Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Don't understand putting a reserve team out 10:15 - Aug 23 with 3980 viewsBlackCrowe

The first team has done well so far so it seems pretty obvious to me to

a) keep that team gelled and build the understanding
b) give yourself the best chance of winning, to keep the solid momentum building on the pitch
c) don't p!ss the paying fans off - the match costs more than £10 when you add in travel and sustenance.

I could stomach a couple of changes to give game time to bench warmers, byt please don't tell me it's to give players a rest, the season's just started and they're probably still not 100% match fit.

Pathetic. I will not be returning to an EFL cup match again unless we should reach the latter stages (ho ho) and field pretty much a first team.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 14:40 - Aug 23 with 896 viewsR_from_afar

Ollie is caught between a rock and a hard place. There are so many league games to play and first choice players need some respite plus the second string needs the chance to play in some proper games.

Remember also that we came quite close to going down last season. That means we have to focus on the league, which in turn means that first choice players need to be protected as far as is possible. I don't think getting to the quarter finals of a cup and getting relegated would be an outcome many fans would like. I certainly wouldn't. The club's owners would go into meltdown too.

Yes Brentford are our local rivals but give Ollie and the team some credit. We have made a better than expected start in the league and Brentford have been rank. Their players had a point to prove to their manager and they achieved that. They needed a result more than us.

A drubbing like this and a host of poor performances should also serve to focus the mind, which is helpful in a bizarre way. Most of yesterday's team is not good enough at the moment and the coaching staff certainly cannot rest on their laurels because that performance was shocking. More effort and planning is required.

Calls for Holloway to go after the start we have made in the league are incredible.

You Rs.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 15:23 - Aug 23 with 852 viewsSimonJames

If we had a settled squad and a familiar, battle-tested system, then putting out a strong team might make sense. (Although when was the last time a Championship team won the cup?)

But for a team that missed relegation by a whisker, 46 league games in a season (plus international duty for some) is too many to be risking injury or fatigue to 1st team players in League Cup games. However it is an ideal opportunity to give the 2nd string valuable game time and the chance to stake their claim.

N.B. Brentford were the only Championship team that didn't change the majority of their players.
We changed 10 players, as did Cardiff, Derby, Sunderland & Millwall.
Meanwhile Brighton, Villa, Ipswich, Hull & Fulham changed all 11.
Also, Brizzle, Reading and Leeds changed 9.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2017 15:38]

100% of people who drink water will die.

Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 15:33 - Aug 23 with 832 viewsBushRanger82

Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 14:40 - Aug 23 by R_from_afar

Ollie is caught between a rock and a hard place. There are so many league games to play and first choice players need some respite plus the second string needs the chance to play in some proper games.

Remember also that we came quite close to going down last season. That means we have to focus on the league, which in turn means that first choice players need to be protected as far as is possible. I don't think getting to the quarter finals of a cup and getting relegated would be an outcome many fans would like. I certainly wouldn't. The club's owners would go into meltdown too.

Yes Brentford are our local rivals but give Ollie and the team some credit. We have made a better than expected start in the league and Brentford have been rank. Their players had a point to prove to their manager and they achieved that. They needed a result more than us.

A drubbing like this and a host of poor performances should also serve to focus the mind, which is helpful in a bizarre way. Most of yesterday's team is not good enough at the moment and the coaching staff certainly cannot rest on their laurels because that performance was shocking. More effort and planning is required.

Calls for Holloway to go after the start we have made in the league are incredible.

You Rs.

RFA

Yes, we came close to going down last season.
Despite going out of both cups early.
Passing up the opportunity of an exciting cup run, even a possible memorable day out at Wembley, is no guarantee of a better showing in the league.
Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 16:44 - Aug 23 with 788 viewsbosh67

It's a great point this thread. Have just wrote on Jim's thread that if that is your cup team have the decency as a club to get that team some games behind closed doors and don't just do a few training sessions and expect them to perform a miracle.

The big problem for the last 10+ years at the club is that we haven't played our best team week in week out and use the squad to fill the injury suspension gaps and use the subs to change games where needed. Then have the decency and respect to give that B team proper matches to get to work as a team.

It's been a massive problem at this club for years but it's not rocket science.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 17:11 - Aug 23 with 763 viewstimcocking

Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 10:27 - Aug 23 by parker64

Watch Holloway's interview. He explains his thinking. Shame he mentions the dreaded "bonus" word.

We all know his thinking, and in this instance it's a crock of fcuking sh!t.
Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 08:46 - Aug 24 with 675 viewssmegma

Don't understand putting a reserve team out on 12:28 - Aug 23 by Juzzie

I thought the starting XI was OK. It's not a reserve team but more a case of fringe squad players. Certainly good enough not to get tonked 4-1 at home.

It was only my third game in a under a year due to family reasons not being able to go so a lot of the players I'm not used to seeing in the flesh any more.

The back 4 looked like strangers. Baptise kept getting pulled out to the left because the left back, Robinson, was too high up the pitch so this left gaps where Baptiste should have been.

Baptiste got skinned on a number of occasions including the first time which resulted in the OG. I thought he couldn't keep up with the pace of the opposition but seemed much better in the second half and was able to match them.

Why couldn't Robinson himself see this and drop back into a more traditional left back slot? Maybe he's been told to be a wing back but it was obvious it wasn't working after the OG.

Midfield offered no protection at all to the defence that was clearly creaky.

Freeman coming made a big difference but I thought Mackie & Smith didn't have much of an impact.

Glad people are now waking up to the truth regarding Jack Robinson.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024