Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald 12:15 - Jun 9 with 8614 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/62538/into-the-unknown-by-c

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 14:44 - Jun 9 with 8418 viewsDrigdale

Just pre ordered the book on Amazon. They have it on sale for a maximum price guarantee of £14.69 including delivery.
Appears to be sold by various channels for different prices.
As someone who is not in the know about behind the scenes issues I am looking forward to hearing what Chris has to say.
I have all the books by Mark Hodkinson and hope this new one matches up.
Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 15:45 - Jun 9 with 8333 viewsEdindale

Based on Chris's previous articles, and quality of insight I am very much looking forward to reading this.
Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 23:29 - Jun 10 with 7759 viewsNigeriamark

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 15:45 - Jun 9 by Edindale

Based on Chris's previous articles, and quality of insight I am very much looking forward to reading this.

Hi Chris

Will it come out on Kindle in the near future like the novel you wrote?
Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 21:40 - Jul 31 with 6660 viewsfitzochris

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 23:29 - Jun 10 by Nigeriamark

Hi Chris

Will it come out on Kindle in the near future like the novel you wrote?

Sorry, I I’ve only just remembered to check back on this. Yes, it’s available on Kindle right now - and hopefully everyone has their physical copies after a printer delay?

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 22:05 - Jul 31 with 6554 views442Dale

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 21:40 - Jul 31 by fitzochris

Sorry, I I’ve only just remembered to check back on this. Yes, it’s available on Kindle right now - and hopefully everyone has their physical copies after a printer delay?

For those who’ve heard McNulty’s radio interview tonight, he touched on what the club experienced last season - there are some really interesting insights from him in the book.

Gives a greater appreciation of the difficulties over the last year.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 22:26 - Jul 31 with 6498 viewsjudd

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 22:05 - Jul 31 by 442Dale

For those who’ve heard McNulty’s radio interview tonight, he touched on what the club experienced last season - there are some really interesting insights from him in the book.

Gives a greater appreciation of the difficulties over the last year.

Hopefully can get this stocked in the club shop.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 23:52 - Jul 31 with 6384 viewsEdindale

A very good read with some great insight.
Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 06:29 - Aug 1 with 6215 viewsTalkingSutty

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 22:26 - Jul 31 by judd

A bookshelf in the club shop would be a great idea. Between them, both Chris Fitgerald and Mark Hodkinson have written some very good Dale related books covering different periods of the clubs history. Have a book promotion in the shop with both in attendance to sign copies of their numerous books and the club can include a small mark up for each sale. Maybe do it to tie in with a Xmas promotion and stock the shop with other suitable presents for sale...scarf's/ gloves/ calenders etc. Mince pies and mulled wine would go down well also, alongside a Santa's Grotto for the kids. That would be a great way for the staff to promote the Club shop and boost sales, they could also promote a half season ticket for sale with the players and manager in attendance, a perfect Xmas gift.
[Post edited 1 Aug 7:49]
Login to get fewer ads

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 07:53 - Aug 1 with 6133 viewsDrigdale

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 06:29 - Aug 1 by TalkingSutty

A bookshelf in the club shop would be a great idea. Between them, both Chris Fitgerald and Mark Hodkinson have written some very good Dale related books covering different periods of the clubs history. Have a book promotion in the shop with both in attendance to sign copies of their numerous books and the club can include a small mark up for each sale. Maybe do it to tie in with a Xmas promotion and stock the shop with other suitable presents for sale...scarf's/ gloves/ calenders etc. Mince pies and mulled wine would go down well also, alongside a Santa's Grotto for the kids. That would be a great way for the staff to promote the Club shop and boost sales, they could also promote a half season ticket for sale with the players and manager in attendance, a perfect Xmas gift.

I have just finished the book and certainly would recommend it.
McNulty had so many issues to deal with that were not highlighted to supporters during the season. Our finishing place on reflection was good.
The lack of players meant Mitchell played for a period of time with 2 broken ribs during which time he received unfair criticism.
Also the players were left stranded at a motorway service station for a period of time as the bus company withdrew the bus as the bill hadn't been paid.
There are other examples but my opinion of Big Jim certainly went up after reading the book.
Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 08:20 - Aug 1 with 6103 viewsTalkingSutty

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 07:53 - Aug 1 by Drigdale

I have just finished the book and certainly would recommend it.
McNulty had so many issues to deal with that were not highlighted to supporters during the season. Our finishing place on reflection was good.
The lack of players meant Mitchell played for a period of time with 2 broken ribs during which time he received unfair criticism.
Also the players were left stranded at a motorway service station for a period of time as the bus company withdrew the bus as the bill hadn't been paid.
There are other examples but my opinion of Big Jim certainly went up after reading the book.

Yes, agree regarding last season, the football was tedious to watch at times but overall i think he did a good job when you factor in the off field problems. This season he starts with a clean sheet and has assembled his own squad, strengthened on the squad he had last season. League position is always important but equally so is the style of football and entertainment the paying spectators are witnessing. It's vital that we increase attendances and unless the product on the pitch is worthy of the entrance fee then that makes the task very difficult. Some good signs in the pre-season friendlies though with players who seem happy playing on the front foot, hopefully we'll see that continue throughout the season. Having suffered broken ribs i find it difficult to believe anybody could play football at any level with those injuries. If Mitchell did do then fair play to him.
[Post edited 1 Aug 8:23]
Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 09:30 - Aug 1 with 5971 viewsDrigdale

I think the book illustrates the numerous problems the Club faced last year. Reading between the lines I suspect there were many more that Chris was not allowed to write about.
Supporters should allow a little more time for the new board to put everything in order, there is certainly lots to be done. The main positive is that we know that there is lots being done behind the scenes with the Ogdens backing.
As for Jim he certainly has more chance of providing the fans with a better football experience than we had to endure last season.
As with everything time will tell.
Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 21:31 - Aug 1 with 5439 viewsdownunder

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 06:29 - Aug 1 by TalkingSutty

Agree. I hope to be visiting the UK next year, and, as someone with a distrust of internet purchases, I would be keen to buy books.
Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 23:02 - Aug 1 with 5224 viewsNigeriamark

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 21:40 - Jul 31 by fitzochris

Thanks, just bought. it was only the hardback on pre-order so lucky you reminded me to check
Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 13:45 - Aug 2 with 4806 viewsBrierls

I've just bought the Kindle version. Looking forward to reading it.
Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 00:08 - Aug 3 with 4474 views_Windydale

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 13:45 - Aug 2 by Brierls

I've just bought the Kindle version. Looking forward to reading it.

just bought the hardback version via amazon - giving it a go tomorrow :-)
Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 13:07 - Aug 3 with 4214 views100notout

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 22:26 - Jul 31 by judd

Absolutely.

I'm not buying it off Amazon. Get it in the club shop and then I'll buy it and everyone benefits including our beloved club.

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 19:18 - Aug 3 with 3951 viewsDale69er

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 13:07 - Aug 3 by 100notout

Absolutely.

I'm not buying it off Amazon. Get it in the club shop and then I'll buy it and everyone benefits including our beloved club.

Hear, hear!
Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 12:30 - Aug 17 with 3038 viewsjudd

Now in stock in the club shop and I witnessed an impulse buy as soon as Stuart put them out.

Well done the club. More positivity.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 12:40 - Aug 17 with 2986 views14bowlers

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 12:30 - Aug 17 by judd

Now in stock in the club shop and I witnessed an impulse buy as soon as Stuart put them out.

Just bought the Kindle version.
Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 16:37 - Aug 17 with 2703 viewsFrog

A good read as usual 👍
Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 18:58 - Aug 17 with 2477 viewsfitzochris

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 12:30 - Aug 17 by judd

I signed a few copies before the match today, too, if anyone’s into that kind of thing.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 19:29 - Aug 26 with 1665 viewsrobshaker

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 18:58 - Aug 17 by fitzochris

I signed a few copies before the match today, too, if anyone’s into that kind of thing.

rewind about 10+ years you were touted as a poor mans mark hodkinson on here and falsely claiming mcdonalds had pulled out of your town in a passage you wrote... but i hear they re opening that very branch they closed you refer too....or near enough.

congrats anyway
Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 10:56 - Aug 27 with 1240 viewsSuddenLad

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 19:29 - Aug 26 by robshaker

rewind about 10+ years you were touted as a poor mans mark hodkinson on here and falsely claiming mcdonalds had pulled out of your town in a passage you wrote... but i hear they re opening that very branch they closed you refer too....or near enough.

congrats anyway

Proposed new McDonalds is across town (Molesworth Street/Water Street junction) from the shop on Yorkshire Street and is a 'Drive-Thru' store. It will be a brand new build on a site that has been used as a car park since demolition of the previous building occurred many years ago.

Whether you'd claim a new McDonalds is 'progress' is a moot point, but it's jobs, income and development in an area of town that is ripe for it. Good news for Rochdale.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 21:26 - Aug 27 with 968 viewsrobshaker

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 10:56 - Aug 27 by SuddenLad

Proposed new McDonalds is across town (Molesworth Street/Water Street junction) from the shop on Yorkshire Street and is a 'Drive-Thru' store. It will be a brand new build on a site that has been used as a car park since demolition of the previous building occurred many years ago.

Whether you'd claim a new McDonalds is 'progress' is a moot point, but it's jobs, income and development in an area of town that is ripe for it. Good news for Rochdale.

totally agree and im all for it but my point was i remember a rukus on here about 2011? when it was written something like 'even mcdonalds have pulled out of the town' when they had only closed one branch there were several others still in your flea pit town and probably still there now.

'that famous old ground Gigg Lane'
Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 18:02 - Aug 28 with 610 viewssamueloneils

Into The Unknown by Chris Fitzgerald on 18:58 - Aug 17 by fitzochris

Your excellent diary and review of certainly the most critical season of the club we love was timely, if only to remind us of how long and drawn out was the gradual fall into a nightmare of uncertainty and despair. I don`t think that is dramatising the off-field events.

Having re-experienced the slide through your simple factual treatment, I have in my mind reassessed what the manager was going through particularly from December onwards. I would not expect him to admit it, but I would imagine his main concern was to avoid relegation issues at all costs and there was a point as I recall where a mere 4 points was the gap. He was a man under pressure whose job, as well as many other staff, was on the line.

How different are things now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024