Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
01:00 - Jan 1 with views

Ann Widdecome on 11:14 - May 19 with 593 viewsBicester_North

Your fat, sports direct tracksuit wearing, cowardly, domestic abuse loving fans shamed Portsmouth on a national level this week and the whole of football was laughing at how weird and gimpy your club and city are

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Ann Widdecomb on 13:05 - May 19 with 536 viewsChesham_Saint

That’s funny Ian, but on the other hand the existence of the €500 note seems to be a clear manifestation of the institutional corruption at the highest levels of the EU. Apart from a criminal, who needs a €500 note FFS? I mean, if you try and spend a £50 note in a shop or bar in the UK people look at you like you’re a drug dealer.

As you’re a committed europhile I was hoping you could bring some clarity to this.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Ann Widdecome on 13:41 - May 19 with 516 viewskentsouthampton

To make it easier for Putin to pay his useful idiots like Banks and Farage.

Ann Widdecome on 13:41 - May 19 with 514 viewskentsouthampton

I'm from Cowes you moron.

Ann Widdecome on 14:09 - May 19 with 495 viewsBicester_North

Your kitchen is filthy.

Ann Widdecomb on 14:53 - May 19 with 469 viewsDorsetIan

The serious answer, if you insist, is that when the Eurozone countries converted to the Euro a number of them already had extremely high denomination notes - e.g. Germany, Austria, Latvia. You can understand how these things go. Transferring from one currency to another was going to be an extraordinarily difficult administrative exercise and the objective would have been to make the transition as seamless as possible, which would have meant converting like for like across the EU.

As I understand it, alive to criminal issues, the 500 Euro notes are no longer being printed (at least not by the EU) albeit that the ones already in circulation remain legal.

If you want to take a wider view, have you tried to open a bank account or anything similar recently? If you have, you’ll know how tight the anti-money laundering regulations are these days. All that is driven by European directives. The UK has, for example, committed to adopting the 5th anti-money laundering directive notwithstanding Brexit. You can check it all out here:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/policies/justice-and-fundamental-rights/criminal-justi

I am not sure I am happy being described as a committed Europhile. I can see the issues, i just think they have been completely overblown. And I understand that people are people are fed up with the state of the UK but the idea that everything is the fault of the EU is (I think) just a great big con trick.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Ann Widdecome on 15:38 - May 19 with 445 viewsOccasional_Showers

Christmas dinner at Cowes must be an occasion us mere mortals can only dream of.

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

Ann Widdecomb on 15:56 - May 19 with 433 viewsChesham_Saint

The europhile comment wasn't meant as an insult.

The 500 euro is still legal tender and any attempt to "be alive" to criminal issues is a bit of a joke, when they're still printing 300 euro notes (two brief cases needed instead of two which is a real hurdle for organised crime...).

As it happens, I have recently opened bank accounts here, Italy and the US. Hardest of all was here, then the US and lastly Italy. The UK authorities seem to take money laundering way more seriously than the Italians that's for sure - but then that's true of almost any European Directive, we apply them rigorously whereas many/most of the rest seem to pick and chose - certainly in there application. In my experience (and its not just apocryphal) day to day corruption in the rest of the EU massively dwarfs what goes on here.

Ann Widdecome on 16:27 - May 19 with 423 viewskentsouthampton

Really?

Ann Widdecome on 16:41 - May 19 with 404 viewsgentlekenneth

FFS Arthur. Why bother changing usernames?!

Ann Widdecome on 16:43 - May 19 with 401 viewsOccasional_Showers

Is that an AEG range cooker I spy behind the island?

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

Ann Widdecome on 16:54 - May 19 with 383 viewsgentlekenneth

Oh dear Arthur. Did you really think no one on here knows how to use Google image search? I suppose in your old age it is possible to confuse Cowes with San Diego though...

https://www.zillow.com/blog/10-homes-sale-amazing-kitchens-209237/

[Post edited 19 May 2019 17:25]

Ann Widdecome on 17:20 - May 19 with 361 viewsBicester_North

Tragic stuff, but funny

Ann Widdecome on 18:30 - May 19 with 324 viewsHappy_Jack

Millbrook Furnishing shop floor level banter
Poll: Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been?

Ann Widdecome on 18:56 - May 19 with 310 viewsthis_charming_man

Dear me.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Ann Widdecomb on 23:58 - May 19 with 257 viewsDorsetIan

i know, I didn’t take it as such.

I agree that the UK is a less corrupt country. I was actually commenting to a friend yesterday (when the story broke about the Austrian vice chancellor resigning) that I had heard a long time ago that Austria was extraordinarily bent.

It’s not that surprising though that the citizens of countries which have been through foreign occupation and radical constitutional changes in the last 100 years should have less reverence for the State and the rule of law than we do here. They had to learn to duck and dive to survive whereas we never did.

I agree that 200 euros is still high but somehow now in the same ballpark as £50 or $100. Reading around this a bit, it seems that Germany is the country where not just criminals like to pay big in cash. Didn’t see an explanation for that. Just a cultural quirk I guess.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Ann Widdecomb on 00:03 - May 20 with 254 viewsChesham_Saint

I was working with a German legal team and was surprised when they admitted the levels of corruption (even when buying a house everyone’s bent) - nice people though...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024