Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
01:00 - Jan 1 with views

Ralph Explains the 32m black hole... on 13:22 - May 22 with 2739 viewsHatch

Surely though that is a good and sensible financial model to run with. It may not exist elsewhere but it does not make it wrong.

Allo creeps.

Ralph Explains the 32m black hole... on 13:28 - May 22 with 2723 viewsRednWight

It also means that those who've been saying that we have a big pot of money left over from a year ago to spend in the close season are unfortunately wrong and presumably need to sell in order to buy

The older I get the better I was
Poll: Cortese. Would we have him back

Ralph Explains the 32m black hole... on 13:45 - May 22 with 2697 viewsClickInsect

Two points -

When the board sold 100m worth of talent, Ralph solemnly promised that every penny would be reinvested in the club. The club's accountancy practice was then changed to make that possible. Let's not forget, that if the club wasn't trying to blur the numbers then they would have added the contract of the players sold, to the transer income. So in reality it should have been 100m + Lallana's contract et al. Instead the club is costing the commitment for player's bought and not doing the same for player's sold.

The other point is, that player's wages are an operating cost. If a player signs a five year deal, it's very unlikely he'll stay the next five years under the terms listed. So why artificially take away the flexibility you have in your budget, when budgets have always ran season to season since the year dot? It runs the risk of getting the club into all kinds of idiotic situations. Like putting Mane on a 4 year deal instead of a 5 year deal in order to have enough money to make a loan signing this window. When in four years time Mane won't likely be with us & the club' finances will likely be completely different.

There is a bad taste in the mouth with this lot, because unlike last season where they held there hands up and pleaded ignorance while blaming the players, they are now trying to make an effort to retain players. But once again, they've waited far too long to open the chequebook. Why wait till the very end of the season to make the decent offers? When Morgan and Clyne leave in a month they'll be a lot of talk about them being offered the best possible deal. Exactly the same as what happened with Jack Cork. I think alot of stuff that comes out of the club is still dishonest & it's that which annoys me. They spend far too much time doing this sort of thing while talking about ambition on the other side of there mouths.

Poll: Where will Saints finish?

Ralph Explains the 32m black hole... on 13:51 - May 22 with 2680 viewsClickInsect

Well if they insist on doing transfers this way, a 15m signing is going to cost 30m on this method. So the difference in tv deals etc. is not going to go far at all.

Ralph Explains the 32m black hole... on 13:53 - May 22 with 2673 viewsDel_Bianco

It is and it isnt complete shite.

The vast majority of transfers fees are paid over the period of the contract, ie a £10m signing on a 4 year deal would usually cost the clubs £2.5m in transfer fees plus whatever wages the player is on. Of course that works the same way the other way round, so although the transfer fees incoming would be around £100m we would only have actually got about £25m up front, with the rest spread out over the players contract. So with down payments, signing on fees to the players, agent fees etc, we probably did spend most of what we had come in.

DOnt believe me? Rememeber 5 years ago when people were w*nking themselves stupid as Cortese had got the Chamberlain money all up front. To be fair to the former CEO that was a great deal for the club and the fact everyone was so excited about it proves how unusual it is.

Part of A small, but perfectly formed nucleus of clueless c**ts bowling underarm, deludely thinking they're in the big leagues since December 2015
Poll: what do you prefer?

Ralph Explains the 32m black hole... on 13:59 - May 22 with 2654 viewsClickInsect

Completely different thing.

Thats transfer fee structure, this is including the wage as part of the transfer fee as a one off sum.

Ralph Explains the 32m black hole... on 14:05 - May 22 with 2634 viewsDel_Bianco

So you think that clubs dont take into account the players wages as part of their oveall OPEX when signing them? Okay then.....

Part of A small, but perfectly formed nucleus of clueless c**ts bowling underarm, deludely thinking they're in the big leagues since December 2015

Ralph Explains the 32m black hole... on 14:13 - May 22 with 2613 viewsKennington

My advice is don't let these things worry you. if Ralph wants to do accounting this way then so be it. We clearly bought very well in the summer and there was no evidence of penny pinching at all. Other than going into admin by massively overspending or alternatively massively underspending, I've not got the slightest interest in financial arrangements and I'll leave that to Ralph and his more than capable team.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Ralph Explains the 32m black hole... on 14:15 - May 22 with 2603 viewsDel_Bianco

It's funny that clicks little hobby horse a few weeks ago was that our wage bill was 16th in the league, now he's bashing Ralph because he didn't spend as much as he though we should have, even though we're still in with a chance of finishing 5th this season.Next week it'll be something else.

Ralph Explains the 32m black hole... on 14:20 - May 22 with 2589 viewsClickInsect

Wage bills have always been prepared on a year-by-year basis since the history of professional football I should think. Certainly since the premier league era with the yearly cash payments. No club I've ever heard of before has taken money out of cash flow on year one to cover a five year contractual agreement. If you think about clubs like United, it would cause a huge year one liability for a signing like Di Maria, requiring a huge reduction in shareholder dividend & the only upside of doing so would be that you'd have a certain amount of assurance if the club got itself into deep trouble. Prudence again.

Also, don't do dots people will think you are DOC.

Ralph Explains the 32m black hole... on 14:21 - May 22 with 2577 viewsClickInsect

There is plenty of evidence of penny pinching. I've been talking about myriad examples all season.

As far as what you talk about, of course whatever you are interested in.

Ralph Explains the 32m black hole... on 14:23 - May 22 with 2571 viewsDel_Bianco

The Southampton Way has been to do something differently. Heard the one about the club that went from bottom of league one to challenging for Europe in 6 years? It seems to be working doesn't it.

Ralph Explains the 32m black hole... on 14:23 - May 22 with 2569 viewsHatch

"Also, don't do dots people will think you are DOC."

But as Alby/AllSaintsDave would say, docs dots have a particular style.

Allo creeps.

Ralph Explains the 32m black hole... on 14:29 - May 22 with 2556 viewsClickInsect

You mean something else relating to the news that is actually coming out of the club, funny that! A bit like when the club were improving year after year under the last administration and you were constantly finding things to bash the club about.

If the club finishes 5th I'll be celebrating because I watch the team every week, one way or another. You on the other hand, watch the club's scores & "arrange meets" with teenage boys at football stadiums occasionally and then get upset when they don't turn up.

I treat this administration exactly the same as the last one. Both were successful. The last one had awful PR & this one spins it' bollocks off. They both get more right than wrong, you can appreciate them in general without being blind to faults. In a few years time it'll be Ralph gone, or both him & Kat and they'll be somebody else and I'll treat them the same way too.

The person that own Southampton & the people that run it, are not the club. They should always be held to account. It doesn't matter to me that you don't think like that.

Ralph Explains the 32m black hole... on 14:34 - May 22 with 2538 viewsDel_Bianco

You've only posted on here for a year, how do you know what i was posting in the 5 years before that?

Completely agree that they should be held to account. And they should be lauded for giving us our highest place finishing since 1990, strengthening the club, growing commerical revenues off the pitch, whilst at the same time keeping our wage bill lower than clubs who will finish far below us, making a profit in transfer activity and reducing rhe debt they were saddled with by the previous CEO. Surely this should be praised as improving performance and lowering costs is the perfect business model?

Ralph Explains the 32m black hole... on 14:36 - May 22 with 2531 viewsClickInsect

Cortese invented the Southampton Way six years ago and it's responsible for our success then?

Honestly, I know you are just in this for the aggro because that's what you live for. But if a chairman says he is going to spend every penny gained via player sales & then doesn't while inventing a daft and punitive financial practice then I think it's worth a mention!

Who knows whether it's a good idea. Personally, I don't like anything that makes the clubs finances less flexible and adds ANOTHER financial restraint to the club beyond the transfer spend and wage bill which are already very low. No matter how well the team does, they will not reach maximum potential while the budgets are hamstrung. You always do more with more. What would this setup manage if it had the 10th biggest budget?

Ralph Explains the 32m black hole... on 14:40 - May 22 with 2511 viewsDel_Bianco

Who knows it's a good idea? Surely lowering costs and improving performance is what all companies aspire too?

And you didn't answer the question, how do you know what i posted before you came on here?

Ralph Explains the 32m black hole... on 14:42 - May 22 with 2505 viewsDel_Bianco

What would this setup manage if it had the 10th biggest budget?

narrowly avoiding relegation two years in a row like Sunderland who have the 10th biggest expenditure, or how about be relegated like QPR who had the 8th.

Ralph Explains the 32m black hole... on 14:53 - May 22 with 2472 viewsClickInsect

Who I am then? Or is it possible to infer what you thought about the administration from all the things you've said about Cortese's time within the last year. Are we going to have the past, present future conversation again?

"And they should be lauded for giving us our highest place finishing since 1990, strengthening the club, growing commerical revenues off the pitch, whilst at the same time keeping our wage bill lower than clubs who will finish far below us, making a profit in transfer activity and reducing rhe debt they were saddled with by the previous CEO. Surely this should be praised as improving performance and lowering costs is the perfect business model?"

Well firstly, it didn't matter to you that Cortese took a league 1 side and turned it into an established premier league side worth at least 5 times the money invested by the owners. So again, I find the attitude weird.

My personal view is that I don't give a shite about the business model as far as turning a profit goes, I didn't care under Cortese & I don't now. As a paying fan I just want to see the best team possible to put on the pitch. I'd like to celebrate trophies, I get no joy at all from seeing a billionaire make 30m profit per season from the club. I don't see that as any more "sustainable" than making a 30m loss.

I'm not interested in judging the club on a points per pound basis, if that was the case then Burnley would be the best team in the league this season. All of the things the club are developing on and off the pitch is fantastic & I hope they are sustainable, but the situation is no different to Arsenal's over the last decade. A well run club is great, but a club that puts sporting achievement first is better. I want this club to be willing to lose 20m in a season to make it back the next. I don't turn up everyweek to watch the balance sheet. The current lot are doing a brilliant job, but I want to see some financial ambition to match the talk. At the moment Ralph & Les were talking about Champions League while admitting that they didn't have the "roster" to get it. Ok, so let's build that roster & let's not add to FFP & our existing financial restraints by inventing new ones ourselves.

Ralph Explains the 32m black hole... on 14:55 - May 22 with 2466 viewsClickInsect

So if Ronald, Les & the scouts had more money, they'd do a worse job is your point?

Ralph Explains the 32m black hole... on 14:58 - May 22 with 2455 viewsDel_Bianco

If you dont give a shit about the business model why were you whining last week about our low wage bill and why are you whining now about us not spending what you think we should have?

Cortese did a great job and presided over our rise from L1 to the premier league but he didnt make a profit in any of those years. The current board have shown it's posible to have a successful football team, grow commerical revenue, make a profit and not be complete coonts to everyone you come across on the way.

Ralph Explains the 32m black hole... on 15:01 - May 22 with 2445 viewsClickInsect

Because during the 1970s I was involved in a project experimenting with Dolphins & LSD in the hopes of being able to control them via the power of the mind. Instead during my visions, the Dolphin told me of a future being by the name of Del_Bianco and told me that I could predict his thoughts by simply imagining the most reactionary clueless, idiotic thing that I can think of. As such, I know every opinion you've had on everything, for the past thirty years.

That or, in the last year you've made about 100 threads slagging off Cortese as well as numerous digs at Saint_73 (i.e. Me) which led me to think that you weren't a late convert. Add that to the fact that the Cortese haters in cyber space all gravitate around Nick & I should think it's pretty obvious no?

Please feel free to go over and over this again. After you started an argument again, for the sake of it, taking an opposite side before you even knew what was being talked about. Will make a change from DOC conversations.

Ralph Explains the 32m black hole... on 15:05 - May 22 with 2432 viewsLord_Sutch

Clickie's having another meltdown........

NURSE!!!

Ralph Explains the 32m black hole... on 15:06 - May 22 with 2426 viewsClickInsect

So you are saying the issue with Cortese was that you should be able to take a team through the leagues while making a profit? Do you enjoy reading about the profit by the way? More or less than when you check out the scores after games?

"My personal view is that I don't give a shite about the business model as far as turning a profit goes".

Which part of that statement did you miss? "as turning a profit goes". Which means that I'm concerned about the business model producing the best results on the pitch presumably? We have a laugh me and you.

Ralph Explains the 32m black hole... on 15:07 - May 22 with 2415 viewsClickInsect

Why do you never say that when I'm posting on my other accounts?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024