Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
01:00 - Jan 1 with views

What's the latest on Brexit then ? on 11:25 - Oct 11 with 2604 viewsSt_Guido

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/10/10/currency-guru-says-pound-slide-li

Poll: What would you choose as our Football Club's official name?

What's the latest on Brexit then ? on 11:30 - Oct 11 with 2596 viewsDel_Bianco

Our Q3 was a bit slow, most of the big oops stalled but Q4 looks amazing, The team I run has already achieved our Q4 target so we are looking at a minimum of 200% achievement with around 55% YOY growth. Our VP of EMEA said our 2016 performance has been "incredible" I put it down to people getting with their jobs not looking for excuses not too.

Part of A small, but perfectly formed nucleus of clueless c**ts bowling underarm, deludely thinking they're in the big leagues since December 2015
Poll: what do you prefer?

What's the latest on Brexit then ? on 11:35 - Oct 11 with 2594 viewsTheMoog

Those printer cartridges won't sell themselves.

Standby to standby

What's the latest on Brexit then ? on 12:00 - Oct 11 with 2567 viewsSonicBoom

Del that's worthy of a facebook post...

What's the latest on Brexit then ? on 12:02 - Oct 11 with 2564 viewsSonicBoom

I saw someone of TV recently saying that lots of people haven't noticed much change since Brexit despite all the scaremongering.
He pointed out that so far we haven't actually Brexit'ed anything. No one will know the full extend of the impact until the government goes through the process and we are actually out.

What's the latest on Brexit then ? on 12:11 - Oct 11 with 2552 viewsLeslie

That's why I voted to remain

Poll: Will you buy the new shirt(s)

What's the latest on Brexit then ? on 12:26 - Oct 11 with 2542 viewsFrankXerox

Any news on Haller?

Poll: How would you prefer to travel with the 657?

What's the latest on Brexit then ? on 12:28 - Oct 11 with 2539 viewsdune

The US and Japan have been trying to weaken their own currencies for years, unsuccessfully. We have achieved it and that's brilliant news while it lasts.

http://www.westmonster.com/
Poll: Given his track record should Les Reed be allowed to appoint the next manager?

What's the latest on Brexit then ? on 12:29 - Oct 11 with 2535 viewsDel_Bianco

Exactly pal. Whatever is going on in politics people will still need to print things, no excuses here

Part of A small, but perfectly formed nucleus of clueless c**ts bowling underarm, deludely thinking they're in the big leagues since December 2015

What's the latest on Brexit then ? on 12:39 - Oct 11 with 2517 viewsdirk_doone

"The pound has fallen more than 20 cents in the wake of Brexit. Analysts expect further declines." Financial Times.

The collapse of the pound means we face much higher prices and consequently more people will be dragged into poverty. It will also mean more strikes as workers demand higher wages to compensate. People on fixed incomes like penioners will be the first to suffer. Lack of spending power will also cause serious problems for businesses in this country which rely on the domestic market and there will be many more closures and a big increase in unemployment. Many foreign owned businesses are based in this country because of free access to the European market. They will mostly relocate to other European countries.

On the positive side, the price of British goods overseas will be much cheaper which should mean increased exports for those businesses which survive. The big winners are the British seaside resorts, which had almost died as most people could afford foreign holidays. Brexit is good news for Portsmouth & Southsea.

Probably best in the short term to convert any savings into dollars or euros and invest in the British tourist industry.

"Foreign tourists are big winners. They flooded the UK in the summer after the big post-Brexit sterling drop." FT

The long-term is harder to predict. This country relies very heavily on imported goods since many Brtish manufacturing industries were closed down in the 1980s and 90s The reemergence of heavy industries like shipbuilding, heavy engineering and iron and steel is unlikely but will be more viable. Foreign imports won't be so cheap any more.

https://www.ft.com/content/28787548-8c82-11e6-8cb7-e7ada1d123b1

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

What's the latest on Brexit then ? on 12:40 - Oct 11 with 2512 viewsfranniesTache

It's been a nightmare for us so far, the hit on the currency has meant we can't make our margins which has resulted in pay freezes and probably redundancies (our company is owned by an international parent company).

We're also having issues with important foreign employees now looking to leave and head back abroad, and international companies looking at cutting budgets in the short term (one major client in particular has "paused" £27m worth of work) whilst they see how the land lays.

Have to say i'm deeply worried about the long term as we've not even started Brexit yet and we're already seeing real damage in my industry.

What's the latest on Brexit then ? on 12:42 - Oct 11 with 2510 viewsLeslie

If people are in poverty then British holidays won't happen

What's the latest on Brexit then ? on 12:47 - Oct 11 with 2498 viewsdirk_doone

They will because they will be the only holidays they can afford. Most financial experts think that domestic tourism is the most reliable sector of the economy to invest in right now. In contrast, overseas tourism is going to suffer.

What's the latest on Brexit then ? on 12:50 - Oct 11 with 2489 viewsDel_Bianco

If they can afford to go on holiday they aren't in poverty.

What's the latest on Brexit then ? on 12:51 - Oct 11 with 2479 viewsdirk_doone

That's all right then.

What's the latest on Brexit then ? on 12:56 - Oct 11 with 2453 viewsDel_Bianco

A holiday isn't a right it's a luxury, much like booze, tv, entertainment. The trouble is peoplle have a sense of entitlement which makes them think all these things are a right. Poverty is not being able to feed your family, not only being able eat out once a month.

What's the latest on Brexit then ? on 12:56 - Oct 11 with 2452 viewsLeslie

Exactly why I voted remain. There's no plan, a real uncertain future voting to leave. I can't get my head around why people voted to leave. If there was a brighter outlook I could understand people voting to leave.

What's the latest on Brexit then ? on 13:02 - Oct 11 with 2440 viewsfranniesTache

I'm in a fortunate position whereby i negotiated a VERY good contract when i came into my new role so i can suck up a few years without pay rises but there's plenty of people who really can't.

They're already starting to cut on spending as they're worried about things like interest rates going up and the mortgage becoming more expensive, the result of which will obviously have a knock on effect to the economy (and i can't imagine the ones i know are alone).

Also a very good friend of mine is at a senior level of head office for one of the major supermarkets and they've costed the minimum viable increase to cover the Brexit trading damage as a 15% increase on the cost of all goods (and that's 15% passed onto the customer by the way, not the internal cost).

What's the latest on Brexit then ? on 13:20 - Oct 11 with 2407 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

The thing about supermarkets raising costs is bollocks anyway.

If everyone bought food that was UK-produced and therefore seasonal, there wouldn't be an issue that some random Kenyan grown blueberries were more expensive.

Support British production and British seasonal food.

As for non-food items, if we stopped allowing the US and the Chinese to buy all our non-food companies, we'd still be producing most of what we needed here, and have jobs, here.

I mean even the Chinese now own Weetabix!

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

What's the latest on Brexit then ? on 13:22 - Oct 11 with 2404 viewsfranniesTache

I used to think that but sadly it's not, it's amazing how tied into importing they are. In fact the one i know directly about has monthly (or thereabouts) jaunts to the European countries where their suppliers are.

What's the latest on Brexit then ? on 13:30 - Oct 11 with 2393 viewsTheMoog

So probably more worried about their monthly jolly to Spain to look at strawberries.

Standby to standby

What's the latest on Brexit then ? on 13:32 - Oct 11 with 2387 viewsdirk_doone

Whether people care to admit it or not, and most don't, xenophobia was the main driving force and immigration was the big issue. Those who wanted to see fewer foreign faces in this country will get their wish because this country will become less attractive to immigrants and they will go to wealthier European countries instead.

The spurious claim about 'taking back control from faceless European bureaucrats' was something of a smoke screen for that xenophobia. Does anyone really believe that giving more power to British politicians will be in our best interests? EU civil servants are just doing a job objectively; politicians are more interested in their own careers.

I have some sympathy for the xenophobes. There is an element of it in all of us. Foreign immigrants are less likely to respect the laws and moral codes of a country they arrive in and so tend to have higher rates of criminality and less sense of social duty. But, at some stage in our past, even if it was a very long time ago, we all had ancestors who were immigrants.

What's the latest on Brexit then ? on 13:32 - Oct 11 with 2383 viewsfranniesTache

Yeah because people in a massive business who are judged entirely on their margins would be worried about a monthly jolly and not a cost increase that leads to a drop in profit, share prices and probable redundancies...

What's the latest on Brexit then ? on 13:33 - Oct 11 with 2382 viewsBuggalugs

+1

My business is supplies and 99% of the products we sell are manufactured abroad and imported, so the value of the pound has seen our cost prices rise between 15 and 30% in the last 5-6 months alone. If you try passing those kind of increases onto the customer, it gives them the excuse to look elsewhere and if you try and absorb them yourself, your margin gets destroyed.

It's pretty bleak in that respect, but having said that, business is still good and we're still on target for 15% growth from the previous year. The uncertainty of it all and the continuing drop of the pound does make me cack myself a lot more than I used to though.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

What's the latest on Brexit then ? on 13:36 - Oct 11 with 2373 viewsfranniesTache

That 15-30% figure matches almost exactly what i've been hearing across the board from people in supply chains. Personally i'm expecting (and budgeting for) a fairly significant increase in the cost of goods and services in the next few years.

It does all feel very grim at the moment and i really hope that the government can get some sort of stability/control on the situation before it becomes really damaging.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024