Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Am I out of touch ? 21:35 - Aug 31 with 4391 viewspaulparker

I find myself these days not knowing any of these premier league player’s anymore
Newcastle have signed some Swedish striker for 50 million ,never heard of him
West Ham some french midfielder 50 million never heard of him
Man yoo desperately trying to sign some fella called Anthony for 70 million never seen him play
Everyone seems to be priced at 30-50 million and I’ve got no idea who these players are , despite football being on the tv 24-7 covering every league I don’t have a clue , these prices should be getting you Maradona or Gullit
Am I out of touch or has football gone mad ? 30 years ago I could name every player

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Am I out of touch ? on 09:23 - Sep 1 with 865 viewsozranger

Am I out of touch ? on 22:04 - Aug 31 by Paddyhoops

Little or no interest in it.
Citeh win 6.0 against Big spending Forest.
They’ll win another hatful of titles with Saudis Arabia sorry Newcastle a close second over the next few years.
It’s ceasing to be a competition any more.

Of course it is a competition. It is a competition to see who can spend the most on players each summer and each January and then who can have the biggest whinge after that.

While we attack the clubs, and rightly so, it is more the sports media that are significantly to blame, Sky now being the biggest culprit. Without all the extra billions that appear to be being thrown at clubs to spend and then the drooling over that spending, the game would be a lot better. It is the horrible football world that we now live in and they are attempting to force down our throats so that they can make more money through people buying their products - the cable licenses. I cannot wait until Sky goes bust (it will never happen) as then the other big spenders may also realise that life exists on the other side and suddenly, as we all dream, the bubble will burst and football will come back to us.
Am I out of touch ? on 10:06 - Sep 1 with 788 viewsSouthallRanger

Am I out of touch ? on 09:17 - Sep 1 by slmrstid

I think its probably a bit of a generational thing - back when I was a teenager I knew much more about all the players across England, and even Europe, than I do now. Mainly because I was a Football Manager obsessed teenager.

These days in adulthood I barely have time to keep up with what's going on at QPR, let alone anywhere else, so even players from other clubs in our league and below are a mystery to me.

No doubt if I still played FM I'd know more but I stopped playing years ago - I still play older versions from time to time when I have time but the games stopped being fun around 2010 time when the level of complexity just started to go crazy.

Money wise its all very silly - its just Monopoly money really isnt it? It doesn't bear any resemblance to what's going on in the real world. Here we are worrying about our energy bills going to £3,500+ per annum (or whatever ways we freeze ourselves at home to try and keep them lower...) whilst top-flight footballers still earn millions and clubs spend tens of millions transferring money between themselves. Hotel on Mayfair. Bonkers.

Was going to write a very similar post.

When I was younger I would watch any games that were on tv as well as all programs such as football focus. Of course football italia back in the day and I’d be aware of what’s going on in other leagues. Never got into FM, but in early days of fantasy football I’d devote so many hours to it. I not only knew starting line ups for all Orem teams but also who were most likely reserves in case of injury for most positions. I also kept up with most championship teams.

Now with work, life and kids that’s gone down to virtually nothing. I was a casual fan that attended about 10-15 home games a season. Now in the last year that has gone down to one or two. If I saw the whole qpr squad in the street there are at least a few I wouldn’t recognise. Hardly wat h anything on tv. Aware of most big things in the Orem, but again not heard of most of these big money signings. Not aware much happening abroad. In terms of players only know the big names. And to a large extent I’m not as interested as I used to be and my performances in fantasy football are showing it

I have friends who get passionate about goat debates involving messi etc. I simply don’t care. In the last 15 years of course I know of him. But I didn’t watch much Spanish football. Just kept up to date a bit and saw the odd game and goals mainly from champs league. But not spent that much of my life watching him. And I absolutely don’t mind that. I’ve spent more time in my life watching, caring and drooling over taarabt than messi and I’m happy enough with that.

Which brings me to next point about finances of big clubs. All about tv money of course. Let’s be honest. These clubs afford that because that’s the way finances work. They can mostly more than fill their stadiums many times but more importantly people in china, Korea etc pay to watch their matches. Nobody from those countries wants to watch qpr, and we can’t even sell out our stadium. Clubs like forest will get caught up in the tv money whirlwind further inflated by state owned clubs.

But leave that aside. It’s like real life. I don’t get caught up fussing about richer people than me, living more luxurious lives spending nag ridiculous wealth. I focus on my life and try to make sure I have fun in my own existence. I think the same about football now. Just enjoy our games and league campaigns.
Am I out of touch ? on 10:10 - Sep 1 with 770 viewsterryb

I'm sorry Paul, but it is age related.

Over half a century ago I could name the ground, nickname & manager of all 92 FL clubs. I think at least two (probably more) of their players as well. Now it would take a lot of time & thought to even name the clubs!

I also knew what leagues they played in & the geographical location of virtually every club that played in the FA Cup & FA Amateur Cup.

Nowadays. I hardly know the names of the players playing against us in The Championship!
Am I out of touch ? on 10:17 - Sep 1 with 759 viewsPunteR

I'm well out of touch with football.
I'm just not as invested in it as I used to be.
Similar to a lot of posters here it seems, my only football association is with QPR.
I'd love us to be competing at the top level in English football. I'd love nothing more than being a top London club again. But because of money the game and competition is ruined.
Maybe I'm just getting older and more cynical?
Maybe our previous time in the Premier league has just taken the shine off it all?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Am I out of touch ? on 11:59 - Sep 1 with 660 viewspaulparker

Am I out of touch ? on 10:10 - Sep 1 by terryb

I'm sorry Paul, but it is age related.

Over half a century ago I could name the ground, nickname & manager of all 92 FL clubs. I think at least two (probably more) of their players as well. Now it would take a lot of time & thought to even name the clubs!

I also knew what leagues they played in & the geographical location of virtually every club that played in the FA Cup & FA Amateur Cup.

Nowadays. I hardly know the names of the players playing against us in The Championship!

Cheers Tel I’m now officially an old git
I was watching the last 10 minutes of the Liverpool game last night and didn’t have a clue about any of the players

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Am I out of touch ? on 12:02 - Sep 1 with 655 viewsrobith

Isak was pretty good at the Euros I thought
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024