Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Limited players that you have to have in a team 16:32 - Jan 22 with 6585 viewsLogman

As I get older and become more and more disillusioned with talented players who don't realise their potential I take a perverse pleasure from seeing more limited players whose commitment, desire and ethic make up for their lack of finesse.

Currently, for me, Jimmy Dunne and Rob Dickie would always get in the team ahead of the more cultured Leon Balogun and Jake Clarke Salter.

Which less talented players through the eras would you have put in for their work rate or uplifting effects on the team ?

I'm interested to know because I haven't watched us all though my years since my first game and I'm interested to know which players hauled us over the line in the 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and 10's.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2023 16:33]
Limited players that you have to have in a team on 06:19 - Jan 23 with 1357 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Steve Palmer is a perfect example, he was also a good captain.

Interesting Palmer factoid.

'Palmer established himself as a first team regular during another near six-year spell at Vicarage Road and his departure on a free transfer in July 2001 caused some consternation amongst the club's supporters.[4] Whilst at the club he broke Villa player, John Gregory's record by wearing every numbered shirt from 1 to 14 in the 1997—98 season.[5] Placed in goal for the kick-off of the season's final home match versus AFC Bournemouth, he swapped shirts with goalkeeper Alec Chamberlain early in the game. He completed the set by wearing Jason Lee's number 9 shirt in the final match away at Fulham — in which Watford won the Division 2 title. Watford secured back-to-back promotion the following season, with Palmer voted Player of the Season. '

Marcus Bignot, Ian Holloway most I can remember already mentioned.

I really rated Big Dan, I think there was a lot of raw talent there. "Shittu's gonna get ya" More than one player looked decidedly nervous after that was chanted.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 07:04 - Jan 23 with 1323 viewsGloucs_R

Jamie Mackie, never stopped working for the team. Knew his limitations but that didn't stop him.

Padula. Not the next left back we've ever had but worked his backside off and had a really positive attitude.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 09:53 - Jan 23 with 1233 viewsterryb

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 16:49 - Jan 22 by hantssi

Steve Palmer under Holloway and Holloway himself did the running for Wilkins.
Gary Waddock under TV.

Gary Waddock limited?

Not only was he the best man marker of his generation, the boy could play, he had a real sense of showmanship about him!. Can anybody else remember him nutmegging an opponent in our penalty area, then standing with his foot on the ball raising his arm in salute to the crowd?

Before his two horrendous injuries he was superb for us in all aspects of the game.
Limited players that you have to have in a team on 09:54 - Jan 23 with 1230 viewswombat

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 07:04 - Jan 23 by Gloucs_R

Jamie Mackie, never stopped working for the team. Knew his limitations but that didn't stop him.

Padula. Not the next left back we've ever had but worked his backside off and had a really positive attitude.

ollie wasnt brilliant but worked well in the system we employed at the time the rat role throgh the middle , doing the graft for others to exploit

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 10:16 - Jan 23 with 1213 viewsBluce_Ree

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 22:07 - Jan 22 by danehoop

Stuart Wardley - limited player but oddly effective in our set up for a short period of time

If you watch that end of season video, he's there for almost every goal. If he's not scoring it, he's there in the box causing a distraction.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 11:10 - Jan 23 with 1168 viewsRBlock

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 00:34 - Jan 23 by aston_hoop

I'm absolutely not having Dickie down as a limited player, I'd put him right up there as one of the more cultured centre backs around on his day. Balogun on the other hand far less so. Strange how people see things I suppose. Dickie and Dunne to me have been a real issue in recent games, I think Clarke-Salter has to step in and play at some point if he can stay fit.

Agree - although I thought they moved the ball a lot quicker against Reading than they had done in previous games. Dunne looked more comfortable on the ball, shifting it out faster and being less ponderous, which helped use keep moving them about.
Limited players that you have to have in a team on 19:30 - Jan 23 with 1030 viewsstanistheman

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 17:40 - Jan 22 by QPRSteve

I wouldn't say Mick Leach was limited - more very underrated.

I'd add Gary Micklewhite.

Mick Leach was not limited but displacing Givens, Bowles or Thomas from the team was nigh on impossible.

Gary Waddock from our 80s team
Simon Barker from our 90s team
Marcus Bignot from the 00s
Shaun Derry from the 10s.

Not sure yet from the 20s
Limited players that you have to have in a team on 19:39 - Jan 23 with 1024 viewsMrSheen

Bignot and Danny Maddix. Both gave absolutely everything, and encouraged others to.
Login to get fewer ads

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 19:44 - Jan 23 with 1006 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Barker was an England U-21 International, and not far off a full cap. Excellent defensively and tactically, a fine short passer, a decent long passer, a good finisher and an excellent professional. If he was 'limited' it shows just how far we've slipped from the 90's.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 20:49 - Jan 23 with 953 viewspaulparker

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 09:53 - Jan 23 by terryb

Gary Waddock limited?

Not only was he the best man marker of his generation, the boy could play, he had a real sense of showmanship about him!. Can anybody else remember him nutmegging an opponent in our penalty area, then standing with his foot on the ball raising his arm in salute to the crowd?

Before his two horrendous injuries he was superb for us in all aspects of the game.

Totally agree regarding Waddock
What a player he was BTW, was there for that injury against sheff wed , we really really missed him at the time , Fenwick did so well to cover for him in midfield
I can’t believe micklewhite, Barker and Fereday are also mentioned, did no one see them play ?

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 20:58 - Jan 23 with 950 viewsflynnbo

David Webb. Wasn't a particularly cultured player but left everything on the pitch. Scored some valuable goals and was a leader. Tough as nails to boot.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2023 21:02]
Limited players that you have to have in a team on 21:10 - Jan 23 with 939 viewsnumptydumpty

I liked John Spencer for a while but probably not under the limited viewpoint more likely underrated.

Devon White has been mentioned. Always an experience to watch.

Surprised he has not been mentioned but big Matt Smith. Coming on as a more basic option ie pump it up to the big man. He was good at what he did but was one dimensional but better than many of our more talented strikers in effectiveness.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 21:24 - Jan 23 with 925 viewslightwaterhoop

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 19:39 - Jan 23 by MrSheen

Bignot and Danny Maddix. Both gave absolutely everything, and encouraged others to.

Danny Maddix limited! underrated yes but limited never.The same goes for Waddock,Barker and Micklewhite.Marc Bircham on the other hand was limited but a great player to have in our side at the time.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2023 21:31]
Limited players that you have to have in a team on 21:46 - Jan 23 with 893 viewspaulparker

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 19:30 - Jan 23 by stanistheman

Mick Leach was not limited but displacing Givens, Bowles or Thomas from the team was nigh on impossible.

Gary Waddock from our 80s team
Simon Barker from our 90s team
Marcus Bignot from the 00s
Shaun Derry from the 10s.

Not sure yet from the 20s

Did you ever watch Waddock or Barker play ?

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 22:00 - Jan 23 with 870 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Wow! The definition of limited is being stretched here that’s for sure!

My favourite player of recent times, although he didn’t grace us for long, was Seb Polter.

Touch of a man wearing a 1930s diving suite, and a head like a 50p coin. No one can say it wasn’t entertaining to watch.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2023 22:13]
Limited players that you have to have in a team on 22:24 - Jan 23 with 846 viewsdistortR

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 22:00 - Jan 23 by BazzaInTheLoft

Wow! The definition of limited is being stretched here that’s for sure!

My favourite player of recent times, although he didn’t grace us for long, was Seb Polter.

Touch of a man wearing a 1930s diving suite, and a head like a 50p coin. No one can say it wasn’t entertaining to watch.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2023 22:13]

And I bet anyone who marked him finished the game bruised.
Limited players that you have to have in a team on 22:46 - Jan 23 with 807 viewsMrSheen

Limited players that you have to have in a team on 21:24 - Jan 23 by lightwaterhoop

Danny Maddix limited! underrated yes but limited never.The same goes for Waddock,Barker and Micklewhite.Marc Bircham on the other hand was limited but a great player to have in our side at the time.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2023 21:31]

Under-rated is much fairer, however good he was, no-one else ever seemed interested in him, despite us being a selling team.
Limited players that you have to have in a team on 08:19 - Jan 24 with 739 viewsTheChef

Peter Ramage - always gave 100%.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024