Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Belgian Prison Football 09:08 - Sep 25 with 3295 viewsajackslad

Very interesting article about a football in prison scheme in Belgium.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24064975

Northern Soul DJ on Seabreeze AM https://radioseabreeze.nl/

Belgian Prison Football on 09:49 - Sep 25 with 3258 viewsyescomeon

Good article thanks for posting. Very sad news that it has been stopped.

Upthecity!

Belgian Prison Football on 09:56 - Sep 25 with 3243 viewsJack_y_Jwc

I was going to post and ask what Swans supporters opinions would be if we bid/signed this player - can't say I'd be too impressed.

Belgian Prison Football on 13:10 - Sep 25 with 3142 viewsDr_Winston

Just seven years for participating in the gang rape of a child? I guess Belgium's sentencing guidelines and judges are as worthless as ours.

I'd want him nowhere near our club, reformed or not.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Belgian Prison Football on 13:26 - Sep 25 with 3126 viewsJackhero

Seems like the lad has turned his life around, and has served his time. At 17 it seems he didn't really have a goal in life, was caught up in a gang and got mixed up in the crime that came with it.
Personally I think well done to him, he's an example of what can be done and I wouldn't have an issue with him being here. Its sad west ham fans did what they did.
I can understand though looking from the victims point of view what it must look like and I wouldn't like to be in that position either of watching someone do so well after what they had done.

Tubbs: Will heaven be like Swansea? Edward: Yes, Tubbs. Only... bigger.

Belgian Prison Football on 14:29 - Sep 25 with 3077 viewsajackslad

I think the idea and ideals of the scheme are very worthwhile. It's just a shame that someone who has benefitted from the scheme had committed such an awful crime. That shouldn't demean the whole scheme though.

Belgian Prison Football on 15:39 - Sep 25 with 3058 viewsQuakerJack

Wouldn't want him cleaning the toilets, never mind playing for us. I'm glad he feels he's a reformed character and has got his life back and sorted, meanwhile his victim undoubtedly bares the scars of his sick actions.

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Belgian Prison Football on 03:54 - Sep 26 with 2977 viewsJoeSoccerFan

Thanks for posting this thought-provoking article. It's a difficult position. I have mixed feelings about it.

- Should an ex-convict after serving his time, be able to live his life using his abilities to earn a living? Should an ex-convict be able to play professional football?
- Committing such a heinous crime (gang raping a child), should the ex-convict have special conditions attributed to him?
- Should the UK be able to prevent EU ex-convicts from coming into the country?
- Will the ex-convict continue committing crime? This may be the most important question.
- Should the ex-convict's age at the time that he committed the crime be taken into consideration?
- Could Swansea City FC achieve a larger value with the ex-convict's baggage?

While I'm horrified by this crime, I can't think of a more villainous, crippling act to a 14 year old girl by a group of thugs. I'm stunned that the player only was incarcerated for 7 years. It's not long enough. However, the sentencing isn't the ex-convict's determination and our (or my) disdain shouldn't be with the ex-convict but with the government. Because the government did the disservice to the public and more importantly to the victim. He could stay in jail for the rest of his life - and it would be insufficient for the victim's well-being. I can't fathom how she is able to piece her life together.

If the ex-convict has successfully completed his probation (or other post-prison release requirements), he should be able to seek employment that he's qualified to do regardless of wages. Additionally, I find the argument that an ex-convict should be able to "enjoy the fame and adulation" of being a footballer. Fame is a 2 sided sword and in the ex-convict's case will be a source of knowing that everyone knows what horrible act he performed. Information that you may not know about your neighbors. I think the adulation would be muted because of this same issue.

The club has a responsibility to be cautious to not introduce criminals to the community. It's a risk that the club would suffer from a public relations catastrophe and inner turmoil if an ex-convict was brought into the club and continued to break the law (especially a particularly horrific crime). However, a player's value could be undervalued because of prison baggage. If the player obeys the law and can be a productive member of the team and the community and the player is contrite for his crime, I won't second guess a team that engages the ex-convict.

Additionally, the ex-convict's age is a determining factor. Who amongst us didn't make stupid decisions when we were 17 years old? Of course, I doubt that many of us made such a grave decision that the ex-convict made. I don't excuse him because of his age, but it's a contributing factor in determining my ability to accept the ex-convict into the community.

While I abhor the crime and empathize with the victim, I can't discard the ex-convict into the garbage pile for the remaining years of his life. If we did, how would we expect ex-convicts not to live a life of crime - how could they make a living and be a productive member of society?

Just my opinion...

Belgian Prison Football on 10:53 - Sep 26 with 2941 viewsajackslad

Thanks JoeSoccerFan for the response, lots of what you wrote reflected what I was thinking myself.

One's overwhelming sympathy and thoughts have to be for the victim. I guess in this case if the crime was of theft or car stealing or even a violent attack on another person then one might think differently. Although in my mind a crime is a crime, I personally know people that had their homes broken into, they never saw the culprit, but the fear is still with them years later. But I think there are probably some prisoners that went through this scheme and came out of prison with more to live for and respect for their fellow human beings.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024