Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Staying Up 09:21 - Dec 2 with 3523 viewsdaveB

it look pretty bleak but i feel a bit more confident about our chances of staying up after yesterday, i thought we were very good until Diakite went off, only one side was going to win it but the enforced changes meant we lost the balance in midfield and the planned change to put on a fresh Cisse for 20 minutes at the end was gone.

I think Redknapp will have learnt a lot about some of our players in the last half an hour and will make the changes needed. It's going to be tough but I do think we'll get out of this now.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Staying Up on 14:09 - Dec 3 with 479 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I'm still optimistic, I agree after Samba went off we looked bereft but still should have won it.

I was sitting in my old Seat and it was nice to kick the wall in front of me for old times sake.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Staying Up on 14:10 - Dec 3 with 476 viewsPinnerPaul

Fair enough!

Can't see that getting a 66% return on something everyone says is a "certainty" is a mug's game - but each to their own!

Cheers

Paul

Staying Up on 18:51 - Dec 3 with 444 viewsderbyhoop

The main issue is that we have to win, not draw, games. To do that consistently, we have to score goals. Frankly, we do not look likely to score enough to win the 10 games we need.

The imbalance in the squad where we have only 3 out and out strikers in the 25 has come back to haunt us now that AJ and BZ are out. Even more bizarre, we have 5 strikers out on loan. Campbell, Hulse, Bothroyd, Andrade and Hewitt.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Staying Up on 18:57 - Dec 3 with 439 viewsPinnerPaul

Yeah but not one person really believes that 4 of them could do a job in the Premiership.

Show me a post where anyone was sad to see Hulse go out on loan!

Would agree though that DJ as 4th choice striker would have been a better option than Ephraim as 9th choice midfielder!

Staying Up on 19:06 - Dec 3 with 428 viewsbosh67

We're not going down
We're not going down
We're not going
We're not going
We're not going down!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Staying Up on 19:23 - Dec 3 with 414 viewsJamie

In January we have Chelsea, Spurs, WH & City. Fear a few spankings there will be the death of any sort of belief in the squad.

If Redknapp keeps everyone believing we have Norwich, Swansea, United, Southampton, Sunderland, Villa, Fulham, Wigan, Everton, Stoke, Reading in which there is every chance of putting together a run like Wigan last season.

Staying Up on 20:14 - Dec 3 with 399 viewsTGRRRSSS

The failings of others could well be our saviou (in that less than 40 will probably be enough) however we need to start winning well now basically.
Some winnable games against potential relegation rivals coming up - including Newcastle before January.
However we need to start winning, and indeed scoring goals.

Staying Up on 22:20 - Dec 3 with 373 viewsGetMeRangers

A week tomorrow we could be quite easily look at needing 11 points to get to 17th. A Wigan win, coupled with Villa vs Stoke and Sunderland beating Reading next Tues....

At that point, no matter how good a motivator Harry is, persuading the players that you need to get 3 wins and two draws better than not just one team but three, will leave the dressing room fairly deflated.

Without a win a Wigan, I am not sure how much longer the team can wait for that first win to make an escape look even remotely possible
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Staying Up on 22:30 - Dec 3 with 365 viewskropotkin41

I agree about the need for that win - it is obvious.

But I do think that this obsession with the table right now is wrong & I can't imagine that Martinez even allowed the league table to be mentioned at Wigan last season.

The only target that matters is to have the right number of pts (& GD) on the last day of the season; last season that happened to be 37pts, it might be a couple more or even a couple less.

So, bo**ocks to the others and what they do when, and to a certain extent as long as we're not getting beaten too often, don't stress individual results - once again I believe Wigan had a bad January last season - play for the 35-40pts.

We need, as of now, 9-10 wins and a few draws. That is all. Nothing else realistically matters. 9 wins, 7 draws, 7 defeats gives us 40pts and so on....... do the maths, s*d the rest.

Whether we can get the wins is another question entirely.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Staying Up on 09:00 - Dec 4 with 317 viewsElHoop

I still think that we can stay up but clearly that WILL involve us winning the odd game here and there. If we lose on Saturday then I do think that we are pretty much gone as the other teams must pick up points given that they are playing one another including the Sunderland v Reading game next midweek.

The last turning point for me was Mbia's sending off at Arsenal. Had he stayed on the park, we might be in a different position now, although we could of course have found a different way of ballsing it up. Villa could have been a turning point, but Mbia's injury seemed to prevent that, so we are still looking for a positive turning point. Wigan would be a good place for it to happen -- a clean sheet and a couple of goals, maybe Mbia himself scoring. I feel that if we do stay up then Mbia will be a key component.

Wigan the turning point of the season?

Yeah maybe.

Staying Up on 09:31 - Dec 4 with 299 viewsdaveB

I'm not sure any of them will spank us to be honest but that's a long way off. The aim has to be to get to January and be within 2 or 3 points of safety which is achievable
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024