Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
froch v groves 21:16 - Nov 22 with 7176 viewsthemodfather

i have always rated froch..he has been in a few wars and many world title fights...i think groves is ok ( shame he's a chelsea plum) but not ready for froch.
the interest is, can the younger man overcome the aging champ?
a rocky story....or will froch's experience, stamina,power and being a long time champ see him thru?
if it was kessler v froch, i'd say kessler ko's groves early doors...kessler is a top fighter and froch nearly had him down on the way to a good pts win and an epic row!
bar the bute fight, froch has not knocked many down....hope i get the chance to see it live.
froch v groves on 23:53 - Nov 23 with 1756 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

froch v groves on 23:49 - Nov 23 by qprwpg

Disagree with ya there Pabs, scum or not he was the better fighter. There was no reason to stop the fight.

What I was watching really was stop motion! But from what I could see, it looked like it was just a matter of seconds before some real damage would be done BUT the defense was still there so it should have continued to allow (what I deemed to be!) the inevitable to happen.

Gutted the stream/my laptop/sky's crap internet service was so poor though it looked like a good fight.
froch v groves on 23:57 - Nov 23 with 1738 viewsqprwpg

froch v groves on 23:53 - Nov 23 by Pablo_Hoopsta

What I was watching really was stop motion! But from what I could see, it looked like it was just a matter of seconds before some real damage would be done BUT the defense was still there so it should have continued to allow (what I deemed to be!) the inevitable to happen.

Gutted the stream/my laptop/sky's crap internet service was so poor though it looked like a good fight.

I think you were let down by the stream. Groves looked shaken up but not to the point of stopping the fight. I'd understand if he was getting pummelled with no response, but that wasn't the case.

Twitter: @qprwpg

froch v groves on 00:03 - Nov 24 with 1717 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

froch v groves on 23:57 - Nov 23 by qprwpg

I think you were let down by the stream. Groves looked shaken up but not to the point of stopping the fight. I'd understand if he was getting pummelled with no response, but that wasn't the case.

Im sure Ill catch it on youtube at some stage..!

Anyway, even if Froch is from that hole Snottingham, Ive always liked him as a fighter and enjoyed watching him over the years, while I dont really care for Groves, so Im not too upset with the outcome ;)
froch v groves on 00:03 - Nov 24 with 1717 viewsTheBlob

Bent as a nine bob note.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

froch v groves on 00:04 - Nov 24 with 1717 viewscalders

Refs just ruined what could of been one of British boxings classics. Bookies couldn't afford to lose this fight, the hearns are as bent as fukc.
froch v groves on 00:10 - Nov 24 with 1705 viewsTheBlob

froch v groves on 00:04 - Nov 24 by calders

Refs just ruined what could of been one of British boxings classics. Bookies couldn't afford to lose this fight, the hearns are as bent as fukc.

Jim Watt had Groves 5 points ahead.5 points."Froch cannot win this fight" he says.And then right on cue at the end of the fight the grinning Hearns clan.
Saw it coming a mile off.Even Mickey Duff couldn't get away with bollocks like this.

froch v groves on 01:28 - Nov 24 with 1623 viewszicoshoops

Groves missed his chance.
Had him going, and should have finished it within the first three rounds.
Miles ahead on points, but the the signs were there the round before it was stopped.
Thought the Ref was picky with all the breaks in action for talks.
But thought he was spot on stopping it.
It didn't look fair, but Groves was gone, he could have ended up coping some serious damage.

At least they both get another payday.
Froch gets older..........and Groves should train for a 6 rounder, and try and bang him out within 5 rounds..........not sure he can though.

Christ knows what some of the great departed champs in the boxing ring in the sky made of that.
froch v groves on 07:42 - Nov 24 with 1542 viewsthemodfather

ok again a chelsea involvement sees a bad loser and chaos and blaming the ref....groves had his chance and didn't finish it....some commentators are saying groves was out on his feet and was in danger..what do people want? stretchers and brain damage?
i listened on radio due to being at work, and groves was ahead, probably 3 rds at least but it ain't over til it's over and the records won't show who was ahead, just froch won tko.
groves will be back and will be a world champion, i reckon he shock a few up with a good display but froch has had 2 wars with kessler, now this, and always comes thru....ward may be the one that gets away from him, unless ward's shoulder injury impairs him.
wish somehwere would have the stoppage, you tube has loads of anger comments, no footage, doh!
Login to get fewer ads

froch v groves on 11:46 - Nov 24 with 1439 viewsdaveB

I felt Froch acted like a prat in the build up, very insecure unable to handle Groves just saying he was going to win and accusing him of all sorts. People talked a lot about Groves having a big mouth but all the talk all the abuse was coming from Froch, all Groves said was that he was ready and was going to win.

He tried to bully Groves and ended up completely outclassed for most of the fight, he was in far more trouble in round one than Groves was at the end.

Who knows if Froch would have gone onto win anyway, I'm not so sure and for the judges cards to be so close was ridiculous. Not fussed that Groves is Chelsea, he deserved better last night
froch v groves on 12:33 - Nov 24 with 1408 viewsNeil_SI

I'm not so sure Groves was gone, if you've seen his fights in the past, he's been in more trouble in some of them and adopts that kind of style that you saw when he's defending and is tired. It happened with James De Gale, and he went on to win that one.

He was a little tired and sloppy that's all, which of course, could have led to Froch getting on top if the timing was right, but I didn't really see it. Froch was also hurt and tired, he wouldn't have really been able to continue a sustained assault and if he did, and didn't get anything out of it at the end, he would have been out of gas as well and ready to go.

The referee could have waited a few more seconds really. It would have unravelled pretty quickly and even if Froch landed one more big shot, there would have been time to step in. It's a hard call, but to be frank, Froch was far more hurt and buzzed throughout that match than Groves was, and if you're going to stop Groves in that scenario then the referee should have brought an end to the contest earlier in Groves' favour as he was hitting Froch at will in some of those rounds.

I felt Groves would win the match before the fight, I've enjoyed seeing how he's developed over the years, so I expected him to win. It didn't turn out that way of course, but the pleasing thing is that he knew how well he'd done afterwards and didn't seem that phased by the official "loss" going on his record. Froch knows he was schooled and in many ways, knows he lost the fight for what it's worth.

Groves can take the experience and build on it, plenty of positives for him. In a rematch though, I'd strangely give Froch more of a chance, I think he'd have to come out absolutely blazing and looking for a hard and fast knock out if he can, and at that level, when they punch in flurries like they did, if you connect and land one or two then you're in and that's not out of either mans bounds.

Groves would simply need to box the same way — but work on his concentration and stamina and look to pick Froch off. If he can avoid getting hit and slip any onslaughts, it's a points of stoppage win for him most of the time.

Nice to see the crowd appreciate Groves' effort after initially giving him a hard time.
froch v groves on 12:59 - Nov 24 with 1374 viewsdaveB

if the 9th round stoppage was justified then it should have been stopped in the 1st round when Froch had gone
froch v groves on 13:33 - Nov 24 with 1353 views100percent

froch v groves on 12:33 - Nov 24 by Neil_SI

I'm not so sure Groves was gone, if you've seen his fights in the past, he's been in more trouble in some of them and adopts that kind of style that you saw when he's defending and is tired. It happened with James De Gale, and he went on to win that one.

He was a little tired and sloppy that's all, which of course, could have led to Froch getting on top if the timing was right, but I didn't really see it. Froch was also hurt and tired, he wouldn't have really been able to continue a sustained assault and if he did, and didn't get anything out of it at the end, he would have been out of gas as well and ready to go.

The referee could have waited a few more seconds really. It would have unravelled pretty quickly and even if Froch landed one more big shot, there would have been time to step in. It's a hard call, but to be frank, Froch was far more hurt and buzzed throughout that match than Groves was, and if you're going to stop Groves in that scenario then the referee should have brought an end to the contest earlier in Groves' favour as he was hitting Froch at will in some of those rounds.

I felt Groves would win the match before the fight, I've enjoyed seeing how he's developed over the years, so I expected him to win. It didn't turn out that way of course, but the pleasing thing is that he knew how well he'd done afterwards and didn't seem that phased by the official "loss" going on his record. Froch knows he was schooled and in many ways, knows he lost the fight for what it's worth.

Groves can take the experience and build on it, plenty of positives for him. In a rematch though, I'd strangely give Froch more of a chance, I think he'd have to come out absolutely blazing and looking for a hard and fast knock out if he can, and at that level, when they punch in flurries like they did, if you connect and land one or two then you're in and that's not out of either mans bounds.

Groves would simply need to box the same way — but work on his concentration and stamina and look to pick Froch off. If he can avoid getting hit and slip any onslaughts, it's a points of stoppage win for him most of the time.

Nice to see the crowd appreciate Groves' effort after initially giving him a hard time.

Strange how different people read the match in different ways. I'm a big fan of Froch, I think he always comes across as the consummate professional and has a discipline unequalled by other british boxers. I agree that he got drawn into the hype before the match too much for my liking.
I think Groves literally threw the kitchen sink at Froch - totally surprised me as I didn't think he had that much power in him but I disagree with you about how the fight was finishing. Granted the referee ended the fight too early, it really was an embarrassing decision but Groves looked like he had nothing left. Froch was far too strong towards the end IMHO and it was only a matter of minutes before he either knocked him out, or the fight was stopped. There was nearly 10 minutes of boxing left and for me there was only going to be one winner.
I think Groves can come out of it with his head held high - he outclassed Froch for long periods of the early rounds. His lack of experience began to show at the later stages of the fight though and I'm sure he will come back wiser and stronger.
The rematch is going to have a lot to live up to, I doubt whether either boxer would approach the event in the same manner.
Terrific fight.
froch v groves on 14:12 - Nov 24 with 1325 viewshoopdog

Froch was on top when the ref farked up but it wasn't all one way Groves was fighting back quite strongly and just as capable of landing some descent shots himself and of seeing the round out , as said he deserved the benifit of a standing count at the very least
froch v groves on 14:19 - Nov 24 with 1321 viewsBrightonhoop

Ref's are in an impossible role. If he had stood by and there was brain damage or worse in the moments ahead, he would have been hung out to dry. Step in and stops it, and he gets hung out to dry....
Was an excellent fight.
froch v groves on 14:41 - Nov 24 with 1309 viewsTheBlob

froch v groves on 14:19 - Nov 24 by Brightonhoop

Ref's are in an impossible role. If he had stood by and there was brain damage or worse in the moments ahead, he would have been hung out to dry. Step in and stops it, and he gets hung out to dry....
Was an excellent fight.

Don't hold your breath about a rematch.

froch v groves on 14:49 - Nov 24 with 1283 viewsNeil_SI

Edit: Duh, keep forgetting to reply properly (in response to Mr 100percent)

Well I'm no expert in the sport of boxing, so I can only tell it how I thought I saw it. I'm a fan of both men, but to me, Froch is a club fighter who lacks the technical skills, both in defence and attack, and his lack of defensive care in this one was actually pretty scary.

He is very tough though and can hit hard, but not even Mikkel Kessler who is also very strong, could get him out of there, even if he came close. But those fights with Kessler have probably taken their toll on Froch and exaggerated that lack of speed and technical care even more. He was badly exposed, and if he wasn't and just took Groves lightly, then he's pretty stupid. World Class boxers do not fall into that trap — like how Groves did when he dropped his gloves, but that on Groves' part is just inexperience.

From my perspective, in that final round, I actually thought Froch was very desperate, simply because of the way he was wildly swinging and thrashing punches around, it made me feel like it was him who was on his last legs and he was trying to go for broke in a bid to land something big and swing proceedings in his favour. He didn't look in control.

But of course, he did land with some, but he could easily have been tagged on the counter and completely finished himself in some of those exchanges. I think a more experienced Groves, able to pace himself at that level and with more experience, would have exposed that desperation and finished Froch.

Maybe you can debate that it wasn't desperation on Froch's part, and that his experience knew that was the best moment in the match to go wild like that, but I really don't think that was the case, he was getting beaten up and only Groves' stamina was the question mark, and, in what ultimately happened, whether if he got tagged by a couple of big ones, whether he could take it. I think he would have managed to smother and hang on, and if the fight had been officiated properly - I think he would have won more easily. The referee allowed Froch lots of dirty exchanges in clinches and after breaks had been called. Had that not happened, as some of those free punches surely took their toll as well, maybe, just maybe, Groves would had been a bit fresher.

There were times when some of Froch's antics were really unsavoury to the point, I felt like, jeeze, you're getting beaten up fair and square so you're resorting to this? Doesn't change my mind about Froch mind, I like him. He's fought hard over the years, always against the best opponents he can and I respect that an awful lot.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2013 14:52]
froch v groves on 16:53 - Nov 24 with 1243 viewsthemodfather

froch was behind on the cards and knew it.....he had to battle and slug and get the big shot and did.
champions always get the rub of the green, check the pts wins of sturm for starters but many have said groves can recover, it's a big fight going out worldwide and for 2 titles....both fighters were marked up, groves had a cut and 2 beaut black eyes as did froch.
froch had to use his stamina, experience as i said in the original post...i never expected such a top show from groves, he'll be back and as champ soon . would degale fancy groves again now?
for me, i'm glad froch won, but he has to really think of stepping down now, 2 wars with kessler, this with groves among others....age not on his side, why go on and take losses and lose a proud record?
froch v groves on 16:55 - Nov 24 with 1240 viewshoopdog

froch v groves on 14:41 - Nov 24 by TheBlob

Don't hold your breath about a rematch.

Can't see an early rematch myself Iv'e got a hunch James Degale could be next up unless they look for an easier opponant from abroad
froch v groves on 16:57 - Nov 24 with 1238 viewsTheBlob

froch v groves on 16:53 - Nov 24 by themodfather

froch was behind on the cards and knew it.....he had to battle and slug and get the big shot and did.
champions always get the rub of the green, check the pts wins of sturm for starters but many have said groves can recover, it's a big fight going out worldwide and for 2 titles....both fighters were marked up, groves had a cut and 2 beaut black eyes as did froch.
froch had to use his stamina, experience as i said in the original post...i never expected such a top show from groves, he'll be back and as champ soon . would degale fancy groves again now?
for me, i'm glad froch won, but he has to really think of stepping down now, 2 wars with kessler, this with groves among others....age not on his side, why go on and take losses and lose a proud record?

All three judges had Froch ahead at the point of stoppage.

As I said,well topped up.

froch v groves on 18:12 - Nov 24 with 1186 viewsdaveB

froch v groves on 16:57 - Nov 24 by TheBlob

All three judges had Froch ahead at the point of stoppage.

As I said,well topped up.

no they didn't, Groves was 5 rounds ahead on one scorecard and one round on the other two
froch v groves on 23:34 - Nov 24 with 1102 viewsToast_R

Glad it was stopped when it was better to be safe then sorry.

Would hate to see another Gerald McClellan incident
froch v groves on 23:38 - Nov 24 with 1099 viewsdaveB

froch v groves on 23:34 - Nov 24 by Toast_R

everyone would hate to see that but if you stop fights for that they'd all stop after the first combination connected, was ridiculous
froch v groves on 00:35 - Nov 25 with 1086 viewscarrotcrunch_R

I watched this in a Newcastle bar where everyone was a froch supporter but at the end everyone said the stoppage was a disgrace and groves had done himself proud . We all know he was winning the fight and he wasn't knocked off his feet like froch was. There was no denying froch was on top when it was stopped but groves was very much still all there in mind and control.
froch v groves on 02:18 - Nov 25 with 1075 viewsSonofNorfolt

froch v groves on 23:34 - Nov 24 by Toast_R

Benn v Mclellan was one of the greatest fights I've ever seen, wasn't there a lot of talk about hypnosis at the time?

Last night was the quickest I've ever seen a ref jump in.
Shame, as the viewing public wanted it to continue.
Give both men credit. Froch is a durable bugger isn't he?
froch v groves on 06:38 - Nov 25 with 1048 viewsPommyhoop

froch v groves on 02:18 - Nov 25 by SonofNorfolt

Benn v Mclellan was one of the greatest fights I've ever seen, wasn't there a lot of talk about hypnosis at the time?

Last night was the quickest I've ever seen a ref jump in.
Shame, as the viewing public wanted it to continue.
Give both men credit. Froch is a durable bugger isn't he?

I think the' hypnosis' fight was Eubank // Collins . Talk of Collins being hypnotysed and was impossible to beat really freaked Chris Eubank out..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024