, we're absolutely maximising our possible return on him, which is to be applauded after years of Mannings, Bright-Samuels, Willocks, etc...
[Post edited 18 Jul 14:04]
Armstrong on 13:53 - Jul 18 with 2036 viewsStainrod

I can only assume if he the headline figure is £2m it will consist of a huge number of ad ons, mainly based on what would currently look like fairly fantastical scenarios eg if sold on for 10m to a Prem League club, etc. Then again the economics of football often leave me scratching my head.
Armstrong on 14:09 - Jul 18 with 1887 viewsrobith

Maybe but it's like calling on a 2 and 4 off suit hoping to get lucky on the river. You gotta play the percentages and fold
Armstrong on 14:10 - Jul 18 with 1860 viewsTheChef

Armstrong on 14:09 - Jul 18 by robith

Maybe but it's like calling on a 2 and 4 off suit hoping to get lucky on the river. You gotta play the percentages and fold

Didn't someone write a song about that?

Armstrong on 14:18 - Jul 18 with 1780 viewsLandshark

Nope.

I've never been more sure looking at a player that he will not be successful. League One is the absolute max standard this player will reach.
Armstrong on 14:31 - Jul 18 with 1696 viewsWadR

Interested by the comparison to Semenyo from a Bristol City perspective. I think Semenyo is far more analogous to Osayi-Samuel in that they were pacey and technically decent but with a few rough edges.

Armstrong technical base level is a mile behind what Semenyo/Osayi-Samuel's was at the same age, imo. Maybe everything clicks for Sincs, think were indications of coaching working last season, with timing of his runs, control of his emotions and his back to goal play and he is still effective at Championship level - but I really don't see a world where he becomes a £10-20m player.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024